Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Gillingham | 13th Feb 2021

Comments

• Options
    I think Bowyer will see out the season. I don't think he will be the manager at the start of next season 
    That's how I see it.
    And it's wrong. 
    Bring in a new manager now so he can assess the squad. 
    Don't leave it to the summer when he doesn't know what the squad is like 
    agreed - another few weeks of this and i think LB will have managed his way out of a job and TS will be able to act knowing that he has the backing of the vast majority for such a decision
  • Options
    Everyone wanted Bowyer to stop “tinkering”:as they call it, and start the same 11 that won at Rochdale with a near perfect performance. So that is what he did. And how was he rewarded? 

Within * 20 seconds* of k.o. Oshi, who had a cracking game at Rochdale, provides an inch perfect knock down - for Rob Lee’s son in a blue shirt. A mistake that Oshi always looks like he has in him, which is why he is where he is. Then JFC, who had just started to run the game, goes down with the hammy they all knew about, but someone told Bow was ok to risk. Early game hamstrings are a sure sign something isnt right, thats what did for Watson couple of games back. How about all you Championship Managers ask some questions about that side of things, because you know, even Paul Cook can’t heal the sick. 

Is any of this Bowyer’s fault? . Is it his fault that we injure both our centre backs who keep 6 consec.clean sheets, in training? And that both of them are out for the top end of original estimates? And just who are the better centre backs we could have brought in for £500 a week, as that was all that was left under the ridiculous salary cap? And what would we have done with them if, as Bow had probably been promised, both Famewo and Inniss were back by today?

But yeah, Paul effing Cook. FFS. 
    This.

Also - I manage staff. I ensure they are trained, know what to do, and know about policies and procedures. But sometimes they still get things wrong. And when they do, my manager isn’t looking to give me the elbow - we look at how we can work with the staff to eradicate their mistakes.

Last week, everyone was back in love with LB, he hadn’t lost the dressing room, we were going to make top 6, maybe top 2. This week, it’s “LB’s got to go...”

It’s a marathon not a sprint. We are one point off the play offs and only 6 off second place. Bow’s is right - for a team thrown together in the worst possible circumstances when it looked like the club might fold, to be in the top 6 most of the season so far, that is overachieving by any measure. And all credit to LB and JJ to be able to achieve what they have so far this season.
  • Options
    Who was it shouting 'Beast mode' 'Two on the floor Chucks' after his first booking? 
  • Options
    when we got relegated from the prem, luke young was seen as one of our best players whereas when we signed him, he was one of our worst - the fact jfc is seen currently as our most important midfielder tells a similar story 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    when we got relegated from the prem, luke young was seen as one of our best players whereas when we signed him, he was one of our worst - the fact jfc is seen currently as our most important midfielder tells a similar story 
    Morgans our most important midfielder and he don't play him. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    mendonca said:
    If the crowds were in, we'd have won every single game. Get real all!
    Sensing the sarcasm here. Is there another explanation for why we are averaging 0.4ppg at home this year and 1.8ppg away?
    yes - all our managerial focus appears to be on stopping the opposition - this works well away as wse grind out wins - at home we shoulkd be playing our game, on the front foot but i don't see any flowing attacking football - its impossible when you have pratley sitting in one of the 2 most critical positions on the pitch - i love his attitude but the ball is like a hot potato to him 
    Did we not play 'our way' yesterday? The 4-4-2 everyone was calling for. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I think Bowyer will see out the season. I don't think he will be the manager at the start of next season 
    That's how I see it.
    And it's wrong. 
    agreed - another few weeks of this and i think LB will have managed his way out of a job and TS will be able to act knowing that he has the backing of the vast majority for such a decision
    another few weeks ? .. if Bowyer survives for another few weeks after his total mismanagement of the team this season, he'll be here until April/May when we have failed to get anywhere near promotion .. we need a manager experienced in tactics and man management if we stand any chance of going up, and Bowyer is not that manager. However, I still feel that Sandy doesn't know enough or doesn't have the heart to sack him. Problem is another season in this division will be a disaster, no income, a player exodus and yet another term of rebuilding and hoping . Bowyer has lost it, he need to be replaced. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Who was it shouting 'Beast mode' 'Two on the floor Chucks' after his first booking? 
    Evans was screaming for a second red card at the end when a tackle went in down by the corner flag. He’s a horrible individual.
    Yeah I could hear that and would say I heard Jacko shouting 'how many more Reds do you want Evans' thereafter. 

The beast mode shout was deffo from Charlton bench. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:
    mendonca said:
    Sensing the sarcasm here. Is there another explanation for why we are averaging 0.4ppg at home this year and 1.8ppg away?
    yes - all our managerial focus appears to be on stopping the opposition - this works well away as wse grind out wins - at home we shoulkd be playing our game, on the front foot but i don't see any flowing attacking football - its impossible when you have pratley sitting in one of the 2 most critical positions on the pitch - i love his attitude but the ball is like a hot potato to him 
    see my comments above about pratley - i used to hate playing in a midfield 2 when my partner was simply a destroyer and would go backwards / make the wrong decision with the ball every time 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    That's how I see it.
    And it's wrong. 
    another few weeks ? .. if Bowyer survives for another few weeks after his total mismanagement of the team this season, he'll be here until April/May when we have failed to get anywhere near promotion .. we need a manager experienced in tactics and man management if we stand any chance of going up, and Bowyer is not that manager. However, I still feel that Sandy doesn't know enough or doesn't have the heart to sack him. Problem is another season in this division will be a disaster, no income, a player exodus and yet another term of rebuilding and hoping . Bowyer has lost it, he need to be replaced. 
    you won't get an argument from me on that, i agree 
  • Options
    mascot88 said:
    We are staying in league one, no doubt about it.

The salary cap screwed us, that won’t be an issue next year. 

So the question is whether Sandgaard sticks or twists with Bowyer, I reckon he will stick. 

This year is over. 
    We’re a point off the playoffs though...
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I think the next pre-season will tell us all we need to know about TS. This season wasn't a free hit, but it was an opportunity to take stock and see what can be achieved on a meagre budget (albeit close to the cap) with incumbent manager and set up. When we hit pre-season (transfer window open) we will immediately find out, to what extent TS demands / craves success. Will he throw a big budget to try to achieve his goal of success? So far he's had pretty much the same budget as every other owner, some being rather poor or disinterested. With the cap lifted, will the shackles be off the purse. It's all well and good saying we can't spend because of this and that, but when there are no restrictions and TS can do an Abramovich (albeit at League One level) will he? He says he wants too flight football, so we will see just how much. 

I'm not suggesting his heart isn't in it if he keeps a tight budget, more viewing that his sense of urgency might be indicated in his spending plans. If 'outside investment is required / requested' to get out of league one, it might be telling about his thoughts on exposure to financial risk / loss

Another Sunday waking up feeling pissed off. I've lost the shock value of losing to minnows long ago (it happens so often) and now just see the results in the context of direction. Are we going up the league or down it. Form suggests we are dropping week after week, month after month. The transfer window has exposed aome green shoots, but we needed Miracle-Grow.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'd stop sharing this. It's a silly thing for Bowyer to say right now.
    I tend to post any of the SLP's articles regardless of what they say

I was having dinner after that one hence why I've not added anymore if they've appeared
    careful - team BOWYER IN have they're work cut out this weekend and don't need what he is thinking plastered everywhere - be better to make something up  :D
  • Options
     'Beast mode' 'Two on the floor Chucks' 

Can anyone explain to me what this actually means and who said it? Thanks.
  • Options
    Come on Charlton, do the right thing and save our season. Get rid and do everything you can to get Paul Cook in.
    What if Paul Cook doesnt work?
    Bowyer isn't working.
    You do realise the next man could do even worse right?

Its one thing that hasnt been given ANY consideration by the majoity who want Bowyer In or Out
    This is fucking crazy logic.

Let's stick with a manager who's clearly underperforming because you never know, the next manager might do even worse.

If that was the case, no manager would ever get sacked.
    I wonder if @ForeverAddickted is still with his first girlfriend.....
    Woaaaaaa fuck the fuck off!!... Gets fucking personal with some of you lot doesnt it!!!

P.S. Yes I am...
    and was she obsessed with the diamond and being defensive at first but has now become a rampant joy? if so, this could answer a lot  :)  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    If you look at most of the teams that Bowyer has put out, the majority on here have agreed with the line up, the only time we were shocked as to the formation was playing Smyth as wingback. Bowyer hasn't lost the dressing room and he is not responsible for some of the mistakes that individuals are making. We know Deji has problems in his game, he gave them a flyer today and was culpable at Peterborough. We also know that Pearce is starting to struggle at this level and has been caught out a few times since returning from injury. Gunter, Matthews and Maatsen have all been guilty of sheer bad play leading to goals, no way is that down to Bowyer. It is more likely a players mindset, 'it doesn't matter' attitude, the players mentioned will almost certainly will not be here next season. Compare that to some of the players performances such as Caskey, Morgan, Washington and Pratley, a player I think will be at the club in some capacity. Buying defenders or loaning them was not an option, if the ruling on the cap would have come a month earlier, we would have. 
    I deduce from this that you might get a better & more committed performance from an U23 player instead. Might be the reason why Accrington & Lincoln are doing better than us. You didn't see then signing Welsh internationals or Forest's captain back in the summer. 
    I think you may be right, there has to be a point where you know that defence is culpable, don't get me wrong the midfield has a role to play in closing players down and clearing the lines, the problem is clearly at home we don't have players ready for a team to break on us. I know the second goal is a cracker but the first goal is punt upfield similar to the Peterborough goal, Deji at fault for both in my opinion. You have to have commitment to defend, when Charlie Barker played he showed bags of that  and yes it might be harsh to blood him now but something has to change because at home we are an easy touch and sides know that they only have to punt a ball at us and we will screw up.
  • Options
    i think the truth is that when we went up with LB first time round, we were able to bring in players - loan players in particular - who were of a much higher standard than the rest of the division - we have lost all those players now and couldn't replace them because of the cap - LB is therefore managing with a much weaker hand but you could argue, on a more level playing field, with the majority of other managers in league 1 but to say we are overachieving in what is effectively, mid table in league 1 after 2 transfer windows and having stated last week that to not get into playoffs would be an underachievement, is a bit odd and i'm almost thinking its an invite for TS to put him out of his misery. When has a manager ever said 'yes, its all my fault, i'm sorry, i'll walk' ????? i have a feeling, the term 'the next 2 weeks could be crucial' is about to finally be proved correct.   
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:
    mendonca said:
    see my comments above about pratley - i used to hate playing in a midfield 2 when my partner was simply a destroyer and would go backwards / make the wrong decision with the ball every time 
     I agree about Pratley and have said so in the past.
    When we need a hatchet job doing on another clubs danger player he's your man.
    If not then there is little use for him.
    Technically poor and now a lot less mobile than he was a few years ago, that's the position that should have also been a priority in the window.
    A younger,hungrier version of Pratley and Watson who is comfortable with the ball at his feet and can get up and down the pitch at will.
  • Options
    Someone won the ball and went through on Aneke (don’t think a foul was given) a few mins before his first yellow and you could tell he had the right hump and he was on the hunt for revenge .

Thought we looked decent enough but that pathetic soft underbelly of wankness that has been evident for 3 months made another of its regular appearances.

I still feel the players aren’t as bad as the results suggest , the performances have improved slightly but gonna need a much more improved will to win to get to the play offs .

I said before Bowyer won’t get us promoted with a salary cap in place because the best coaches will maximise what they have.

If he gets us to the play offs he definitely deserves another crack if he doesn’t then whatever Sandgaard decides is up to him but he’ll be spunking more dough if he wants promotion whoever is in charge .

I feel for TS we’re Charlton fans and are used to the ups downs highs lows orgasms wankness of our club but this fella is just gonna feel pain and more pain , it’s gonna end in tears and he’ll be a good few quid down by then , I just can’t see us ever getting back to the top flight in the next ten years .
    A cheery message from the profat of doom .

0%       Top two
    22%       3rd-6th
    73%      7th-12th
    5%         Bottom half 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    If JFC was injured why was he not replaced by Smith?
    Bowyer making a point that Smith wasn't his choice perhaps  ?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:
    mendonca said:
     I agree about Pratley and have said so in the past.
    When we need a hatchet job doing on another clubs danger player he's your man.
    If not then there is little use for him.
    Technically poor and now a lot less mobile than he was a few years ago, that's the position that should have also been a priority in the window.
    A younger,hungrier version of Pratley and Watson who is comfortable with the ball at his feet and can get up and down the pitch at will.
    I agree that’s what we need but it was a priority. Oforbh was one target we knew about, no doubt there would have been others we looked at. In the end we signed another CM in Smith on deadline day, but he was probably some way down the list as Bowyer said he wanted a physical midfielder.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    To be fair, Bowyer picked the same team that did well last week and that is absolutely what I would have done. We were unlucky. I think you make your own luck and when you expect bad luck you are more likely to find it, but we were unlucky. Had Man City scored the goals Gillingham did we wouldn't say it was lucky, but it isn't usual for them. Had Aneke not got sent off, I would have expected us to win. Not 100% but probably about 75% likely.

I think we are and have been paying for Bowyer's mis-management earlier in the season more so than now. But we are paying for it all the same. And he is still not positive enough for me. Simply compared to himself a year or so previously.

Having said that, I express on here my view that it looks like we write off this season with him or have a punt with somebody else. That is what I think but I won't criticise Sandgaard for doing what he thinks is best. It is his investment, not mine. I still believe we can go on a run, but it is less likely, not impossible, but less likely with the Bowyer we have now.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    If JFC was injured why was he not replaced by Smith?
    Bowyer making a point that Smith wasn't his choice perhaps  ?
    I heard that the lizard people placed Smith in the side as a spy for the illumaniti
    There you go then, so obvious when you think about it... not too much though