Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Options
    Poor old Nigel, I bet he’s regretting not taking a break in the summer.
  • Options
    The last two years xG has done a better job predicting our eventually finish than our early record. Let’s hope it works again. Right now no other club in L1 is underperforming xG more than us. Hopefully Nigel turns it around.

• Options
    The bit that is confusing me is that the same manager played the same system last season (the part he was in charge for at least) and got much better results and performances with a weaker squad.

I'm glad that he's acknowledging that things really do need to change but as much as I like him on a personal level I do start to wonder what he's going to do to turn it around.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    The bit that is confusing me is that the same manager played the same system last season (the part he was in charge for at least) and got much better results and performances with a weaker squad.

I'm glad that he's acknowledging that things really do need to change but as much as I like him on a personal level I do start to wonder what he's going to do to turn it around.
    I am still not convinced we are stronger than last season, still to be proved in my opinion and of course we have not replaced the 15 goal striker we sold.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Confused me too.
    Perhaps the players who have left were the difference between then and now?
    I think the lack of a pre-season for the full squad, plus international absences and injuries have conspired to continue the poor run of form.
    Crewe was not representative of the current collective ability of the squad...

• Options
    thenewbie said:

Two words: Alex Gilbey
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Two words: Alex Gilbey
    And/or Jake Forster-Caskey I suppose. Still I guess it means that we weren't as reliant on Stockley as we thought we were!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Millar was underrated here, Curbs liked him which is good enough for me.

Plus we're missing Gilbey, JFC, Maatsen and/or Purrington, Aneke off the bench, and for certain games Darren Pratley

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56960305

According to the BBC, when we beat Hull on the final day of the season, we played 442 with Morgan and Watson in midfield, Millar on the left and Gilbey on the right of midfield, with Stockley and Washington up front, and Maatsen LB. I still think that sort of Curbs/Powell set up, with only one actual winger works well.

• Options
    thenewbie said:

I am still not convinced we are stronger than last season, still to be proved in my opinion and of course we have not replaced the 15 goal striker we sold.
    We didn't sell him.

• Options
    NM18 said:
    Completely UNDERWHELMED. Nice guys aren't winners.
  • Options
    I got abuse fro posting this.....well what position are we in now??? 
  • Options
    I'm not sure a crack team of Mr Motivator with Tony Robbins as his assistant could get a tune out of the absolute wastemen we've brought in over the past few years. But we may as well try.
  • Options
    NM18 said:
    NM18 said:
    Completely UNDERWHELMED. Nice guys aren't winners.
    That's also because we went on to win 5 draw 4 and lose 1 of his first 10 in charge. 

Something isn't right this season, that's clear but I don't think Adkins is the main issue.
  • Options
    Think a lot of people were underwhelmed when his name got mentioned

Only when he got confirmed, a lot of us decided to just get behind him
    I said I didn’t want him, and that applied to similar managerial merry-go-round appointments.

He came in and after reading more about his career it seemed a positive appointment. He had bad owners at Hull and limited resources at Reading, while Sheff Utd took years to find the right manager. His personality seemed to fit with TS.

What’s been so disappointing this season is there’s no sign of a style of play. It doesn’t look like it’ll click into place, we’re just not good enough across every aspect of our game.

It looks like he’s relying on good footballers working it out themselves. Makes me think that’s really what he did at Southampton, great achievement but with some players who went on to do well in the Prem. His comment about never telling Kirk how he should play adds to that idea.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Think a lot of people were underwhelmed when his name got mentioned

Only when he got confirmed, a lot of us decided to just get behind him
    I said I didn’t want him, and that applied to similar managerial merry-go-round appointments.

He came in and after reading more about his career it seemed a positive appointment. He had bad owners at Hull and limited resources at Reading, while Sheff Utd took years to find the right manager. His personality seemed to fit with TS.

What’s been so disappointing this season is there’s no sign of a style of play. It doesn’t look like it’ll click into place, we’re just not good enough across every aspect of our game.

It looks like he’s relying on good footballers working it out themselves. Makes me think that’s really what he did at Southampton, great achievement but with some players who went on to do well in the Prem. His comment about never telling Kirk how he should play adds to that idea.
    I agree with all the above. I have a problem with a manager not telling signings how to play.

"Just keep doing what you're doing" doesn't work. But I think that's probably oversimplification from Kirk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When I opened up this thread today I was looking forward to the latest "everything in the garden is rosey" video...well that didn't happen did it, so, how's the train journey this morning Nige, come on we are all here, looking forward to Gillingham tomorrow are we!!..... B)
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Thought i'd bump this one again for the sheer hell of it.....I was just was wondering if Nige has any winter wear, or if he really does only go out when the sun is shinning and the birds are singing ;) ..things are staring to show small shoots of improvement on the pitch, so get ya coat on Nige, we all miss you really.. B)
  • Options
    slow news day?
  • Options
    At least Nigel isn’t in the group of ex Charlton managers, that includes Robinson, Pardew & Dowie.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    My most disliked managers of all time are Dowie the Donut and Pardew the Prick. Slade the Slaphead should be in there too..

Robinson wasn't nearly as bad as he's made out, he was just very inflexible. 
  • Options
    Fair play to Nige and his message of support, shame it didn't quite work out, wish him well for the future.. B)
  • Options
    A classy response from a decent human being. It didn't work out and he has to take some responsibility for that. The one thing that he never sought to do is to blame or even infer others might take some responsibility for our woeful start to the season too. From those responsible for the recruitment through to the players themselves. 
  • Options
    Never in doubt that he is an absolute gentleman and totally nice guy. Just not very good at football management.