Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*PITCH INSPECTION 1pm* Charlton v Gillingham | 13th Feb | 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    I wrote a while ago (for what it's worth) that all the February games are winnable and as far as I was concerned, Bowyer had wins in last week's game and this one to secure his job (just my opinion) .. we should win this although the Gills under Nutty Steve will be keen to get a result against their posher, bigger neighbours in S E 7
    @ForeverAddickted says that Stockley and F-Caskey are slight fitness doubts, that is a shame as both would be first choices in my starting Xl .. Bowyer MUST consistently select his best available team (what do we know what is in his mind though ?) for the rest of the season and stop continual and experimental rotation .. we need a nice easy 4 4 2 and concentrate as far as possible on  attack as the best form of defence.
    Thanks to the inconsistency of our promotion rivals, or, if you prefer, the general decent standard of this division, we are still in the top six. I expect us to still be there on Saturday evening

CAFC 2 v Gillingham 0
  • Options
    This is the first of five games we should be winning before we meet Karl and his Oxford side.

I wouldn't change the side from the one that faced Rochdale personally unless their is injuries/fitness issues. LB mentions Forster-Kasky and Chucks possibly having fitness issues. If that's the case i would go with putting Shinnie in the middle or Matt Smith and have Morgan on the right. With the idea to bring DJ on in the second half. 
  • Options
    I wrote a while ago (for what it's worth) that all the February games are winnable and as far as I was concerned, Bowyer had wins in last week's game and this one to secure his job (just my opinion) .. we should win this although the Gills under Nutty Steve will be keen to get a result against their posher, bigger neighbours in S E 7
    @ForeverAddickted says that Stockley and F-Caskey are slight fitness doubts, that is a shame as both would be first choices in my starting Xl .. Bowyer MUST consistently select his best available team (what do we know what is in his mind though ?) for the rest of the season and stop continual and experimental rotation .. we need a nice easy 4 4 2 and concentrate as far as possible on  attack as the best form of defence.
    Thanks to the inconsistency of our promotion rivals, or, if you prefer, the general decent standard of this division, we are still in the top six. I expect us to still be there on Saturday evening

CAFC 2 v Gillingham 0
    I am confident that Bowyer always picks what he thinks are the best players.
  • Options
    The Stockley development could be to confuse Gills and he will play. I hope so. 
  • Options
    4-2.
    Ill put money on it. 

=kiss of death. 
  • Options
    3-1 Charlton.  Stockley, Purrington & Shinnie.

If we can repeat last week and step it up when needed, I think we will win comfortably. 

Last weeks aggression and desire is a consistent factor we need to keep!
  • Options
    Is Evans the big Bully from posh..? Oooh ....
    4:2 to us the nice ones
  • Options
    I've no idea what team he'll put out, as he'll be conscious of not overplaying players with niggles (e.g. JFC), AND knowing Bowyer will be considering whether the Gillingham defence is more vulnerable to power/height or pace and movement.

This is a game we need to win, and a game we should win, but it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up a draw...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought it was Stockley who was the other player with a minor niggle?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

CAFC 2 v Gillingham 0
    I am confident that Bowyer always picks what he thinks are the best players.
    He just said, in an interview, quoted half a page up, that he doesn't!! 
  • Options
    If JFC is not fit enough to start he shouldn't be on the bench either.  Stockley I can sort of understand having him on the bench to bring on, in an emergency, with 10 or so minutes to go. 

We can't keep "resting" people by putting them on the bench and bringing them on at half time because we are chasing the game.  If they can play the 50 odd minutes of the second half they can start and play an hour, unless that extra hours recovery time makes all the difference?!?

Has to be the same team unless someone is actually injured. Looking forward to the team news and not seeing "4 changes for Lee Bowyer’s boys".

Same team or close to it 3-0, 3 or more changes all bets are off. 
  • Options
    I'd really like us to keep the same team for once, although if (as it appears) JFC is out, I'd bring Matt Smith into central midfield. Hopefully Stockley can start, as he's a cut above at this level and also very useful in defending high balls into our box.

I don't believe that Lee will start with two wingers and two strikers given our defensive record but I can see Jaiyesimi being introduced at some stage from the bench.

4 wins from 12 league matches at home is very poor but I'm reasonably confident that we'll send Evan, Scally et al back down the A2 empty handed.
  • Options
    I thought it was Stockley who was the other player with a minor niggle?
    JFC has a niggle also. 
  • Options
    Any news on Gilbey?  I know he was poor during our bad spell, but just think our midfield lacks a bit of zip and bite.  Hoping he could be eased back into it from the bench.  I'm looking forward to seeing Matt Smith, but going forward we're desperate for someone in cm to make destructive/turnover tackles.

Fitness and Sparrow Lane form aside, Jaiyesmi's a must for me.  He's physical and get's us up the pitch in a multitude of ways, just as importantly he rarely seems to get turned over.
  • Options
    There's no mention anywhere of Stockley having a niggle? Agree with keeping the team as similar as possible and also not putting "70pc" fit players on the bench. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    There's no mention anywhere of Stockley having a niggle? Agree with keeping the team as similar as possible and also not putting "70pc" fit players on the bench. 
    Mentioned at the bottom of the article that he felt tight somewhere earlier in the week
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/addicks-boss-pleased-to-see-on-loan-norwich-man-make-comeback-positive-news-on-midfields-scan/
  • Options
    Have we got our undersoil heating sorted? Friday night is going as low as -4, and won't be going above zero all day (currently).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kentred2 said:
    Gillingham first played at the valley in September 1921 and in the subsequent 100 years or so have only won once at the Valley in 2017/18, which given they did the double that season must be one of Charlton’s lowest ever points. 
    That is the sort of stat that could bite you on the arse.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    mendonca said:
    Mentioned at the bottom of the article that he felt tight somewhere earlier in the week
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/addicks-boss-pleased-to-see-on-loan-norwich-man-make-comeback-positive-news-on-midfields-scan/
    That's what's slightly confusing

The earlier piece mentioned JFC and Stockley being away from the group on Tuesday
    The second one mentions JFC and Pearce being away from the group on Tuesday

Was Stockley an error in the first story?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Bowyer has to play Aneke and Stockley together whenever they can. 
  • Options
    Love to see starting line up in opening post.

3-0 win if it is.
  • Options
    I wouldn't. Schwartz hasn't fully found his feet yet and we have reason to suspect that playing Aneke and Stockley together was a big factor in our decisive victory on Saturday. That has to be fully tested until we know it isn't/wasn't.

Ideally we get a decent lead then give Schwartz a bit of time.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    All I can say it's that we wont start with the same starting 11 as last week & if we go 1-0 down then we wont win. Apart from that everything else is up for grabs.

Another non-binary game........3-2 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-wants-officials-to-be-strong-in-gillingham-match/

There is a really simple solution to this.  

Get Ryan Inniss to sit on the bench on Saturday. Or in the west stand behind the Gillingham dugout 😅😅
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    Literally spells it out why he can’t pick the same 11 every game and you just won’t listen.

im completely lost 
    Literally spells out why he WON'T pick the same 11 every game and you just won't accept it. 

I am completely lost.

If a player can play 50 minutes, 60 minutes, or longer.  As we have seen with Chuks and others, coming on as a sub, can you explain how they can do that yet aren't able to start?

If you "rest" a player because he isn't fit enough to start how does bringing him on during the 1st half help anyone? 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    Literally spells it out why he can’t pick the same 11 every game and you just won’t listen.

im completely lost 
    Literally spells out why he WON'T pick the same 11 every game and you just won't accept it. 

I am completely lost.

If a player can play 50 minutes, 60 minutes, or longer.  As we have seen with Chuks and others, coming on as a sub, can you explain how they can do that yet aren't able to start?

If you "rest" a player because he isn't fit enough to start how does bringing him on during the 1st half help anyone? 

Chuks is brilliant at bullying players. He’s even better at it when they are knackered after 60 mins of football and he comes on fresh.

It’s very likely the game plan is to hope not to use certain players that need a rest, but as is clearly obvious it’s a results based business so bowyer is forced to throw people on.

Yes id rather we weren’t chasing the game at the end, yea it’s frustrating, but you can’t always have what you want.

has anyone told you no before?