Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Tues 4th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    Would it then be the head to head record?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    So it comes down to us needing to win on Sunday hopefully by a few goals and hope Portsmouth and Oxford don't win.
    Worst case we'll hopefully win 3-0 with Portsmouth losing by at least a goal, and Oxford by a few

That way if Portsmouth get an equaliser at the death, we'll still be above them on GD
    I'll have a fiver on that scenario .. and buy a castle in Spain with the winnings ((:>)
  • Options
    Aneke and Stockley for full season and both fit would have been similar numbers (if not more for Stockley) as Kermorgant and Wright-Phillips in 11/12.

Stockley 8 league goals / Kermorgant 12 league goals
    Aneke 15 league goals / Wright-Phillips 22 league goals

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    That turnaround was unreal. 

We started the first 10 minutes well but from that moment we were under pressure and passing was sloppy... until the moment Morgan came on and boy was he was up for it.

He collected the ball from defence and didn't just ping any old hollywood ball he played it easy and calmly more often than not. It enabled Millar to get up and Gilbey to support Stockley which saw us to half time, though we were unlucky ourselves not to nick one as the half drew to a close. 

Second half Purrington was off and Maatsen regained the LB spot and we were something else as the BEAST came on to support Stockley... Bosh immediate effect Stockley slaps one in from a Chuks chest down, then Morgan with a pinpoint corner to Inniss and finally a side foot from Millar to allow Chuks to drill home. 

A mistake at the end, but nothing too costly. 

It will be very costly if Oxford lose, we draw and Portsmouth lose by one goal. Lincoln's goal will make the difference between sixth and seventh place. I can just see this happening now.
    No it won't we can look at so many goals we have conceded needlessly if we don't go up it's dropped points like Crewe or points we should have had in the bag like Oxford that are the issue.

Conceding one goal to the team in third as we slap them 3-1 wasn't the problem over the course of the season.

Stop with your miserable spin. 
    Miserable spin, lol. I'm just pointing out the error in saying 'nothing too costly'. Of course it's no more costly than any other goal we've let in all season. The issue here is that with 120 minutes left of the season a Portsmouth one goal defeat could have done the job but that's no longer the case with 90 minutes left.

Portsmouth win - Game over Oxford and Charlton do not make the playoffs.
    Portsmouth lose or draw, oxford draw, charlton draw Oxford make the playoffs
    Portsmouth lose or draw, oxford win, Charlton win but fail to move above oxford on GD (score 5 more than Oxford)- Oxford make the playoffs.
    Portsmouth lose or draw, Oxford lose or draw - Charlton win - We unexpectedly make the playoffs.
    Oxford lose, Portsmouth lose by one, Charlton draw. - Portsmouth make the play-offs courtesy of Lincoln's goal.

It was a great win yesterday but we needed to get another or not concede. We needed a 3 goal win to ensure making the play-offs if we draw and the other two lose. 

Of course, there are many other permutations as you've selected where it won't make any difference but there is this one permutation (not that improbable at all) where that one goal puts us 7th instead of 6th.

There are 27 possible sequences of results between three teams.
    One of these is D,L,L. The most likely L is by one goal. Therefore the probability is I estimate about 1 in 35.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

We started the first 10 minutes well but from that moment we were under pressure and passing was sloppy... until the moment Morgan came on and boy was he was up for it.

He collected the ball from defence and didn't just ping any old hollywood ball he played it easy and calmly more often than not. It enabled Millar to get up and Gilbey to support Stockley which saw us to half time, though we were unlucky ourselves not to nick one as the half drew to a close. 

Second half Purrington was off and Maatsen regained the LB spot and we were something else as the BEAST came on to support Stockley... Bosh immediate effect Stockley slaps one in from a Chuks chest down, then Morgan with a pinpoint corner to Inniss and finally a side foot from Millar to allow Chuks to drill home. 

It will be very costly if Oxford lose, we draw and Portsmouth lose by one goal. Lincoln's goal will make the difference between sixth and seventh place. I can just see this happening now.
    No it won't we can look at so many goals we have conceded needlessly if we don't go up it's dropped points like Crewe or points we should have had in the bag like Oxford that are the issue.

Conceding one goal to the team in third as we slap them 3-1 wasn't the problem over the course of the season.

Miserable spin, lol. I'm just pointing out the error in saying 'nothing too costly'. Of course it's no more costly than any other goal we've let in all season. The issue here is that with 120 minutes left of the season a Portsmouth one goal defeat could have done the job but that's no longer the case with 90 minutes left.

Portsmouth lose or draw, oxford win, Charlton win but fail to move above oxford on GD (score 5 more than Oxford)- Oxford make the playoffs.
    Portsmouth lose or draw, Oxford lose or draw - Charlton win - We unexpectedly make the playoffs.
    Oxford lose, Portsmouth lose by one, Charlton draw. - Portsmouth make the play-offs courtesy of Lincoln's goal.

It was a great win yesterday but we needed to get another or not concede. We needed a 3 goal win to ensure making the play-offs if we draw and the other two lose. 

Of course, there are many other permutations as you've selected where it won't make any difference but there is this one permutation (not that improbable at all) where that one goal puts us 7th instead of 6th.

One of these is D,L,L. The most likely L is by one goal. Therefore the probability is I estimate about 1 in 35.
    Portsmouth will draw
    Oxford will win 1-0
    Charlton will win 6-0
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Llcolthe3rd said:
    I'm baffled people are still asking why Chuks doesn't start. Is it ignorance or stupidity to keep asking this question?

The question has never been Answered why a guy is fit enough to take part in 35 games but can only play a small part.

Everyone and their Auntie knows there is an issue but to say it's physical not Psychological is not really an answer.

I wonder if it is asthma or another taboo injury or illness which is affecting his stamina because calling Chuks an Impact sub does not explain why you would put him on at Accrington so late when we were so hopeless. In a game we had to win because Pompey were 3-1up at the Dons ?

If he has a groin strain that needs an operation why is that a secret or constant tight hamstrings ? 

Biggest reason for me why we have fallen short.

Ps.Scott Minto asked the Psychological question and he is not Stupid.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattF said:
    "Fellows be sensible" ???

Invest in an ISA, drive a normal car, eat 5 fruit and veg a day...
  • Options
    Aneke and Stockley for full season and both fit would have been similar numbers (if not more for Stockley) as Kermorgant and Wright-Phillips in 11/12.

Stockley 8 league goals / Kermorgant 12 league goals
    Aneke 15 league goals / Wright-Phillips 22 league goals

Agreed 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Portsmouth will draw
    Oxford will win 1-0
    Charlton will win 6-0
    You're right to point out that the GD could work against us in this W,W,D scenario too.

I've just tried out the D,L,L scenario on Bet365 and they reckon it's a 1 in 110 chance.
  • Options
    It's only on seeing Inniss hug Aneke and make him look like a kid, that you realise how big he really is!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stockley has 8 goals for us since January. With or without a strike partner if we can get him in permanently we should. People can talk about not liking the way we play with him all we want but that's a brilliant goal return. He's not the issue, the players around him are. We should improve those
    This totally.

It's so funny the number of people who have slagged Stockley off despite the fact he has scored 8 goals and he's played up front by himself for most of the recent games getting s**t kicked out of him by 3 defenders.

He should be our number one target to sign.
    Agree.

Some people havent got a scoob. StOcKlEy iS a DONkEy was a quote I see in the match thread and it seems to be a reoccurring theme to slag him off every game.

I'd be getting him signed up as soon as possible.
    When he's not on his game, he's really not adding anything

If we can ALWAYS play him with a partner he should start every game. 
    I could go all Schwartz here and say 'we arent playing to his strengths' when he isnt on his game

Every time I see him he works his nuts off and as you can see above his goal return isnt too bad considering he is playing in a team that a lot want to see the back of come the end of the season.

I'd say when he isnt on his game neither are the rest of his team mates.
    Works his nuts off? You sure? Chuks works his nuts off, Washington works his nuts off... Stockley though... No where near working them off. If he adds that to his game, I'd be singing his praises more.

I agree entirely about playing to a players strengths, Stockley should not be on his own.

In reference to Schwartz, the big difference is one of those players has had a proper chance, the other has had cameos. Stockley being a big lad will obviously get more chances when a manager prefers one up top. 

If we're looking at two up front next season (and if Adkins keeps Schwartz) I'd be excited to see our front four options as combinations of Aneke, Stockley, Washington, Schwartz with a new fresh fifth option. 

Is this satire? So hard to tell these days 
    It is not. Stockley does nowhere near the work of our other forward players. Sure he plays for longer, but his overall workrate is lower. I like Stockley, but I don't love Stockley in a 4-3-3 because he's too limited in terms of work rate and skill to do it every game. 

I'm happy for him to start alongside Chuks or Conor any day of the week. 

stockley is a target man, not a channel runner - for a target man, his work rate is very good 
    See that's a more fair argument. Chuks however is a target man and a channel runner. Just a shame his fitness and ability to stay injury free is diabolical. 
    Maybe on reflection the amount of effort put in by Taylor, Aneke, Washington, Bonne, Grant and  even Parker has affected my judgement of Stockley's work rate. I mean Stockley's goal return is certainly beyond most of theirs for less than half a season.
    I’d actually group all those players other than Aneke as having good work rates. Will sound harsh to some but as great as he’s been this season he couldn’t battle like Stockley does, at the moment that’s usually for 90 minutes twice a week, often as a lone striker supported by 2/3 midfielders rather than a direct partner.

A big reason he might look more energetic than Stockley is because he’s often coming off the bench and playing in short bursts. Play him for 90 minutes and there’s no way Aneke would be constantly pressing and running the channels. He’d tire so more likely he’d adapt his game rather than try to battle for everything.

Stockley is similar to Yann in the way I think many would agree they both worked hard, but their role combined with a lack of pace means they didn’t always chase lost causes or track back in the way that strikers such as Taylor did. To some that makes them look like they’re lazy, I’ve seen the odd comment about Yann. I couldn’t accuse either of not giving it everything even if they didn’t charge around like some of those players did.
    I was actually thinking if Yann last night... Oi Oi! No not like that, but in the fact that as you say he rarely had to do much running, his battles were all strength and power based (more like Aneke, but with a lot more skill) and he rarely had to go full tilt, ever. He was also partnered with a less energetic player in BWP. I suppose if we can play how we did second half for the whole game against Hull and Stockley has a partner, we could see something surprising. 

I concede Stockley does more than I see, but maybe that's because I have been blinded by how shite we have been last few games with him on his own. (he hardly looked fantastic alongside Washington either but we didn't have pin point passing for them to work with, like we did in the second half of last night).
  • Options
    Llcolthe3rd said:
    I'm baffled people are still asking why Chuks doesn't start. Is it ignorance or stupidity to keep asking this question?

The question has never been Answered why a guy is fit enough to take part in 35 games but can only play a small part.

Everyone and their Auntie knows there is an issue but to say it's physical not Psychological is not really an answer.

I wonder if it is asthma or another taboo injury or illness which is affecting his stamina because calling Chuks an Impact sub does not explain why you would put him on at Accrington so late when we were so hopeless. In a game we had to win because Pompey were 3-1up at the Dons ?

If he has a groin strain that needs an operation why is that a secret or constant tight hamstrings ? 

Biggest reason for me why we have fallen short.

Ps.Scott Minto asked the Psychological question and he is not Stupid.

But that's the difference between asking "why can't he play a whole game?" and "Why isn't Adkins starting him?". There's obviously something going on, if he was fully fit and perhaps no mental issues going on he'd be starting a lot more games. To me there are some things that don't necessarily have to be in the public domain in order to protect players. But this constant from certain sections blaming Adkins for not starting him is tiresome.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stockley has 8 goals for us since January. With or without a strike partner if we can get him in permanently we should. People can talk about not liking the way we play with him all we want but that's a brilliant goal return. He's not the issue, the players around him are. We should improve those
    This totally.

It's so funny the number of people who have slagged Stockley off despite the fact he has scored 8 goals and he's played up front by himself for most of the recent games getting s**t kicked out of him by 3 defenders.

He should be our number one target to sign.
    Agree.

Some people havent got a scoob. StOcKlEy iS a DONkEy was a quote I see in the match thread and it seems to be a reoccurring theme to slag him off every game.

I'd be getting him signed up as soon as possible.
    When he's not on his game, he's really not adding anything

If we can ALWAYS play him with a partner he should start every game. 
    I could go all Schwartz here and say 'we arent playing to his strengths' when he isnt on his game

Every time I see him he works his nuts off and as you can see above his goal return isnt too bad considering he is playing in a team that a lot want to see the back of come the end of the season.

I'd say when he isnt on his game neither are the rest of his team mates.
    Works his nuts off? You sure? Chuks works his nuts off, Washington works his nuts off... Stockley though... No where near working them off. If he adds that to his game, I'd be singing his praises more.

I agree entirely about playing to a players strengths, Stockley should not be on his own.

In reference to Schwartz, the big difference is one of those players has had a proper chance, the other has had cameos. Stockley being a big lad will obviously get more chances when a manager prefers one up top. 

If we're looking at two up front next season (and if Adkins keeps Schwartz) I'd be excited to see our front four options as combinations of Aneke, Stockley, Washington, Schwartz with a new fresh fifth option. 

Is this satire? So hard to tell these days 
    It is not. Stockley does nowhere near the work of our other forward players. Sure he plays for longer, but his overall workrate is lower. I like Stockley, but I don't love Stockley in a 4-3-3 because he's too limited in terms of work rate and skill to do it every game. 

I'm happy for him to start alongside Chuks or Conor any day of the week. 

stockley is a target man, not a channel runner - for a target man, his work rate is very good 
    See that's a more fair argument. Chuks however is a target man and a channel runner. Just a shame his fitness and ability to stay injury free is diabolical. 
    Maybe on reflection the amount of effort put in by Taylor, Aneke, Washington, Bonne, Grant and  even Parker has affected my judgement of Stockley's work rate. I mean Stockley's goal return is certainly beyond most of theirs for less than half a season.
    It's not that you've been spoiled, it's that you're applying a role to Stockley that he isn't there to play. At the end of every match Stockley is absolutely knackered because he's put himself about all over the pitch. He doesn't do that via constant closing down though, instead he gets into physical battles all over the pitch. He's not quick and he's not blessed with massive stamina so he doesn't chase down lost causes that are across the other side of the pitch. Nor should he, he's generally got two wingers around him who should be doing that. If there's a player near him he puts him under pressure, and when the ball comes out of our defence he always shows for it, always gets it and fights for it, which is exhausting. His work rate is huge, he just doesn't chase lost causes miles away from him. Work rate isn't just running.
    The Morgan corner last night and the freekick last Saturday showed what we have been missing from deadballs and corners. With an accurate delivery we have players who are good enough to get on the end of the pass. Two assists, two goals - well done Albie!
  • Options
    In life, it's important to know when to stop repeating the same lines and arguments. If you don't keep on top of that, you will notice how little people tune in to what you say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Am I right in thinking when the ball was played across the box for Lincoln’s goal one of their players grabbed famewos shirt and spun him around or that’s what I thought I saw, I know he was having a rant at the linesman
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    LenGlover said:
    So it comes down to us needing to win on Sunday hopefully by a few goals and hope Portsmouth and Oxford don't win.
    Worst case we'll hopefully win 3-0 with Portsmouth losing by at least a goal, and Oxford by a few

That way if Portsmouth get an equaliser at the death, we'll still be above them on GD
    We will also be above them by a point irrespective of goal difference in that scenario.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Only way it can come to GD between us and Pompey is if we draw and they lose. If they lost by 2 and we drew we'd finish above them on goals scored (unless they lost something like 6-4 or 7-5). 
  • Options
    We can moan about their late goal,but we have just beaten a team 3-1 who people didnt give us a chance of beating.
  • Options
    Put it this way, we won't be getting into the play offs on GD, we have to do it on points. I just can't see both Oxford and Pompey failing to win. 
  • Options
    Put it this way, we won't be getting into the play offs on GD, we have to do it on points. I just can't see both Oxford and Pompey failing to win. 
    Pretty much how I see it. On the bright side, I won’t be disappointed as I have no expectations 
  • Options
    I reckon all three of us will be drawing on about 70 minutes. Then .................................!
  • Options
    Pretty much how I see it. On the bright side, I won’t be disappointed as I have no expectations 
    No same, I'm expecting nothing and if we squeeze in it will be fantastic.
  • Options
    The only thing we can affect is our own game against Hull, win that, then after that its out of our control.

However I don't imagine Pompey are relishing playing Accrington a tough game especially if they are put under pressure to win by us being in front against Hull.

Oxford you would expect to win with home advantage but Burton away form is better than their home form. They have only lost 6 games away.   In fact Burton haven't lost away in their last 10 away games.

Stranger things have happened on the last games of a season.  Lets hope we do the business, because it will be gutting if we don't win and the others do slip up.