Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Burton Albion | Tues 23rd Feb 2021

Comments

• Options
    Terrible. 
    I think TS and Jed Roddy have a busy couple of months ahead getting a replacement. 
    Put in JJ or Jason in as caretaker and take our time getting the right man . 
    Thomas must wonder what he’s let himself in for ! 
    JJ is our defensive coach isn't he ? Hearing Steve Brown speak a lot of sense recently maybe he should be taken on board.
    I agree with you in principle, but some times people are great talkers, and talk a good game,  Gary Neville was much lauded when he came on the sky commentary scene, but was a part of the England debacle under Roy Hodgson and hasn’t been a success in management, who knows you might be right about Steve Brown, but I was wondering if Thomas will go for a foreign manager in the summer a la Brentford / Norwich, who knows?
    @flyingkiwiDK are there any Managers that you would rate in Denmark as being a good replacement?

Almost in a similar fashion to how Thomas Frank has come over?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Under different managers these players have either excelled at this level or been comfortable at the level above.

Was saying this to dad post game. My dad is a fan of over 70 years watching Charlton. He has seen it all. Some good, some great, but mostly crap, so he knows crap when he sees it. He is one of the most cool headed people I know when it comes to football. Tonight he's said that it for Bowyer. His time is over. Whether he goes tonight or the end of the season he's finished. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I think we have to trust Sandgaard and Roddy in terms of how and who to replace Bowyer. But he hasn't been sacked yet.
  • Options
    Bowyer going will not change the players being a disgrace and just not good enough
    they should be ashamed of themselves and have let themselves bows and us down with there performances of late

if he goes he goes a legend and great man still in my eyes and luckily a huge clear out of this dross in the summer either way !!!! 
    Have you ever stopped to think that under a different manager perhaps the players would be good enough?

Perhaps if we didn't come into a game against bottom of the table, at home, and play another different formation which we had not played before, which essentially involved 1 striker and 5 at the back, then the overall performance of the team might have been better?

Not to say bowyer hasnt messed up at times and set us up wrong or changed things about too much but if you can sit there and say that most of them players once they step over that line havent been a disgrace then god help us !

once there on that pitch they shld b putting in at least a half decent performance and battling display
    its just like they cant be bothered at all and its shocking for a professional footballer to jst blame bowyer for that is a joke 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Terrible. 
    I think TS and Jed Roddy have a busy couple of months ahead getting a replacement. 
    Put in JJ or Jason in as caretaker and take our time getting the right man . 
    Thomas must wonder what he’s let himself in for ! 
    JJ is our defensive coach isn't he ? Hearing Steve Brown speak a lot of sense recently maybe he should be taken on board.
    I agree with you in principle, but some times people are great talkers, and talk a good game,  Gary Neville was much lauded when he came on the sky commentary scene, but was a part of the England debacle under Roy Hodgson and hasn’t been a success in management, who knows you might be right about Steve Brown, but I was wondering if Thomas will go for a foreign manager in the summer a la Brentford / Norwich, who knows?
    @flyingkiwiDK are there any Managers that you would rate in Denmark as being a good replacement?

Almost in a similar fashion to how Thomas Frank has come over?
    Yes @ForeverAddickted. This guy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Riddersholm

He won the Danish cup for unfancied Sønderjyske last season 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    They look like a combination of headless chickens and fragile. That can change, but sometimes, sadly, you have to change the manager to change it. It isn't great when this happens, but we do need to see it for what it is when it does.
  • Options
    Bowyer going will not change the players being a disgrace and just not good enough
    they should be ashamed of themselves and have let themselves bows and us down with there performances of late

if he goes he goes a legend and great man still in my eyes and luckily a huge clear out of this dross in the summer either way !!!! 
    Have you ever stopped to think that under a different manager perhaps the players would be good enough?

Perhaps if we didn't come into a game against bottom of the table, at home, and play another different formation which we had not played before, which essentially involved 1 striker and 5 at the back, then the overall performance of the team might have been better?

Not to say bowyer hasnt messed up at times and set us up wrong or changed things about too much but if you can sit there and say that most of them players once they step over that line havent been a disgrace then god help us !

once there on that pitch they shld b putting in at least a half decent performance and battling display
    its just like they cant be bothered at all and its shocking for a professional footballer to jst blame bowyer for that is a joke 
    He's the manager and if he can't get the best out of the players that is down to him. It's part of the job for all managers in L1 - they have to manage personalities.
  • Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
  • Options
    Turn it round Bowyer .... 16 wins and that's 92 points ..... I know I'm dreaming and now believe that we will have a new manager before season 21/22 kicks off.   Always loved Lee but feel a change is needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I'd like JJ to be given a chance till the end of the season and if ever there was somebody who deserved loyalty it is him. This is a good opportunity as he can't make things worse.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I'd also like Jackson to be given the chance. This season is a write off at this point, so why not give him a try in order to see if he is capable of doing the job full time? If not, then we can bring in a permanent replacement in the Summer. 

How much responsibility JJ has for the current failings is something that I suspect Ged Roddy could be aware of and able to judge. But deep down, I would like to see him have the chance. 

In a way, it would be tougher to see him leave than Bowyer. He's a true Charlton legend, and to end that after 10 years would be very sad. Particularly if its largely a result of Bowyer's inability. 
  • Options
    I'd like JJ to be given a chance till the end of the season and if ever there was somebody who deserved loyalty it is him. This is a good opportunity as he can't make things worse.
    I get your sentiment but I think it needs completely new input, keep jj around to help the new fella if he’s wanted. The biggest issue has been the defence which has been jj’s department. Look where sentimental thoughts have got us too at the moment.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    That is a bit simplistic. This isn't American football. My caveat in giving JJ a chance is that the players like him. That would be important in the coming weeks if we were to turn things round. Also, that he has different ideas to Bowyer, which he could very well do. Roddy could interview him and if not, there is Euell, Pearce or another of our experienced players.

Bowyer was coaching the players under Robinson, but changed the tactics when he took over.
  • Options
    agim said:
    Could see this result coming tonight. We are utter turd and Burton have had a bit of a resurgence under JFH. 
    Same here. No way was this the gimme that many people thought

JFH did a great job at Burton first time round, and seems to be repeating it. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021

If you play 5 at the back at home to rock bottom Burton and leave your fit top striker on the bench in a must win game for you, then you must win.

This x 1000000000000000.

I wanted us to play Millar & DJ together but ffs if you do then at least play them as attacking players & have your top goal scorer in the starting 11. 

I don't know how many times I've said it, but coaching badges are worth diddly squat. Think I might do mine when I hang my boots up as a financial advisor. Obviously not very hard - pull 11 players names out of 1 hat & a formation out of another. Job done.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Under different managers these players have either excelled at this level or been comfortable at the level above.

Is this entirely true?
    Excelled at this level?
    Oshilaja? Millar? Pearce? Purrington? Smith?
    I was asking myself this question during the match. I think that they are underperforming but are they really as good as all that?
  • Options
    Still not a report on the fb page, is that usual?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pearce has won a title. Millar is with Liverpool and looks decent. Purrington was an integral part of our promotion winning side. Smith is with Arsenal...... 
  • Options
    That is a bit simplistic. This isn't American football. My caveat in giving JJ a chance is that the players like him. That would be important in the coming weeks if we were to turn things round. Also, that he has different ideas to Bowyer, which he could very well do. 

Bowyer was coaching the players under Robinson, but changed the tactics when he took over.
    Football should be simple, there is no guarantee jj does have different ideas and that they would be successful. I’m sure all the players liked les Reed when he took charge, how did that go?. For the record I do know the difference between American football and our football. You can disagree without being patronising.I have no problem with people having a differing opinion. in my opinion it’s a risk promoting a number two, particularly in a struggling side.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    A new manager could do little better with that set of players,  let's be honest about the failings of the players as well.
    Disagree. I'll have a little bet with you that you will see a big improvement under any new manager.
    Totally agree. Problem is its far too late now to have any effect on this season, but at least a new manager will get a good look at the players & some might bust a gut to get a new deal in the summer.

Notice Nigel Pearson got a win in his first game. 5 straight defeats before then for Bristol City. 

But nah.......don't want him. Let's stick to Charlton old boys again. Euell....Jackson.....😴😴😴😴
  • Options
    So many issues around LB's managing and player mistakes; and we play like we are terrified of making mistakes, then, make twice as many. Can't dig ourselves out of the mess. Brutal to watch.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    paulfox said:
    That is a bit simplistic. This isn't American football. My caveat in giving JJ a chance is that the players like him. That would be important in the coming weeks if we were to turn things round. Also, that he has different ideas to Bowyer, which he could very well do. 

Football should be simple, there is no guarantee jj does have different ideas and that they would be successful. I’m sure all the players liked les Reed when he took charge, how did that go?. For the record I do know the difference between American football and our football. You can disagree without being patronising.I have no problem with people having a differing opinion. in my opinion it’s a risk promoting a number two, particularly in a struggling side.
    You may be right. I have caveated that the players would be on board with JJ. It seems pointless giving him a caretaker role if that wasn't the case. I think it is wrong to blame JJ for what looks on the outside to be issues with the manager whilst accepting the possibility. That would be for Roddy and Sandgaard to assess.

Happy to be corrected, but I think Dowie was quite popular with the players and Reed stabbing him in the back was a perception of some of them.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    msomerton said:
    A new manager could do little better with that set of players,  let's be honest about the failings of the players as well.
    Disagree. I'll have a little bet with you that you will see a big improvement under any new manager.
    Totally agree. Problem is its far too late now to have any effect on this season, but at least a new manager will get a good look at the players & some might bust a gut to get a new deal in the summer.

Notice Nigel Pearson got a win in his first game. 5 straight defeats before then for Bristol City. 

But nah.......don't want him. Let's stick to Charlton old boys again. Euell....Jackson.....😴😴😴😴
    Robinson was sacked end of March, we were 9th and 5 points away from play offs.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Let's not forget Jonny Williams - a player I was astonished that we managed to keep on in League One, only to then be sat on the bench half the time and disrespected by being subbed off about 15 mins after coming on because he pulled out of one tackle...
    Oztumer, someone who was in the PFA League 1 teams of the year in 2016/17 and 2017/18
  • Options
    I'm just sad I didn't get to smash the jar of custard again tbh