Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    Two defensive mids every game with the talent we have is just criminal
  • Options
    I'd guess Southgate is getting us used to playing a formation in prep for the Euro's when we'll play better sides (apart from Scotland). It's pretty obvious that (if fit) he'll go with Rice and Henderson.
  • Options
    With a weakened Poland team there's no harm sticking Mount and Foden back into midfield with Rice 

Then have Sterling, Kane and Watkins/Calvert Lewin up front. Have Kane drop back like he always wants to and the other striker stick up top. 
  • Options
    A win and we're almost there.
  • Options
    After their win just now and top of their group with 3 wins out of 3.............Armenia!
  • Options
    Try Mount at CM please. Just once Gareth.
  • Options
    I'd guess Southgate is getting us used to playing a formation in prep for the Euro's when we'll play better sides (apart from Scotland). It's pretty obvious that (if fit) he'll go with Rice and Henderson.
    That's what I think & it makes sense.
  • Options
    Seems Southgate thinks that Phillips could be a backup option to Henderson and wants to see as much of him as possible before the euros in case Henderson isn't available
  • Options
    Kane, Sterling, Mount and Foden should be more than enough to score a couple of goals against Poland.

With the options available off the bench (Lingard, Watkins, Calvert-Lewin), I think we've gone with the best possible XI.
  • Options
    Seems Southgate thinks that Phillips could be a backup option to Henderson and wants to see as much of him as possible before the euros in case Henderson isn't available
    There are 24-players in the current England team so wont be surprised to see the majority in the squad come the summer as we get to name a squad of twenty three

Watkins (dropped completely)

Lingard | Johnstone | Phillips replaced with Grealish | Pickford | Henderson if fit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    The problem is that I don't see Southgate changing his formation for the weaker teams in the tournament. 

Yes we'll play 4-2-3-1 against the big teams and that's fine but playing the same formation against the weak teams that will sit back and hit us on the counter is going to cause issues. 

• Options
    I dont understand why Southgate rates Phillips so highly. He's been bang average for England. That said then I also don't know what alternatives are out there for that type of player having not watched much prem football these days
  • Options
    Phillips isn't really good enough to lace Henderson's boots!
  • Options
    I dont understand why Southgate rates Phillips so highly. He's been bang average for England. That said then I also don't know what alternatives are out there for that type of player having not watched much prem football these days
    The thing is, do we really need that type of player as we already have Rice in the team? 
  • Options
    True CDM wise we have such limited options.

There is a way around that however.

Don't play a formation that relies heavily on 2 DMs. Or at least try a more forward thinking player there.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    W Cup Qualifier 1973 .. England HAD to win to progress .. One of the most remarkable games played at old Wembley .. Bobby Moore was dropped for Hunter .. his f** up and a dodgy performance from Shilton gave the Poles their goal ..  Polish goal keeper Tomaszewski, called a clown by Clough had one of those unforgettable games .. England just could not score .. Good England side full of the start of that era
    AND Poland finished 3rd in the 1974 World Cup by beating Brazil .. this was THE best side that Poland ever produced

https://youtu.be/aTs_wY_pVzU
  • Options
    Henderson will come in for Philips in the euros and that’ll be the lineup. 
  • Options
    I personally dont have issue with it... think its good enough provided the defence does its job
  • Options
    I personally dont have issue with it... think its good enough provided the defence does its job
    I do because we need flexibility and at some point with this attacking talent you have to allow them to go out and dominate. 

Phillips is CDM for Leeds....... have you seen their defensive stats.... if he was Kante I might think more like you do..... but he isn't!

• Options
    W Cup Qualifier 1973 .. England HAD to win to progress .. One of the most remarkable games played at old Wembley .. Bobby Moore was dropped for Hunter .. his f** up and a dodgy performance from Shilton gave the Poles their goal ..  Polish goal keeper Tomaszewski, called a clown by Clough had one of those unforgettable games .. England just could not score .. Good England side full of the start of that era
    AND Poland finished 3rd in the 1974 World Cup by beating Brazil .. this was THE best side that Poland ever produced

https://youtu.be/aTs_wY_pVzU
    I was there, my brother brought me tickets as a 21st birthday present, still hate him for that😀
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    supaclive said:
    I do because we need flexibility and at some point with this attacking talent you have to allow them to go out and dominate. 

Phillips is CDM for Leeds....... have you seen their defensive stats.... if he was Kante I might think more like you do..... but he isn't!
    I meant the squad as it is, albeit Henderson coming in for Phillips hence why I was quoting Gary :)
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Can’t wait till all us Little Englanders get to properly boo another countries anthem again :-) 

In Ger luuuuund 
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I meant the squad as it is, albeit Henderson coming in for Phillips hence why I was quoting Gary :)
    So as Henderson IS injured, Phillips isn't the answer.   In my opinion.  Play Mount (or Foden or Bellingham) and another of the attacking options.

Flexibility is key.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

So as Henderson IS injured, Phillips isn't the answer.   In my opinion.  Play Mount (or Foden or Bellingham) and another of the attacking options.

Flexibility is key.
    Or stick with the formation yet put one squad player in there so everyone else can get used to the familiar style, rather than messing about with no organisation in the team before the Finals.

Of course we all want our teams to be attacking yet Portugal and Charlton have shown in recent years that if you want to win things then you have to be tight at the back first

Dont care if we win every game 1-0 if it results in a trophy 
  • Options
    Can’t wait till all us Little Englanders get to properly boo another countries anthem again :-) 

In Ger luuuuund 
    I'm still booing and then sing Scotland get battered. 
  • Options
    What happens if someone gets injured during the tournament? 

There's a lack of flexibility in Southgate's thinking. We need to be able to adapt to the players we have available and not just waiting for them to return. 
  • Options

There's a lack of flexibility in Southgate's thinking. We need to be able to adapt to the players we have available and not just waiting for them to return. 
    Yeah I can certainly understand that approach to the thinking on here
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Think we’ve started well. Mount needs that space to operate in, so perhaps another attacking player like him would congest that area of the pitch.
  • Options
     Rice looks a lot more confident here. Playing like he’s in a West Ham shirt.
  • Options

Yeah I can certainly understand that approach to the thinking on here
    Let's not forget Rashford and Grealish and maybe Sancho are fighting for places too.