Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Prince Philip - RIP

Comments

• Options
    I'm not much of a monarchist. But this guy squeezed an awful lot into his lifetime, from putting his life on the line during world war two, to numerous wildlife initiatives, and a lifetime standing by the Queen. I guess you could say he had a great innings getting to 99, but for loved ones around any perosn, you always deep down hope for a couple more years, and I imagine the impact on the Queen in having someone such a part of her life suddenly vanishing forever must be devastating. While I never came into contact with anyone royal, I caught Joe Biden on Spanish TV on saturday and he offered a couple of words which I thing the D of E might well have appreciated as much as any of the eulogies we will be hearing this week.
    'He was a great guy!'
    RIP
  • Options
    My great uncle was in the police, and once had the task of being bodyguard to prince Philip for the royal csrriage. Apparently, HRH went to the toilet and when he left, my great uncle announced "the dirty bugger didn't even wash his hands" and was greeted to a two fingered salute through the window. RIP
  • Options
    I'm not much of a monarchist. But this guy squeezed an awful lot into his lifetime, from putting his life on the line during world war two, to numerous wildlife initiatives, and a lifetime standing by the Queen. I guess you could say he had a great innings getting to 99, but for loved ones around any perosn, you always deep down hope for a couple more years, and I imagine the impact on the Queen in having someone such a part of her life suddenly vanishing forever must be devastating. While I never came into contact with anyone royal, I caught Joe Biden on Spanish TV on saturday and he offered a couple of words which I thing the D of E might well have appreciated as much as any of the eulogies we will be hearing this week.
    'He was a great guy!'
    RIP
    I wonder who Biden thought he was talking about . 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    'He was a great guy!'
    RIP
    I wonder who Biden thought he was talking about . 
    ?🤔🤔🤔
  • Options
    its on now 
  • Options
    Very strange seeing such an empty chapel for such an important service 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely they could have made arrangements for someone to sit with the Queen rather than leave her on her own?
  • Options
    Surely they could have made arrangements for someone to sit with the Queen rather than leave her on her own?
    Wonder if they didnt want to deal with the: "But my Mum / Dad had to sit on there own during our own funeral"
  • Options
    they are, correctly, observing the rules as applies to all. No-one else in attendance is within the Queen's bubble, and therefore she is required to sit alone.

Whether those rules are sensible in whatever setting is questionable (she could sit next to someone at the pub) but they are the rules.
    Not inside the pub though
  • Options
    apart from the bloke who's doing it i am the only person i know who likes the sound of bagpipes. 
    I quite like them. They have a unique and interesting sound.
    I think it’s just they can seem a bit relentless...
  • Options
    Looked like William was in tears as he walked out, the cameras panned away very quickly from him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    apart from the bloke who's doing it i am the only person i know who likes the sound of bagpipes. 
    I quite like them. They have a unique and interesting sound.
    I think it’s just they can seem a bit relentless...
    Yeah relentless but in a way it reminds me watching a documentary on the first world war. 'Devils in skirts' was used by the Germans when faced with the highlanders. They mentioned the bagpipes as their siren call, which freaked the German troops out. Relentless is not strong enough word to describe what those chaps did in battle.  
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Something about people that have spent so long together being torn apart always gets me. 

A woman married to a man for 73 years has lost her husband, that could be Elizabeth and Phillip from Dagenham and it would still bring a tear to my eye.

RIP.
    This. I find all funerals upsetting.
  • Options
    Family is family, doesn’t matter if you’re the richest people in the land or the poorest. Value of family is always the same. I’m not watching as I find it strange, but the pics going round social media are sad. 
  • Options
    Looked like William was in tears as he walked out, the cameras panned away very quickly from him.
    Was nice to see him and Harry walking alongside each other talking afterwards
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Something about people that have spent so long together being torn apart always gets me. 

A woman married to a man for 73 years has lost her husband, that could be Elizabeth and Phillip from Dagenham and it would still bring a tear to my eye.

RIP.
    This. I find all funerals upsetting.
    depends on who's died i would of thought. Hitlers funeral...

na, its something that a lot of us have experienced and any decent person would feel empathy.  
  • Options
    Thai malaysia addick thank you for putting in that old score card.
    Thought that was absolutely brilliant, well done. Did those matches
    used to be played at Arundel Castle?
  • Options
    It was clearly what Prince Philip wanted, but I found it slightly impersonal with no family members involved in the readings and no eulogy