Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Burton Albion | Tues 23rd Feb 2021

Comments

• Options
    Maybe without ESI, this change wouldn't have happened to Bowyer. But whether it was the injury crisis, ESI or both, it has got him. Sadly there clearly is no way forward for us with him.
  • Options
    Why not change the mood music and see what that brings this season? Are we not allowed to try FFS, given the number of games remaining? It doesn't matter if we haven't got a manager lined up, we can appoint a caretaker.

Jason Euell as caretaker with his old manager Curbs helping out but Jason picks the team.

Curbishley has so much experience that is going to waste.

• Options
    We're still only 5 points from the play-offs........
    But played more games then teams around us...
  • Options
    kafka said:
    jams said:
    overwhelming feeling right now is not anger, not frustration, but sadness.

how has it got to this point with lee? i think there really only is one way this goes now, and i am just sad at the situation. 

i think it's time to part ways and try something else, with sadness 
    I agree. After the play off win, we all hoped it was history repeating itself with Curbs. 

Huge difference that Curbs had a strong ownership above him willing to support him through anything. Bowyer never had that until September last year. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    We were 5 points from the play offs with 10 to go when Bowyer got his chance. Not too late to give somebody else to have a chance. Even if it removes some of the toxicity and has a short term effect.
  • Options
    And only 4 points from 15th, which direction are we headed in?
  • Options
    kafka said:
    jams said:
    overwhelming feeling right now is not anger, not frustration, but sadness.

how has it got to this point with lee? i think there really only is one way this goes now, and i am just sad at the situation. 

i think it's time to part ways and try something else, with sadness 
    I agree. After the play off win, we all hoped it was history repeating itself with Curbs. 

Huge difference that Curbs had a strong ownership above him willing to support him through anything. Bowyer never had that until September last year. 
    And I think that’s taken a toll. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Whole club needs a reset, this team of players are not fit to wear the shirt. They’d be getting dogs abuse if fans were in the stadium. I love Bowyer and thank him for bringing back the connection with the fans but we are going backwards. 

Does Thomas have the guile to make a big decision and change manager...time will tell. 
  • Options
    It is really weird how a team can drop off so much as a match goes on. The 1st 20 mins we were all over them then you can actually see the performance drop as the minutes tick by. Imo starting with a back 5 against the bottom team in the league is just ridiculous, when I saw pratley and Watson starting the writing was on the wall. Far too negative in a game that everyone knew was a must win game. I feel so sad for LB as he just seems lost and confused. I would prefer he walks rather than wait for the inevitable phone call as he deserves to be remembered for what he has done for the club in the past 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Whole club needs a reset, this team of players are not fit to wear the shirt. They’d be getting dogs abuse if fans were in the stadium. I love Bowyer and thank him for bringing back the connection with the fans but we are going backwards. 

Does Thomas have the guile to make a big decision and change manager...Time will tell. 
    Let’s not forget TS is new to this too.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    I would be surprised if Thomas doesn't sleep on it and then have an emergency meeting with Roddy tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Defensively, out of possession we are a shitshow. Truly awful. Going forward we lack decisiveness, the amount of times we dick about and let a defence get their shape before putting the ball into the penalty area is aggravating me. 

Something else I'll come back to. We nearly didn't have a club not that long ago and we would have been in a much worse position if Bowyer and Jackson decided enough was enough and they fucked off when we were staring down the barrel. We've hustled this squad together and even if we did string a run of results together and got to the play offs who hand on heart would be happier watching us get taken apart over two legs. We have a collective of players not a squad and it would be grossly unfair on Lee Bowyer not to get a chance to spend some money and create the squad he wants like Chris Powell did. 

Powell took us from play offs to barely mid table when he first came in. I know a lot of us conveniently forget that because of the following season but the end of 2011 was fucking awful 
    Bowyer's management this season in terms of tactics and team selection has been shockingly inept since our away defeat to Burton - he's the manager and has failed to get the best out of the squad. The squad in 2011 was far worse than this one.

He's simply not good enough.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:

Does Thomas have the guile to make a big decision and change manager...Time will tell. 
    I was thinking about this and I don't think he has, he will need a lot of advice or just leave it to other people. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    But played more games then teams around us...
    Minor detail.
  • Options
    Dont like the name calling as bow has stuck by us through thick and thin, but his management style has been heavily reliant on having a massive unit and a centre back who can play and smashing people on the counter... We couldn't adapt when they were both out. Appreciative of everything he has done for us, but I think it is time for change and I'd do it now while the Cowleys are still available 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't be getting doubled over by the team in the basement. Glad I'm at work and didn't have to suffer through 90 minutes of shit
  • Options
    At least that disloyal act of replacing Lampard is backfiring for Chelsea!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    After watching Bowyer's interview I have one question. What is an outside centre half?
    Someone like Pratley or Oshilaja tonight who is playing on the outside of a back three?
    So it's a made up phrase for playing players out of position. 

• Options
    robroy said:
    Minto's reaction there would told me Bowyer knows his off, Hes facial expression said it all
    Yes agreed. I must say some of those players in their should hang their heads in shame, disgrace from some of them. 

True. But maybe they are fed up with seeing colleagues that they like humiliated, slagged off and criticised. In those circumstances don't expect them to burst a gut.

Like the two signings from Swindon, he's criticised them both & they've hardly played. Criticise in private if you have to but not in the media.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    I’m finding it really hard to relate to the modern game. The way that money has corrupted the game is awful, but the effect it has had on the way supporters’ think (talk and act) is truly tragic. 
    Managers have always been sacked.  Alf Ramsey was sacked.  Any Charlton manager who finishes in the bottom half of the 3rd division is likely to be sacked. 

I don't think it's a modern problem.  20 years ago we would all be saying this in the pub, that's the only difference. 
    That’s very true.
  • Options
    Unfortunately for bows something has to change, it can’t be the players( although there’s an argument that a lot of them should be). So it has to be him. The situation isn’t a lot different to Chelsea for example with lampard, probably not something they relished but decided it had to be done. Admittedly we’re not Chelsea but the same principles will be applying.
  • Options
    How we not won that god knows .. the fact Burton were still in it at HT gave them a massive lift ... first half we were good new system looked promising .. no good blaming the manager there nothing he can do about a wonder save and two efforts hitting the woodwork .. then having a good goal ruled out ... LB got it right tonight .... second half Burton got their tactics spot on high pressing which forced us to go long and stopped us playing through midfield ....

as much as Stockley offers he has changed our style of play to much long ball now which is not helping players like DJ and Millar around him ... 

On Saturday go back to Aneke and Schwartz play the ball to their strengths on the floor behind the defence at the moment these two are suffering ..

You can’t blame defence tonight .. first goal was down to DJ not doing his defensive duties and the second was just another long range effort that took deflection .... 

• Options
    The situation now is like when you’re in a relationship that you’ve held dear but you know that for whatever reason the love has gone and it’s time to part ways. You’ve held on because you remember the good times, the times that gave you a spring in your step, when things were good and hoped beyond hope that you could turn it around and make it alright again but no matter how hard you try things will never be the same. Saying it’s over is hard but you do it before you start resenting and even hating the other person. It’ll hurt but you know that it’s for the best if you ever want the chance of being happy again. It’s sad but life goes on. 
    Dear Lee, it's not you, it's me. Sorry xxx
  • Options
    It don’t get tougher than being at home to the bottom club.