Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Tues 4th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    Imagine the scenes when we lose to Hull, but Pompey and Oxford also fail to win
    Worst case scenario isn't it. I can take missing out on the playoffs due to an overall poor season, but if we fluff our lines when given a chance, AGAIN, I'll lose the plot.
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    Yes I can also see what your saying garrymanilow but at the moment we don’t have the players to play like that,playing stockley upfront on his own with mattsen on the right wing and millar wide on the left IMO would be a disaster, seeing its vital we get 3points on sunday
    We don't really have the players to play many ways to be honest. We're set up for the diamond, which I hate, and sort of 3-5-2 but not really. We don't quite have the wing backs for an effective 3-5-2 so we end up disjointed, and we aren't blessed with wide midfielders for a 4-4-2 either. I think we'll probably set up 4-3-3 against Hull to ensure we're solid and then change it if we need to. That worked pretty well against Lincoln, sometimes it's the mid-match change that throws the opposition rather than starting that way. I think he'll bring on Chuks alongside Stockley as the match goes on and hopefully that will be effective
  • Options
    We’re struggling to create chances exactly that’s why I’ve constantly harped on about SHINNIE one of if not the best passer in the squad and all he’s doing is keeping the bench warm.you could play both Shinnie and Jfc in the middle of the park and I’d be astounded if between them they didn’t make3or4 chances or defence splitting passes then you could have gilbey and Morgan tearing up the channels in support of Aneke and stockley then if the attack breaks down thev got the engines to get back and make a four across the midfield,maybe a bit harsh on millar but I’d fancy gilbey or Morgan to get back and put a solid tackle in much more than I would millar.
  • Options
    There's a reason why neither Manager this season has played JFC and Shinnie in the middle together as part of a two. I'm sure this might have been tried in training and mulled over...
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    There's a reason why neither Manager this season has played JFC and Shinnie in the middle together as part of a two. I'm sure this might have been tried in training and mulled over...
    Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure we have played them. We haven't played a 442 much this season at all, and when we have it's more often than not been Shinnie who has been pushed to RM. 
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    I totally agree major I just don’t get playing one up top it is an almost impossible task, you isolate any striker with 2 widemen and their struggle,as a minimum you’ve got to have two,but for Sunday’s game I hope we have 3up top.l have wondered just how much say Jackson and euell have in picking the side if any.   Being both attacking players surely they would be saying this ain’t working boss can we go with Two or three up there, or does he just dismiss it and do he’s own thing.
    It can work with the right midfield/wingers. Chelsea and Man City have got the Champions League final this week without playing a striker at all. 
    Yeah, but the Champions League is old hat - and they know it ;-
  • Options
    When you look back over the season and analyse it maybe, and I’m only saying maybe we played people out of position to many times. Mattsen on the right wing?Shinnie wide right ? It’s a hard one picking the right line up because in most games
    you have a defensive midfielder but if you do that and put Shinnie and Jfc-c in there you have no width  but if you play Shinnie and Jfc together with gilbey and Morgan that gives us creativity,energy and support for stockley and Aneke. If things aren’t going to good take one of the midfielders off and bring on millar if aneke breaks down bring on Washington, I’d like to see Schwartz on the bench for this match aswell
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    We’re struggling to create chances exactly that’s why I’ve constantly harped on about SHINNIE one of if not the best passer in the squad and all he’s doing is keeping the bench warm.you could play both Shinnie and Jfc in the middle of the park and I’d be astounded if between them they didn’t make3or4 chances or defence splitting passes then you could have gilbey and Morgan tearing up the channels in support of Aneke and stockley then if the attack breaks down thev got the engines to get back and make a four across the midfield,maybe a bit harsh on millar but I’d fancy gilbey or Morgan to get back and put a solid tackle in much more than I would millar.
    As Adkins said last night he wants players with lots of energy. Shinnie just doesn't work as hard as Gilbey does. We are trying to play a higher tempo pressing game, with Shinnie we just can't do that. Plus Gilbey since coming back in has 3 goals and an assist plus helping create the first goal the other night. As I've said before I like Shinnie but I just don't see how he fits in this team, there's absolutely no way I'd have him as part of a midfield 2. As a 3 possibly but then I feel that leaves Stockley even more isolated as Gilbey does at least try and get forward to support. 
  • Options
    I wouldn’t play Shinnie in a midfield 2 either it would be suicidal that’s why I said play Shinnie and Jfc together in the middle with Morgan and gilbey operating down the flanks it’s good to play a high pressing game but also when we’ve won the ball you’ve got to have a player who can open up defences with defence splitting passes, someone who can put his foot on the ball and dictate play it ain’t all about tearing around the pitch like a headless chicken.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally, I've never been a fan of playing 4 centre midfielders in midfield. We tried this earlier in the season (another LB let's give this a go) and were pedestrian and overlapped very easily on the wings. England tried this many times too and it just never offers variety in movement and team play.

I agree with you that if each player is on the top of their game, playing with intensity and energy, it can work in some games.
  • Options
    I don’t know the score with jf-c but if he’s out injured and they leave Shinnie out who the hell going to run the show in midfield without them2.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Effectively Shinnie and Gilbey are fighting for a place in the team and Gilbs (much to our surprise) is bringing a lot more to the role. Both physically and in terms of goals/assists. 

I do really like Shinnie as a player and he's provided our very few classy moments this season. But I'm always aware he doesn't do the dirty side of the game very well, but is more a conductor. 
    For me Shinnie is the better creative midfielder, though that ball to Aneke for the first was sublime. Gilbey is better at all round attacking and even tackling so adds a bit more. I am very pleased with how much he has stepped up. 

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I think we can have a good debate over Gilbey and Shinnie, but I can't see why Shinnie isn't on the bench at least. Surely JJ can explain to Nigel what he may have missed.
  • Options
    I don’t think Shinnie and gilbey are fighting each other their both different type of players and would compliment each other along with jf-c and Morgan in that midfield four.play them four and you have everything creativity heart desire physicality energy and experience, nobody could ask for more.I now rest my case.
  • Options
    I think we can have a good debate over Gilbey and Shinnie, but I can't see why Shinnie isn't on the bench at least. Surely JJ can explain to Nigel what he may have missed.
    In place of? Tuesday night the bench was Gk, 2 Def, 2 Mid, 2 Forw. He isn't going to take Pratley's place as you need the option of him coming on and helping to see the game out (as he did). Morgan? Before Tuesday you could justify him not making the bench but Adkins was justified in selecting him in the squad with his performance. I wouldn't have Shinnie over Aneke or Washington. Pearce is there to cover the CBs who both have concerns over fitness. Gunter you could argue but Matthews has played a lot over the last few months and had an injury scare a couple of games ago. 
  • Options
    I would have him over Pratley personally.
  • Options
    How about Maynard brewer,pratley, Pearce, Gunter, millar Washington, Schwartz on the bench seeing as 3 points is a must
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    I don’t think Shinnie and gilbey are fighting each other their both different type of players and would compliment each other along with jf-c and Morgan in that midfield four.play them four and you have everything creativity heart desire physicality energy and experience, nobody could ask for more.I now rest my case.
    Shinnie is 31 and doesn't fit the Adkins template of a much younger team in future .. I doubt he'll be here next season
  • Options
    I except that mate, he might not be here next season, but doesn’t it make sense to use a player of that calibra in our quest for promotion and as I said on previous comments play him on Sunday and wave him goodbye.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shinnie, with Gilbey and Morgan could well work with a new midfielder also in the frame.
    With JFC Injury then it opens the door for Shinnie who had his moments this season.
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    Yes I can also see what your saying garrymanilow but at the moment we don’t have the players to play like that,playing stockley upfront on his own with mattsen on the right wing and millar wide on the left IMO would be a disaster, seeing its vital we get 3points on sunday
    We don't really have the players to play many ways to be honest. We're set up for the diamond, which I hate, and sort of 3-5-2 but not really. We don't quite have the wing backs for an effective 3-5-2 so we end up disjointed, and we aren't blessed with wide midfielders for a 4-4-2 either. I think we'll probably set up 4-3-3 against Hull to ensure we're solid and then change it if we need to. That worked pretty well against Lincoln, sometimes it's the mid-match change that throws the opposition rather than starting that way. I think he'll bring on Chuks alongside Stockley as the match goes on and hopefully that will be effective
    That's been the problem all season.  When we put the championship squad together, for peanuts, we had a system and obvious round pegs in round holes.  Even if the pegs weren't good enough they at least fitted.

I have no idea what the "plan" was at the start of the season, or more accurately when the embargo was lifted.  We ended up with a ton of very good players but no clear way of playing that could fit them in. And massive gaps in the squad. 

We ended up with Williams, Shinnie, Maddison, Gilbey, Morgan and no real way of getting more than 1 of them, 2 at a push, in the team at the same time. 

I disagree that we were set up for the diamond because we didn't have the strikers to play it.  I think Bowyer wanted to play it but couldn't leave Doughty out and ended up with neither one thing nor another. 

I have no idea what Nigle will want to play next season, if he has anything like a clean slate, but I strongly suspect it will have 3 center mids in it. 

• Options
    It looks like I won’t be getting what I dearly wanted to see in JF-C and SHINNIE playing together in central midfield as I felt jf-c needed help as a lot of moves were going through him and he started to look a little jaded and tired as anybody would be through all the effort he put in to his games .I wish jfc allthe very best for a speedy recovery,and hope to see him fit and well for next season.Now that unfortunately jfc is out of the picture,surely Shinnie comes in to the picture,but I won’t be holding my breath.
  • Options
    For the record one of Portsmouth or Oxford will be comfortably leading by 2 goals at least and it wont matter what we do 
    We've already fluffed it up there wont be any last minute heart ache 

Play offs 5%
    7th-12th 95%
  • Options
    Charlton 2   Hull. 0
    Portsmouth 1.  Accrington. 1
    Oxford. 1.  Burton. 1

play. Offs. 100%
    7th-12th. 0%
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The dream scenario is to be 2 goals up while Pompey and Oxford are both losing as we head into the last five minutes or so. Of course it won't be anywhere near as easy/comfortable as that!
  • Options
    I feel relaxed as my expectation levels are low. Of course, a few developments in our favour on Sunday and that will go out of the window.
  • Options
    bloody hell !!! the fact that there is no match thread has meant we are having to use the last game thread lol