Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Tues 4th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Almost a good call by some bloke on the match thread:

Stockley obvs stayed on and Aneke came on for Purr... But close. 
    Well no because you had Washington come on there for no one. I think 12 men is cheating...
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Taking Oxford out of the equation for a moment. What happens if we draw, Pompey lose and we both finish up with the same GD?
    Goals scored I would guess, not sure what the tie breaker is after that
    It’s goals scored so unless we drew 0-0 and Pompey lost 6-5 we would be in play offs.
    On this

if we won 5-0 (bear with me!!!) and Oxford win 1-0, we would finish level on gf, ga and points. Thanks ronnie!

would that mean a play off for the play off?
    Would go head to head, we drew 0-0 there, what was the score at our place?
    We won 2-0 didn't we? 
  • Options
    At least our aim for Sunday is very easy make sure we win. Already predicted the 102nd minute winner for Oxford on Sunday after we have won 3-0.
  • Options
    I think to make the goal difference scenario interesting we needed to win by a few more last night. JFH has the opportunity to do more for Charlton with another club than he did with us. I think Oxford thrashed Burton 5-1 in the away game. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing in the context of this game. 
  • Options
    Boom said:
    Didnt watch the game so no comment from me about it or the players, but now onto Sunday.......
    No comment?!? 

But Charlton beat those dirty cheating Covid conspirators who benefitted so much from not playing the original fixture?

You’ve been banging on about it for weeks. Thought you would be delighted happy mildly chuffed  slightly less miserable than normal.

Yes sorry......I should have commented on the fact that finally justice was done. That cheats never prosper (Sheff Wed hopefully proving that too) and that their sly Covid trick backfired on them. However, they are on the play offs which I doubt would have been the case had they not postponed 2 matches back in late March. 
    This is a completely conspiracy...

One that I know isn’t true but part of me can’t help but want to believe it.

Football really does play with my mind lol 
  • Options
    Adkins must have learned that Maatson is a waste of space as a wide attacking player - much better to use him as a left back. 
    I don't think this is right, I think the issue is that Maatsen is incredibly inconsistent. When Adkins first put Maatsen there out wide was man of the match against Doncaster and was excellent against Sunderland before getting injured. He injected a bit of pace and harrying down the right but he's faded since then. Before that he made a decent start at LB but then became a bit of a liability and people were asking for Purrington to come back in. He has good periods and bad periods, which is pretty typical for a 19 year old. At the moment with DJ out we're pretty desperate for pace out wide, so if we stick with the current formation it's him or Washington, and Washington is barely fit. Adkins might switch to 4-4-2 against Hull, though we would still be playing someone on the right slightly out of position. Bowyer used to play Gilbey in the wide position, which Adkins did yesterday, and once Maatsen (against Hull, which people are still upset about) so our options are fairly limited
  • Options
    I think the issue  with Maatson is that he doesn't beat players when he is marked and his passing is below average, whereas he can actually be more of an offensive force pushing up from the back.  
  • Options
    Maatsen is not a RM, he had one good half against Donny there and that’s about it. An ok left back, but not bothered about getting him back next season. 
  • Options
    Maatsen is not a RM, he had one good half against Donny there and that’s about it. An ok left back, but not bothered about getting him back next season. 
    Maatsen looked like a world beater initially, then had a patch where he looked non league and overall has been consistently inconsistent. Which for his age and inexperience you'd have to say is probably not unexpected but I wouldn't have him back.

To hearken back to the Powell team that won promotion, even a "bad" performance was rarely outright bad but just not quite working out for whatever reason. We need that sort of consistency again.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    I'm so tired of negative managers tearing our young players down mentally.

Not sure if this is a whoosh but perhaps Albie Morgan himself is the problem. If Adkins, who is the most positive man alive, is also saying similar things about him perhaps he still hasn't been taking on board what the managers have been telling him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loved to have seen how managers coped with Matt Le Tissiers workrate off the ball.

Fk it let the JFC, Gilbey do the donkey work, give Morgan the ball and stop trying to make everything go through Miller.

It was embarrassing to watch when millar first came the effort we went to to give him the ball when IMO Morgan is our best player in possession. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Stockley has 8 goals for us since January. With or without a strike partner if we can get him in permanently we should. People can talk about not liking the way we play with him all we want but that's a brilliant goal return. He's not the issue, the players around him are. We should improve those
    Was his ninth tonight
    The fact we could end the season with 3 strikers on 10+ goals is great. 
    Golfie won't be happy, though ....... he was right, predicting that none of our strikers would score 20 goals this season.

Shame that we couldn't have signed Stockley in September; or that Chuks could have been fit enough to play more minutes, even though he's scored 10 goals as sub. That's remarkable in itself.

Aneke is going to score 5 on Sunday though 😉

Being serious, a fit Aneke would have 100% scored 20 goals this season. It’s frustrating. 
    Yep, totally agree. In my round about way, that was my point.

• Options
    So it comes down to us needing to win on Sunday hopefully by a few goals and hope Portsmouth and Oxford don't win.
  • Options
    Very surprised at some if the views on Stockley! He's been excellent and we should 100% go all out to sign him in the summer. Chuks is another matter. He is clearly a superb footballer at this level, but can you really fill a squad place with a bloke who can barely play 30mins of football at full steam? I'd like to keep both, but it all comes down to budgets really. Great to take it to the last game, so credit to nigel for that. COYA
  • Options
    Perhaps that's the way to write off a promising 19 year old, learning his trade? :smile:

Seriously though, he's been thrown in the deep end, totally inexperienced, alongside a team that's been changing and unsettled for most of the season.
    Because he's a Chelsea player, perhaps our expectations have been higher than if he'd been home grown?

It's been a tough learning curve for him. 
    However, in the close season he gets the time to re-set and his Charlton experience will stand him in good stead for the rest of his career.

Plenty more to come from this lad.

• Options
    BFG94 said:
    Nerves already kicking in. Goodness knows what it will be like come Sunday.
    Relax, it’s unlikely we’ll get into the play-offs but it’s the hope that kills ya 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    BFG94 said:
    Nerves already kicking in. Goodness knows what it will be like come Sunday.
    Relax, it’s unlikely we’ll get into the play-offs but it’s the hope that kills ya 
    Do you know, I really detest this phrase haha

It was Mark Lawrenson on the telly many years ago that came up with this old cliche, wasn't it?
    Then everybody started parroting it.

Sure, there's a grain of truth in it.
    But without hope you're not even going to try.

And if you don't try, you don't even give yourself a chance.

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Maatsen looked like a world beater initially, then had a patch where he looked non league and overall has been consistently inconsistent. Which for his age and inexperience you'd have to say is probably not unexpected but I wouldn't have him back.

To hearken back to the Powell team that won promotion, even a "bad" performance was rarely outright bad but just not quite working out for whatever reason. We need that sort of consistency again.
    I think you are spot on with Maatsen but I'd definitely have him back. Imagine the raging boner we'd all have if he had come through our academy. He's only just turned 19 and I should get better and better. The benefit of having him as competition for Purrington is they are so different. Purrington is more solid and overall a better defender, stronger, bigger. But Maatsen has the pace and gives us the option to play 3 at the back or even as an attacking FB in a 4 if we are chasing the game. I think this season has been a big learning curve but is the sort of player that would really benefit from working under Adkins' positivity. 
  • Options
    great performance, probably all come a bit late and we now need divine intervention to make the plays offs .. IF we do, the biggest danger is Blackpool .. meaty, beaty big and tasty
  • Options
    I listened on local radio .. the commentators were very complimentary about our centre backs and Stockley 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    I'm so tired of negative managers tearing our young players down mentally.

Not sure if this is a whoosh but perhaps Albie Morgan himself is the problem. If Adkins, who is the most positive man alive, is also saying similar things about him perhaps he still hasn't been taking on board what the managers have been telling him. 
    Or is incapable of doing it.  If it was easy we would all be doing it. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Taking Oxford out of the equation for a moment. What happens if we draw, Pompey lose and we both finish up with the same GD?
    Goals scored I would guess, not sure what the tie breaker is after that
    It’s goals scored so unless we drew 0-0 and Pompey lost 6-5 we would be in play offs.
    On this

if we won 5-0 (bear with me!!!) and Oxford win 1-0, we would finish level on gf, ga and points. Thanks ronnie!

would that mean a play off for the play off?
    No, we go through on alphabetical order.  :smile:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    So it comes down to us needing to win on Sunday hopefully by a few goals and hope Portsmouth and Oxford don't win.
    Worst case we'll hopefully win 3-0 with Portsmouth losing by at least a goal, and Oxford by a few

That way if Portsmouth get an equaliser at the death, we'll still be above them on GD
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Worst case we'll hopefully win 3-0 with Portsmouth losing by at least a goal, and Oxford by a few

That way if Portsmouth get an equaliser at the death, we'll still be above them on GD
    Nailed on for Burton to miss a penalty on Sunday at 0-0.