Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Tues 4th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stockley has 8 goals for us since January. With or without a strike partner if we can get him in permanently we should. People can talk about not liking the way we play with him all we want but that's a brilliant goal return. He's not the issue, the players around him are. We should improve those
    This totally.

It's so funny the number of people who have slagged Stockley off despite the fact he has scored 8 goals and he's played up front by himself for most of the recent games getting s**t kicked out of him by 3 defenders.

He should be our number one target to sign.
    Agree.

Some people havent got a scoob. StOcKlEy iS a DONkEy was a quote I see in the match thread and it seems to be a reoccurring theme to slag him off every game.

I'd be getting him signed up as soon as possible.
    When he's not on his game, he's really not adding anything

If we can ALWAYS play him with a partner he should start every game. 
    I could go all Schwartz here and say 'we arent playing to his strengths' when he isnt on his game

Every time I see him he works his nuts off and as you can see above his goal return isnt too bad considering he is playing in a team that a lot want to see the back of come the end of the season.

I'd say when he isnt on his game neither are the rest of his team mates.
    Works his nuts off? You sure? Chuks works his nuts off, Washington works his nuts off... Stockley though... No where near working them off. If he adds that to his game, I'd be singing his praises more.

I agree entirely about playing to a players strengths, Stockley should not be on his own.

In reference to Schwartz, the big difference is one of those players has had a proper chance, the other has had cameos. Stockley being a big lad will obviously get more chances when a manager prefers one up top. 

If we're looking at two up front next season (and if Adkins keeps Schwartz) I'd be excited to see our front four options as combinations of Aneke, Stockley, Washington, Schwartz with a new fresh fifth option. 

Is this satire? So hard to tell these days 
    It is not. Stockley does nowhere near the work of our other forward players. Sure he plays for longer, but his overall workrate is lower. I like Stockley, but I don't love Stockley in a 4-3-3 because he's too limited in terms of work rate and skill to do it every game. 

I'm happy for him to start alongside Chuks or Conor any day of the week. 

stockley is a target man, not a channel runner - for a target man, his work rate is very good 
    See that's a more fair argument. Chuks however is a target man and a channel runner. Just a shame his fitness and ability to stay injury free is diabolical. 
    Maybe on reflection the amount of effort put in by Taylor, Aneke, Washington, Bonne, Grant and  even Parker has affected my judgement of Stockley's work rate. I mean Stockley's goal return is certainly beyond most of theirs for less than half a season.
  • Options
    Fell asleep during the first half but the second half with the deadly duo of Chuks and Jayden meant that we stopped with the hoofing and played them into the game by playing football. We looked good at times.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stockley has 8 goals for us since January. With or without a strike partner if we can get him in permanently we should. People can talk about not liking the way we play with him all we want but that's a brilliant goal return. He's not the issue, the players around him are. We should improve those
    This totally.

It's so funny the number of people who have slagged Stockley off despite the fact he has scored 8 goals and he's played up front by himself for most of the recent games getting s**t kicked out of him by 3 defenders.

He should be our number one target to sign.
    Agree.

Some people havent got a scoob. StOcKlEy iS a DONkEy was a quote I see in the match thread and it seems to be a reoccurring theme to slag him off every game.

I'd be getting him signed up as soon as possible.
    When he's not on his game, he's really not adding anything

If we can ALWAYS play him with a partner he should start every game. 
    I could go all Schwartz here and say 'we arent playing to his strengths' when he isnt on his game

Every time I see him he works his nuts off and as you can see above his goal return isnt too bad considering he is playing in a team that a lot want to see the back of come the end of the season.

I'd say when he isnt on his game neither are the rest of his team mates.
    Works his nuts off? You sure? Chuks works his nuts off, Washington works his nuts off... Stockley though... No where near working them off. If he adds that to his game, I'd be singing his praises more.

I agree entirely about playing to a players strengths, Stockley should not be on his own.

In reference to Schwartz, the big difference is one of those players has had a proper chance, the other has had cameos. Stockley being a big lad will obviously get more chances when a manager prefers one up top. 

If we're looking at two up front next season (and if Adkins keeps Schwartz) I'd be excited to see our front four options as combinations of Aneke, Stockley, Washington, Schwartz with a new fresh fifth option. 

Is this satire? So hard to tell these days 
    It is not. Stockley does nowhere near the work of our other forward players. Sure he plays for longer, but his overall workrate is lower. I like Stockley, but I don't love Stockley in a 4-3-3 because he's too limited in terms of work rate and skill to do it every game. 

I'm happy for him to start alongside Chuks or Conor any day of the week. 

That’s not how you measure hard work. Sure he don’t run the channels as much as Washington, but that’s not his job. 

Jayden Stockley pushes his body to the absolute limit every game for 90 minutes. He’s constantly fighting two CB’s on his own to keep the ball and relieve pressure for the team - it wouldn’t surprise me if he has CTE later in life due to the way he plays. 

To say he doesn’t work his bollocks off is crazy talk.
    You've said it better than I could have.

As I've said before, I was a striker myself and ran around like a headless chicken chasing all 4 defenders down for as long as I could but I'm a skinny noodle and that work rate is different to a big lad like stockley fighting and using his strength for 90 minutes against 2 strong centre backs.
  • Options
    The frustration of inconsistency across the season. We can win and lose against everyone in this division and so can Portsmouth and Oxford so there is a chance, albeit a very small one, that this season isn’t over on Sunday. Whatever happens the club feels like it’s moving in the right direction, especially after a 3-1 win! 
  • Options
    Weird that you can't criticise a perceived shortcoming of a player without being accused of not rating them or not believing they're a good addition to the squad.

I like Jayden Stockley in a 2 up top. I do not think he does enough work to close players and has been until tonight extremely wasteful with the ball to feet.

I admit it is primarily the closing of players that bothers me, but as we saw today in a front pairing it's less of a problem and actually halves the work he has to do.

I have even admitted, I've been spoiled by the hard working forwards we've had over the years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have Hull had the trophy? Hope so. Makes Sunday even more meaningless if they’ve already done their celebrations and are instead working out which Greek island will be Covid green rather than bothering to do anything meaningful going forwards against us. 

I hope we bust a gut to keep Jayden and Matthews next year. 
  • Options
    how about
    Oxford loose
    Charlton draw
    Portsmouth loose by 2 goals
    then us and Pompey same points and same GD
    We have scored more. But if they score loads then it goes to head to head, which is even. So Portsmouth go up because they have won more games this season.  

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Didn't have the chance to watch tonight but I'm happy it looks like we played well whilst also winning. Hopefully we can win against Hull and get a miracle but cant see either happening.

I'm still frothing angry at the performance at Accrington and against Crewe but looking back our season was lost when Inniss got injured and we were shipping two goals a game for months on end. Could and should have got a centre back in January and that decision ultimately I feel is why we're consigned to another season in this division. 

Next year is going to be tough and whilst it would be nice to come top 2, realistically if we come top 6 I'd view it as a success and want us to keep faith in Adkins with a view to top 2 the season after being the minimum requirement.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Brownie's assessment of Fam and Innis was excellent. 

He picked up on areas that the average fan might have missed, or areas that we will all have missed while not watching live.
    Agreed, Famewo's judgement is sometimes a bit questionable as he has a tendency to dive in or chase the ball too much. Most of the time his pace enables him to compensate for positional errors. 

He'll improve with experience of course, but the last few weeks have shown why Norwich have loaned him out to L1 for the season.
  • Options
    A great performance well done.and well done Stockley and co.and Nigel !!
    only an idiot would not be able to see that our new manager and 75% of the team he has inherited 
    in time will be league Champions once more.
    I would hate to beat Hull on Saturday and due to Portsmouth stay out of the playoffs on goal difference, of course I want to win and win the playoffs which I feel we would if we got in them,
    but sadly I feel the Crewe draw has cost us ......

but this is Charlton Athletic so anything is possible 😂😂😂

• Options
    Didnt watch the game so no comment from me about it or the players, but now onto Sunday.......

We must start with a 4-4-2. If we can't trust Chuks to last 90 mins & prefer him as an "impact" sub then start with Stockley & Schwartz with Washington & Aneke on the bench. Schwartz might not have played any football for months but his job in the first half would be to finish any knock downs Stockley creates or simply to keep a defender busy. Then release Chuks in the 2nd half. It's a must must must win game & so no point fannying around with Pratley et al on the bench - so Shinnie is there instead. Need players who can create or score goals.

Also start Morgan instead of JFC. Morgan has had 2 vital assists within the past 4 days & a much better deliverer of a dead ball. 

Hope Sky put us on as well as the already confirmed Pompey v Accrington match - either on a main channel or via the red button. Even if they don't I probably won't watch the stream but watch Sky instead as they will hopefully switch from game to game when vital goals go in. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Just checked and Hull’s trophy presentation will happen after our game. Urgh. 
  • Options
    Pompey and Oxford won’t lose I think we will win but we’ve been architects of our own shortcomings - I find finishing 7/8th in this league not good enough with the squad we have.
    If we win, they'll both have to win to go above us. That equaliser on Saturday could end up important, as a draw now won't be good enough for Pompey if we can win
  • Options
    A straight forward final day, just once, that is all I ask!
  • Options
    Adkins on Aneke

https://t.co/6ZukQv6M72
  • Options
    Adkins on JFC injury

https://t.co/NY5uzxdEnn
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Albie was excellent. JFC needs to keep his game basic and play at intensity. It's so frustrating seeing him strut around as if he's better than he is. 
    Morgan offers much more than Forster-Caskey. Genuinely struggle to relate to the 'gushing' that follows JFC around. A very mediocre player at this level.
    While this is an extreme way to say it, I do agree that JFC is overrated amongst a large portion of our fanbase.

Morgan and Aneke superb today, completely changed the game.