Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*PITCH INSPECTION 1pm* Charlton v Gillingham | 13th Feb | 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Ground temperature isn't affected by wind chill factor I think? Feels like minus 10 doesn't make any difference to the freeze or thaw. On the other hand it's still minus 3 and not forecast to rise above freezing before the match. 

Back to the Australian open.
  • Options
    The only Tuesdays gillingham currently have spare are 23rd March, 13th April, 27th April and 4th May. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Feels like is not a real metric.

But as I said yesterday, can't see this one happening.
    It’s a metric of what it feels like...
  • Options
    Can they at least announce it early if it's off. Can't stand the disappointment close to kick-off time
  • Options
    It’s ok chaps, Sky Sports have a live game at 3pm if our match is called off...
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Can they at least announce it early if it's off. Can't stand the disappointment close to kick-off time
    Normally I'd agree with this.
    But with no fan's to consider I think they will give it until the last minute to try and keep the game on.
  • Options
    1-1 if it goes ahead 
  • Options
    With Thomas now in charge, I hope that we can have heaters shining onto the pitch next season when we rely the new one. Or even this season would be still beneficial.

Under soil heating is different. Not that, the other heaters.
  • Options
    I'd like the game to go ahead but not if an injury prone squad is likely to pick up more injuries!

We also don't have a fixture pile up so am not overly concerned with it moving to the right when we are going to steamroll every single team to finish 1st/2nd.
  • Options
    Had a dream that Joe Anyinsah(spelling?) put is 1 up and then we lost 10-2. Not sure what to think now!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Chunes said:
    Cant do anything until the Referee turns up... He's the one who will be making the decision - Ita a bit like that game against Southampton on Boxing Day, pitch might even be fine but if he's not happy with a tiny corner then it wont be going ahead
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Looking at the fixtures there could be a lot of league 1 games off today, I assume Sunderland and possibly Hull have under soul heating?

There is currently only 2 league 2 games on.

Hopefully this is the last weekend of really bad weather else the season may have to be extended.  A lot of teams are already down to their last one or two spare dates. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Looking at the fixtures there could be a lot of league 1 games off today, I assume Sunderland and possibly Hull have under soul heating?

Hopefully this is the last weekend of really bad weather else the season may have to be extended.  A lot of teams are already down to their last one or two spare dates. 
    Unless the League make teams play three times a week... they did it to Rochdale when they had about ten games in hand a few years ago
  • Options
    One of the big problems at the valley is the stands stop any sunlight getting onto big areas of the pitch .. so half might be fine the other half not ??
  • Options
    Can't see it going ahead but got a boring 1-1 draw all over it if it does. 
  • Options
    AFC Wimbledon v Rochdale is off
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Unless the League make teams play three times a week... they did it to Rochdale when they had about ten games in hand a few years ago
    This is part of the reason I’m not as worried as some about all these games in hand around us. I don’t believe those squads are going to be able to cope with games every 3 or 4 days for weeks in a row. 

Some of these sides have proven to have a quality 11 and 2 or 3 subs. But playing 3 times a week every week, they’ll need the whole squad, which is where some of them are going to really struggle. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Just been out with the dog. It is a bit of a strange one as there is no sign of surface frost and the grass is green and looks good. But when you walk on it, it is rock hard. 

I believe the ref will go out wearing studs and the criteria will be that the pitch will take a stud. That is every part of the pitch, not just most of it. If he was doing it here, with the grass looking fine, it wouldn't go ahead as it is too hard to take a stud.

We have two factors to consider, The sun. Will that make a difference, and the frost covers. I haven't got a clue whether it will go ahead or not. If the ground was frozen white, I'd say definitely not. But it isn't. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see they also had the covers on. Based on that I can't see ours going ahead, conditions would surely be very similar.
  • Options
    It was bitterly cold around there yesterday...
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

This is part of the reason I’m not as worried as some about all these games in hand around us. I don’t believe those squads are going to be able to cope with games every 3 or 4 days for weeks in a row. 

Some of these sides have proven to have a quality 11 and 2 or 3 subs. But playing 3 times a week every week, they’ll need the whole squad, which is where some of them are going to really struggle. 
    I'm sort of the same opnion, just very undecided whether it'll benefit us or whether they'll be able to get through it

We saw how Portsmouth and Sunderland's form really tailed off in 2018/19 when the games caught up with them after their pointless adventure in the EFL Trophy - And Portsmouth this season are still eager to remove a League game and play the final from last year!!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I agree and think the same, but let's not forget the weaker teams they play are in the same boat.
  • Options
    Have we said if or when there will be a pitch inspection?
  • Options
    Have we said if or when there will be a pitch inspection?
    Nothing been mentioned at all which gives me a bit of hppe
  • Options
    We are entering the sort of time where you would expect something to be mentioned. On, off or in doubt. 
  • Options
    Be curious to know if the referee stayed overnight somewhere or is travelling up from Somerset this morning
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I agree and think the same, but let's not forget the weaker teams they play are in the same boat.
    True, very good point. 
  • Options
    We are entering the sort of time where you would expect something to be mentioned. On, off or in doubt. 
    The ref normally rocks up at about noon doesn't he?