Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

1484950515254»

Comments

• Options
    When I saw this bumped I was fully expecting to see he had been sacked.
  • Options
    It will be a walk in the Prenton Park for Nigel to keep Tranmere in League 2.
    Apparently Tranmere's Technical director had the final vote at the interview 🤔
  • Options
    Take a daily walk, smile lots and you will avoid relegation lads.
  • Options
    Looking at their social media they are pleased with his appointment.
  • Options
    Never understood Adkins, growing up I thought he was an absolutely phenomenal manager with what he did at Southampton. 

Nothing since really... Wonder what makes someone go from being that good to that mediocre
  • Options
    Is he still doing his morning walks and posting them?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Huskaris said:
    Never understood Adkins, growing up I thought he was an absolutely phenomenal manager with what he did at Southampton. 

Nothing since really... Wonder what makes someone go from being that good to that mediocre
    I have a working theory that most managers don't progress after their first taste of sustained success. The fact that it rhymes is a coincidence. 

The Southampton team that Adkins took up the divisions were full of talent that ended up playing above L1/Championship. He set them up well, they were good, and then they upgraded on him as soon as they felt they could. And it doesn't feel like he's changed much in the last decade. Set teams up solidly, keep the ball a bit and hit teams on the counter, that sort of thing. He's failed pretty much everywhere since with maybe the exception of Hull where he did alright when the club were in a bit of turmoil. 

• Options

The November nominations for the Sky Bet League Two Manager of the Month Award are:

Nigel Adkins (Tranmere Rovers)

Taking the manager role on a permanent basis, Adkins used his experience and knowledge of the club to simplify tactics, introduce players from within and restore hope at Prenton Park. The result was eight points from four unbeaten games.

Lee Bell (Crewe Alexandra)

Bell’s quiet revolution at Crewe continues to bring through young players in the club tradition, produce results and keep the Alex in the League Two play-off positions. His side collected seven points from their three November fixtures. 

Pete Wild (Barrow)

Wild has galvanised not just an entire football club, but a whole town with the spirit and camaraderie he inspires. His side had a perfect November, winning all four games as they equalled a club record EFL winning run stretching back to 1967.

Mike Williamson (Milton Keynes Dons)

Having inherited a side in freefall, Williamson has restored a pleasing passing style at Stadium MK with results now beginning to follow. Three unbeaten games produced five points and allowed the Dons to climb back into the top half.

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/december/05/sky-bet-league-two-manager-and-player-of-the-month--november-nominees/

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:

Think he got a bit lucky with Southampton - turned up and they had about 5 future top team internationals in a L1 squad, Lallana, Lambert, Oxlade Chamberlain, Fonte, Schneiderlin.

That said, I still think about 3/4 of the managers out there are probably decent, not amazing but will do well if the club is doing well and badly if they're a mess like us.

Adkins did well at 3 or 4 clubs, badly at a other 3 or 4.  He's alright as a manager.
    You could say that about any "decent manager".  Surely you need good players to have some success.
  • Options
    Prior to being appointed, Tranmere had picked up 10 points from 16 games (0.63 points per game) and looked certainties to go down. Since then they have picked up 20 points from 9 matches (2.22 points per game) and are now 13 points above the drop zone.

• Options
    The sun is shining and the birds are singing
  • Options
    Worth a punt ?
  • Options
    Another great win for Tranmere on NYD, 4-2 over Notts County and now only 6 points off the playoffs.

Adkins got a red card after saying something to the ref, who asked him to walk...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Looking at our lineup for Lincoln away under Adkins, I'm really convinced he was stiffed the worst of all our managers when it came to personnel. We had that lovely little run at the end of the season, then he was foisted with a barrage of absolute nonsense. The one who wasn't nonsense (Dobson) he managed to convince himself was too, doubtless given how awful the rest were. I don't even really blame Sandgaard; money was exchanged, it's just that the scouting was a trashfire. Okay, Sandgaard using his own son to do the scouting was probably suboptimal. Aaaaargh
    Summed up by Sandgaard telling us Kirk was going to be even better than Millar.

“He’s going to be a strong asset for us on the left wing and create even more chances. We know from his history that he has the ability to score goals. What we had last season in Liam Millar we now have Charlie Kirk, who I think is an even bigger talent.”

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/thomas-sandgaard-outlines-charlton-athletic-transfer-plans-and-backs-big-talent-charlie-kirk
  • Options
    Hard to take him seriously for some reason

• Options
    Screwed by Sandgaard and had a worse squad than the one we have this season. 
  • Options
    Haven’t thought about the Adkins era for a while. Still to this day thought we should have gone straight to Jackson after Bowyer left. Felt the decision to then keep him as assistant undermined Adkins a lot, because you knew it wouldn’t take long for the fans to want Jackson in the job. Remember calls for Jackson to be in charge about 7 or 8 matches before he eventually got the sack. 
  • Options
    Haven’t thought about the Adkins era for a while. Still to this day thought we should have gone straight to Jackson after Bowyer left. Felt the decision to then keep him as assistant undermined Adkins a lot, because you knew it wouldn’t take long for the fans to want Jackson in the job. Remember calls for Jackson to be in charge about 7 or 8 matches before he eventually got the sack. 
    That alsonsuggestsbthatbadkins should have been sacked 7 or 8 games earlier
  • Options
    Still think he would make a good primary school teacher, could even get promoted to headmaster. 
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Still think he would make a good primary school teacher, could even get promoted to headmaster. 

Why has Stockley been dropped?