Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Gillingham | 13th Feb 2021

Comments

• Options
    Very predictable I guess. Mammoth effort now to get into play offs. I just don't see it happening. Just doesn't feel right this season. Keep hoping and willing the team on but lost confidence in them now. Potentially, can beat anyone on our day but not consistent and can lose to anyone. Another season in L1 I'm afraid.

• Options
    The thing about that stat of 21 points from 18 games is that we should also take into account the level of opposition:

Beat- Ipswich, Wimbledon. MK Dons, Bristol Rovers & Rochdale
    Drew against - Gillingham, Shrewsbury, Swindon (twice), Plymouth & Rochdale
    Lost to - Burton, MK Dons, Hull, Accrington, Peterborough, Portsmouth & Gillingham 

The ones in bold are in the bottom half of the table so only 6 of those games were against teams in the top half. Our run in is very difficult.
    Our difficult run in is what gives us a chance. But we certainly have to improve and the question that Thomas should sit down and think about is whether that improvement will most likely come from Bowyer or somebody else.
    When you look at who we have played in those 18 games it makes our run look even worse. 
    Yes, but if we are going to make the play offs we are going to have to consistently take points from our rivals. Do we have a squad that can do it? If they can, can they do it under the current manager? These are the questions for the rest of the season for me.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Greenie said:
    How on earth can anyone blame the manager for that performance, when players consistently play below their ability level, it’s down to them. We didn’t close them down in our final third, they scored two cracking goals and we gave them the third.
    We hit the post and the bar in the first twenty minutes and Chuks should not have been dismissed, but all the supporters saying Bow should go need to have a little think...
    Because if ALL the players play below their ability level for over a year ALL the players can't be at fault? 
    But not ALL the player’s are, so what is your point?
  • Options
    I wouldn't read too much into Bowyer's post match comments. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He does seem a bit deluded. He's lucky the ground is empty as I think a lot of fans might disagree with him.

He's either being arrogant or stupid...
  • Options
    Looks like another dreadful season in the third division,,☹️
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    We were worth a point but until we have our missing central defenders back this goal leaking will continue.
    one of their Goals was a wonder strike.
    the Referee was a total ARSEHOLE.

this team will struggle to stay top six without its defenders back !!
    I look forward to the same excuse about the missing CBs being trotted out in 2030...
         Why do you think it will take 9 years for Akin
        And Ryan to come back ??
        It’s not Rocket Science if you have no defence 
        You will leak Goals ......👍👍

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'd stop sharing this. It's a silly thing for Bowyer to say right now.
    I tend to post any of the SLP's articles regardless of what they say

I was having dinner after that one hence why I've not added anymore if they've appeared
  • Options
    I agree purrington was to blame for the goal defending wise but watch Shinnie back away and give the bloke yards to run into. 
    Haven't seen a replay but I think I recall he just threw an arm up in the air. 

IMHO two subs needed to be made 5 if not 10mins before chucks first yellow.

Morgan for Shinnie
    Shwartz for Chucks. 

That would have won us the game, again  IMHO
  • Options
    I agree purrington was to blame for the goal defending wise but watch Shinnie back away and give the bloke yards to run into. 
    Haven't seen a replay but I think I recall he just threw an arm up in the air. 

IMHO two subs needed to be made 5 if not 10mins before chucks first yellow.

Morgan for Shinnie
    Shwartz for Chucks. 

That would have won us the game, again  IMHO
    And Id start Morgan over any midfielder at the club
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    This was our best chance at overturning a Golfie.

Instead despite fighting back, we let in another two easy goals.

This defence aren't not good enough, they quite simply have no chemistry or trust in one another. Or any trust in Amos dealing with any shots at all lately.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He does seem a bit deluded. He's lucky the ground is empty as I think a lot of fans might disagree with him.

He's either being arrogant or stupid...
    He's hugely arrogant. Certainly how he comes across to me anyway.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Come on Charlton, do the right thing and save our season. Get rid and do everything you can to get Paul Cook in.
    What if Paul Cook doesnt work?
    Bowyer isn't working.
    You do realise the next man could do even worse right?

Its one thing that hasnt been given ANY consideration by the majoity who want Bowyer In or Out
    It's true, but on that basis we shouldn't have sacked any manager ever.  Including the ones you didn't like/rate/want.  Karel Fraeye would still be manager. 
    Yet then we've got a Manager who has got us out of this League the right way before now

So I'm a bit more prepared to give him more time than others rather than make a knee jerk reaction, yes for me, two months of poor football in his overall performance @ this level is just that.

We've longed for stability at this club, the times we've rushed to sack a Manager at this level has resulted an even longer spell in League One than we'd have liked - So you'll have to excuse me for being on the side of caution.

I long know I wont win any arguments now so will be my last post on this matter... I'm bored of it now, everyone knows my stance, if anyone dont like it or have some pathetic view that Bowyer has something on me, well thats their problem

Of course if we sack Bowyer and win promotion to the Championship this season then I'll be the first to put my hands up and admit I'm wrong (a bit like when I put my hands up the instant we got relegated in July) - If Bowyer goes and we dont return to the Championship for a while, I dont expect anyone with the opposite opinion to do the same
    I think the big issue is that these mistakes and poor performances keep happening. Teams arent playing out of there skin to beat us and yet they still do, without a wimper from us at times.

Your loyalty to Bowyer is admirable and what hes done is fantastic but can you honestly say he is getting the best out of these players? That his tactics are more right than wrong? 

This squad on paper is easily good enough to make play offs at least so where is it falling down? At the end of the day, any manager would be in trouble now. 

I agree we need stability but we also need to see progression, signs of things on the up. If anything this team are regressing.

It just isnt good enough.

We shouldn't have continued flirting with the diamond when we patently don't have the players to make it work.  Do I think this squad is play off potential?  I'm not so sure now.  They're the same goals we concede week in week out, and it's due to central defenders clearing well or poorly but the central midfield not winning defensive secondary balls - we're alright on offensive secondary balls.  Does Bowyer have some blame in his personnel choice?  Maybe, but he's faced an impossible constraint in immoral owners and a salary cap.

He's improved and created three squads, of which two were successes above the resources he had, and he turned an average L1 Robinson team to one of the better form play off teams.  This season he's created another squad with very few left over from last season.  The full backs, the wingers and the strikers look good enough.  I think I'd say if we had 3 of our central defenders fit we may have a Play Off squad.  The only area of the squad I see as not having the right blend is central midfield:  Cullen papered over so many cracks last season, and the season before he had Bielik, Pratley and Aribo defensively competing with him.  But without Innis I'm not sure this squad is play off standard.

Jesus even with these problems I'm more agreeable to watch this than the Robinson teams trying to play Barcelona 4-2-3-1, and looking utter dog shit with 65% possession and a crap result in every difficult game.  Bowyer had what was it 10 days to get a squad together?  And to get it under the cap.  Watching Robinson for two seasons not change his tactics in a match let alone a season, I think any reasonable person would give Bowyer another pre-season and season so he can correct any problems.
    If we continue playing this badly until the end of the season I would lose any respect for TS if he left LB in charge. There are an awful lot of teams in L1 working under salary constraints.

A run of 21 points in 18 games mainly against teams in the lower half of the table is poor however you dress it up. There has to be an upturn in form otherwise why would you want to persevere with Lee? 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I'm not going to swim completely against the tide here, but I am going to cut across the current a little. I don't think the overall performance is quite as bad as some are perceiving it. I am very worried about the defence and have been for a long time. I was surprised at the start of the transfer window when Bows said he was not looking for defenders. I expected that to be because Famewo and Inniss were coming back soon. A fortnight after the window has shut and neither are even back on the bench yet. Not seeking a replacement for either is increasingly looking like an appalling decision. The first and third goals today were entirely preventable. We missed the opportunity in January to get someone in who could have prevented them. We blew it. As individual players, I think that both Oshilaja and Pearce are capable of playing at this level, but I don't think either are consistent enough for them to play as a pair. Both need to play with someone better alongside to minimise the costs of their mistakes.

I thought Chuks and Stockley looked very good up front. And I think that for the vast majority of the game we were the better team in the middle. I'm not saying there's no room for improvement, I'd definitely like to see some more incisive moves, but I don't think we were as bad as many are saying. That game turned on Chuks' sending off. To me, both cards are arguable but looked harsh. To give one would be understandable, to give two looks like malice. With Chuks on the field (or being replaced by Schwartz) we'd have still been in the ascendancy. A man down and our old problem of dropping deep reared its ugly head.

We didn't cover ourselves in glory, but defence aside, we shouldn't be wallowing in shame either.
    I appreciate your effort at looking at the positives, it’s the amount of time this type of not playing that bad, but losing and letting in so many goals has gone on for( little run aside). Something obviously isn’t working and definitely not getting improved upon.
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Greenie said:
    How on earth can anyone blame the manager for that performance, when players consistently play below their ability level, it’s down to them. We didn’t close them down in our final third, they scored two cracking goals and we gave them the third.
    We hit the post and the bar in the first twenty minutes and Chuks should not have been dismissed, but all the supporters saying Bow should go need to have a little think...
    Because if ALL the players play below their ability level for over a year ALL the players can't be at fault? 
    But not ALL the player’s are, so what is your point?
    Who has played well, for their own level, consistently for the last year?  So what is your list? 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Stig said:
    I'm not going to swim completely against the tide here, but I am going to cut across the current a little. I don't think the overall performance is quite as bad as some are perceiving it. I am very worried about the defence and have been for a long time. I was surprised at the start of the transfer window when Bows said he was not looking for defenders. I expected that to be because Famewo and Inniss were coming back soon. A fortnight after the window has shut and neither are even back on the bench yet. Not seeking a replacement for either is increasingly looking like an appalling decision. The first and third goals today were entirely preventable. We missed the opportunity in January to get someone in who could have prevented them. We blew it. As individual players, I think that both Oshilaja and Pearce are capable of playing at this level, but I don't think either are consistent enough for them to play as a pair. Both need to play with someone better alongside to minimise the costs of their mistakes.

I thought Chuks and Stockley looked very good up front. And I think that for the vast majority of the game we were the better team in the middle. I'm not saying there's no room for improvement, I'd definitely like to see some more incisive moves, but I don't think we were as bad as many are saying. That game turned on Chuks' sending off. To me, both cards are arguable but looked harsh. To give one would be understandable, to give two looks like malice. With Chuks on the field (or being replaced by Schwartz) we'd have still been in the ascendancy. A man down and our old problem of dropping deep reared its ugly head.

We didn't cover ourselves in glory, but defence aside, we shouldn't be wallowing in shame either.
    I appreciate your effort at looking at the positives, it’s the amount of time this type of not playing that bad, but losing and letting in so many goals has gone on for( little run aside). Something obviously isn’t working and definitely not getting improved upon.
    If we keep shipping so many goals we will effectively have to write the season off. 
  • Options
    Unfortunately Pearce looked exposed again today and oshilaja and purrington both made mistakes that led to goals.

we still should have won and probably would have but for some harsh/unfair refereeing. 

It’s difficult to dominate a game when you are behind from the first minute. All in all a shit afternoon again. 
  • Options
    If LB says we are overachieving, he's addressing the owner rather than the fans.
    After the way he backed him in this transfer window I hope Tommy tells him to fuck right off 
  • Options
    Champs85 said:
    We have mk dons best player from the last 3 seasons. Swindon’s best 2 players from this season. A previous league one champion and player of the year midfielder. Two championship level strikers. Anyone that says our squad isn’t good enough is on something. We are massively underachieving and Bowyer coming out with shit like today is delusional. Yes we don’t have the best centre backs at the moment but it’s just not good enough. Even in our winning run in September/October we were average. It’s not entitlement, we are better than this 
      Where did MK finish and where are Swindon in the division?   I like Shinnie a lot, but he had Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu next to him who's enough midfielder for two opposing players:  Plus Luton had James Justin and Jack Stacey who pinned back teams from full back, and were among the top in assists:  Made Shinnie's job a lot easier.  This squad is not a patch on our 2018/19 season, let alone Luton's.  As crap as we've been I can't remember a team that got promoted after being thrown together. 
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Champs85 said:
    We have mk dons best player from the last 3 seasons. Swindon’s best 2 players from this season. A previous league one champion and player of the year midfielder. Two championship level strikers. Anyone that says our squad isn’t good enough is on something. We are massively underachieving and Bowyer coming out with shit like today is delusional. Yes we don’t have the best centre backs at the moment but it’s just not good enough. Even in our winning run in September/October we were average. It’s not entitlement, we are better than this 
      Where did MK finish and where are Swindon in the division?   I like Shinnie a lot, but he had Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu next to him who's enough midfielder for two opposing players:  Plus Luton had James Justin and Jack Stacey who pinned back teams from full back, and were among the top in assists:  Made Shinnie's job a lot easier.  This squad is not a patch on our 2018/19 season, let alone Luton's.  As crap as we've been I can't remember a team that got promoted after being thrown together. 
    Do you think Lee has done a good job this season?