Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackpool | Sat 27 Feb | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Blackpool
Saturday 27th February 2021 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Brett Huxtable (Devon)

Introduction
Is there something rotten in the state of South East London? - Whatever is going on behind the scenes at Sparrows Lane it feels as though the summer that is approaching will be a pivotal one that we've not seen in a decade. In similar fashion to Chris Powell's opening months in the hotseat, he was given a summer to rebuild which resulted in a historic year and you have to hope that we may see a repeat of that ten years on (regardless of who the manager is) - In the meantime we still have this year to complete, its potentially going to be a rough few months, lets hope with the recent news that this'll be the one full year we have to endure without getting back to the Valley!!

The Opposition
Name: Blackpool (13th) | Manager: Neil Critchley
Ground: Bloomfield Road
Previous Meeting: Blackpool 0-1 Charlton Athletic

These two sides previously met on an October evening, back when everything was rosy and we dreamt of a speedy return to the Championship; Omar Bogle would almost score in the opening salvos, both sides would end up with ten men, and Chuks Aneke would leap off the bench to make it two wins on the trot for the Addicks, the third game they'd gone without reply!!

Things for the Addicks have of course gone a bit south since that night but how has 2020/21 worked out for the Tangerines who themselves have been enjoying a period of bliss in the boardroom - Well for starters they travel to South East London this Saturday off the back of a 1-0 win at Portsmouth in midweek and with four wins (clean sheets in each) out of the last five show that they're a team in form. Its been a year spent largely in midtable but they have four games in hand on most and are another where the table potentially doesnt give a true reflection, wins in each will of course send them into what is becoming a final Play-Off spot being fought over by well over half the division.

So who do we need to keep an eye on this Saturday, well for starters it would be remiss of me if I didnt give Ellis Simms a mention, the highly rated Everton striker joined on loan in January and certainly knows where the goal is having excelled at both U18 and U23 level, two goals to his name (both coming in the same game) for Blackpool highlight a promissing start to his senior career - Jerry Yates is of course the obvious striker to watch out for, with nine to his name this term, yet whilst our opponents do struggle in front of goal they are solid in defence, with 26-goals conceded, only three teams have a better defensive record thus far this season.

Charlton Team News
Well it was a bit confusing on Tuesday night wasnt it, Bowyer understandably got questioned for going with a back five against the leagues bottom side yet it wasnt as crystal clear with the wing-backs often getting forward and Ben Purrington at times our main goal threat, unfortunately this is a team that isnt quick in defence so gets punished. CJ Hamilton (already successful against the Addicks for Mansfield in the FA Cup) will no doubt enjoy the space that we give the opposition at times so it wouldnt be a surprise to see both Akin Famewo and Ian Maatsen in the side this weekend.

Elsewhere and Bowyer naturally tried to change things up front a bit more when we went 2-1 down, Chuks Aneke dropped behind the Strikers, a role he has often played prior to this season, with Jayden Stockley and Ronnie Schwartz the two ahead of him - In a world of ever changing formations and tactics, this could yet be the next experiment that we see come 2pm.

Amos
Gunter | Oshilaja | Famewo | Maatsen
Millar | Pratley | Shinnie
Aneke
Schwartz | Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Harness | Purrington | Pearce | Smith | Jaiyesimi | Morgan | Washington

Prediction
It seem that whilst others start to ramp up their form ahead of a dash for the Play-Offs, its the Addicks who continue to sleep walk their way to an uninspiring finish that'll no doubt end towards mid-table... Its to the surprise of many fans that Lee Bowyer is still in charge which to some begs the mindset that Thomas Sandgaard currently finds himself in, for many defeat against Burton Albion was the last straw and that Bowyer has an impossible task to turn things around. Realistically as both players and as a manager, you're only as good as your last game, for many Tuesday night wasnt good enough, lets have a response!!

Comments

• Blackpool, another team in very good form, just a few points outside the play offs with games in hand, they don't score many and don't concede many. I NEVER predict us losing, however if we win this one  with whatever mish mash out of form, tactically inept side Bowyer puts out, I will be surprised. So Come On Youse Addicks f f s .. this season is not yet a total write off !!

CAFC 1 v Blackpool 1

League One Table - Football - BBC Sport
  • Can only see another defeat im afraid 1-2 and the excuses continue.
  • I predicted 1-2 at Burton and for now I fear a continuation of the disjointed performances, lack of belief, confusing subs and in-game reshuffles and questionable desire.
    1-3
  • 2-1 Charlton. Think we will get back to winning ways.

Would happily take any type of win to just give us some hope that this season isn’t going to collapse terribly.
  • 2-1 Charlton. Think we will get back to winning ways.

Would happily take any type of win to just give us some hope that this season isn’t going to collapse terribly.
    I really hope you are right
  • Another shambles probably.
  • edited February 2021
    Going to await team announcement before deciding whether to watch.

it’s not the money it’s the pain I go through.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-1, Bowyer stumbles on.
  • edited February 2021
    The Opposition
    Amos
    Aneke
    Schwartz | Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Harness | Purrington | Pearce | Smith | Jaiyesimi | Morgan | Washington
    Good preview. I think we'll win 1-0.

I also agree with your team, when Stockley plays, Shinnie plays and visa versa. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Charlton Athletic v Blackpool
    Saturday 27th February 2021 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Brett Huxtable (Devon)

Introduction
    Is there something rotten in the state of South East London? - Whatever is going on behind the scenes at Sparrows Lane it feels as though the summer that is approaching will be a pivotal one that we've not seen in a decade. In similar fashion to Chris Powell's opening months in the hotseat, he was given a summer to rebuild which resulted in a historic year and you have to hope that we may see a repeat of that ten years on (regardless of who the manager is) - In the meantime we still have this year to complete, its potentially going to be a rough few months, lets hope with the recent news that this'll be the one full year we have to endure without getting back to the Valley!!

The Opposition

These two sides previously met on an October evening, back when everything was rosy and we dreamt of a speedy return to the Championship; Omar Bogle would almost score in the opening salvos, both sides would end up with ten men, and Chuks Aneke would leap off the bench to make it two wins on the trot for the Addicks, the third game they'd gone without reply!!

Things for the Addicks have of course gone a bit south since that night but how has 2020/21 worked out for the Tangerines who themselves have been enjoying a period of bliss in the boardroom - Well for starters they travel to South East London this Saturday off the back of a 1-0 win at Portsmouth in midweek and with four wins (clean sheets in each) out of the last five show that they're a team in form. Its been a year spent largely in midtable but they have four games in hand on most and are another where the table potentially doesnt give a true reflection, wins in each will of course send them into what is becoming a final Play-Off spot being fought over by well over half the division.

So who do we need to keep an eye on this Saturday, well for starters it would be remiss of me if I didnt give Ellis Simms a mention, the highly rated Everton striker joined on loan in January and certainly knows where the goal is having excelled at both U18 and U23 level, two goals to his name (both coming in the same game) for Blackpool highlight a promissing start to his senior career - Jerry Yates is of course the obvious striker to watch out for, with nine to his name this term, yet whilst our opponents do struggle in front of goal they are solid in defence, with 26-goals conceded, only three teams have a better defensive record thus far this season.

Charlton Team News
    Well it was a bit confusing on Tuesday night wasnt it, Bowyer understandably got questioned for going with a back five against the leagues bottom side yet it wasnt as crystal clear with the wing-backs often getting forward and Ben Purrington at times our main goal threat, unfortunately this is a team that isnt quick in defence so gets punished. CJ Hamilton (already successful against the Addicks for Mansfield in the FA Cup) will no doubt enjoy the space that we give the opposition at times so it wouldnt be a surprise to see both Akin Famewo and Ian Maatsen in the side this weekend.

Elsewhere and Bowyer naturally tried to change things up front a bit more when we went 2-1 down, Chuks Aneke dropped behind the Strikers, a role he has often played prior to this season, with Jayden Stockley and Ronnie Schwartz the two ahead of him - In a world of ever changing formations and tactics, this could yet be the next experiment that we see come 2pm.

Amos
    Aneke
    Schwartz | Stockley

Prediction
    It seem that whilst others start to ramp up their form ahead of a dash for the Play-Offs, its the Addicks who continue to sleep walk their way to an uninspiring finish that'll no doubt end towards mid-table... Its to the surprise of many fans that Lee Bowyer is still in charge which to some begs the mindset that Thomas Sandgaard currently finds himself in, for many defeat against Burton Albion was the last straw and that Bowyer has an impossible task to turn things around. Realistically as both players and as a manager, you're only as good as your last game, for many Tuesday night wasnt good enough, lets have a response!!
    Good preview. I also think we'll win 1-0.

I also agree with your team, when Stockley plays, Shinnie plays and visa versa. 
    To be honest I've kinda changed my preview approach this week and gone with the sort of team I'd pick

Would really like to see Aneke behind Schwartz and Stockley, given the fact that Chuks can play midfield as well as up top - I'd just be very surprised if Bowyer were to take that stance himself, especially with Millar where he is in my line up
  • I mentioned elsewhere, I would be going with a 4-2-3-1 with the squad we have. Protect the back 4 with 2 more defensive type players/one a deep lying playmaker to break up the play/accurately pass through and then let the 4 in front have a right go. No overlapping centre backs etc, no matter how well Oshilaja did at it. Keep it simple, tight and break them down.

Amos

Gunter     Oshilaja    Famewo   Purrington

Pratley         Smith

DJ                   Shinnie          Millar

Stockley

subs: Harness, Pearce, Maatsen, Morgan, Aneke, Schwartz, Washington 

2-0 win Stockley (shot) and Aneke
  • jake caskey isn't back so we wont scrap a draw.
  • Blackpool will fancy this and I think we are there for the taking. No idea what line up will look like or what system we will play. We are now talking about stopping the home rot rather than going on this great run we thought we were close to. 2-2 I think.
  • DON’T NEED REMINDING NOT TO BUY THE STREAM ANYMORE.....
  • I’m expecting a change of personal and a change of formation(s) and no change of result. 

2-1 defeat 
  • This is the exact kind of game where we mystically pull out a really good performance and win 1-0 or something a side that is in-form, then go right back to being absolutely crap on Tuesday, which would be typical as I'm only ever able to watch the Tuesday games!
  • Sponsored links:

• I mentioned elsewhere, I would be going with a 4-2-3-1 with the squad we have. Protect the back 4 with 2 more defensive type players/one a deep lying playmaker to break up the play/accurately pass through and then let the 4 in front have a right go. No overlapping centre backs etc, no matter how well Oshilaja did at it. Keep it simple, tight and break them down.

Amos

Gunter     Oshilaja    Famewo   Purrington

Pratley         Smith

DJ                   Shinnie          Millar

Stockley

subs: Harness, Pearce, Maatsen, Morgan, Aneke, Schwartz, Washington 

2-0 win Stockley (shot) and Aneke
    Yep I like that formation. Agree 4 2 3 1 suits our surplus of midfielders well. 
  • edited February 2021
    If I were to play any other than FA's formation, I'd stick to 4-4-2

Amos
    Gunter - Oshilaja - Famewo - Purrington
    Shinnie - Watson - Smith - Millar
    Stockley - Aneke

Subs:
    From around 60 mins  
    Watson Off
    Pratley On

Stockley Off
    Schwartz On

Aneke Off
    Washington On

From around 80 mins
    Shinnie Off
    Jaiyesimi On

Smith Off
    Morgan On

• The prediction is simple, Charlton 1 Blackpool 3.
  • LB: “We lost on Tuesday and it was nothing to do with shape or anything else. The second goal was lucky, but we have to maintain the way we start and take it through to 90 minutes.”

If he believes that it must be the same shape again?  Mainly the same players?  If it was right, and worked on Tuesday, must be right on Saturday. 
  • 3-2 to Charlton, we go 3-0 up and they claw back 2 leaving us with a very nervy last 10 minutes.
  • We will either stuff them 5-0 or lose 0-3.

Who knows anymore...

A lot of lifers thought LB would be gone by the weekend (including me) but he's still here and likely to be for the remaining games based on that talk sport interview today. 

Not sure which lifer said it but I agree with them that perhaps TS knows this season is over and is waiting for the right manager to come along?

Even the most hardened optimist would struggle to see Bow pulling the rabbit out of that hat and us going on a run now. 

Its just a bloody shame when the squad is good enough that it can't muster a push in what I think is an absolutely shocking league and ripe for taking.... 

Can't help feeling this is a very big missed opportunity. 

• Another game another tenner, hope remains eternal, 1-0 and supper tastes a bit better.