Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Gillingham | 13th Feb 2021

Comments

• Valley11 said:
    I wish someone would ask Bowyer why we continue to play Gunter and not our, arguably, most consistent player of the last 18 months - Adam Matthews.

I just do not get that. A solid, classy defender who would bring stability at the back. 
    It’s a tough one. Definitely one of our best players last season. He has been on and off this season which some individual errors. (Rochdale and Portsmouth)

The way he plays is like he’s used to playing at a higher level so will expect his teammates to be comfortable on the ball in tight spaces. It just ends up being a hospital pass in the end like with Watson.

Gunter hasn’t been great, I just think that consistently at the back is so important now
    Maybe he see's Gunter as the better full back or maybe that Gunter had the shirt while Matthews was looking around for a better offer.
  • if i was to oversee a complete re build for next season, the players i would want to keep / build my team around, in an ideal world - putting aside that some are on loan but you never know....

definite:

millar
    chucks
    stiockley
    famewo

possibly:

amos 
    smith
    winger / striker from swindon
    innis
    schwartz
    shinnie
    maarsen

put out on loan:

morgan

get shot of if possible / if not already out of contract:

gunter
    pearce
    oshalaja
    purrington
    jfc
    pratley
    watson
    washington
    gilbey

that's 4 players out of our entire squad that i think are nailed on to be good enough to win promotion so yes, LB is not completely wrong in what he is saying about overachieving but doesn't mean he isn't making a poot fist of things with what he has got coz i doubt any squad in league 1 has more and if you add the 7 possibles, you have a pretty decent nucleas to at least get in the play offs 

• Lol whenever a player is injured they are always the "missing link" we were all waiting for Gilby to return and sort out midfield out a few weeks back
  • Who was it shouting 'Beast mode' 'Two on the floor Chucks' after his first booking? 
    Evans was screaming for a second red card at the end when a tackle went in down by the corner flag. He’s a horrible individual.
    To be fair - as the saying goes - it was a nasty and violent tackle. Pearce clattered in to the calves of the Gills player. It was shown again, in slow motion. Looked like a red-card offence.
  • edited February 2021
    Davo55 said:
    Just thinking about Stockley and Chuks playing together up front - both good players, both scored yesterday but the downside is that it seems to have the psychological effect on the rest of our team to want to lump far too many long balls up to them. Millar was a notable exception. The long balls continued even after Chuks' red card, when Stockley was isolated up front. We've got tom be smarter than that.
    The thing is, we have scored 4 goals in the 2 games they have played and they have scored 3 of them. Also, they have been unlucky enough to hit the woodwork a few rimes. The issue is more a defensive one.
  • PHOSTH (Posting having only seen the highlights) but wow some cracking goals and near misses from both sides. Exciting game for the neutral i imagine. All three of their goals were special. From the highlights it seems a little harsh to say our defence was diabolical. Just one goal for them from inside the box and it was a cracker from a tight angle.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Jayajosh said:
    Bowyer is happy where we are. Well I’m fucking not, get that defence sorted you imbecile 
    I did not realize managers can turn dross into gold. Wish someone pointed that out to me earlier.
    He had an entire transfer window to sign defenders. He chose not to.
    What makes you think this is his job? Steve Gallen manages transfers and we had a wage cap at the time and you can't buy if the owner does not give you money. We are net sellers since TS took over. You need to move on from the old paradigm that the manager "manages" the club and is thus responsible for who we bring in. That is not true in Lee's case and has not been true at CAFC for years.
  • Jayajosh said:
    Bowyer is happy where we are. Well I’m fucking not, get that defence sorted you imbecile 
    I did not realize managers can turn dross into gold. Wish someone pointed that out to me earlier.
    What makes you think this is his job? Steve Gallen manages transfers and we had a wage cap at the time and you can't buy if the owner does not give you money. We are net sellers since TS took over. You need to move on from the old paradigm that the manager "manages" the club and is thus responsible for who we bring in. That is not true in Lee's case and has not been true at CAFC for years.
    Bowyer decides in what position he wants signings though.
  • edited February 2021
    Jayajosh said:
    Bowyer decides in what position he wants signings though.
    Were the players he wanted were available at a price we could afford given the limitations of our wage bill? We are a middling League One club. We can't just snap our fingers and players we want are elated to come here. If ManU can't get the players it always wants.... how do we? Also, it's the winter window, where few great deals are ever made. Good players don't need to be sold in the winter break, which I think limited our options.
  • Two assists from Millar yesterday, he's proving to be a great signing.
    One assist, the other assist was Shinnie. 
  • I just watched a replay of the first goal, and I’m not so sure it’s that clear cut. The ball looked like it was going over Deji’s head, and he only just got a touch on it. Not sure it was like an ordinary misdirected header, which *would* have been totally his fault. Of course it would have helped if he’d been a couple of inches taller. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I just watched a replay of the first goal, and I’m not so sure it’s that clear cut. The ball looked like it was going over Deji’s head, and he only just got a touch on it. Not sure it was like an ordinary misdirected header, which *would* have been totally his fault. Of course it would have helped if he’d been a couple of inches taller. 
    Just watched it again - how come Amos isn’t saving that or at least getting some part of his body in the way?
  • Thing that bothers me EVERY week but haven't mentioned it is that we never have a man on the edge of the box, attacking or defending.. 

Amount of the times the ball drops at edge of box after a corner and the oppo clear and vice versa the oop have a clear shot. 
  • Thing that bothers me EVERY week but haven't mentioned it is that we never have a man on the edge of the box, attacking or defending.. 

Amount of the times the ball drops at edge of box after a corner and the oppo clear and vice versa the oop have a clear shot. 
    We had pulled every single player into the box yesterday, I noticed it too over several games. Watching on a screen is harder to get a feel of who is occupying what space but its a good point you make. So many second balls drop in that area asking to be attacked 
  • Sponsored links:

• We did have one good shot from outside the box, the Pratley one which the keeper saved

Was it a worse shot than say the first Gillingham one, or better keeping?
  • We did have one good shot from outside the box, the Pratley one which the keeper saved

Pratley's shot was pretty much straight at the keeper. Hit fairly well but he barely had to move to save it. 

And DJ’s in the 2nd half which brought a good save from their keeper.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    I genuinely can't recall two injured players being rated as highly as Inniss (a bloke who has spent his career on loan at about 10 clubs), and Famewo.

When these two come back, I'm expecting to see Van Dijk / Vidic level performances from these two the way some of the comments about their impact has been. 
    I genuinely can't remember so many people hanging their hat on 2 players that have played 4 games together and never managed more than 10 and 22 games in season before.

LoOk At LiVeRpOoL..... 

Yeah VVD and Gomez won the premier league and the Champions league.  Famewo and Innis kept a clean sheet at Northampton. 
    Oh do **** off. "People" are just looking at the basic facts, rather than pretending they know more than the professionals. The facts are

* We are shipping 2 goals a game. With those two available we went six games without conceding a goal. 
    BuT tHeY'rE aLl WoRlDiEs

There's three at the back that are a problem. The centre backs and goalkeeper all need to sort out their ability to deal with range chances. (Defenders close quicker and GK not be on his heels) Also there appears to be a trust issue between Amos and the current defence. He needs to be able to trust the pairing in front of him to be able to perform himself. He's second guessing what he should do, a bit too often. 
  • edited February 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    I genuinely can't recall two injured players being rated as highly as Inniss (a bloke who has spent his career on loan at about 10 clubs), and Famewo.

When these two come back, I'm expecting to see Van Dijk / Vidic level performances from these two the way some of the comments about their impact has been. 
    I genuinely can't remember so many people hanging their hat on 2 players that have played 4 games together and never managed more than 10 and 22 games in season before.

LoOk At LiVeRpOoL..... 

Yeah VVD and Gomez won the premier league and the Champions league.  Famewo and Innis kept a clean sheet at Northampton. 
    It’s not even about them as players. They are our first choice CBs and missing such a crucial position most of the season has affected the whole team.

Deji wasnt fit for a time and neither was Pearce, hence all the tinkering.

A lot on here just seem a team sheet and think “well that’s stupid” without using a brain cell to understand why the team is put out like that.

• PWR.

Very unlucky. Fairly sure that was Ogilvie's goal of his career so far. The other two were not typical League One fare either. We did capitalise on a defensive error for once. Harsh sending off.

We were by far the better side, when we don't get punished for errors, they score worldies.  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:

LoOk At LiVeRpOoL..... 

Oh do **** off. "People" are just looking at the basic facts, rather than pretending they know more than the professionals. The facts are

* Famewo is probably the most accomplished central defender in this League, by which I mean that he makes good decisions consistently and does not make mistakes very often. That is why he is highly rated at Norwich, top of the league above, while Oshilaja is with us. 

* Inniss is a formidable presence in the air, and imposes himself on strikers. Nobody was quite sure how consistent he would be, but he and Famewo seem to complement each other well. He has benefitted from playing alongside Famewo. I'd be less confident with Pearce or Oshilaja alongside him, but it would be better than the current options.

* We are shipping 2 goals a game. With those two available we went six games without conceding a goal. 

It is obvious that neither Pearce nor Oshilaja can deliver sufficiently consistently for 95 minutes in most games. Famewo and Inniss are as good as if not better than nearly all centre backs I've seen this season in this league. (Actually the young Gills lad was very good, but he is already being chased by Champ clubs, and even West Ham, according to Terry and Greg).

That's all there is to it. Nothing more, nothing less. 
    So rattled when he's literally just stated facts. Best CBs in the league? How can anyone say that when we've only seen them for a handful of games??

• esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:

LoOk At LiVeRpOoL..... 

It’s not even about them as players. They are our first choice CBs and missing such a crucial position most of the season has affected the whole team.

Deji wasnt fit for a time and neither was Pearce, hence all the tinkering.

A lot on here just seem a team sheet and think “well that’s stupid” without using a brain cell to understand why the team is put out like that.

like when Millar was up top when we had strikers on the bench? Or are you referring to when Smyth was playing RWB? Ah you must have meant when Deji was on the bench and Pratley started at CB. 
    You mean the strikers that everyone on here said weren’t good enough?

Deji who was playing sort of like he played this weekend.. unconvincing and coming back from an injury.

I have no excuses for Smyth... you see what I did there? Admitted a fault.

try it on for size