Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    And that should be a booking...
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    We’re winning 2-0 very comfortably, without too much threat from the opposition.

Is it thrilling? No, but then again I don’t think it’s realistic to be when you’re up against teams who park the bus.

Some people will still be complaining no matter how many goals we were to win by. 
    "This is going to be a very boring 2-0 win. 

We'll ignore how average and boring we look, then act shocked as we get knocked out early in a major tournament. 

It's the same cycle England go on every single tournament other than 2018."

Literally called it ten minutes in. 
    Literally not been knocked out early in a major tournament since you wrote that...  :D
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    We’re winning 2-0 very comfortably, without too much threat from the opposition.

Is it thrilling? No, but then again I don’t think it’s realistic to be when you’re up against teams who park the bus.

Some people will still be complaining no matter how many goals we were to win by. 

We'll ignore how average and boring we look, then act shocked as we get knocked out early in a major tournament. 

Literally not been knocked out early in a major tournament since you wrote that...  :D
    Euro 2016: 

Come 2nd to Wales in the group stage
    Knocked out to Iceland

Euro 2016 qualifying: 

Played 10 won 10. 

Looking bad but winning in qualifying usually just gives a false sense of ability. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Euro 2016: 

Come 2nd to Wales in the group stage
    Knocked out to Iceland

Euro 2016 qualifying: 

Played 10 won 10. 

Looking bad but winning in qualifying usually just gives a false sense of ability. 
    I feel my odd sense of humour may have fallen a bit flat...
  • Options
    JWP had a mare when he came on!
  • Options
    Jammy old Spain...
  • Options
    Another win and a clean sheet, decent enough preparation for the Euro's. It's all coming together nicely for a last 16 exit on penalties to Portugal.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

So, we haven’t gone out early in a tournament in 5 years - which had a different squad and manager altogether? 

Yet you’ve written them off already. We get it - you find England boring. But whinging because the football isn’t scintillating, even though we’re winning 2-0, is a bit of a reach. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another win and a clean sheet, decent enough preparation for the Euro's. It's all coming together nicely for a last 16 exit on penalties to Portugal.
    0-0 after Extra time?!
  • Options
    The Euros are boring as a contest regardless now.

Portugal showed everyone five years ago how you can win the tournament by keeping things tight at the back and running the risk of ensuring you're one of the best third placed teams, and then topping it off by being extremely lucky either in Extra-Time or on penalties.

As a result I wont be surprised if the winners this summer come from a pretty unfancied team.

Lets not pretend though that England arent going to be the only side that play with two Defensive Midfielders - For some reason everyone wants attacking / flowing football, yet the genuine experts constantly remind you that goals win games, clean sheets win you things.
  • Options
    There are two ways of winning a tournament. Being hard to beat or being the best team in it.
  • Options
    I see Millar's Canada are playing the might of the Cayman Islands this evening...
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Thats annoying as guess we may not have Liam Millar available for the Doncaster game now - Only gives him a few days to get back over and deal with any jetlag etc. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

So, we haven’t gone out early in a tournament in 5 years - which had a different squad and manager altogether? 

Yet you’ve written them off already. We get it - you find England boring. But whinging because the football isn’t scintillating, even though we’re winning 2-0, is a bit of a reach. 
    I'm not sorry for feeling like we have a team capable of challenging for winning tournaments. 

We have one of the best squads in the world, especially attacking wise. Its a shame we don't play to our strengths and settle for sitting back and rolling over against any decent competition. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

I'm not sorry for feeling like we have a team capable of challenging for winning tournaments. 

We have one of the best squads in the world, especially attacking wise. Its a shame we don't play to our strengths and settle for sitting back and rolling over against any decent competition. 
    France only beat Kazakhstan 2-0 tonight.

Spain had to come from behind to beat Georgia 2-1.

Germany only beat Romania 1-0.

There is nothing to suggest we can’t match these teams in a knockout match. 

I’m not saying we’re definitely winning the Euros/World Cup or anything like that, but I fail to see the fair logic in just writing them off even though games are being won.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

France only beat Kazakhstan 2-0 tonight.

Spain had to come from behind to beat Georgia 2-1.

Germany only beat Romania 1-0.

There is nothing to suggest we can’t match these teams in a knockout match. 

I’m not saying we’re definitely winning the Euros/World Cup or anything like that, but I fail to see the fair logic in just writing them off even though games are being won.
    This squad could absolutely win the Euros or World Cup. Sadly will never happen under Southgate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only change i'd make would be JWP for Phillips
    Thought there was another Wright-Phillips didn’t know about for a second. 
    But is he better than Sean?
  • Options
    Lewandowski out of Wednesdays game
    That is a massive boost for us
  • Options
    It completely changes how Poland will approach this game. You imagine they'll be far more cautious now, keep things tight and get a draw
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    It completely changes how Poland will approach this game. You imagine they'll be far more cautious now, keep things tight and get a draw
    Good practice for the Group Stages in the Euros... Reckon a lot of teams will setup that way come the Finals

World Cup: Draw and you're probably out as its just the top two
    Euros: Draw and you stand a very good chance of advancing as a third placed team
  • Options
    Good practice for the Group Stages in the Euros... Reckon a lot of teams will setup that way come the Finals

World Cup: Draw and you're probably out as its just the top two
    Euros: Draw and you stand a very good chance of advancing as a third placed team
    So true, I'm really not a fan of the 24 team format.

Encourages draws and also has half the tournament happening to only knock out 6 teams.
  • Options
    Cayman Islands v Canada is on @ 11pm for anyone who cant sleep and want to see how Liam Millar does...

https://www.squawka.com/en/cayman-islands-vs-canada-live-stream-watch-online-world-cup-qualifiers-predictions/
  • Options
    Cayman Islands v Canada is on @ 11pm for anyone who cant sleep and want to see how Liam Millar does...

https://www.squawka.com/en/cayman-islands-vs-canada-live-stream-watch-online-world-cup-qualifiers-predictions/
    Not watching myself but its already 5-0 to Canada after just 32-mins - Millar has started the game and almost scored the fifth himself