Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Options
    Decision is done, let's get behind him and see where things go.  He seems a decent guy with a decent record and could be just what we need. Onwards and upwards.  If we get to the play-offs that a plus; if we don't then next season with some of his signings will be what we judge him on. 
  • Options
    Happy with this appointment, a good fit for all concerned.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:
    el-pietro said:
    felix_31 said:
    People who are underwhelmed - might I ask why? 
    His recent track record isn't all that impressive. He did a good job at Scunthorpe and took Southampton from League One to the Premier League which was incredibly impressive but at the same time have been very well run since for the most part with a never ending stream of managers. IN fact they finished between 6th and 8th each of the 4 full seaoss after he left.
    He didn't pull up trees at any of Reading, Sheffield United or Hull in his short spells at each club. I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons for these but I haven't been following any of those clubs closely so on the surface theres not a huge amount to get excited about in terms of results.
    On the plus side, he has two promotions from League One under his belt, he seems like a genuinely nice guy and has had his teams playing decent football. I was also very unhappy with the Bowyer appointment at the time, though I quickly changed my mind on that.
    If there is any reason I have this wrong I'd love to be corrected.
    three. Also at Hull he kept them up when they looked doomed and the following season took them to a 13th place finish without any real backing.  
    Thanks, didn't realise he had taken Scunthorpe up twice. So we can look at his previous clubs and say he did a good to great job with Scunthorpe and Southampton, a good job with Hull, especially considering the circumstances, an ok/mediocre job at Reading (7th in the Championship isn't bad) and a poor job at Sheffield United?

Thats fair enough. But not every manager will have success at every club he works at, bar Pep who has had the silver spoon of every top job handed to him. 

I believe he is a good fit for what we need. 

• Options
    I was negative when his name was mentioned initially but I’m willing to give him a chance and think it’s a good appointment. Let’s hope his time here is more Southampton than Sheffield United. 
  • Options
    For those who are underwhelmed by this appointment, who would you have wanted?

Cowley and his long ball tactics?
    Jackson with no experience?
    Wilder/Howe who would never come here in a million years?
    Well I wanted George Graham, but didn’t dare put it on here as he is ex Scumwall 
  • Options
    Wouldn’t have been my choice but I’ll get behind him . Good luck Mr Adkins 

Photos of Kenneth Williams must of appeared more than anyone else either football related or not. What a face of many expressions. Makes me laugh every time I see him. Nigel who ? Oh sorry :D:D:D
  • Options
    el-pietro said:
    felix_31 said:
    His recent track record isn't all that impressive. He did a good job at Scunthorpe and took Southampton from League One to the Premier League which was incredibly impressive but at the same time have been very well run since for the most part with a never ending stream of managers. IN fact they finished between 6th and 8th each of the 4 full seaoss after he left.
    He didn't pull up trees at any of Reading, Sheffield United or Hull in his short spells at each club. I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons for these but I haven't been following any of those clubs closely so on the surface theres not a huge amount to get excited about in terms of results.
    On the plus side, he has two promotions from League One under his belt, he seems like a genuinely nice guy and has had his teams playing decent football. I was also very unhappy with the Bowyer appointment at the time, though I quickly changed my mind on that.
    Well as you've claimed his recent track record is not impressive, but then go onto say you haven't been following any of those clubs closely and that this opinion is based on results on the surface - which we all know does not tell the full story at all.

I'd urge you to go speak to some Reading or Hull fans at least and see if that changes your opinion. My feeling is it will.
    Not many Reading or Hull fans around these parts! Not many Charlton fans either for that matter. I think its fair to look at his history and be underwhelmed. I'll judge him based on what happens here. I wasn't happy when Bowyer got the job but he changed my opinion with results and Adkins will have the opportunity to do the same.
    I think to a certain extent Managerial appointments are a bit of a crap shoot. Great managers fail at clubs all the time, and sometimes a manager fits a club or doesn't and its hard to know before hand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t hate it.   He is articulate and intelligent which is pleasant after listening to Bowyers inane and borderline offensive ramblings for too long. There is a worry that when the honeymoon period is over he could end up being ridiculed a la Robinson on the “talking bollocks quickly” monitor.  But of the candidates available he was the one that appealed to me the most. Bit of a Back handed compliment as it wasn’t an impressive list.  But I was worried that Thomas might have a punt on one of his Yank or Danish mates (and we’re not talking Laudrup or Donovan here!)
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Thought he was treated unfairly at Southampton when he got them to the prem. Seems a nice guy. Let's see if we get the manager bounce Saturday
    Perhaps, but were they wrong? He did a great job gaining back to back promotions. They went on to finish 8th, 7th, 6th and 8th in the four seasons after they sacked him so it would seem to have been the right decision for them. We'll never know how Adkins would have done if given the chance but its unlikely he would have outperformed those results.
  • Options
    Decent, sensible appointment.  Likeable guy with 4 promotions under his belt, plays good football, gives the kids a chance.

Bit of a patchy recent record but that is why he is available to a L1 team.  The nonsense about Wilder/Howe raised people's expectations to silly levels, they were never coming.  At this level you either gamble with someone on their first appointment or you accept someone with imperfections on their CV.

Good luck to him.  Could whomever pulled the Miere resignation stunt please apply to deedpoll to change his name from Nigel though, maybe to Addick.
  • Options
    Remember Thomas must have pretty limited knowledge of managers over here, if I was to buy a club in North America or Denmark I wouldn’t have a clue who to appoint.

He must of gone to senior management for advice or he has this 5 year plan then he will obviously look at managers who have gone from LG 1 to PL and that would be Wilder and Howe or Adkins, pretty obvious who is the most attainable. They have all achieved his aim in the past. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm happy with Nigel Adkins and JJ - 4 promotions is no fluke and he seems like a very decent chap. i bet JJ is relieved as well - move to Birmingham ?? really?? 
  • Options
    ergh.

A Nigel.

:- )
  • Options
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks.

Adkins did brilliantly for Southampton TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO - he has not worked for two years and failed at his last three clubs.

This is just so gutting, I am sure he is a lovely bloke and all that but come on people if Sunderland appointed him after sacking Parky we’d have thought them mad.

Obviously he knows Ged Roddy from working together at Reading and that’s why he got the job, and that is just not good enough I am afraid.

Feels like a real kick in the teeth and confirms what others have said about tension between Bowyer and Roddy with the former fearing a replacement was being lined up.

I would love to be wrong but this looks like an awful appointment, please show me a manager that has failed at his last three clubs and then suddenly finds success after two years on his arse. You won’t be able to.

Really quite angry about this, feels like a complete piss take to be honest.
    If you don't have the ability to at least open a wikipedia page and read the bloke's record, you do not deserve an opinion.

'Failed' at Hull? Give me strength.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:
    felix_31 said:
    On the plus side, he has two three promotions from League One under his belt, he seems like a genuinely nice guy and has had his teams playing decent football. I was also very unhappy with the Bowyer appointment at the time, though I quickly changed my mind on that.
    Good to see you posting again on the Recent Discussions thread! 👍
  • Options

For those with a problem with his name ,I would hope the comments are tongue in cheek

If not just grow up

Ok..........DAVE.😎
  • Options
    Although it's possible I don't think we will make the playoffs this season. 
    But with Thomas giving proper backing in the summer I can see us smashing league one next season. 
    Welcome Nigel  and good luck.