Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Blackpool | Sat 27 Feb 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    The road ahead. 

With this season looking like lower mid-table obscurity, I was just thinking, who from this squad of player's under contract might be kept or moved on in the summer. Obviously there are some loans and players out of contract that may be worth keeping on, but there is no guarantee or likelihood of that happening so all of those must be excluded. 

Who is here for next season already and who would you keep?
    Purrington, Forster-Caskey, Morgan, Inniss, Schwartz, Aneke, Maynard-Brewer, Shinnie, Jaiyesimi
  • Options
    We are odds on to beat Wigan on Tuesday, they are 11/4 !
    So, a boring 0-0 it is then
  • Options
    The road ahead. 

With this season looking like lower mid-table obscurity, I was just thinking, who from this squad of player's under contract might be kept or moved on in the summer. Obviously there are some loans and players out of contract that may be worth keeping on, but there is no guarantee or likelihood of that happening so all of those must be excluded. 

Who is here for next season already and who would you keep?
    Purrington, Forster-Caskey, Morgan, Inniss, Schwartz, Aneke, Maynard-Brewer, Shinnie, Jaiyesimi
    It would probably be a good idea to give players a chance this season under a new manager to stake a claim.
  • Options
    It isn't about liking them or not. It is about respecting them. It is the same everywhere, not just in football. I have seen terrible teams at work totally transformed by a good manager. The same people, just well led. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Must be one of the weird aspects of Covid football that people are quick to take any blame away from the players. 

If that game was played in front of our supporters yesterday, they would have absolutely got it in the neck for that lack of effort. Don't tell me otherwise. But since we're not there, the blame shifts elsewhere and it's not their fault they're not trying. 
  • Options
    The steady stream of good academy players seems to have dried up. Is that because there is a current gap in academy players coming through or is Bowyer not trusting them? I ask as I don’t know.
    I believe there will emerge good academy graduates in the near future.
    If we are clearly going nowhere this season I would give them games to gain experience. 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    When Bowyer said “the problem with playing the best 11 is they can’t play Saturday Tuesday, Saturday Tuesday”. After that Curbs said “you need to play your best 11 just to get a result, that’s the most important thing now”.

There is the big difference. We need bloody results.  
    It’s a tough one. 

Can completely see where Curbs is coming from, and I agree that some consistency in a first 11 is needed for success in this league. 

I can also see where Bowyer is coming from as he has managed during a time where we’ve been hit by the worst number of injuries any of us have ever seen. Bowyer is clearly not willing to gamble on any players fitness now. That’s hurting us, but I understand why he’s become so nervous to play players in back to back games, considering we’ve been forced to sign players made of glass for a lot of his managerial career. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I dont buy into the theory that players are not trying. Ok they may be thinking their contracts are up but performances on the pitch are their shop window. This is where they will get their next move. The team is being set up in a 1 dimensional style and is just so easy to play against. Any kind of flair is frowned upon and I get the feeling that LB would be happier if the players just had a mass brawl with the opposition rather than play football.

Not to call Pratley out yesterday was another example of different rules for different players. 

Just look at our loan players and if anyone can say that they have improved since they came here needs to look at themselves. 

Man management is all about motivating people but our Manager imo does not have the skill sets or empathy to be able to do so. 
    If things carry on like this it is only going to get worse. If LB as the manager doesnt think players are putting a shift in then drop them and play some youngsters, it's his call at the end of the day he must stand or fall on those decisions. 
    4 substitutes at halftime is just embarrassing and is only showing a complete lack of direction or understanding of what you set out to achieve at the start of the game. 

If this continues how long until we read about the Sparrows Lane fight when one of these players has had enough and decks LB ?

Enough is enough it needs to end now asap before things get really toxic
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Only seen the goals and reds so not been influenced by what sounded a turgid performance, but the second penalty is a joke and I can’t really see from the angle what Pratley did so wrong considering he’d just been take out. Player reaction got him sent off there. 

Equally Chuks red has a question mark against it, though he’s fairly non bothered reaction tells you just how much some of them are not 100% with us at the moment.

I know there is a shedload wrong at the moment and some people don’t believe there is such thing as luck. But the amount of key decisions, woodwork etc in recent months that haven’t fallen our way is sizeable. 

Must have been a fairly big black cat that Bowyer ran over 

Pratley did a sly palm of hand into matey's face as he tried to get up. Asking for trouble but any clear-thinking manager would have removed him at half-time because he'd been multiple fouling in the 1st half and eventually got a booking. 

On the wider issue of luck...if you are playing well, the "bad luck" normally becomes largely irrelevant as the good play still gets you results. But I agree, we do seem to be going through a weird spell of non-fortune at the moment. 
  • Options
    What Pratley did yesterday was get booked without actually hurting the player. I am not advocating hurting opponents, but why would you risk that second booking on a powder puff gesture like that? It was ridiculously stupid and accurately called by Lisbie before Bowyer came out with his nonsense.

The ref was poor but the first was a penalty. The Pratley sending off was 100% correct. The second penalty was a poor decision and the Aneke sending off was very harsh but we probably won't win an appeal because it was probably a booking so then it becomes an interpretation issue rather than something the referee missed.
  • Options
    I've been in the Bowyer out camp for a while, but just felt sorry for him yesterday. It was embarrassing on so many levels. Credit he started with what should have been a solid side, but it just didn't work. I had no problem with 4 halftime subs either as we desperately needed a spark. Then pratley gets sent off and the game is lost. Didn't even get angry tbh, just given up on this season now.

One thing Bow has spot on is the ref and the assistant were awful. Serriously how do they get away with it? The disallowed goal, both pratleys yellows, the laughable 2nd penalty and chucks' red. All incorrect in my opinion. Blackpool players conned the ref and their reaction to pratleys "foul" got him sent off. Clever of them I suppose, but I'd be fucking embarrassed if one of our players writhed around in agony holding his eyes/nose like that or threw himself up in the air when a defender gets within a yard of him! I've never liked Blackpool and this game has made me dislike them even more tbh
  • Options
    Please walk bowyer and Euell in till end of season had enough of this shit football for weeks now otherwise we may go down with bowyer players are  not going to change for him.
  • Options
    I gave up feeling sorry for Bowyer when he started digging players and fans out. He must now know everything has crumbled around him and if he was anything like the man some people claim he is, he would have walked.

You cannot say the things he said yesterday and continue. He can because he doesn't want to lose the money. 
  • Options
    I don’t think the players are deliberately not performing as they seem to be running around like lost chickens; totally devoid of organisation, tactics and playing with different players each match. Lee said he wants them to relax and play football but for some reason they are not doing it.
    Prateley is just a thug on the pitch. Shame really as he does put in a shift.
    Not sure how Lee can turn this around unless he listens to the likes of Curbs in getting back to basics. Pick a starting 11 and stick with it.
    Best of luck Lee.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When the 2nd half started, I said Pratley would get his 2nd yellow card in the 60th minute, my son said 75 minutes. It was the 47th minute !

The insurance company has said this is a write off season. The nightmare needs to stop. 

A coherent plan is needed on and off the pitch Now. Over to you Thomas Sandgaard.

Good luck.

• Options
    Just going through the What's app conversation with my son at half time leading to players coming out.
    Me: Pratley off and Aneke for Washington.
    Son: Pratley still on.
    Me: Not for Long. Red card soon. 
  • Options
    Has the loss of William affected team spirit in the dressing room? Always seemed popular even if not playing.
  • Options
    Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but reading this part of LB's interview "“There’s players that are coming in. There’s players that will be going. We have to rebuild a team. In the summer it was a bit of a rush, obviously we are under the embargo. In January did we get the ones that we really needed? I think we did okay in both windows but there’s a gap. You’re seeing that now"
    Am I being thick or is he saying he has already lined up players to join in the summer and they have agreed or that he is hoping to bring new players in? If the first option is the case, surely that means TS is keeping LB in situ for at least the start of next season, or he wouldn't have agreed to bring in certain players that a new manager might not want? Or am I reading too much into this?
  • Options
    Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but reading this part of LB's interview "“There’s players that are coming in. There’s players that will be going. We have to rebuild a team. In the summer it was a bit of a rush, obviously we are under the embargo. In January did we get the ones that we really needed? I think we did okay in both windows but there’s a gap. You’re seeing that now"
    Am I being thick or is he saying he has already lined up players to join in the summer and they have agreed or that he is hoping to bring new players in? If the first option is the case, surely that means TS is keeping LB in situ for at least the start of next season, or he wouldn't have agreed to bring in certain players that a new manager might not want? Or am I reading too much into this?
    That’s exactly how I read it too @Redmidland
  • Options
    Just going through the What's app conversation with my son at half time leading to players coming out.
    Me: Pratley off and Aneke for Washington.
    Son: Pratley still on.
    Me: Not for Long. Red card soon. 
    This too. Even the commentary said that Pratley is a risk when on a yellow as he has a stupid/ soft yellow card in him at any time of the game. Lee needs to get a grip if he is going to stay. The players are either not doing what he asks of them because they are incompetent or because they aren't listening. Either way, there is no solution for Lee at this moment in time.

Lee has tried being the tinker man and that didn't work. Tried with his tried and trusted war horses, ,(seasoned pro's), that didn't work. Bought some new players, to dilute the old guard, that didn't work. What else is there that Lee can do?
  • Options
    If it is the case then I suppose we had better get ready for having a team that's likely to finish with a maximum on 10 men on the pitch every game with not a hint of anyone with any flair 
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer has done a great job for this club,getting us into the Championship with Roland still owning the club was a fantastic achievement for which he is justly celebrated. However no football manager can continue on past glories and the time has come for him to depart with dignity.
    As a supporter for more than 60 years I cannot remember football as chaotic and aimless as we are having to endure at present.Unfortunately someone has to pay the price and,as we can’t get rid of all the players m it is the manager who must take the blame.
    I would especially question the recruitment in the latest transfer window,with no pressure and a supportive owner.Only Stockley has improved the team and, I am afraid Gallen  must be held to account.On his performances so far how anything could have signed Ronnie Schwartz is beyond me,how many touches has he actually had.?
    Lee should go now and bring in Curbs and Jason Euell to see out the season,have a good clear out the has beens  and the never beens and bring in anew manager  with clear aims to get us back to where we should be