Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Gillingham | 13th Feb 2021

Comments

• Options
    Anyone else feel like they've had the stuffing knocked out of them after watching another defeat ? 

I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry .....

We all SO look forward to our matches - the highlight of our week as such - only to feel totally depressed, angry, frustrated and let down yet again. 

You'd think we'd know better by now but results, as well as poor performances, continue to kick us in the teeth.

If only SOMEONE could put their finger on where it's all going pear shaped....Is it a squad of players not fit for purpose in L1? Is it poor tactics /coaching ? Is it players not implementing decent tactics once a game begins? Has the gaffer run out of ideas ? Or is it our fault that our current expectations are set too high following the nightmeire years of ownership & beyond ? 

Surely, in this day & age, there must be an algorithm out there for our coaches to use ? The definition of this is " a set of instructions designed to perform a specific task". Additionally " This can be a simple process....."  But, I guess the involvement of human beings has to be factored in when it comes to football, or at least, Charlton ! 

The question on the lips of thousands of Addicks is when will this change for the better as it must ? 

Answers on a pc to " Deflated Fanny".
    I won't post an ad as I'm sure youngsters come on here but pumps are available for that condition  :o
  • Options
    Simple solution welcome back Chris🤞
  • Options
    On Quest tonight they called the Ogilvie strike goal of the season in the EFL...
  • Options
    We are staying in league one, no doubt about it.

The salary cap screwed us, that won’t be an issue next year. 

So the question is whether Sandgaard sticks or twists with Bowyer, I reckon he will stick. 

This year is over. 
  • Options
    Nothing more than a mid table team, we are not getting in the playoffs, start identifying for the rebuild now,
    thank fuck I only have to watch from the comfort of home rather than dragging myself to the valley 
    This. I can't imagine what it would have been or felt like sitting there this afternoon. In the immortal words of a now sadly departed addick

.....its bitter out !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    If you look at most of the teams that Bowyer has put out, the majority on here have agreed with the line up, the only time we were shocked as to the formation was playing Smyth as wingback. Bowyer hasn't lost the dressing room and he is not responsible for some of the mistakes that individuals are making. We know Deji has problems in his game, he gave them a flyer today and was culpable at Peterborough. We also know that Pearce is starting to struggle at this level and has been caught out a few times since returning from injury. Gunter, Matthews and Maatsen have all been guilty of sheer bad play leading to goals, no way is that down to Bowyer. It is more likely a players mindset, 'it doesn't matter' attitude, the players mentioned will almost certainly will not be here next season. Compare that to some of the players performances such as Caskey, Morgan, Washington and Pratley, a player I think will be at the club in some capacity. Buying defenders or loaning them was not an option, if the ruling on the cap would have come a month earlier, we would have. 
    It’s the manager and his coaching team’s responsibility to drill shape and defensive discipline. 
    If it was just about picking a strong starting eleven then Man City would win the cup, league and Champions League every season.  
    I want Bowyer to stay but he needs to own some of this. Blaming injuries and salary caps is wearing thin. 
  • Options
    For all those arguing against change then look at Cardiff. 
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    Our fans are comical! Slate bowyer for tinkering and the poor fella can’t even do right when he sticks with the same line up! Ironically we lose JFC through not tinkering....

There was not a lot wrong with that performance as a whole today. A dreadful piece of defending from Deji cost us! Is Bowyer really to blame for that? Really?
    Are you saying that a mistake within the first 30 seconds cost us the game. Jeez - I know Golfie38 is now a thing but I didnt realise the players mentally packed up & fucked off inside the first minute  !
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    I wish someone would ask Bowyer why we continue to play Gunter and not our, arguably, most consistent player of the last 18 months - Adam Matthews.

I just do not get that. A solid, classy defender who would bring stability at the back. 
    It’s a tough one. Definitely one of our best players last season. He has been on and off this season which some individual errors. (Rochdale and Portsmouth)

The way he plays is like he’s used to playing at a higher level so will expect his teammates to be comfortable on the ball in tight spaces. It just ends up being a hospital pass in the end like with Watson.

Gunter hasn’t been great, I just think that consistently at the back is so important now
  • Options
    Bowyer is right, we are over achieving ... we need a full pre season a bit of TS’s sweet cash and a proper bowyer team... 

Next year is a proper shot at it, 2 weeks and picking through the bones isn’t a proper chance
  • Options
    Thought DJ sub made us weaker in the middle. I'm surprised it wasn't Smith or Morgan. 

Ultimately, though, the red card cost us the match. 
  • Options
     NPNR (not posting not reading)
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Good goals or not it’s too easy to score against us as previous games (Bristol Rovers and Rochdale Away excepted) have shown. 

Since Famewo and Innis have been injured the defence has not been the same. We were crying out for a centre half as soon as the transfer window opened so what did we do? Swapped forwards and midfielders and brought in no new defenders. If I and 99% of Charlton fans could see the  problem why couldn’t the management team? 

A solid defence is key (Ask Liverpool) Lennie, Curbs and Powell all built our successful teams on a solid defence.We may get Famewo and Innis for a dozen games ( unless they get injured again which seems highly likely) which is likely to be to late.

Another season in League1 awaits. 

• Options
    edited February 2021
    What’s really galling is the fact that for the first time in ages that’s the team I’d have selected and it was a tinkerman free zone. Inevitable conclusion is that we’re just not good enough. Bummer. Even with a cobbled together squad we should be good enough with the names we have to be in the playoffs in a dreadful league.  Depressing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking for positives: 

The brand of football has improved at least. It's a long way from the utter turgid rubbish we were being served up towards the end of last season and the first third of this season. It gives me hope that LB is building towards something.

Stockley showed some great link play with his feet, which I wasn't sure he was capable of, including a few first-time balls to his blind side. Great awareness, looks Championship quality. 

We played the same 11 and started in the 4-4-2. 

Aneke being suspended is tough but it will be good to see Stockley and Schwarz together, perhaps they can form a typical big man & poacher style partnership. 

We looked a far better team than Gillingham, barring their excellent long range efforts and a sending off. They couldn't get out.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    cafc_se7 said:
    Our fans are comical! Slate bowyer for tinkering and the poor fella can’t even do right when he sticks with the same line up! Ironically we lose JFC through not tinkering....

There was not a lot wrong with that performance as a whole today. A dreadful piece of defending from Deji cost us! Is Bowyer really to blame for that? Really?
    You forgot to mention their third goal where their playmaker was given freedom to bring the ball thirty yards into our 18yd. That was catastrophic defending. Our first goal defending was nowhere near as bad as that third. Also Purrington got roasted again for their second which allowed the cross to come in. 
  • Options
    OK.  Here's how it is going to go.
    1:  Moans about other fans having a go and being rude.
    2:  Slightly passive aggressive references to how we aren't allowed to criticise "the manager" these days.
    3:  A strangely detailed forensic analysis of a single players every move throughout the match which noone can be bothered to read all the way through.
    4:  Some rage.
    5:  A small but oddly committed cohort pointing out that we are still building.
    6: Piss takers using this as an excuse to get some lols.

Pretty good so far! 😄😄
  • Options
    Conor Ogilvie is a proper footballer and a monumentally better left-back than Ben Purrington. Just shows we still have a lot of areas we could improve.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Come on Charlton, do the right thing and save our season. Get rid and do everything you can to get Paul Cook in.
    What if Paul Cook doesnt work?
    Bowyer isn't working.
    You do realise the next man could do even worse right?

Its one thing that hasnt been given ANY consideration by the majoity who want Bowyer In or Out
    This is fucking crazy logic.

Let's stick with a manager who's clearly underperforming because you never know, the next manager might do even worse.

If that was the case, no manager would ever get sacked.
    I wonder if @ForeverAddickted is still with his first girlfriend.....
    Woaaaaaa fuck the fuck off!!... Gets fucking personal with some of you lot doesnt it!!!

P.S. Yes I am...
    Loyalty is nothing to be mocked.

Blind loyalty is. 

P.s I'm still with my first proper girlfriend (16 years) so don't let these man-slags put you down for it.
    Image result for man with doll
    Did you pay for her Botox?
  • Options
    haven't read this thread yet but 2 things today that further convince me that bowyer is lacking in the football manager department:

1) Playing Darren Pratley
    2) Leaving Stockley on his own up top once down to 10 men in a must win game 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    If the crowds were in, we'd have won every single game. Get real all!
    Sensing the sarcasm here. Is there another explanation for why we are averaging 0.4ppg at home this year and 1.8ppg away?
    yes - all our managerial focus appears to be on stopping the opposition - this works well away as wse grind out wins - at home we shoulkd be playing our game, on the front foot but i don't see any flowing attacking football - its impossible when you have pratley sitting in one of the 2 most critical positions on the pitch - i love his attitude but the ball is like a hot potato to him 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    mendonca said:
    If the crowds were in, we'd have won every single game. Get real all!
    Sensing the sarcasm here. Is there another explanation for why we are averaging 0.4ppg at home this year and 1.8ppg away?
    yes - all our managerial focus appears to be on stopping the opposition - this works well away as wse grind out wins - at home we shoulkd be playing our game, on the front foot but i don't see any flowing attacking football - its impossible when you have pratley sitting in one of the 2 most critical positions on the pitch - i love his attitude but the ball is like a hot potato to him 

I heard it countless times yesterday as watched with no commentary.

'turn out' as the ball is played to his feet. He doesn't.