Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Tues 4th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    That turnaround was unreal. 

We started the first 10 minutes well but from that moment we were under pressure and passing was sloppy... until the moment Morgan came on and boy was he was up for it.

He collected the ball from defence and didn't just ping any old hollywood ball he played it easy and calmly more often than not. It enabled Millar to get up and Gilbey to support Stockley which saw us to half time, though we were unlucky ourselves not to nick one as the half drew to a close. 

Second half Purrington was off and Maatsen regained the LB spot and we were something else as the BEAST came on to support Stockley... Bosh immediate effect Stockley slaps one in from a Chuks chest down, then Morgan with a pinpoint corner to Inniss and finally a side foot from Millar to allow Chuks to drill home. 

A mistake at the end, but nothing too costly. 

• Options
    Adkins just joked he’s going to kick Aneke up the arse because he should be playing 90 minutes. 
    He was going to get Schwartz to do it, but he missed.
    or...he was going to get Stockley to do it but he wanted to use his head.
  • Options
    Stockley has 8 goals for us since January. With or without a strike partner if we can get him in permanently we should. People can talk about not liking the way we play with him all we want but that's a brilliant goal return. He's not the issue, the players around him are. We should improve those
    Was his ninth tonight
    The fact we could end the season with 3 strikers on 10+ goals is great. 
    Golfie won't be happy, though ....... he was right, predicting that none of our strikers would score 20 goals this season.

Shame that we couldn't have signed Stockley in September; or that Chuks could have been fit enough to play more minutes, even though he's scored 10 goals as sub. That's remarkable in itself.

• Options
    Stockley has 8 goals for us since January. With or without a strike partner if we can get him in permanently we should. People can talk about not liking the way we play with him all we want but that's a brilliant goal return. He's not the issue, the players around him are. We should improve those
    This totally.

It's so funny the number of people who have slagged Stockley off despite the fact he has scored 8 goals and he's played up front by himself for most of the recent games getting s**t kicked out of him by 3 defenders.

He should be our number one target to sign.
    Agree.

Some people havent got a scoob. StOcKlEy iS a DONkEy was a quote I see in the match thread and it seems to be a reoccurring theme to slag him off every game.

I'd be getting him signed up as soon as possible.
    When he's not on his game, he's really not adding anything. 

If we can ALWAYS play him with a partner he should start every game. 
  • Options
    2 minutes he was on the pitch and got an assist for a goal. 
    After 20 minutes on the pitch we were 3 up. 
    What does he have to do to get a start ?

4-4-2 attacking footy with 2 big guys up front and tricky wingers. 
    It’s not rocket technology Nads. 

Well done Chucks. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Was his ninth tonight
    The fact we could end the season with 3 strikers on 10+ goals is great. 
    Aneke is top in goals per minute and Washington is in the top dozen. As has been the case through the past 2 years, injuries and injury prone players have undermined our chances. There have been long periods this season when we have had one proper fit centre back and one fit striker, no wonder we are where we are.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I suggested that Stockley was a donkey - wrong! but he does need support be it Chuks or Conor as on his own it just don't work. Before the match NA stated that he needed the right players in the right place at the right time, I wonder if the plan was to not concede in the 1st half and go for the win in the 2nd.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Almost a good call by some bloke on the match thread:

Stockley obvs stayed on and Aneke came on for Purr... But close. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

We started the first 10 minutes well but from that moment we were under pressure and passing was sloppy... until the moment Morgan came on and boy was he was up for it.

He collected the ball from defence and didn't just ping any old hollywood ball he played it easy and calmly more often than not. It enabled Millar to get up and Gilbey to support Stockley which saw us to half time, though we were unlucky ourselves not to nick one as the half drew to a close. 

Second half Purrington was off and Maatsen regained the LB spot and we were something else as the BEAST came on to support Stockley... Bosh immediate effect Stockley slaps one in from a Chuks chest down, then Morgan with a pinpoint corner to Inniss and finally a side foot from Millar to allow Chuks to drill home. 

It will be very costly if Oxford lose, we draw and Portsmouth lose by one goal. Lincoln's goal will make the difference between sixth and seventh place. I can just see this happening now.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    To coin a well used phrase " Well that was a game of two halves!!". Thought the first half was awful, not quite as bad a the game last Saturday but bloody close! The second half was completely different, Jayden had Chucks up alongside him, Millar had more to aim his passes/crosses at (in fact Millar looked a different player from the first 45 mins!). Maatsen, who I thought started well at the beginning of the season playing LB, seemed to be back to near his best in the second half in the same position, and Gilbey just gets better and better, what a delightful chip for the first goal that he put on Chucks head!
    Can we win on Sunday? Yes! Will we? Who bloody knows, but sadly I think even if we do, its too much to hope that Pompey and Oxford will both lose. However IF we can win on Sunday, even if other results go against us, it must give us great confidence for next season.
    Sadly I think its now too little too late, but Im really looking forward to next season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    This totally.

It's so funny the number of people who have slagged Stockley off despite the fact he has scored 8 goals and he's played up front by himself for most of the recent games getting s**t kicked out of him by 3 defenders.

He should be our number one target to sign.
    Agree.

Some people havent got a scoob. StOcKlEy iS a DONkEy was a quote I see in the match thread and it seems to be a reoccurring theme to slag him off every game.

I'd be getting him signed up as soon as possible.
    When he's not on his game, he's really not adding anything

If we can ALWAYS play him with a partner he should start every game. 
    I could go all Schwartz here and say 'we arent playing to his strengths' when he isnt on his game

Every time I see him he works his nuts off and as you can see above his goal return isnt too bad considering he is playing in a team that a lot want to see the back of come the end of the season.

I'd say when he isnt on his game neither are the rest of his team mates.
  • Options
    Two ways as ever, the easy way and the Charlton way. Real positives are that the penny is dropping that if you need a win get 2 up front and press into the final third. Not having to use Washington kind of works in our favour too as we could need a different dynamic to get something from Hull and having him fresh could give us that. Obvious negatives are the silly bookings and conceding when we could have maybe gone for another goal. No point in dwelling on the plethora of things that have left us in this position but let's hope we just give it a go on Sunday and see how things pan out from there. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

It will be very costly if Oxford lose, we draw and Portsmouth lose by one goal. Lincoln's goal will make the difference between sixth and seventh place. I can just see this happening now.
    No it won't we can look at so many goals we have conceded needlessly if we don't go up it's dropped points like Crewe or points we should have had in the bag like Oxford that are the issue.

Conceding one goal to the team in third as we slap them 3-1 wasn't the problem over the course of the season.

Stop with your miserable spin. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

On the other hand, if we win and the other 2 lose or draw, goal difference will not matter.
  • Options
    Demonstrated how much more effective we are with two up top and that will not be lost on Nigel. An enjoyable win and I thought we needed 7 points going into the last 4 games, we could end up with 6 or 8. The kick in the nads has been that both Pompey and Oxford have picked up a point or two more than I thought they would. Could all flip around still and nice to be playing for something last game. 

Is Jayden a free agent this summer?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Albie was excellent. JFC needs to keep his game basic and play at intensity. It's so frustrating seeing him strut around as if he's better than he is. 
    Morgan offers much more than Forster-Caskey. Genuinely struggle to relate to the 'gushing' that follows JFC around. A very mediocre player at this level.
    I’ve never been a fanboy of JFC but that’s unfair on him. He’s had a decent season, when fit. 
    Yes he’s done ok, but has gone off of the boil a bit last 4/5 games. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Demonstrated how much more effective we are with two up top and that will not be lost on Nigel. An enjoyable win and I thought we needed 7 points going into the last 4 games, we could end up with 6 or 8. The kick in the nads has been that both Pompey and Oxford have picked up a point or two more than I thought they would. Could all flip around still and nice to be playing for something last game. 

Is Jayden a free agent this summer?
    Signed 3.5 year deal with Preston in 2019
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Looking at Lincoln, they may have secured a play off place, but in last 10 games, they’ve lost to us, Hull and Oxford, while drawing with Peterborough, Blackpool and Sunderland. The other 4 games were wins but all against sides outside top 9.