Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Tues 4th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    Boom said:
    Didnt watch the game so no comment from me about it or the players, but now onto Sunday.......
    No comment?!? 

But Charlton beat those dirty cheating Covid conspirators who benefitted so much from not playing the original fixture?

You’ve been banging on about it for weeks. Thought you would be delighted happy mildly chuffed  slightly less miserable than normal.

Yes sorry......I should have commented on the fact that finally justice was done. That cheats never prosper (Sheff Wed hopefully proving that too) and that their sly Covid trick backfired on them. However, they are on the play offs which I doubt would have been the case had they not postponed 2 matches back in late March. 
  • Options
    2 minutes he was on the pitch and got an assist for a goal. 
    After 20 minutes on the pitch we were 3 up. 
    What does he have to do to get a start ?

4-4-2 attacking footy with 2 big guys up front and tricky wingers. 
    It’s not rocket technology Nads. 

Well done Chucks. 
    Adkins said post match that he wants to start him but the medical team keep advising against it

He's started a very small amount of games this season so its clearly not to do with the Manager
    He’s started 2 games and was sent off in one of them. Obviously a problem there, Adkins said physical but maybe he was being diplomatic? Stockley said Chuks needs to believe in his body more suggesting it’s in his head. Whatever it is he’s better being an impact sub than starting and being hauled off after 45/60 mins. Can you afford to carry such a player though?
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    I'm so tired of negative managers tearing our young players down mentally.

• Options
    Demonstrated how much more effective we are with two up top and that will not be lost on Nigel. An enjoyable win and I thought we needed 7 points going into the last 4 games, we could end up with 6 or 8. The kick in the nads has been that both Pompey and Oxford have picked up a point or two more than I thought they would. Could all flip around still and nice to be playing for something last game. 

Is Jayden a free agent this summer?
    The fact we are better with two up top isn’t lost on Adkins. But the fact is since he was appointed either Wash or Chuks have been injured, or indeed both at the same time, so Stockley has been his only option. He’s been forced to play a certain way and try to get positive results. If all three had been fit we wouldn’t have been playing one up top. Next season will be different. He obviously doesn’t fancy Schwartz though.
    You reckon? I thought the general consensus was that Adkins would go 433/4231? I think he'll prefer 3 in midfield although I don't disagree it's been the best option since he's been here regardless so doesn't necessarily mean it's the case longer term. 
  • Options
    I only watched the last 15 minutes as I woke up. Didn't believe it when I turned on the TV to see us 3-0 up! I watched us lose 1-0!

From that short period it was evident the two subs, Aneke and Morgan, were our liveliest and best players. Some of the others looked a bit tired. We need to get Morgan playing more often as it's an alternative to JFC with the dead ball and I think he's a better exponent in many ways buthe's often disappointed when he starts games.

I suppose I'll have to watch on Sunday now!
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    First and foremost a very good win, but I'm actually going to have a bit of a moan. Why did we stop playing after we went 3 nil up, Lincoln clearly didn't want to be there and had nothing to play for, an extra goal or 2 could be have been huge for Sunday's showdown and now we rely on both Oxford and Portsmouth not winning. If we would have conceded from an attacking style then fair enough shut up shop but not when in the ascendancy and instead we give a goal away trying to sit back and defend which we haven't be able to do all season. My next part to my moan is fucking idiots like Pratley and Aneke getting stupid bookings for time wasting or over the top challenges, this has to be one of the reasons why we concede so many late goals this season. Silly booking's meaning they cant put in that challenge in dying moments.
    A perfect precis.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    mendonca said:
    Albie was excellent. JFC needs to keep his game basic and play at intensity. It's so frustrating seeing him strut around as if he's better than he is. 
    Although Albie's impetuous attempt at an interception left a gaping hole that Lincoln exploited in the build up to their goal.
  • Options
    Boom said:
    Didnt watch the game so no comment from me about it or the players, but now onto Sunday.......
    No comment?!? 

But Charlton beat those dirty cheating Covid conspirators who benefitted so much from not playing the original fixture?

You’ve been banging on about it for weeks. Thought you would be delighted happy mildly chuffed  slightly less miserable than normal.

Yes sorry......I should have commented on the fact that finally justice was done. That cheats never prosper (Sheff Wed hopefully proving that too) and that their sly Covid trick backfired on them. However, they are on the play offs which I doubt would have been the case had they not postponed 2 matches back in late March. 
    If you really believe that, I'd suggest you need therapy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Almost a good call by some bloke on the match thread:

Stockley obvs stayed on and Aneke came on for Purr... But close. 
    Not close at all... you wanted to take off the bloke that scored our opener and changed the game! 

Glad you’re not in charge! 
    The player that changed the game? That was a mix of Morgan and Aneke mate.

I was correct that Aneke would come on and Purrington would go off bringing Maatsen to LB, I was half right. 

Stockley didn't go off for Washington
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Just checked and Hull’s trophy presentation will happen after our game. Urgh. 
    Have we given half the west stand to their fans?
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Will the Hull manager want revenge for us knocking Doncaster out the other year i wonder?
    He well might, but ultimately it boils down to the players. Let's just hope they've been on the piss all week.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Albie was excellent. JFC needs to keep his game basic and play at intensity. It's so frustrating seeing him strut around as if he's better than he is. 
    Morgan offers much more than Forster-Caskey. Genuinely struggle to relate to the 'gushing' that follows JFC around. A very mediocre player at this level.
    Think that's a bit harsh, I love Albie, but JFC is a bit better at the defensive side and is a bigger goal threat. Morgan is constantly improving and JFC is a good player for him to learn from this season. 

I believe Albie will be an important player next season. 
    Albie was an important player this season but wasn't played enough.

JFC slows any attacking build up we have like a stone with a 15 yds backwards pass.

JFC needs to know his strengths. Tries to do too much. Play him in the pratson on role. 
  • Options
    Demonstrated how much more effective we are with two up top and that will not be lost on Nigel. An enjoyable win and I thought we needed 7 points going into the last 4 games, we could end up with 6 or 8. The kick in the nads has been that both Pompey and Oxford have picked up a point or two more than I thought they would. Could all flip around still and nice to be playing for something last game. 

Is Jayden a free agent this summer?
    The fact we are better with two up top isn’t lost on Adkins. But the fact is since he was appointed either Wash or Chuks have been injured, or indeed both at the same time, so Stockley has been his only option. He’s been forced to play a certain way and try to get positive results. If all three had been fit we wouldn’t have been playing one up top. Next season will be different. He obviously doesn’t fancy Schwartz though.
    Chucks was an unused sub (not injured )for Adkins first 3 games - this is what I don’t get 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Boom said:
    No comment?!? 

I dunno, it was very, very conveniently timed...
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Boom said:
    No comment?!? 

I dunno, it was very, very conveniently timed...
    Only cases that particular week out of the whole EFL. None since anywhere.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Great to have something to play for - are we expecting Hull to still be post-party mood? they’ve been promoted for a while now.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It’s a minor thing but it bugs me too.  There’s nothing wrong with it, but to me, he models himself on Beckham or Pirlo.  He always looks for some sort of long 60 yard diagonal at some point in the game.  He’s got the odd decent ball in him, but he’s not of the ability where he can play like Beckham or Pirlo.  

I agree with Henry Irving a couple of posts up, I prefer Morgan.  He doesn’t always look for the Hollywood ball, but I think he’s much more direct and effective at distribution (not just at dead balls).  I’d love for Morgan to have a run of games next season.  I don’t know why managers seem to use him sparingly 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The second half was what I call trying to win the game. Had we really tried recently, and failed, I would have had no complaints. It isn't even an opposition I have to playing one up front, it is more about changing it quickly to a two when it isn't working. 

We probably have around a 30% chance now. Seeing as this is Charlton, it will probably be on for a while but events elsewhere will take it away from us. Oh those missed penalties and the late late equaliser for Crewe!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think that's the first game all season that I haven't watched. So let me now give you my opinion on how all the players performed...
  • Options
    Stockley does not run his bollocks off,but the amount of physical contact he endures during the game must be very  demanding,every time he challenges he gets clattered.Regarding Aneke,very frustrating we dont see more of him,but he has scored 15-16 goals from his limited time on the pitch,some very important.How can we say we dont need a player who score this many goals.A lot of strikers will score 20 from 35 games or more and consider they have had a great season.
    We have in my opinion,3 decent strikers,jury is out on Ronnie,Davison had a decent loan spell and could come good.On last nights showing,Albie could be the man to replicate what Cullen did,get some consistency and the team could be built around him.
  • Options
    Taking Oxford out of the equation for a moment. What happens if we draw, Pompey lose and we both finish up with the same GD?
  • Options
    Nerves already kicking in. Goodness knows what it will be like come Sunday.
  • Options
    Taking Oxford out of the equation for a moment. What happens if we draw, Pompey lose and we both finish up with the same GD?
    Goals scored I would guess, not sure what the tie breaker is after that
  • Options
    The goal we conceded late last night was a blow.
    We could have still made play offs with a draw (should Oxford and pompey lose) before that if my calculations were correct. 
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    Nerves already kicking in. Goodness knows what it will be like come Sunday.
    There is absolutely nothing to be nervous about. We will beat hull 3-0 on Sunday no problem. And we will finish in 8th place.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Goals scored I would guess, not sure what the tie breaker is after that
    It’s goals scored so unless we drew 0-0 and Pompey lost 6-5 we would be in play offs.