Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Get the joke but Adkins is not looking quite such an imbecile now is he?

Looks more like he was stitched up during the summer recruitment process and not allowed to choose his own players or his own backroom team. TS and and son meddled in every detail and him left to sort out the mess on the pitch. 

His facial expression looked a bit like Jackson's now - betrayed and bemused. 

Having said that we will probably re-sign him on a four year contract.

Probably all true, but playing Watson over Dobson proves Adkins was a terrible manager IMO.
    More like Adkins rebelled because it wasn't  his choice.  However it now appears that apart from Stockley not many were. By the way Watson wasn't chosen early over Dobson, only after Dobson's early form was cack.
    Dobson’s early form wasn’t CACT. He was still one of the better performers in a very poor performing and saddled with settling in Clare and the liability that was Albie at the time 
    Clare and Morgan in the same midfield - the stuff dreams are made of. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Both managers should have got more out of this squad. There's a lot of deadwood, but to capitulate the way we did at home to Bolton, and again yesterday, isn't just on the players
    You can’t polish a turd.
  • Options
    Also let down by the players. How did they suddenly go from not knowing how to play to beating Sunderland away.  They must have had the ability to do that.  They need to take a look at themselves.
    I don’t think that’s necessarily fair. They put a lot of effort in every single game, it’s not as if they downed tools at any point to get rid of the manager. 

I just don’t think Adkins, or his tactics, was a great fit for the squad. As nice as he was, I know I wouldn’t want to be managed by someone like Adkins. 

Some people are born leaders and others aren’t -Jackson is a natural leader of men. Adkins came across as he read self-help books on leadership and management.
    I'd give them the benefit of the doubt if it wasn't the second time they've done it a year. 
    Third now. Identify the culprits and get rid.
  • Options
    Also let down by the players. How did they suddenly go from not knowing how to play to beating Sunderland away.  They must have had the ability to do that.  They need to take a look at themselves.
    I don’t think that’s necessarily fair. They put a lot of effort in every single game, it’s not as if they downed tools at any point to get rid of the manager. 

I just don’t think Adkins, or his tactics, was a great fit for the squad. As nice as he was, I know I wouldn’t want to be managed by someone like Adkins. 

Some people are born leaders and others aren’t -Jackson is a natural leader of men. Adkins came across as he read self-help books on leadership and management.
    I'd give them the benefit of the doubt if it wasn't the second time they've done it a year. 
    Third now. Identify the culprits and get rid.
    Who has been here through all of it? Only a couple of players that I think could be responsible. 
  • Options
    Gunter and Matthews, the Welsh contingent…
  • Options
    Ok , so we know data is used to recruit players, do we look at data of teams that have been successful , and try to emulate / beat them?
  • Options
    Under SCP, in our record breaking season in 2011-12, the starting XI  for our opening game against Bournemouth on 6th August was:

Elliott
    Solly
    Taylor
    Morrison
    Wiggins
    Wagstaff
    Hollands
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Hayes
    Wright-Phillips

The side we put out for our final game, some nine months later, on 5th May against Hartlepool was (League appearances for the season in brackets):

Hamer (41)
    Solly (44)
    Taylor (41)
    Morrison (45)
    Wiggins (45)
    Wagstaff (34)
    Hollands (43)
    Stephens (30)
    Jackson (36)
    Kermorgant (36)
    Wright-Phillips (42)

The two players in bold in each of those teams were the only changes - Hamer came in to the side on the 23rd August and Kermogant did likewise on 24th September. 

No less than seven of that final XI were not with us the previous season and the likes of Green, Haynes, Cort, Pritchard, Euell, N'Guessan, Russell, Clarke, Cook, Evina and Ephraim were signed either before or during the course of the season - that's 18 new players in total.

Success was based on five things:

(1) Identifying the right signings early
    (2) Signing as many of those as soon as possible so that they could be integrated into a team pattern during pre-season
    (3) Consistency of selection 
    (4) Minimal injuries
    (5) Having back up players that would not materially weaken the best XI when they had to be called upon

For the opening game of this season we were not in a position to satisfy any of those requirements. Who is to blame for that is open to debate but I bet that Adkins wasn't responsible for many of them.

(6) - Signing a certain type of player, hungry players that wanted something to prove, no egos, no wasters/paychecks.
  • Options
    Ok , so we know data is used to recruit players, do we look at data of teams that have been successful , and try to emulate / beat them?
    yes, and in my opinion this is where it goes wrong because you can't emulate a feeling within a squad and team spirit. The reason why that team under Powell was so successful was the spirit in the camp as well as the ability on the pitch, likewise the spirit in the camp under Bowyer when we won the playoffs. 

Look at Kirk for example, on paper and in data he is mustard, but we signed him at a time when he was going through the emotional turmoil of losing a parent, and he upped sticks and left a club he had spent his whole career at, in an area incredibly local to him, to move to the Big Smoke to a team with a tonne of pressure to perform, and lo and behold it didn't work out. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Both managers should have got more out of this squad. There's a lot of deadwood, but to capitulate the way we did at home to Bolton, and again yesterday, isn't just on the players
    You can’t polish a turd.
    we're16th in League One. I know it's fashionable to say the players are all shit (they're certainly performing as such), but 16th is underperforming whichever way you look at it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    You can’t polish a turd.
    we're16th in League One. I know it's fashionable to say the players are all shit (they're certainly performing as such), but 16th is underperforming whichever way you look at it.
    This. We're underperforming in all areas from managerial decisions and tactical nous, to basic individual errors on the pitch (or worse just not showing up despite being out there). 
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    Under SCP, in our record breaking season in 2011-12, the starting XI  for our opening game against Bournemouth on 6th August was:

Elliott
    Solly
    Taylor
    Morrison
    Wiggins
    Wagstaff
    Hollands
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Hayes
    Wright-Phillips

The side we put out for our final game, some nine months later, on 5th May against Hartlepool was (League appearances for the season in brackets):

Hamer (41)
    Solly (44)
    Taylor (41)
    Morrison (45)
    Wiggins (45)
    Wagstaff (34)
    Hollands (43)
    Stephens (30)
    Jackson (36)
    Kermorgant (36)
    Wright-Phillips (42)

The two players in bold in each of those teams were the only changes - Hamer came in to the side on the 23rd August and Kermogant did likewise on 24th September. 

No less than seven of that final XI were not with us the previous season and the likes of Green, Haynes, Cort, Pritchard, Euell, N'Guessan, Russell, Clarke, Cook, Evina and Ephraim were signed either before or during the course of the season - that's 18 new players in total.

Success was based on five things:

(1) Identifying the right signings early
    (2) Signing as many of those as soon as possible so that they could be integrated into a team pattern during pre-season
    (3) Consistency of selection 
    (4) Minimal injuries
    (5) Having back up players that would not materially weaken the best XI when they had to be called upon

For the opening game of this season we were not in a position to satisfy any of those requirements. Who is to blame for that is open to debate but I bet that Adkins wasn't responsible for many of them.

(6) - Signing a certain type of player, hungry players that wanted something to prove, no egos, no wasters/paychecks.
    How do you know which one is a Gunter and which one is a Hughes?

Watson, for example, legs have certainly gone but Bowyer, Adkins and Jackson (he was almost always on the bench and adding things from the touch line) "like" him.

• Options

Looks more like he was stitched up during the summer recruitment process and not allowed to choose his own players or his own backroom team. TS and and son meddled in every detail and him left to sort out the mess on the pitch. 

Adkins had his full squad bar Inniss and Gilbey and the football was horrific .  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Depends what you mean by "his". If the signing of Kirk was anything to go by, it would appear that he wasn't "his" and there were probably many others too. A lot of those signings were also not made until the season was well under way. Our bench for the first game was Harness, Pearce, Elerewe, Watson, Davison, Ghandour and Clayden - four of those haven't started a single league game for us this season and another has gone out on loan because he isn't good enough at this level (Davison). The likes of Aneke and Fraser were also signed after Adkins departed too.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that Adkins wasn't responsible to some degree for what went on under his management. But he was hardly given the right tools at the right time as indicated above by me in the record breaking 2011-12 season.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Depends what you mean by "his". If the signing of Kirk was anything to go by, it would appear that he wasn't "his" and there were probably many others too. A lot of those signings were also not made until the season was well under way. Our bench for the first game was Harness, Pearce, Elerewe, Watson, Davison, Ghandour and Clayden - four of those haven't started a single league game for us this season and another has gone out on loan because he isn't good enough at this level (Davison). The likes of Aneke and Fraser were also signed after Adkins departed too.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that Adkins wasn't responsible to some degree for what went on under his management. But he was hardly given the right tools at the right time as indicated above by me in the record breaking 2011-12 season.
    Ok.  He had A full squad available - a squad that Jacko did well with until recently .  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    I wonder how many managers we will have by the time his contract runs out? 
    Probably one, as usual.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That may well be a very shrewd appointment.  Can't quite do it as a manager but maybe TD suits his skillset
  • Options
    Does the sun shine and the birds sing up there?
  • Options
    WHAddick said:
    That may well be a very shrewd appointment.  Can't quite do it as a manager but maybe TD suits his skillset
    Reflecting back on the match (vs Oxford I think) at The Valley, when Gobinson changed formation, and Adkins stood9n the touch line clueless what to do, and Stockley ran over and screamed at him ‘do something, change something’ and Adkins looked bemused, I think Adkins and modern football are not a marriage made in heaven……
  • Options
    All management bullshit bingo and no end product

He did a great job at Southampton but one of the worst managers in my time, and we’ve had a few

15 years behind the times 

• Options
    Scoham said:

Nigel Adkins has gone home to Birkenhead to work. 
    I wonder if he still had a property up there ?
    I can't see him moving away from Hants where he can have some lovely walks.

Won 9 and lost 10. Nigel came across discombobulated in the last couple of Zoom calls I heard him do when at the dysfunctional Cafc which has stalled many a career on and off the pitch.
    At 58 this should be a good appointment for Nadkins and Tranmere. 
    Working with the Liverpool born Mark Palios who played 350 games for the likes of Tranmere, Crewe and finished at Southport while being a Chartered accountant !
    Interesting CV for Palios in football administration and ex CEO at the FA.

In League 2 I would imagine everyone will be trying to catch Wrexham if the Wales team bring in some more players who drop divisions to play for them for the financial package and ride that wave.
  • Options
    Keep up, that's 4 days old ;)
  • Options
    Its funny I was watching the last league 2 games of the season and Tranmere were on TV and they cut to a shot of Adkins and the commentator said Nigel Adkins newly appointed Technical director at Tranmere, in his time at Scunthorpe got them promoted to the Championship and had back to to back promotions with Southampton 

And I was sat there thinking why are you talking about a jobs he had 10-15 years ago and failing to mention his most recent job which was a failure
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Tranmere Rovers have appointed interim boss Nigel Adkins their permanent manager on a two-and-a-half-year deal.
  • Options
    He's won 2 in 9 - not quite as bad as us appointing Parkinson after 0 wins in 8, but not exactly inspiring.
  • Options
    Bit strange with them being 2nd from bottom