Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Gillingham | 13th Feb 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    ColinTat said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Come on Charlton, do the right thing and save our season. Get rid and do everything you can to get Paul Cook in.
    What if Paul Cook doesnt work?
    Bowyer isn't working.
    You do realise the next man could do even worse right?

Its one thing that hasnt been given ANY consideration by the majoity who want Bowyer In or Out
    It's true, but on that basis we shouldn't have sacked any manager ever.  Including the ones you didn't like/rate/want.  Karel Fraeye would still be manager. 
    Yet then we've got a Manager who has got us out of this League the right way before now

So I'm a bit more prepared to give him more time than others rather than make a knee jerk reaction, yes for me, two months of poor football in his overall performance @ this level is just that.

We've longed for stability at this club, the times we've rushed to sack a Manager at this level has resulted an even longer spell in League One than we'd have liked - So you'll have to excuse me for being on the side of caution.

I long know I wont win any arguments now so will be my last post on this matter... I'm bored of it now, everyone knows my stance, if anyone dont like it or have some pathetic view that Bowyer has something on me, well thats their problem

Of course if we sack Bowyer and win promotion to the Championship this season then I'll be the first to put my hands up and admit I'm wrong (a bit like when I put my hands up the instant we got relegated in July) - If Bowyer goes and we dont return to the Championship for a while, I dont expect anyone with the opposite opinion to do the same
    I think the big issue is that these mistakes and poor performances keep happening. Teams arent playing out of there skin to beat us and yet they still do, without a wimper from us at times.

Your loyalty to Bowyer is admirable and what hes done is fantastic but can you honestly say he is getting the best out of these players? That his tactics are more right than wrong? 

This squad on paper is easily good enough to make play offs at least so where is it falling down? At the end of the day, any manager would be in trouble now. 

I agree we need stability but we also need to see progression, signs of things on the up. If anything this team are regressing.

It just isnt good enough.

We shouldn't have continued flirting with the diamond when we patently don't have the players to make it work.  Do I think this squad is play off potential?  I'm not so sure now.  They're the same goals we concede week in week out, and it's due to central defenders clearing well or poorly but the central midfield not winning defensive secondary balls - we're alright on offensive secondary balls.  Does Bowyer have some blame in his personnel choice?  Maybe, but he's faced an impossible constraint in immoral owners and a salary cap.

He's improved and created three squads, of which two were successes above the resources he had, and he turned an average L1 Robinson team to one of the better form play off teams.  This season he's created another squad with very few left over from last season.  The full backs, the wingers and the strikers look good enough.  I think I'd say if we had 3 of our central defenders fit we may have a Play Off squad.  The only area of the squad I see as not having the right blend is central midfield:  Cullen papered over so many cracks last season, and the season before he had Bielik, Pratley and Aribo defensively competing with him.  But without Innis I'm not sure this squad is play off standard.

Jesus even with these problems I'm more agreeable to watch this than the Robinson teams trying to play Barcelona 4-2-3-1, and looking utter dog shit with 65% possession and a crap result in every difficult game.  Bowyer had what was it 10 days to get a squad together?  And to get it under the cap.  Watching Robinson for two seasons not change his tactics in a match let alone a season, I think any reasonable person would give Bowyer another pre-season and season so he can correct any problems.
    I wrote massive rant, re read what you said and realised you didn't mean what I thought you did soz. 
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Come on Charlton, do the right thing and save our season. Get rid and do everything you can to get Paul Cook in.
    Bowyer isn't working.

Its one thing that hasnt been given ANY consideration by the majoity who want Bowyer In or Out
    It's true, but on that basis we shouldn't have sacked any manager ever.  Including the ones you didn't like/rate/want.  Karel Fraeye would still be manager. 
    Yet then we've got a Manager who has got us out of this League the right way before now

So I'm a bit more prepared to give him more time than others rather than make a knee jerk reaction, yes for me, two months of poor football in his overall performance @ this level is just that.

We've longed for stability at this club, the times we've rushed to sack a Manager at this level has resulted an even longer spell in League One than we'd have liked - So you'll have to excuse me for being on the side of caution.

I long know I wont win any arguments now so will be my last post on this matter... I'm bored of it now, everyone knows my stance, if anyone dont like it or have some pathetic view that Bowyer has something on me, well thats their problem

Of course if we sack Bowyer and win promotion to the Championship this season then I'll be the first to put my hands up and admit I'm wrong (a bit like when I put my hands up the instant we got relegated in July) - If Bowyer goes and we dont return to the Championship for a while, I dont expect anyone with the opposite opinion to do the same
    I think the big issue is that these mistakes and poor performances keep happening. Teams arent playing out of there skin to beat us and yet they still do, without a wimper from us at times.

Your loyalty to Bowyer is admirable and what hes done is fantastic but can you honestly say he is getting the best out of these players? That his tactics are more right than wrong? 

This squad on paper is easily good enough to make play offs at least so where is it falling down? At the end of the day, any manager would be in trouble now. 

I agree we need stability but we also need to see progression, signs of things on the up. If anything this team are regressing.

We shouldn't have continued flirting with the diamond when we patently don't have the players to make it work.  Do I think this squad is play off potential?  I'm not so sure now.  They're the same goals we concede week in week out, and it's due to central defenders clearing well or poorly but the central midfield not winning defensive secondary balls - we're alright on offensive secondary balls.  Does Bowyer have some blame in his personnel choice?  Maybe, but he's faced an impossible constraint in immoral owners and a salary cap.

He's improved and created three squads, of which two were successes above the resources he had, and he turned an average L1 Robinson team to one of the better form play off teams.  This season he's created another squad with very few left over from last season.  The full backs, the wingers and the strikers look good enough.  I think I'd say if we had 3 of our central defenders fit we may have a Play Off squad.  The only area of the squad I see as not having the right blend is central midfield:  Cullen papered over so many cracks last season, and the season before he had Bielik, Pratley and Aribo defensively competing with him.  But without Innis I'm not sure this squad is play off standard.

Jesus even with these problems I'm more agreeable to watch this than the Robinson teams trying to play Barcelona 4-2-3-1, and looking utter dog shit with 65% possession and a crap result in every difficult game.  Bowyer had what was it 10 days to get a squad together?  And to get it under the cap.  Watching Robinson for two seasons not change his tactics in a match let alone a season, I think any reasonable person would give Bowyer another pre-season and season so he can correct any problems.
    If we continue playing this badly until the end of the season I would lose any respect for TS if he left LB in charge. There are an awful lot of teams in L1 working under salary constraints.

A run of 21 points in 18 games mainly against teams in the lower half of the table is poor however you dress it up. There has to be an upturn in form otherwise why would you want to persevere with Lee? 
      They've all had years to get there squad together, plus most of them like Peterborough could sign their players before the salary cap vote.  So they got their targets such as Clarke Harris and Smzodics without wages being limited by the salary cap.  Why did we persevere with Powell with such awful form?  If the rest of the season is relegation form then I'd consider a change of manager, especially if the manager does not clearly identify the weaknesses and the targets for improvement coherently to the owner.
  • Options
    Do we know any more about inniss and how his scan went?I'm pretty sure it was yesterday with a view to starting training on Monday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t really know what to say anymore. It’s so frustrating. 

Think I am at my lowest point with Charlton and lockdown I have been this season so a double whammy tonight. Think because today has killed off any slight hope I had left for the season. 

Don’t think we played awful but our defence is maybe the worse I have ever seen even worse than Daily, Gary doc and llera. No team who is as pathetic and clueless as we are at the back can get expect to do anything to get near promotion. 

Thought aneke (up until the silly yellows), stockley, millar and pratley can say they played well everyone else just bang average. 

• Options
    Can we not stick Bowyer on Gardening leave until the crowds return and get some mundane turgid type in that can work wonders in a soulless stadium?
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Stig said:
    I'm not going to swim completely against the tide here, but I am going to cut across the current a little. I don't think the overall performance is quite as bad as some are perceiving it. I am very worried about the defence and have been for a long time. I was surprised at the start of the transfer window when Bows said he was not looking for defenders. I expected that to be because Famewo and Inniss were coming back soon. A fortnight after the window has shut and neither are even back on the bench yet. Not seeking a replacement for either is increasingly looking like an appalling decision. The first and third goals today were entirely preventable. We missed the opportunity in January to get someone in who could have prevented them. We blew it. As individual players, I think that both Oshilaja and Pearce are capable of playing at this level, but I don't think either are consistent enough for them to play as a pair. Both need to play with someone better alongside to minimise the costs of their mistakes.

I thought Chuks and Stockley looked very good up front. And I think that for the vast majority of the game we were the better team in the middle. I'm not saying there's no room for improvement, I'd definitely like to see some more incisive moves, but I don't think we were as bad as many are saying. That game turned on Chuks' sending off. To me, both cards are arguable but looked harsh. To give one would be understandable, to give two looks like malice. With Chuks on the field (or being replaced by Schwartz) we'd have still been in the ascendancy. A man down and our old problem of dropping deep reared its ugly head.

We didn't cover ourselves in glory, but defence aside, we shouldn't be wallowing in shame either.
    I appreciate your effort at looking at the positives, it’s the amount of time this type of not playing that bad, but losing and letting in so many goals has gone on for( little run aside). Something obviously isn’t working and definitely not getting improved upon.
    Certainly, I don't want to paint a falsely positive picture. There are major problems and I don't want to gloss over them. That said I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

I think the ten-game form table tells us how it is.  It certainly isn't good enough, but neither is it the relegation form that some are claiming.   For me the most telling columns on that table are the for and against ones. Eighteen goals against is a shocker. We really need to be doing better, that's why I am incredulous that we didn't strengthen at the back in January. But goals scored, fourteen... oh fuck it, that's not good enough either is it? I've just defeated my own argument. You're right, I'm taking the rose tinted glasses off right now.

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=3

• Options
    Manager holiday.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I kept banging on about bringing a centre back in and my criteria was he had to be a better centre back at this time than Gunter, Pratley or Pearce. Apparently there wasn't anybody. I have to accept that although Swindon managed to bring in Conor Masterson from QPR, who I would say fits my not too demanding criteria even if there wasn't anybody better.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Stig said:
    I'm not going to swim completely against the tide here, but I am going to cut across the current a little. I don't think the overall performance is quite as bad as some are perceiving it. I am very worried about the defence and have been for a long time. I was surprised at the start of the transfer window when Bows said he was not looking for defenders. I expected that to be because Famewo and Inniss were coming back soon. A fortnight after the window has shut and neither are even back on the bench yet. Not seeking a replacement for either is increasingly looking like an appalling decision. The first and third goals today were entirely preventable. We missed the opportunity in January to get someone in who could have prevented them. We blew it. As individual players, I think that both Oshilaja and Pearce are capable of playing at this level, but I don't think either are consistent enough for them to play as a pair. Both need to play with someone better alongside to minimise the costs of their mistakes.

I thought Chuks and Stockley looked very good up front. And I think that for the vast majority of the game we were the better team in the middle. I'm not saying there's no room for improvement, I'd definitely like to see some more incisive moves, but I don't think we were as bad as many are saying. That game turned on Chuks' sending off. To me, both cards are arguable but looked harsh. To give one would be understandable, to give two looks like malice. With Chuks on the field (or being replaced by Schwartz) we'd have still been in the ascendancy. A man down and our old problem of dropping deep reared its ugly head.

We didn't cover ourselves in glory, but defence aside, we shouldn't be wallowing in shame either.
    I appreciate your effort at looking at the positives, it’s the amount of time this type of not playing that bad, but losing and letting in so many goals has gone on for( little run aside). Something obviously isn’t working and definitely not getting improved upon.
    If we keep shipping so many goals we will effectively have to write the season off. 

Tbf I wrote it off weeks ago. 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    I hope this might finally nail down the fact that hoping for Famewo & Innis to save our season is just pie in the sky. They've only played 4 times together this season  as well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    paulfox said:
    Stig said:

If we keep shipping so many goals we will effectively have to write the season off. 

Tbf I wrote it off weeks ago. 
    Yup.
  • Options
    Bowyer isn't working.

This is fucking crazy logic.

Let's stick with a manager who's clearly underperforming because you never know, the next manager might do even worse.

If that was the case, no manager would ever get sacked.
    I wonder if @ForeverAddickted is still with his first girlfriend.....
    Woaaaaaa fuck the fuck off!!... Gets fucking personal with some of you lot doesnt it!!!

P.S. Yes I am...
    Whoa, calm down mate.

Just using your analogy that you can't get rid of someone because the next one might be worse. Therefore, in that respect, do you never end a relationship because you may never find anyone better.

And I should bloody know - I've been divorced twice  !!!!
  • Options
    You have to look at the risk of playing JFC today as it had been mentioned he was a doubt and to play with the risk in the conditions today has backfired on LB and the club and especially the supporters, he had enough in reserve and should have given the SMITH for example an opportunity who would have had Pratley by his side. He would given the opposition something to think about, and now he has lost JFC one of his key players for weeks.

Please don't blame the call opposition manager out for getting a player sent off. A manager should be able to assess whats taking place on the pitch and removed the player if this was being influenced by the Mr Evans. I am sure LB does the same when he is on the touch.

LB is clearly struggling, and although I briefly write the odd few lines on this site, it is clear he missed the boat by not securing a defender in the last window, and to suggest his team is overachieving is a weakness of his inner-self which is now being born out in his interview.

Do the club say thank you LB and your team for your hard work, and ring the changes, which must also be going through the owners mind, but something is not right with LB who is in a rut at the moment, the result and performances are a true reflection where we are currently!

One of the issues is teams like Gillingham, Swindon, Rochdale will work their socks off because the are playing Charlton, MK Dons are proof of that, and have done the same with their fantastic win at Hull.

This team has to find a way to win and this will only come from hard work on and off the pitch!

I can only wish for us as supporters to keep supporting what the club stands for and in time we will make progress  :)

• Options
    I don’t really know what to say anymore. It’s so frustrating. 

Think I am at my lowest point with Charlton and lockdown I have been this season so a double whammy tonight. Think because today has killed off any slight hope I had left for the season. 

Don’t think we played awful but our defence is maybe the worse I have ever seen even worse than Daily, Gary doc and llera. No team who is as pathetic and clueless as we are at the back can get expect to do anything to get near promotion. 

Thought aneke (up until the silly yellows), stockley, millar and pratley can say they played well everyone else just bang average. 

Do you not remember when Bikey went awol?
  • Options
    Everyone wanted Bowyer to stop “tinkering”:as they call it, and start the same 11 that won at Rochdale with a near perfect performance. So that is what he did. And how was he rewarded? 

Within * 20 seconds* of k.o. Oshi, who had a cracking game at Rochdale, provides an inch perfect knock down - for Rob Lee’s son in a blue shirt. A mistake that Oshi always looks like he has in him, which is why he is where he is. Then JFC, who had just started to run the game, goes down with the hammy they all knew about, but someone told Bow was ok to risk. Early game hamstrings are a sure sign something isnt right, thats what did for Watson couple of games back. How about all you Championship Managers ask some questions about that side of things, because you know, even Paul Cook can’t heal the sick. 

Is any of this Bowyer’s fault? . Is it his fault that we injure both our centre backs who keep 6 consec.clean sheets, in training? And that both of them are out for the top end of original estimates? And just who are the better centre backs we could have brought in for £500 a week, as that was all that was left under the ridiculous salary cap? And what would we have done with them if, as Bow had probably been promised, both Famewo and Inniss were back by today?

But yeah, Paul effing Cook. FFS. 
    This x100
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Bowyer isn't working.

If we continue playing this badly until the end of the season I would lose any respect for TS if he left LB in charge. There are an awful lot of teams in L1 working under salary constraints.

A run of 21 points in 18 games mainly against teams in the lower half of the table is poor however you dress it up. There has to be an upturn in form otherwise why would you want to persevere with Lee? 

Being generous, Bowyer probably realisises he needs to sort things out by December.
    From an (very distant)afar, it will be very interesting where we are in December 2021.
  • Options
    Their first goal was an anomaly. Let's just put it down to us not having woken up. But we were in the ascendancy until the injury to Forster-Caskey. In hindsight he shouldn't have started but that wasn't what did us. What did though was bringing on DJ for him. It wasn't a like-for-like sub and left us lightweight in midfield and back to where we were 2 or 3 games ago - very vulnerable on the break from the other team. Why wasn't Smith the ready made replacement for Jake? I think that would have been a lot more balanced substitution.
    So, we were always playing catch up, again, and the icing on the cake was the rush of blood to the head from Aneke. That effectively killed it off and in typical Charlton fashion we couldn't even hold out for the drawer.
    This was a game that we should have won with better management. Onto the next one. 
  • Options
    Bowyer isn't working.

This is fucking crazy logic.

Let's stick with a manager who's clearly underperforming because you never know, the next manager might do even worse.

If that was the case, no manager would ever get sacked.
    I wonder if @ForeverAddickted is still with his first girlfriend.....
    Woaaaaaa fuck the fuck off!!... Gets fucking personal with some of you lot doesnt it!!!

P.S. Yes I am...
    Surprised about that!  That you have a girlfriend...