Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Prince Philip - RIP

123457»

Comments

• Options
    It was clearly what Prince Philip wanted, but I found it slightly impersonal with no family members involved in the readings and no eulogy
    I wonder if they'll have something more private too?
  • Options
    apart from the bloke who's doing it i am the only person i know who likes the sound of bagpipes. 
    Bagpipes are instruments of the Gods - awe inspiring in my view.

• Options
    I am not a royalist but I found the funeral procession and simple service very moving. It was very dignified and I loved the music.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    It was clearly what Prince Philip wanted, but I found it slightly impersonal with no family members involved in the readings and no eulogy
    I've never had to deliver a eulogy (although my sister's already volunteered me for when my Dad goes) but I have done readings, and it's not an easy thing to do when you're grieving. Not expecting the family to take an active part in the ceremony unless they've positively volunteered to is a kindness I think.
    I’d written it for my dads’s funeral but couldn’t do it, thankfully the vicar took over.

Just about managed to do a speech at my sisters wedding 6 months after he died but was very tough. I’d asked my dad if there was anything he wanted me to say on the day when we knew he wasn’t going to make it but couldn’t bring myself to do it on the day as my sis was too emotional as it was.
  • Options
    Apparently, according to my wife who knows about these things. Eulogies are not said at Royal Funeral's.   
  • Options
    Did my best mates eulogy.  It was one of the most emotional things I have ever done.  I am a teacher so speak for a living but add in the occasion, emotion and expectation, I just about made my way through it without my voice cracking. 
  • Options
    Apparently, according to my wife who knows about these things. Eulogies are not said at Royal Funeral's.   
    I imagine they're not, though it still seemed a shame that one of the Royals, say Charles, didn't at least do a reading
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    I am a dyed in the wool anti-royalist - but I do have immense respect for the Queen.

Surprisingly though I did on occasion have to wipe a tear away, especially as Nimrod finished and the camera picked up the Duke’s cap and gloves on the seat of the carriage - a very touching moment.

In many ways it was a shame that the pandemic limited the grandeur of the ceremony, but for me it added to the poignancy. A beautifully crafted occasion.

Thoughts with Her Majesty - she looked so alone, and when she arrived at the chapel she appeared very, very frail.

Found that scene incredibly poignant too.  

• Options
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    aliwibble said:
    I've never had to deliver a eulogy (although my sister's already volunteered me for when my Dad goes) but I have done readings, and it's not an easy thing to do when you're grieving. Not expecting the family to take an active part in the ceremony unless they've positively volunteered to is a kindness I think.
    I’ve done it twice and each was unbelievably emotional.
    Same. 

The eulogy I did at my wife's funeral was the hardest thing I have ever done. But, because of how tough that was, everything I have done subsequently had been less daunting by comparison. It put literally everything else in perspective. 
    Jeez, massive respect to you Chizz.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I thought yesterday's service was very dignified, simple, and quite moving, just as the Duke would have wished.

The family, I hope, will have chance for a private gathering, where memories and eulogies can be shared. For a family who's duties mean so much of their life is played out in public, I do hope this is the case.

I have unfortunately had the duty to read eulogies for my mum, dad, grandfather and best mate/brother in law in recent years, two under the recent Covid restrictions, they are horrendously tough and I can empathise with anyone who has had to do similar. 

I caught the tail end of a program about Queen Victoria last night whose funeral was also at Windsor and the footage of her coffin being carried by the Armed forces up the steps to St George's Chapel were eerily yet reassuringly similar. 
  • Options
    I watched the programme about Queen Victoria as well and thought the same as you.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    aliwibble said:
    I’ve done it twice and each was unbelievably emotional.
    Same. 

The eulogy I did at my wife's funeral was the hardest thing I have ever done. But, because of how tough that was, everything I have done subsequently had been less daunting by comparison. It put literally everything else in perspective. 
    Jeez, massive respect to you Chizz.
    Thanks, but as someone who volunteers to work at a vaccination centre, you deserve far more than me. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I am a dyed in the wool anti-royalist - but I do have immense respect for the Queen.

Surprisingly though I did on occasion have to wipe a tear away, especially as Nimrod finished and the camera picked up the Duke’s cap and gloves on the seat of the carriage - a very touching moment.

In many ways it was a shame that the pandemic limited the grandeur of the ceremony, but for me it added to the poignancy. A beautifully crafted occasion.

Thoughts with Her Majesty - she looked so alone, and when she arrived at the chapel she appeared very, very frail.

I was quite impressed that a woman a few days shy of her 95th birthday was walking unaided into the church.
    Especially when you consider what the last few days will have knocked out of her.
    Disturbed sleeping pattern will most likely be the most difficult physical problem......as all of those who have grieved to the max will know.
    I have a vision that she went straight to her quarters, changed into something comfortable and got into bed for some much needed rest/sleep, she must have been absolutely exhausted but as always, she did her duty impeccably.
    I hope I’m right.