Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    Blimey! 🤔
    Fair play to you Ormiston, you are entitled to your opinion and who knows, you might be right. To put you on the spot, who would have been your choice? 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    felix_31 said:
    People who are underwhelmed - might I ask why? 
    His recent track record isn't all that impressive. He did a good job at Scunthorpe and took Southampton from League One to the Premier League which was incredibly impressive but at the same time have been very well run since for the most part with a never ending stream of managers. IN fact they finished between 6th and 8th each of the 4 full seaoss after he left.
    He didn't pull up trees at any of Reading, Sheffield United or Hull in his short spells at each club. I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons for these but I haven't been following any of those clubs closely so on the surface theres not a huge amount to get excited about in terms of results.
    On the plus side, he has two three promotions from League One under his belt, he seems like a genuinely nice guy and has had his teams playing decent football. I was also very unhappy with the Bowyer appointment at the time, though I quickly changed my mind on that.
    If there is any reason I have this wrong I'd love to be corrected.
  • Options
     One of those appointments where I am not quite sure about, 
    though I welcome him with open arms and wish him well.
    Certainly not going to say I’m disappointed, if nothing else let’s give the fella a chance and show him he’s got our support.
  • Options
    Seems a decent appointment for our current situation.  We were never going to get many of the names mentioned, so we get someone who has been promoted from this division three times.  Any managerial appointment at this level has a level of risk attached but at least Sandgaard has gone for someone with a bit of a track record.
  • Options
    JJ is still young at 38. Being assistant to a Manager who may or may not be as stubborn as the last can help his development to become a Manager soon.
  • Options
    Hope it’s confirmed that JJ is staying and not just, he has a choice ?  Would be a big loss if he makes the decision to join Bowyer. 

As for a Nigel, our current status puts us in a certain place regarding who we could hope to take the job. I personally think we have hit the upper end of who was, available and prepared to come here. Nigel, comes across well and knows the game. Has my support, until he proves otherwise. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    el-pietro said:
    felix_31 said:
    His recent track record isn't all that impressive. He did a good job at Scunthorpe and took Southampton from League One to the Premier League which was incredibly impressive but at the same time have been very well run since for the most part with a never ending stream of managers. IN fact they finished between 6th and 8th each of the 4 full seaoss after he left.
    He didn't pull up trees at any of Reading, Sheffield United or Hull in his short spells at each club. I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons for these but I haven't been following any of those clubs closely so on the surface theres not a huge amount to get excited about in terms of results.
    On the plus side, he has two promotions from League One under his belt, he seems like a genuinely nice guy and has had his teams playing decent football. I was also very unhappy with the Bowyer appointment at the time, though I quickly changed my mind on that.
    Well as you've claimed his recent track record is not impressive, but then go onto say you haven't been following any of those clubs closely and that this opinion is based on results on the surface - which we all know does not tell the full story at all.

I'd urge you to go speak to some Reading or Hull fans at least and see if that changes your opinion. My feeling is it will.
  • Options
    Really happy with this and I think TS has shown himself once again to be pretty shrewed. Getting JJ to stay as assistant to a manager with a proven track record in delivering what he wants in terms of style of football and player development is top draw imo. All those that are saying he failed previously need to look at the circumstances, he walked out of Hull because the owners were twats, that is a feather in his cap as far as I'm concerned. We now have a great owner who hopefully will back the manager and I would rather him be backing this one than out last personally
  • Options
    Happy with that, back room staff stay & all can learn from Nige’s experience, his CV is a good one 
  • Options
    el-pietro said:
    felix_31 said:
    On the plus side, he has two promotions from League One under his belt, he seems like a genuinely nice guy and has had his teams playing decent football. I was also very unhappy with the Bowyer appointment at the time, though I quickly changed my mind on that.
    three. Also at Hull he kept them up when they looked doomed and the following season took them to a 13th place finish without any real backing.  
    Thanks, didn't realise he had taken Scunthorpe up twice. So we can look at his previous clubs and say he did a good to great job with Scunthorpe and Southampton, a good job with Hull, especially considering the circumstances, an ok/mediocre job at Reading (7th in the Championship isn't bad) and a poor job at Sheffield United?

• Options
    It's quite rare for goalkeepers to turn to management, I wonder if he's our first?
    It's quite rare for goalkeepers to turn to management, I wonder if he's our first?
    No, Albert Lindon
    And at least three others
  • Options
    @Addicktion Looks like I owe you an apology. Can be added to the ITK list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought he was treated unfairly at Southampton when he got them to the prem. Seems a nice guy. Let's see if we get the manager bounce Saturday
  • Options
    Crikey I’d completely forgotten about his accent.

😩
    Sounds like DI Neville Parker!
  • Options
    In terms of backroom staff i think the next 10 games will be a kind of trial period for Adkins to see how they work as a unit and if he actually rates Marshall, basey, JJ and if he needs to make changes adjustments or bring anyone in he will in the summer
  • Options
    I'm happy with this signing, he even looks proper Charlton. JJ staying was a no-brainer and is greatly appreciated.

One downside is that he's a Nigel, but you can't have everything.

Welcome..... (sigh) Nigel.
  • Options
    I think this appointment is a good one, although time will obviously tell. He is a good experienced manager and ticks the boxes for what Sandgaard wants.

I feel Adkins being a overly positive personality could be what we need right now rather than Bowyer’s post match moaning and publicly digging out individuals after nearly every loss, it was getting tiresome.

It’ll be interesting to see how our season pans out from here.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Has Adkins managed any of our players before? Gunter?
    Gunter at Reading was runner up in there POTY when they missed out on the play offs on the last day. 

Crikey I’d completely forgotten about his accent.

😩
    Sounds like DI Neville Parker!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Has Adkins managed any of our players before? Gunter?
    Gunter at Reading was runner up in there POTY when they missed out on the play offs on the last day. 
    Adkins will soon realise that Matthews is our best RB anyway. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Gotta say...that is a cracking interview. The guys energy is there and you can see he is genuinely excited to get going. Players are going to love that especially after to work with a miserable Lee Bowyer.

Live in Southampton and they still love him here.

Feeling really positive having watched that. Welcome Nigel and good luck!!
    First thing he needs to do is get someone to clean the windows!