Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Prince Philip - RIP

Comments

• Options
    RIP

Listened to an hour long obituary on radio 4 driving home tonight.

A fascinating and varied life
  • Options
    I saw them both go past y work window in their Royal when I worked in Bromley. 

• Options

Bromley joins national week of mourning

Dear Resident,

Following the sad news and the official announcement by Buckingham Palace earlier today concerning the Duke of Edinburgh, the Council is holding a one-minute silence at 11am Saturday 10 April.

The Mayor of Bromley, Councillor Hannah Gray and the Leader of the Council, Councillor Colin Smith will be present to represent the Council and residents to observe the silence as a mark of sympathy and respect. To maintain social distancing and in line with the current legal requirements, residents and staff are being invited to observe the silence virtually, from home.

The Mayor of Bromley, Councillor Hannah Gray said, “It is with sadness that we are gathering following the official announcement concerning the Duke of Edinburgh. Many of us will have our own personal memories which we will reflect on, as a nation and a borough. It is right to come together as we mourn at this time, with our flag flown at half-mast out of respect.”

The Leader of the Council, Councillor Colin Smith said, “This is a sad and difficult time for our nation and for many residents as we come together to mourn. The Duke of Edinburgh served our country with utmost distinction and our thoughts and prayers are naturally with Her Majesty, the Queen, and other members of the Royal Family at this time.”

The Council will be reflecting on whether any civic meetings need to be rearranged in light of this sad news and any changes or updates will be publicised on the Council’s website in due course.

Memorial tribute flowers can be laid in Queens Gardens in Bromley with appropriate social distancing needing to take place.

Residents are invited to join the live-stream available from the link on the home page of the Council website www.bromley.gov.uk from 11am on Saturday 10 April.

Yours sincerely,

Bromley Council

• Options
    Prince Phillip served our country throughout and a strength to the Queen.

RIP 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    He’s been a great servant for his country and an unbelievable support to his wife, I do feel for her, she’s going to miss him big time, thankyou Philip.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    RIP Big man...proper bloke who was always there for our Queenie & he did so much for our country & charities what a legacy he has left behind...so sad for many people
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The legacy of the Duke of Edinburgh scheme is a fantastic one. So many young people have benefited from this in an important phase of their lives. 
  • Options
    The legacy of the Duke of Edinburgh scheme is a fantastic one. So many young people have benefited from this in an important phase of their lives. 
    Always wanted to go this but for some reason didn’t. Wish there was a adult version.  
  • Options
    There is to be a 41 gun salute fired at Woolwich barracks today at 12pm in remembrance of Prince Philip.
  • Options
    I wonder if a mod might be able to jump in and correct the spelling in the thread title. 
  • Options
    Someone said on L.B.C yesterday that it was the 99th day of the year and it was on the ninth day. All the 9s!
  • Options
    Chucking it down in Gib
  • Options
    I love this tradition also. Hearing the bangs from the Common. Wish I had walked over. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keeping away from the H of C threads for now.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Keeping away from the H of C threads for now.
    Good idea! 👍
  • Options
    I took part in the Duke of Edinburgh scheme through school.

I did Scottish country dancing as my interest and we did a display at Walsingham school and the Duke of Edinburgh came to see us. Lots of schools from local areas were there. 

The royal helicopter landed in the school playing field. Luckily when he came round he didn't talk to me, I wouldn't have known what to say. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Lots of quotes from the Duke over the years, from the sublime to the ridiculous but entertaining never the less:

" I would like to go to Russia very much- although the bastards murdered half my family."
    Quote from 1967 when asked if he will visit the Soviet Union.

"If it doesn't fart or eat hay, she isn't interested."
    Quote about Princess Anne.

"How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test."
    To a driving instructor in Oban 1995.

I have missed Phillip's views in the PC world of the last 20 years.

My favourite was when he was waiting for the Queen in Belize when he was on the deck of Britannia and she still hadnt come aboard as was talking

"Yak, Yak, Yak, come on get a move on"

She was his Queen, but it shows it was still a normal marriage between the two of them
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    With the funeral at 3pm. Will football games KO times be revised either before or after the funeral? 
  • Options
    During my RAF career, I was honoured and privileged to be selected to serve on 'The Queen's Flight' at RAF Benson between 1992-95 (before the flight then lost its autonomous status, disbanded, and amalgated with 32Sqn at RAF Northolt).

I was extremely lucky to have a role that involved me regularly flying with members of the Royal Family.

My 'big' tour (if you like) was with the Duke of Edinburgh in 1994; 3 weeks touring India and Pakistan when he was carrying out his World Wildlife Fund role.

This is the end of tour 'crew photo' that was taken during a refuel stop at Muscat airport.

RIP, Sir.
    What a marvelous picture.

RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    seth plum said:
    Did the Duke of Edinburgh Award as a schoolboy in about 1967.
    Another seemingly permanent fixture passes on.
    RIP, and I hope the Queen can cope and carry on for many years.
    RIP.

I got the Bronze award. One of my show off strengths with The Boys Brigade.

Anyone else?