Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Options
    How much mileage can we get out of his name being Nigel?
    How about:

'And even with a Nigel, we're f****** dynamite'
    take a bowyer

• Options
    Welcome
  • Options
    We love them, someone else on here wanted Nigel Clough.
  • Options
    Like his interview, very confident, and he will inspire others ... I can see why he has been successful in the past ... and the continuity is there with JJ's appointment .... allowing Curbs to continue with his great pre/post match role  :)
  • Options
    What kind of muppet owners leave a clause in the contract saying 'you can walk away any time anywhere, no compensation?'. 

Ah, think I've answered my own question.

Anyway, welcome Adkins, he's one for the long term I reckon... another stepping stone on the road to being a sensibly run club.

Apparently he's a nice guy, too, someone said...
  • Options
    Probably Ged Roddy played his part
    Well, he was brought in to help with the long term strategical planning, so you'd expect him to have some input.  Of course if you are hinting at the Reading connection, then apart from them working for the same club at completely different times, there isn't one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021

I think Thomas's only mistake in his tenure so far is the mentioning of getting European football at the valley, of course it's the aim but it's skewed some opinions of this appointment (and probably every appointment until TS sells or we do reach Europe) i'd say it's unlikely Adkins would be the man to take us into the premier league let alone further but this isn't what the appointment is for, Adkins is a building block to get us out of league one, either this year or next and consolidate in the championship and then his job will be reevaluated.

Statements like this are implausible without context. If for example we get promoted and Thomas invests heavily into the squad and then we get promoted again to the prem and further big investment is made there is of course a chance we could make Europe with Adkins.  For example, do you think Wolves got into europe just because of who the manager is or because of the investment and the manager ?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Feel very “m’eh” about this. He could prove to be a perfect fit for what TS is trying to do and a masterstroke, but I do worry he was just the first out of work name in Roddy’s contact list. It’s either happened a bit too fast for there have been serious consideration gone onto who else we might get, or it was already lined up which hints at possible background shenanigans which may have been undermining Bowyer. 

I wanted a young coach with fresh ideas. Adkins isn’t young but maybe he has some fresh ideas. Seems a nice enough fella but something about him is already winding me up a bit. Let’s hope he chats less shit that the last scouser we had in charge. 

To be honest, I treat every new manager with a healthy dose of skepticism - I only care what they do here, so it’s all to prove. I hope he can do it. 100% support and 100% patience from me while he tries to succeed. 

Welcome Nigel and good luck. 
  • Options
    Like others, I wasn't exactly over the moon when his name leaked the other day but I've definitely come round to him since then. His record is as good as anything we could've hoped for considering our position and his track record for good football could be a breath of fresh air. After so many years of football depression though, having the combined positivity of TS and NA around the place is gonna take some getting used to. I'm not sure how prepared I am to smile about Charlton again. Welcome Nigel
  • Options
    surprised he's on twitter. could be a big mistake knowing that like all clubs we have some right fuckwits on there. 

As long as he's liberal with his use of the mute button it shouldn't be that much of a problem :)
  • Options
    As it is now confirmed can I be the first to say:

Go Nads. 
    Do keep up, I posted this joke on page 1.  B)

Can I claim the assist as I said Nads one minute before you added Go  :)
  • Options
    MattF said:
    "Your how old?!?" - top left pic
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had my doubts but on reflection great appointment, good to see JJ is staying, they have got my 100% support
  • Options
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    I’m interested to see if our injury issues improve under different training methods (assuming training methods change)
  • Options
    I don't know if I'm imagining it but isn't Paul Hayes on our academy staff? If so he'd know Adkins very well.
  • Options
    If Driesen don't rate him he gets my vote!

Great appointment.
  • Options
    Probably Ged Roddy played his part
    I wonder if Roddy ever worked with him....

They both worked for Reading but not at the same time
  • Options
    I'm happy with this - I think it's good for all parties. We get someone who knows how to get out of this division which is all we have to worry about for now. Plus we get someone that likes to play attractive football and understands the importance of the youth team set-up. 

JJ gets to learn from an experienced manager which can only help with his development and make him a better candidate for the top job in the future.

For all of those that are underwhelmed - I don't know what you're expecting!? We're a League One club, we've spent more time in League One than any other division in recent years.