Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackpool | Sat 27 Feb | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Tomorrow I'm expecting a solid line-up, packed with defensive strength, midfield wizardry, and goals.

I will be very, very surprised if we don't see a Charlton hat-trick.

Yes, it's Scotty, Curbs, and Lisbinho on the Valley Pass coverage :)

• Options
    As for for the side Lord Bowyer puts out or how they will perform ...

I hint got a clue ... but I'd wager it'll be a load of ole squit followed by the inevitable meltdown on the post-match thread.
  • Options
    Form has to change sooner or later......Addicks to win 2-0
  • Options
    Bowyer has confirmed that Famewo will come back in (doubtless for Pearcey) and I hope that Purrington is retained at left back to give us a bit of defensive solidarity. I'd like to see a reversion to 4-4-2, with Smith given a proper opportunity in midfield alongside Shinnie, Millar (wide left) and Pratley. Aneke will surely partner Stockley up front, as they have been by far our most successful combination. 

Football is a relatively simple game and attempts to overcomplicate it rarely end well. What is important is that, when every player goes onto the pitch, they are absolutely clear as to what their job is. The other key aspect is teamwork and building on-field partnerships, although management's performance in that respect this season (even allowing for the injuries) has been lamentable.

I don't think our long wait for a home win will end tomorrow but, as a minimum, I'm hoping that the team will at least deliver a committed and disciplined performance. Confidence is clearly on the floor and the squad is riddled with uncertainty, given the constant tinkering with personnel and formations. The big test will be if and when we concede. I think that will tell us a lot about Bowyer's ability - or otherwise - to effectively manage and motivate these players.

Given that Blackpool's game on Tuesday was postponed, at least Lee has an additional excuse to proffer ("they were fresher than us") if it all goes wrong again.
  • Options
    He's been bloody decent of late but really hope Purrington doesnt start tomorrow

The whole reason he was out of the team for so long was because CJ Hamilton refused to let him out of his pocket since the game up there - I know there is always the argument of play your best team and let the opposition worry rather than the other way around, but Ben isnt great against speedy wingers, by starting him Id be worried about the player opposing him
  • Options
    He's been bloody decent of late but really hope Purrington doesnt start tomorrow

The whole reason he was out of the team for so long was because CJ Hamilton refused to let him out of his pocket since the game up there - I know there is always the argument of play your best team and let the opposition worry rather than the other way around, but Ben isnt great against speedy wingers, by starting him Id be worried about the player opposing him
    I understand, but for me he should stay in IF he is training better than Maatsen and only IF. 
  • Options
    Charlton win, but it's too little too late.

2-0
  • Options
    has to be 5-0 as I'm working and will miss the game having watched all the recent rubbish 
  • Options
    I think we have reached the point where it is getting harder to pick our best side. Normally you know your best team at this point of the season but with the constant chopping and changing or personnel and formations it couldn't be more confusing - especially midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Just want to see early crosses made, that’s one or two passes on edge of their 18 yard box followed by a cross. Do not want to see six or seven passes and have to go back or sideways leading to nothing. This game will be a draw for sure. 
  • Options

Do think that Ben has improved slightly since then. Shown that to now genuinely challange Maatsen where as he was nowhere near before. 
  • Options
    I think we will finally click tomorrow and go on a bit of a run . 2-0 .
  • Options
    Amos
    Gunter Deji Famewo Purrington
    Morgan Pratley Shinnie Millar
    Aneke Stockley

That's my prediction. As I said earlier, it's academy day so they'll want an academy player in the 11, and I can't see Bowyer playing 2 strikers AND 2 wingers against Blackpool
  • Options
    They are a good side and in form. Can only see another defeat. My prediction of 6 points in February now appears over optimistic, just the 4 so far. Starting to look down rather than up now. 6 more points to survive, difficult all the time Bowyer remains in charge.
  • Options
    Amos
    Gunter Deji Famewo Purrington
    Morgan Pratley Shinnie Millar
    Aneke Stockley

That's my prediction. As I said earlier, it's academy day so they'll want an academy player in the 11, and I can't see Bowyer playing 2 strikers AND 2 wingers against Blackpool
    People go on about needless changes yet you left MOM out from Tuesday (Watson) 
  • Options

CJ out injured I believe
  • Options
    As for for the side Lord Bowyer puts out or how they will perform ...

I hint got a clue ... but I'd wager it'll be a load of ole squit followed by the inevitable meltdown on the post-match thread.
    Said like a true Norfolk boy with Charlton connections.
  • Options
    My team would be:

Amos
    Matthews Deji Famewo. Purrington 

Shinnie. Prats. Morgan 

DJ.      Stockley(then Chucks).  Millar 

and I’d stick with it for 5 games.
  • Options
    Oh the surprise on here at 5 o' clock tomorrow!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Saga Lout said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    I’m a little more relaxed for this game. Feel like Burton was the make or break one and we broke. Rest of the season doesn’t quite have the same pressure in my head as I just can’t see us going up or down now.

Let’s go for it and play with freedom and see where it gets us. It does mean, as our central midfield hasn't done too well recently, I would quite like to give Aaron Henry a try. But I don’t believe Bowyer will.
    I think you're right. Maybe it's time to experiment, play some of the youth, see if some new gems can be uncovered?

I am really not sure if the club will see another tenner from me at the weekend or indeed for the rest of the season, they sure don't deserve it.
    Maybe there is a difference between the team that we’ve seen in recent home games deserving it and the club deserving it? 

I agree with you that the team we’ve seen recently don’t, but I do believe the club at the moment do, I think there is a lot of positives happening throughout the club. I do think Covid has made us all emotionally latch onto following our football club more than usual because it’s been one thing we’re allowed to keep doing. Maybe it does take a while for the footballing side to catch up with the business side.

Fully respect any that choose not to pay a tenner while there doesn’t appear much to play for and it’s only on a tv though as it’s a lot of money for not a lot of reward.
    You're right, I'm frustrated by the team, not the club. As you say, lots of positives.

Anyway, I've been overruled in the house, so the club will continue to benefit from my contribution of a tenner per game. I hope to see an improvement on the pitch, now that they know my money is secured for the time being.
  • Options
    Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery. Not sure who said that but it rings true for Charlton.
     Let's just hope LB can unravel the mystery of why our team is not gelling. He has to get it right or any faint hope of clinging to the coat tails of the play-off places will surely disappear.
     It would be nice if once, just once, we score a worldie or a Blackpool defender cocks up to gift us a goal.
     Aneke and Shockley to start and give Blackpool something to think about from the off.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
                  Amos
    Mathews Oshi Famewo Purrington
    DJ  Shinnie.    Smith.     Millar
              Stockley.   Chucks.
  • Options
    I think we will finally click tomorrow and go on a bit of a run . 2-0 .
    Raytreacy69 has been saying exactly that to me for the last 3 months. 

I'm still waiting. 
  • Options
    Amos
    Gunter Oshilaja Famewo Purrington
    DJ Shinnie Morgan Millar
    Stockley Aneke

3-1 defeat as inevitably one of the boring, slow old men (Pratley, Watson) will start as usual
  • Options
    Think we'll play well right up until we concede a goal, then we'll fall apart again. 

1-0 HT Leading to a 1-3 FT. 
  • Options
    Any result is possible. The only thing I'm certain of is that if we win, it will not be a straightforward, comfortable win. And if we do win, that is why a run to the play offs is not possible.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Saga Lout said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    I’m a little more relaxed for this game. Feel like Burton was the make or break one and we broke. Rest of the season doesn’t quite have the same pressure in my head as I just can’t see us going up or down now.

Let’s go for it and play with freedom and see where it gets us. It does mean, as our central midfield hasn't done too well recently, I would quite like to give Aaron Henry a try. But I don’t believe Bowyer will.
    I think you're right. Maybe it's time to experiment, play some of the youth, see if some new gems can be uncovered?

I am really not sure if the club will see another tenner from me at the weekend or indeed for the rest of the season, they sure don't deserve it.
    Maybe there is a difference between the team that we’ve seen in recent home games deserving it and the club deserving it? 

I agree with you that the team we’ve seen recently don’t, but I do believe the club at the moment do, I think there is a lot of positives happening throughout the club. I do think Covid has made us all emotionally latch onto following our football club more than usual because it’s been one thing we’re allowed to keep doing. Maybe it does take a while for the footballing side to catch up with the business side.

Fully respect any that choose not to pay a tenner while there doesn’t appear much to play for and it’s only on a tv though as it’s a lot of money for not a lot of reward.
    You're right, I'm frustrated by the team, not the club. As you say, lots of positives.

Anyway, I've been overruled in the house, so the club will continue to benefit from my contribution of a tenner per game. I hope to see an improvement on the pitch, now that they know my money is secured for the time being.
    Let’s hope we’re rewarded for a change!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Came on here to say I think we'll win this one.......but then read both @ForeverAddickted's and the clubs preview and now think we are f**ked. They are in form & beat Pompey last weekend, whilst we lost to the bottom side on Tuesday night. It was only due to postponement that they are not looking at going above us if they win tomorrow.

My head says a defeat but my knowledge of all that is CAFC says the players will dig Bowyer out of the mire & everyone will think it's all hunky dory again. 

First time I've ever sat on the fence.

3-1 but no idea which side will be going home happy.
  • Options
    Maybe they will be too confident. I think we do so badly at the Valley as teams set out not to lose and we gift them the games. If they come to win it might help us.