Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Gillingham | 13th Feb 2021

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    When Inniss and Femewo were in the side we showed a grit and strength I’ve not seen from Charlton for years. They were a threat up top and solid at the back. I don’t want to see Pratley and Watson on the pitch at the same time ever again.
    Despite the fact that we’ve conceded zero goals in the four games when they’ve both started? 
    Serious question, because that stat has made me rethink my previous position. 
    Come and join the anti football fan club of Pratson in centre mid ... you know it makes sense during this pathetic spell of comical defending 
    I’m no fan if I’m honest, but stats are stats. 
    I think our fortunes will improve when our luck does. There haven’t actually been that many mistakes, (Oshi’s made just one [or was it two on Saturday] in the last six games), but they all seem to be punished, often with super strikes. 

You can't do anything about the finish but watch the whole clip, the defending all round is poor.  Easy to get the cross in, about 4 of them lose their man in the panic, half of them push out, half drop back. 

I think there are 6 players behind the ball when it's crossed but if he had mis hit it we won't be in great place to defend old Rick O'Shea.

There was no individual clanger but it's not great viewing is it. 
      I've no problem with Pearce these last few matches, he's been pretty much the most competitive on the pitch for us.  Akinde's thing is much like Chuks, he's physical and when he get's up to speed he's fast.  Pearce 1 on 1 did everything he could to not let him get away.  Solid defending if you have little pace.  Akinde shouldn't be having a run onto a long ball from just inside the halfway line.  There was no pressure from midfield for that ball.

Looking at O'Keefe's goal, Pratley's having to screen from his lb to his rb.  It's ludicrous he's the only one busting a gut to get across the pitch - ridiculous even that Curbs said could he get there quicker.  Stockley, Oshi and Pearce are defending deep which is sensible as they're the best headers.  But look at Shinnie he's just in front not attached to the play at all.  Pearce did nothing wrong, opposing players should not often be coming onto secondary ball with time 20 yards out.  It's not like it hasn't happened before.  For about 5 minutes before we couldn't clear our lines and the Gillingham players kept winning easy secondary balls.

Interesting for the third goal Evans said he changed shape and it worked perfectly.  It's hard to see on TV but looked like they pushed up their full backs high and wide, which in particularly pushed Millar back way into our half almost as a touchline full back, and provided a massive inside channel for Dempsey to run into.  Big mistake to bring on Schwartz if that was the case, should have kept a flat 4.  But it's so hard to see the true shape on TV, I reserve my judgement.  Here we all were willing to blame Purrington and Millar, but perhaps the coaching staff should have reacted quicker.
  • Options

Gillingham defeat simply came down to Charlton having less quality in the final third and defensively making two induvial mistakes in 1st and 3rd goals.   

Unfortunately, when we don't close them down and just let them take shots like that, we're not going to win games, no excuses. Sadly, that's pretty much season over for us. With the defence not good enough going to need lot of luck to get into the top 6

Bowyer called out Steve Evans for being long ball team and said that's what Gillingham strengths are but why did Charlton play 86 long balls compared to Gillingham 70. This played into Gillingham hands.  

What's Charlton philosophy and identity? Because as fan paying £10 every week, I don't see any identity with this team this is something Bowyer got to address. I don't agree with Bowyer keep making same excuses and fans are losing patience with him.  

Only positive was Gillingham cup final win was behind closed doors. Every effort has to go towards next season and rebuild with the squad. Having crowds back at The Valley will be massive for the team and everyone.  

Up the Addicks!!!

• Options
    If you look at the goal, Pratley's positioning is at fault from when the cross comes in. He's not goal side, then their No11 outwits him to the ball and plays it to the goalscorer. 

Pratley is not our biggest issue but just think what Cullen would have done there. Held his position, goalside to man, not be ready to charge full-speed at the ball wherever it goes.
  • Options
    “Jill-um” seem to be becoming a bit of a bogey side for us like Millwall so Saturday’s result was not overly surprising.
  • Options
    Our head to head with Gillingham in League 1 is P10, W3, L3, D4
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    If you look at the goal, Pratley's positioning is at fault from when the cross comes in. He's not goal side, then their No11 outwits him to the ball and plays it to the goalscorer. 

Pratley is not our biggest issue but just think what Cullen would have done there. Held his position, goalside to man, not be ready to charge full-speed at the ball wherever it goes.
      That's nonsense about Pratley's positioning, the ball came quite quickly after a free kick.  Stockley, Oshi and Pearce are goalside defending the back line against Gillingham forwards.  Where was Pratley going to be?  Goal side of our own defenders?

In advance of the defence Pratley is screening for any short ball, or possible secondary ball.  He's over towards our left central area as the ball is coming in from the Gillingham right.  At all times he is 'goal side' in his defensive zone opposite the Gillingham midfielders.  There should be two players centrally in advance of our back line.  Jaieysimi drifts inside to ineffectively close down - I think Olly Lee - leaving the space for O'Keefe to take a virtually unopposed shot.  Maybe Jaieysimi should have been more central, but to me it's Shinnie's job with Chuks blocking off short passing in front of the defensive unit.

Either way Pratley trying to screen from inside left to inside right is just amateur defensive positioning by the rest of the midfield and not his fault - unless the communication is not there.  I've just watched it again and am thinking what the hell is Shinnie doing.  Is he defending a free kick in the diamond formation????  Wtf.  When the ball comes in he should be parallel to Pratley.  He's not defending anything, but a space where no Gillingham players are.  If Shinnie put pressure on the ball Jaiyesimi wouldn't have to rush out of position and could easily have at least bothered O'Keefe.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Interesting - We see it slightly differently. For some reason Pratley does run towards Pearce while he's attempted to clear the ball. It leaves space in the middle for which DJ spotted some danger and moved towards to cover, then each man in the middle lost their positioning for me. I agree about Shinnie's defending. I was all for Smith coming on to replace JFC. 

It's probably just easier to call it a Worldy than look at the shambles proceeding the goal...

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I think that's exactly it @mendonca. It's a goal of the season, volleyed first time from 20 yards out. Not really one to dissect bad defending. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Chunes said:
    I think that's exactly it @mendonca. It's a goal of the season, volleyed first time from 20 yards out. Not really one to dissect bad defending. 
    SCRAP it seems watching it in slow mo and with the frames above, this one genuinely is a sweet shot. Gunter could have pushed forward, but would need Stockley or Oshilaja to react a bit quicker to Akinde moving across. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    It's another great shot, there is no doubt about that.
    The issue is that for the umpteenth time we have allowed an opposition player have a free shot at goal from exactly that sort of position.
    I disagree that it's a free shot. He's hit it first time, on the volley. What can you do? If you charge him, you're not getting there before the ball, and he's just going to knock it past you. Then he's got a free shot. There are certainly many examples of what you're talking about but I don't think this is one. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    It's another great shot, there is no doubt about that.
    The issue is that for the umpteenth time we have allowed an opposition player have a free shot at goal from exactly that sort of position.
    I disagree that it's a free shot. He's hit it first time, on the volley. What can you do? If you charge him, you're not getting there before the ball, and he's just going to knock it past you. Then he's got a free shot. There are certainly many examples of what you're talking about but I don't think this is one. 
    He was unmarked. I'll agree to disagree.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Interesting - We see it slightly differently. For some reason Pratley does run towards Pearce while he's attempted to clear the ball. It leaves space in the middle for which DJ spotted some danger and moved towards to cover, then each man in the middle lost their positioning for me. I agree about Shinnie's defending. I was all for Smith coming on to replace JFC. 

It's probably just easier to call it a Worldy than look at the shambles proceeding the goal...

Point well made mendonca.  As I see it you have to have two screens in front of the back four.  Jake is often positionally there, but for me is just not physically imposing enough to effectively win secondary ball:  At least with Jake he trys and is generally positionally aware.  Still this cm defensive weakness we have is what leads to the same goals from deeper areas week in week out.
  • Options
    He was set up by Lee and caught it on the volley. So basically there wasn't the time to close him down that there would have been had the ball bounced. I don't think too much blame can be attributed outside of before that move, and other moves, we do not always clear with enough purpose and conviction.