Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Blackpool | Sat 27 Feb 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I'm honestly surprised people aren't angrier about what Bowyer is saying. I get that people think he's to blame too, and that's fine, but he hasn't become a liar overnight and he's saying that there are a lot of players at this club who just don't care. That's a big problem. Maybe we can bring in a manager to make motivate them, but should we have to? Should we be satisfied with players who can decide that they don't fancy it anymore if they don't like the manager and down tools? We've had teams like that before under Pardew and when Powell came in, and changing the manager didn't fix it because there's a problem at a fundamental level. Contrast Riga's two spells; a Powell team full of desire that lacked a bit of quality, and then a team full of randoms who mostly didn't look like they cared even once. One stayed up and one didn't. I can deal with players not being very good, I can deal with having a manager who isn't up to it, I can deal with poor performances when players are out of their depth, but I really can't stand having players who just shrug their shoulders, don't train as hard as they could and aren't bothered. Football is all most of us have during this lockdown period, the least they can do is care.
    To be fair, he would say that wouldn't he? How about the possibility, that some of us have been trying to say for ages, that he has lost them?
    But then you're saying that he's lying. He's just straight up lying saying that they don't care and they're cutting corners and not trying to improve. I'm perfectly fine with saying that Bowyer isn't a good tactician, changes the line-up too much, criticises players too much publicly, whatever, but it's a bridge too far to say that he's just making stuff up. He may well have 'lost them', but if their response to not liking the manager is that they can't be arsed anymore and they'll serve up performances like this then they don't get a pass, they should be shown the door. You can get in any manager you want, I'm not interested in players who only give a shit about playing for Charlton when it suits then. People shouldn't be blind to that just because they don't like the manager. We can be angry about both things

@Garrymanilow have you never worked for a really bad boss or simply fallen out with one?

Most of us agree that Bowyer ain't going to motivate players with his public comments, so just how bad are his private ones?

As an angry and disgruntled employee, all you want to do is get through your day and hope you can find a better place to work or your boss moves on.

You hate getting up in the morning to face the same old shit again, you can't get out as a footballer because there is no transfer window. You know that you need to perform or another employee won't want you, but you are constantly confused about what you are being asked to do, no chance of developing a working relationship with your colleagues because personnel constantly moves to another department.

If I've got a boss telling the world, I'm a shirker, I don't have any pride in my work, I know I would struggle to find any enthusiasm to go the extra mile. It leads to stressed out employees and poor performances.

When Thomas took over, we all thought that Bowyer had done a great job in the circumstances up til then. I've no idea why Bowyer hasn't moved forward, perhaps it's the change of personnel around him, perhaps he simply wasn't ever that good?

Whatever the reason, it's patently clear, and has been for weeks that there is no coming back from his piss poor management. He ain't going to get the players back now. 

Thomas must realise this and if he isn't currently looking for a replacement then our new owner is a fool. 
    I think you're a little off the mark here. Most people if they get a boss they don't like they look for another job. If I was at work, didn't like my boss so downed tools I may find my days at the job are numbered. Surely logic states a footballers career has a short shelf life therefore if you don't like your boss you would look to move on. What's the best way to do that ? Down tools, play like shit and look like you don't care ? Or put your best foot forward, try your best and get your agent calling other clubs for you ? I may suggest the later.
  • Options
    Bowyers concerns about lack of commitment make it look a strange decision to let Lapslie go and bring in someone like Smith with the money saved. Lapslie had his flaws but effort was certainly never one. I’d rather be watching a midfield of Lapslie and Morgan than Watson and Shinnie right now, even if it might not dramatically change the results. 
    Lapslie took up space in the Salary Cap, Smith did not... there is your answer straight away
    Okay, well replace that with anyone of the other signings taking up salary cap space and contributing minimally on the pitch. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Bowyers concerns about lack of commitment make it look a strange decision to let Lapslie go and bring in someone like Smith with the money saved. Lapslie had his flaws but effort was certainly never one. I’d rather be watching a midfield of Lapslie and Morgan than Watson and Shinnie right now, even if it might not dramatically change the results. 
    Lapslie took up space in the Salary Cap, Smith did not... there is your answer straight away
    Okay, well replace that with anyone of the other signings taking up salary cap space and contributing minimally on the pitch. 
    That I cant argue with, although am sure if we read the comments on the Brighton U21 game then there were no doubt enough saying that they didnt see a future for Lapslie here...
  • Options
    I’m still bowyer in - think a lot of you have very short memories.  

Love the club as much as any but I genuinely just wrote this season off Ipswich Sunderland are as big or bigger than us and struggling. We’ve got a club to support left and that does me. 
    If 22 points from 21 games with this squad in L1 playing some awful clueless football doesn't deserve the sack then I'm not sure what does? I've seen enough. 
    Half of the players at least are lazy c***s that don’t really care - bring a new manager in and we’ll see the same shit a major clear out in the summer needs to happen, they’ve got no discipline and no balls. 
    Another major clear out so Bowyer and fans can blame having a whole new squad as the reason we are underperforming? 
    the fact fans expect us to do well with players like pearce and watson in the sqaud is a joke. 
    So long as Bowyer blames the players some fans will support him - obviously all the other teams we are losing to have fantastic squads.

We've got steadily worse over the season with numerous players underperforming yet none of this apparently has anything to do with the manager. We just happen to be the one team in L1 with poor players that don't care.

Bowyer get us promoted two seasons ago with a strong squad and this apparently means we should stick with him indefinitely regardless of results.

Bowyer selects the players and was also involved in signing a lot of them so presumably has to take responsibility for something?

I do support Bowyer, I think he's done enough for the past 2 seasons working with the shambles that was our last ownership to get a little bit of loyalty from fans to guide us through when things are not going to plan. The fact I support Bowyer has nothing to do with him blaming or not blaming players. 
  • Options
    Perhaps one last throw of the dice for Lee Bowyer.
    There will be changes on Tuesday, so why not give some of our
    youngsters a game. Bring back Albie for a starter and perhaps
    recall Davidson, try Barker and Henry if fit. At least I believe
    they want to play for us. Would leave Famewo, Purrington and Stockley in.
    Pearce will come in as no one else available. Give Swartz 90 mins.
    Not bothered about Pratley, Watson, Washington or Shinnie at the moment
    they offer nothing!
  • Options
    Davison can't come back until the end of this season. 

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I don’t think Bowyer respects the players because he was a league or two above their level (edit: as @ct_addick has said). Perhaps Pratley is the exception, as he sees something of himself in his combativity.
    It’s also odd that whenever an interviewer has praised a player Bowyer always seems to reply ‘we’ve improved him’, which can’t go down well with the players. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m still bowyer in - think a lot of you have very short memories.  

Love the club as much as any but I genuinely just wrote this season off Ipswich Sunderland are as big or bigger than us and struggling. We’ve got a club to support left and that does me. 
    If 22 points from 21 games with this squad in L1 playing some awful clueless football doesn't deserve the sack then I'm not sure what does? I've seen enough. 
    Half of the players at least are lazy c***s that don’t really care - bring a new manager in and we’ll see the same shit a major clear out in the summer needs to happen, they’ve got no discipline and no balls. 
    Another major clear out so Bowyer and fans can blame having a whole new squad as the reason we are underperforming? 
    the fact fans expect us to do well with players like pearce and watson in the sqaud is a joke. 
    We are trying to get promoted from league 1 not win the Champions League. Get real, at this level most clubs have a Pearce Pratley and Watson, based squad. 
  • Options
    It's not difficult.  Get rid of the failing coach and watch the players perform. Happens more times than not.  Give it a go Charlton.
    I agree with what you say but isn't there that tiny voice saying its bound to go fecking wrong when we do it! 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I wish some of the match stats were a bit more precise. 15 decimal places is the bare minimum.

And it looks like we have had 1 shot on target. 
  • Options
    Anyone have an idea about Chuks appeal, could we get a decision before Tuesday?
  • Options
    Anyone have an idea about Chuks appeal, could we get a decision before Tuesday?
    Strictly speaking we don't need a decision before Tuesday, if we lodge the appeal then he should be eligible to play whilst waiting for a decision 
  • Options
    another baffling selection from the crazy world of lee bowyer 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldn't get too excited about it, a pub team would beat us at the Valley at the moment. 
  • Options
    It’s amazing how many candidates we have for a new manager as a 1000 on here seem to be able to do the job. 
    Just a few fewer than thought they were better left backs than Morgan Fox then. 
  • Options
    Blackpool fan here in peace. Firstly, thanks to all you guys who supported us and backed us in the turbulent twisted vile days of the Oyston family ownership. It's massively appreciated and it's good to see you rid of Roland Douchebag. 

Onto the game yesterday. Pool are on a decent run, we only took 7 pts from our first 9 games this season, mostly due to the fact we signed about 20 new players in the summer and they hadn't integrated as a team, but it's looking decent for us of late. 

As for the match, i though the ref was a bit weak. I agree with both red cards, but not the second penalty, it was softer than soft and i think Yates played for it bigtime. As for the Addicks, i felt sorry for you. Blackpool won every second ball, wanted it more, showed more fight and passion, and that shouldn't ever be allowed to happen. If you pull on a shirt, no matter who you play for, you've got to give your all, and some of the performances yesterday by your team were abysmal and i said to my family at full time, if i'd have been a Charlton fan i'd have been disgusted with the lack of effort. 

Expected the kitchen sink in the second half, but 4 changes was a big surprise. Thought your left winger was the best of the bunch, he got into good positions several times. Sorry for the shitty day, good luck with the rest of the season and thanks again from the Seaside. 

An indictment of OUR coaching and management is that we've gone backwards as players become more integrated

Our best run of wins was just after the new players had arrived, we were playing 2 games a week and had little time to train together. The form then got worse over the following weeks

Then we had a tiny boost from the January signings when they first arrived, but as February has progressed, the form has deteriorated
    This season is kind of mirroring last season. A positive start, but then as injuries come along and an ever-changing line up becomes the norm, our form has dropped off a cliff, again. Last season nobody thought we were capable of relegation. As others below went on Man City type runs, the gap became closer and closer. We might be sitting pretty now, but let's just see where this team and Bowyer end up if the status quo remains. 

Embarrassingly we are losing to arguably lesser teams. Maybe ego is the problem at Charlton across the whole set up. We need to be humble as we are being humbled every week. 

The unthinkable can't happen again. Can it?
  • Options
    edited February 2021

A great advert for our Academy Day yesterday.

The only academy representative was Nathan Harness, an untried substitute goalkeeper.

The wisdom of Bowyer's policy of recruiting old men of the likes of Gunter, Watson and Shinnie, and relying on Pratley in the midfield engine room was there for all to see.

Don’t think Nathan joined us till he was 18-19

Edit :2 posts below Scoham points that out 🙄

• Options
    Blackpool fan here in peace. Firstly, thanks to all you guys who supported us and backed us in the turbulent twisted vile days of the Oyston family ownership. It's massively appreciated and it's good to see you rid of Roland Douchebag. 

Onto the game yesterday. Pool are on a decent run, we only took 7 pts from our first 9 games this season, mostly due to the fact we signed about 20 new players in the summer and they hadn't integrated as a team, but it's looking decent for us of late. 

As for the match, i though the ref was a bit weak. I agree with both red cards, but not the second penalty, it was softer than soft and i think Yates played for it bigtime. As for the Addicks, i felt sorry for you. Blackpool won every second ball, wanted it more, showed more fight and passion, and that shouldn't ever be allowed to happen. If you pull on a shirt, no matter who you play for, you've got to give your all, and some of the performances yesterday by your team were abysmal and i said to my family at full time, if i'd have been a Charlton fan i'd have been disgusted with the lack of effort. 

Expected the kitchen sink in the second half, but 4 changes was a big surprise. Thought your left winger was the best of the bunch, he got into good positions several times. Sorry for the shitty day, good luck with the rest of the season and thanks again from the Seaside. 

Hope your right back recovers from Pratleys brutal assault and he regains his sight/starts walking again soon lol

I said earlier, I'd be embarrassed if one of ours did the same as three of yours and the surrounding pack, but hey, maybe we should be more "streetwise"?

On a serious note, you lot have been through a shit time recently,  so good luck to you pal and thanks for posting 
  • Options
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    I still have faith in Bowyer. I think given time he will turn this around. A large portion of the blame lays at the door of the players. There is no way this squad is a top 6 squad IMO. There are a few exceptions Shinnie, Millar, Stockley and Famewo but beyond that we are garbage. Pearce was dog sh#t last year I don't think he's gonna improve any. We lost 12 players in the summer and they were replaced with average signings even by L1 standards. I think Bowyer deserves the chance to rebuild the squad in the summer and have a good crack at getting us promoted next year.
    From league 2?
    We won't get relegated. Honestly, look at someone like Chuks Aneke that everyone on here praises. If you think he's a 20 goal a season man at any level above non league football  I don't know what to tell you. First Touch is abysmal, often has no spatial awareness either, receives the ball and 80% of the time never looks up or around him to see what opportunities are available. Ultimately Bowyer can only work with what he's got. 
    That's abysmal reasoning mate. Chuks has performed well all season and was not given a proper chance previously. He has scored goals wherever he has played. I think you need better supporting evidence for your Bowyer love here. I am gutted Bowyer needs to go but it is what it is.
  • Options
    Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but reading this part of LB's interview "“There’s players that are coming in. There’s players that will be going. We have to rebuild a team. In the summer it was a bit of a rush, obviously we are under the embargo. In January did we get the ones that we really needed? I think we did okay in both windows but there’s a gap. You’re seeing that now"
    Am I being thick or is he saying he has already lined up players to join in the summer and they have agreed or that he is hoping to bring new players in? If the first option is the case, surely that means TS is keeping LB in situ for at least the start of next season, or he wouldn't have agreed to bring in certain players that a new manager might not want? Or am I reading too much into this?
    I don’t doubt there are players that he wants to bring in and those he wants to shift out but nothing can be signed and sealed as yet so nothing is irreversible.