Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Options
    Nigel Benn, Nigel Worthington, Nigel Mansell and Nigel Adkins.

Some top Nigel's.

Just as well we didn't go for Wally Downs.

• Options
    Monty Don's dog was called Nigel.
  • Options
    Theres a clue in my user name
    Cheers Dash
  • Options
    Yeah, plain as u can see ain't it Rodney
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    One thing I worry about with Jacko is what’s in his contract? Thomas had no choice in Lee resigning due to his poorly written contract. The same could happen with JJ?
    Unless JJ finds he can’t work with Adkins which I think is unlikely, then the only scenario I can see where JJ leaves is either the sack. Even more unlikely or him getting the managers job elsewhere in which case as sad as that might be for us I’m certain that we’d all wish him well. Not sure how much compo you’d expect for an assistant manager anyway. Everyone has the right to resign regardless.
  • Options
    'King Bingo!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Haven't read the whole thread, but smirking at the amount of people saying they were underwhelmed by Adkins, "but then I did some research".
    LOL. What are you, a fecking librarian?
    Like nobody was aware of Adkins career path, having lived in a bubble for the last 10+ years.
    I am reading those posts as "had an impulsive OTT negative reaction because I expected "the one", but having read the rest of this thread I feel a bit of a tit and changed my mind"  ;)
    Anyway, welcome Nigel, I am excited foe the first time for months and wish you all the best.
    Best wishes from a tit that changed his mind.  :)

Oh well done.  Enjoy your smirk.

applause from Reaction Gifs
  • Options
    It's quite rare for goalkeepers to turn to management, I wonder if he's our first?
    We had a goalie who made a bid to be our manager, once upon a time. 
  • Options
    I am very sceptical about 5 year plans, even 3 year plans. Of course you have to have long term elements to plans relating to youth development and growing the club, but every plan has to be a one season one. Things happen in football and we can't plan for the season after next until we know how next season pans out as how it pans out affects what you do. 

To be fair, we don't know how this season will pan out. I'm sure the plan will be very different if we get promoted.
    I know what you mean about being sceptical, but the reality is that, using the old cliche, "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail".  I'm sure there will have to be a degree of flexibility, built in to them - Plan B if you like, but if there aren't targets, hopes, and aspirations that form a plan, then what's the point of our football club?

We now have an owner who has a plan, is willing to spend his money carefully on the calculated risks that are the game of football with an aim of not just reaching the Prem but staying there. Such a different place to August and early September last year when we thought that we were quite seriously headed for administration and, very likely, for non-existence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Must admit to initially feeling underwhelmed, but after listening to his interview with Olly I feel more positive. Welcome Nigel
  • Options
    Imagine if we got a surprise qualification to and win in the play offs (against mackems obvs) ... tommy can put in some monies in the summer and rockkkkkket straight up to the prem. easy! 
  • Options
    ‘And NOW we got the nigel!.. 
    o way o way o wayyyyy’ 
  • Options
    Everyone is of course entitled to their opinions, it just saddens me somewhat when much of them appear to be not based upon on any individual research.

I honestly can't see how you can spend some time reading into Adkins career, his achievements, his ethos, and come to the conclusion that it's appointment which is so bad it makes you angry.

Is there any guarantee he will do well at Charlton. Of course not. But past Wilder and maybe Howe honestly who else that was available do you think would pretty much guarantee success?

The main thing is that him and the owner are on the same page, and we have a manger who has a fantastic record in this league and is one that barely any fans of his previous clubs have a bad word to say about.
    I think a lot of people wanted Curbs or JJ and wouldn't have been happy with anyone else.
    All while moaning he's been out of work for 2 years. 
  • Options
    Haven't read the whole thread, but smirking at the amount of people saying they were underwhelmed by Adkins, "but then I did some research".
    LOL. What are you, a fecking librarian?
    Like nobody was aware of Adkins career path, having lived in a bubble for the last 10+ years.
    I am reading those posts as "had an impulsive OTT negative reaction because I expected "the one", but having read the rest of this thread I feel a bit of a tit and changed my mind"  ;)
    Anyway, welcome Nigel, I am excited foe the first time for months and wish you all the best.
    Best wishes from a tit that changed his mind.  :)
    An attitude that is indicative of all that is wrong with the modern world, where people who actively make an effort to educated themselves and improve their knowledge are somehow looked down upon.
    I think that's slight over egging the academic exercise of googling Nigel Adkins and reading his Wikipedia page  ;)
  • Options
    Very pleased with that. 
  • Options
    Nice one Ash ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sandgaard admitted he's been looking at managers a while. He'd have been silly not to given our season. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    KBslittlesis said:
    Boss, welcome Boss.
    Can’t say it, won’t say it, never.

And JJ stays................well that’s kept my Fanny happy 😎
    My other half said JJ should have gotten the job because he's so handsome 
  • Options
    Ado and Jacko is acceptable, we can't taint Johnny by using the name Nigel in the same sentence. 
  • Options
    Didnt they say there doing a live zoom conferance at 3pm ?! 
  • Options
    Yep.
  • Options
    siblers said:
    KBslittlesis said:
    Boss, welcome Boss.
    Can’t say it, won’t say it, never.

And JJ stays................well that’s kept my Fanny happy 😎
    My other half said JJ should have gotten the job because he's so handsome 
    And the problem there is? 🤔
  • Options
    Yep.
    Havent seen any links or club pushing it so take it they will upload later!?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    It's quite rare for goalkeepers to turn to management, I wonder if he's our first?
    We had a goalie who made a bid to be our manager, once upon a time. 
    Yeah, Ben Roberts.  We should have stuck with him instead of appointing Guy Luzon. 
  • Options
    Well happy with this appointment. Proven track record in L1, champs and even premier league. I've not felt this optimistic about a managerial appointment since Powell arrived.