Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*PITCH INSPECTION 1pm* Charlton v Gillingham | 13th Feb | 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    I do wonder if the scrapping of the salary cap will change the make up of the bench going foward. 

I wasn't aware that you could have player between 18-23 at the club, and pay them what you like, but couldn't play them. 

Explains Bowyer's comments about Lapslie and the reason why him and Wiredu left?

Also explains 3 center mids on the bench last week. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I can't see it going ahead with a -5C temperature at 6am and not reaching zero until 2pm.
    If the ground temperature is a few degrees below you're talking -8C and -3C at 2pm.
    My only doubt is the confidence of the club.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/se7
  • Options
    As I said before, if the pitch is playable at 3pm today, it will probably be playable at 3pm tomorrow and visa versa. For that reason it would be great to hear how it is at 3pm today. Hopefully the club will tell us.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    So reactive. What about Charlton playing a certain way and them having to adapt to us? We're at home and all
    Sure thats the plan but like any game, you have to be prepared for how they play and make the tweaks if need be. 

We're a footballing side and there a physical side so for us to prosper, we need to battle for second balls etc so we can play our game.

If it was a similar team to how we play, it would just be about who was better on the ball that day. 
    I thought we were decent physically last Saturday.
    Oh we were but if you had to define our style i think we have more technical players than physical imo. 

The 3-1 loss against Portsmouth springs to mind as a time we lost out physically.
  • Options
    3-0 Charlton
  • Options
    True but I think we balanced it better on Saturday. How do we make the front two more physical, against a physical side, if you take one of Stockley or Aneke out of it?
  • Options
    My guess is that it gets called off
  • Options
    Anoraks. Chorlton. Spotters. Valley express. Charlton Pathetic. Notebook, sandwiches and flask brigade. 

don't think they like us much

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/gills-vital-2020-2021-prediction-league-match-32-charlton-athletic-vs-gillingham.112762/

• Options
    As I said before, if the pitch is playable at 3pm today, it will probably be playable at 3pm tomorrow and visa versa. For that reason it would be great to hear how it is at 3pm today. Hopefully the club will tell us.
    It's going to be much colder tonight than last night. 

Weather forecast is -5 tonight, not warming up to 0 until midday at the earliest. 
  • Options
    Anoraks. Chorlton. Spotters. Valley express. Charlton Pathetic. Notebook, sandwiches and flask brigade. 
    don't think they like us much
    https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/gills-vital-2020-2021-prediction-league-match-32-charlton-athletic-vs-gillingham.112762/
    Love that they think Oshilaja is suddenly going to be scoring week in, week out after scoring his first in almost 18 months
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gillingham have a game on Tuesday, so the option of a quick rearrangement if the game is called off tomorrow isn't available
  • Options
    If it goes ahead, I'm thinking that we will see Pratley and Watson in the middle. This game will be a scrap. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I thought the covers worked down to -6?

Met office says -4, feels like -10 at 6am. I can't see it going ahead either unless the covers work.

Crewe v Portsmouth has already been called off
  • Options
    3 - 0 to the weather is my guess unfortunately.
  • Options
    I think it's touch and go whether it'll go ahead, but as it's local opposition there's no need to make an early decision and they'll leave it as late as possible
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Given that the frost covers are supposed to protect to an air temperature of -6 and it is looking to reach -6, then it looks marginal. What can be an issue is small parts of the pitch being frozen. Even if it is 1% of the pitch, that is enough to call it off. I am definitely not buying the game until I am confident it will go ahead.
  • Options
    Wonder if it could be moved 24 hours to Sunday as the temperature is forecast to be around 6 in the afternoon. Still hoping they can get it on tomorrow but can't see it
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    We haven't seen the pitch of course. The club hasn't put out any negative messages to counter the positive one earlier in the week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the game goes on it will be a tough one, time to end our home hoodoo perhaps?
    Can see another frustrating draw, 1-1.
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Wonder if it could be moved 24 hours to Sunday as the temperature is forecast to be around 6 in the afternoon. Still hoping they can get it on tomorrow but can't see it
    Gillingham have a game on Tuesday, so unlikely.
  • Options
    I can't see it going ahead with a -5C temperature at 6am and not reaching zero until 2pm.
    If the ground temperature is a few degrees below you're talking -8C and -3C at 2pm.
    My only doubt is the confidence of the club.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/se7
    The key words are “moderate breeze” which will ensure that the ground temperature isn’t greatly different to the air temperature.
  • Options
    Shouldn't be called off if we have covers that can withstand - 6°c.
    Purrington did enough to give Maatsen an extended break (he looked like he needed it). If Deji starts then he needs Pearce alongside him. 
    We can't have both Pratley and Watson starting. It's one or the other. Millar And Jaiyesimi should start wide and I'm more a fan of Morgan or JFC in the middle than Shinnie, who IMO needs too much time on the ball.
    If Stockley isn't available then, although I'm not a huge fan of Washington, I think that he should start alongside Chuks. I'm not sure if Schwartz is ready to start yet. 

• Options
    Currently feels like -10c in Charlton, would be surprised if this goes ahead

• Options
    Feels like is not a real metric.

But as I said yesterday, can't see this one happening.
  • Options
    the sun is a big factor - i think i'm right in saying that temperatures are recorded / taken in the shade therefore if the pitch is in sunlight, the temperature will be higher - the areas of pitch in the shae should be the only concern i would have thought 
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Gillingham have a game on Tuesday, so unlikely.
    2 games in 3 days is not unheard of this season , given the circs I would have thought everyone would be desperate to get it on rather than have yet another game to squeeze in down the line, especially with it being local and Gills are home Tuesday as well (and/or could shift that to Wed too?!). With both teams half an hour apart I would’ve thought they’d just want to to do whatever they can to get it played.
  • Options
    With Posh and Pompey called off, this is a very good chance to close the 5 point gap so I hope we can go ahead today.
  • Options
    Can’t see it happening. Ground is brick hard (admittedly my garden is getting a lot less tlc than the valley pitch) and air temperature is brutally cold with a wind chill.