Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Gillingham | 13th Feb 2021

Comments

• Options
    MattF said:
    I'd say gauging the sentiment on here this is about the lowest we've felt, so the good news is we should soon be the plateau of midtable productivity 

Still room to go lower...
  • Options
    Very disappointing afternoon. Gillingham scored twice with well taken long range efforts whilst we were playing better football and hitting the bar and post etc. At 2-2 we didn't move on and take the game. Over the next 15 minutes there seemed to be a lot of misplaced passes, frittered away free kicks and corners and holding off challenges. Then Aneke got sent off, the game went 2-3 and died for us.

I thought losing Forster-Caskey weakened us, and was clearly unfortunate. Jaiyesimi looks ok (League One ok, that is) but I don't "get" why we let Williams go, who I think had the edge over him.

We're not completely out of the mix yet, but I no one would put money on us going up.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    That isn't going to happen. It looks pretty obvious Sandgaard has given Bowyer a target of the play offs, For him to be sacked during this season we will have to be totally out of contention and Sandgaard may want to wait to find a suitable replacement even if we are.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Surely that's a typo from @LouisMend

Bowyer cannot possibly have said overachieving?

EDIT: Just seen Benjy's post as well. Unbelievable. 
  • Options

Guess he did

• Options
    robroy said:
    Davo55 said:
    By the way, is Evans the most punchable lump of shit in football? Too fucking right he is.
    I see your Evans and I raise you Pardew 
    You certainly got that phrase the right way round, cos raising Evans would be harder than raising the fucking Titanic.
  • Options
    MattF said:

Guess he did

Also said this...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Come on Charlton, do the right thing and save our season. Get rid and do everything you can to get Paul Cook in.
    What if Paul Cook doesnt work?
    Bowyer isn't working.
    You do realise the next man could do even worse right?

Its one thing that hasnt been given ANY consideration by the majoity who want Bowyer In or Out
    It's true, but on that basis we shouldn't have sacked any manager ever.  Including the ones you didn't like/rate/want.  Karel Fraeye would still be manager. 
    Yet then we've got a Manager who has got us out of this League the right way before now

So I'm a bit more prepared to give him more time than others rather than make a knee jerk reaction, yes for me, two months of poor football in his overall performance @ this level is just that.

We've longed for stability at this club, the times we've rushed to sack a Manager at this level has resulted an even longer spell in League One than we'd have liked - So you'll have to excuse me for being on the side of caution.

I long know I wont win any arguments now so will be my last post on this matter... I'm bored of it now, everyone knows my stance, if anyone dont like it or have some pathetic view that Bowyer has something on me, well thats their problem

Of course if we sack Bowyer and win promotion to the Championship this season then I'll be the first to put my hands up and admit I'm wrong (a bit like when I put my hands up the instant we got relegated in July) - If Bowyer goes and we dont return to the Championship for a while, I dont expect anyone with the opposite opinion to do the same
    I think the big issue is that these mistakes and poor performances keep happening. Teams arent playing out of there skin to beat us and yet they still do, without a wimper from us at times.

Your loyalty to Bowyer is admirable and what hes done is fantastic but can you honestly say he is getting the best out of these players? That his tactics are more right than wrong? 

This squad on paper is easily good enough to make play offs at least so where is it falling down? At the end of the day, any manager would be in trouble now. 

I agree we need stability but we also need to see progression, signs of things on the up. If anything this team are regressing.

It just isnt good enough.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Rob7Lee said:

It really is a crap league, no one has lost less than 5 (Sunderland) and it should have been a decent year to make a go for the top two, but sadly I don't see us even making the play offs (but is still possible of course) and we're set for another year in this god awful league.
    Hull City have lost 9 games also - and they are 2nd.

Managed to lose at home to MK today, as well.

They also lost to Burton last week. Some strange / unexpected results in this league. 

In our 11/12 promotion season we lost 9 games in total. 
  • Options
    17 points in 15 games......
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    How on earth can anyone blame the manager for that performance, when players consistently play below their ability level, it’s down to them. We didn’t close them down in our final third, they scored two cracking goals and we gave them the third.
    We hit the post and the bar in the first twenty minutes and Chuks should not have been dismissed, but all the supporters saying Bow should go need to have a little think...
    If the players are consistently playing at that level, I suggest that that is their level rather than them playing below their level. 
  • Options
    We were worth a point but until we have our missing central defenders back this goal leaking will continue.
    one of their Goals was a wonder strike.
    the Referee was a total ARSEHOLE.

this team will struggle to stay top six without its defenders back !!
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    With TS now our owner, I really hope this is the last ever season that we need to talk about possibly finishing in mid-table league 1. 
    I hope so too.

Lets also remember TS needs to prove himself as well. We have had plenty of owners who we jumped on at the start and turned out not as expected. 

A few pics strumming a guitar and playing Valley Floyd Road does not a great owner make.

Looking forward to seeing the summer plans whoever is in charge 
  • Options
    I’m a Bowyer fan and would not want him sacked. But how on earth he could be so upbeat in his post-match interview, I don’t know. My chin would have been on the floor after that display. 
  • Options
    The thing about that stat of 21 points from 18 games is that we should also take into account the level of opposition:

Beat- Ipswich, Wimbledon. MK Dons, Bristol Rovers & Rochdale
    Drew against - Gillingham, Shrewsbury, Swindon (twice), Plymouth & Rochdale
    Lost to - Burton, MK Dons, Hull, Accrington, Peterborough, Portsmouth & Gillingham 

The ones in bold are in the bottom half of the table so only 6 of those games were against teams in the top half. Our run in is very difficult.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    With TS now our owner, I really hope this is the last ever season that we need to talk about possibly finishing in mid-table league 1. 
    I hope so too.

Lets also remember TS needs to prove himself as well. We have had plenty of owners who we jumped on at the start and turned out not as expected. 

A few pics strumming a guitar and playing Valley Floyd Road does not a great owner make.

Looking forward to seeing the summer plans whoever is in charge 
    Agree, we've been burned more often than not with owners. He's saying all the right things but that needs to translate into our league stature actually improving. 
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    We were worth a point but until we have our missing central defenders back this goal leaking will continue.
    one of their Goals was a wonder strike.
    the Referee was a total ARSEHOLE.

this team will struggle to stay top six without its defenders back !!
    I look forward to the same excuse about the missing CBs being trotted out in 2030...
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Greenie said:
    How on earth can anyone blame the manager for that performance, when players consistently play below their ability level, it’s down to them. We didn’t close them down in our final third, they scored two cracking goals and we gave them the third.
    We hit the post and the bar in the first twenty minutes and Chuks should not have been dismissed, but all the supporters saying Bow should go need to have a little think...
    If the players are consistently playing at that level, I suggest that that is their level rather than them  playing below their level. 
    I would argue that it isn't.  Every single player, probably bar Millar and arguably Aneke, has performed at a much higher level recently.  Including some under Bowyer.

Is Purrington playing as well as 2 years ago?  Are Pearce, Pratley, Watson and Matthews playing at the level they did in 2019? Is Amos the keeper he was just 3 or 4 months ago?  

Final question if you swapped the managers round which team would have won today? 

(For ballance I would rather shit on my hands and clap then have Evans as manager) 
  • Options
    The thing about that stat of 21 points from 18 games is that we should also take into account the level of opposition:

Lost to - Burton, MK Dons, Hull, Accrington, Peterborough, Portsmouth & Gillingham 

The ones in bold are in the bottom half of the table so only 6 of those games were against teams in the top half. Our run in is very difficult.
    Our difficult run in is what gives us a chance. But we certainly have to improve and the question that Thomas should sit down and think about is whether that improvement will most likely come from Bowyer or somebody else.
  • Options
    Yet another crap team has come to the Valley and scored goals.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Yet another crap team has come to the Valley and scored goals.
    Well where else are we supposed to go, it is our ground?
  • Options

Our difficult run in is what gives us a chance. But we certainly have to improve and the question that Thomas should sit down and think about is whether that improvement will most likely come from Bowyer or somebody else.
    When you look at who we have played in those 18 games it makes our run look even worse.