Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Tues 4th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    My wife and I are now going to have to bail out of Sunday’s walk with our local ramblers group. That’s a shame because, as you know, walking is good for you. However, needs must if there is even the faintest glimmer of hope.
  • Options
    To coin a well used phrase " Well that was a game of two halves!!". Thought the first half was awful, not quite as bad a the game last Saturday but bloody close! The second half was completely different, Jayden had Chucks up alongside him, Millar had more to aim his passes/crosses at (in fact Millar looked a different player from the first 45 mins!). Maatsen, who I thought started well at the beginning of the season playing LB, seemed to be back to near his best in the second half in the same position, and Gilbey just gets better and better, what a delightful chip for the first goal that he put on Chucks head!
    Can we win on Sunday? Yes! Will we? Who bloody knows, but sadly I think even if we do, its too much to hope that Pompey and Oxford will both lose. However IF we can win on Sunday, even if other results go against us, it must give us great confidence for next season.
    Sadly I think its now too little too late, but Im really looking forward to next season. 
    If we win we don't need them to lose. Lose or draw would be fine.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    "Chuks needs to have confidence in his body"
    Said Jayden Stockley.

"is it psychological" ?  asks Scott Minto to Nigel Adkins.

"No it's it's physical."

"He has only started two matches and he's a impact sub". Really ? There was me thinking he was our number 1 striker with 14 goals from about 18 matches if you add all the minutes up.

Back, thigh, groin, ?  It's a mystery and has cost us big time.

Chuks was superb but daft tonight. His  booking was so ridiculous. The 4th official did us a favour tonight. At least Chuks should be fit to play 15 minutes when we are two down to Hull on Saturday.
  • Options
    Demonstrated how much more effective we are with two up top and that will not be lost on Nigel. An enjoyable win and I thought we needed 7 points going into the last 4 games, we could end up with 6 or 8. The kick in the nads has been that both Pompey and Oxford have picked up a point or two more than I thought they would. Could all flip around still and nice to be playing for something last game. 

Is Jayden a free agent this summer?
    Signed 3.5 year deal with Preston in 2019
    Cheers - so a fee necessary and I for one hope he is a perm come the summer. 
    I expect they will want to have another look at him especially if he continues to score on Sunday. 
  • Options
    I can't believe some people, why would you be unhappy when we've won it tonight. This is what football is all about! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Great entertainment tonight. Looking forward to Sunday. Hope for a win and not going out with a whimper.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    That turnaround was unreal. 

We started the first 10 minutes well but from that moment we were under pressure and passing was sloppy... until the moment Morgan came on and boy was he was up for it.

He collected the ball from defence and didn't just ping any old hollywood ball he played it easy and calmly more often than not. It enabled Millar to get up and Gilbey to support Stockley which saw us to half time, though we were unlucky ourselves not to nick one as the half drew to a close. 

Second half Purrington was off and Maatsen regained the LB spot and we were something else as the BEAST came on to support Stockley... Bosh immediate effect Stockley slaps one in from a Chuks chest down, then Morgan with a pinpoint corner to Inniss and finally a side foot from Millar to allow Chuks to drill home. 

A mistake at the end, but nothing too costly. 

It will be very costly if Oxford lose, we draw and Portsmouth lose by one goal. Lincoln's goal will make the difference between sixth and seventh place. I can just see this happening now.
    No it won't we can look at so many goals we have conceded needlessly if we don't go up it's dropped points like Crewe or points we should have had in the bag like Oxford that are the issue.

Conceding one goal to the team in third as we slap them 3-1 wasn't the problem over the course of the season.

Stop with your miserable spin. 
    Miserable spin, lol. I'm just pointing out the error in saying 'nothing too costly'. Of course it's no more costly than any other goal we've let in all season. The issue here is that with 120 minutes left of the season a Portsmouth one goal defeat could have done the job but that's no longer the case with 90 minutes left.
  • Options
    stockley seemed to infer that it was chucks dictating how much game time he could manage which is why minto asked if it was psychological - adkins said there was a physical reason but did also say that he felt like shaking chucks and saying come on so that backs up that its chucks dictating what he can and can't do - explains things a bit but is pretty sad really and no good to build a team around for next year which is a shame coz he is a big threat - i know some do but i really can't see how people can question stockley's work rate - his commitment has been top draw. i know lincoln weren't massively at it but the introduction of chucks and morgan meant we suddenly had an overload of players who could threaten - if only we'd tried that a bit more this year - god knows whats happened to shinnie ??? any ideas anybody???  
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stockley has 8 goals for us since January. With or without a strike partner if we can get him in permanently we should. People can talk about not liking the way we play with him all we want but that's a brilliant goal return. He's not the issue, the players around him are. We should improve those
    This totally.

It's so funny the number of people who have slagged Stockley off despite the fact he has scored 8 goals and he's played up front by himself for most of the recent games getting s**t kicked out of him by 3 defenders.

He should be our number one target to sign.
    Agree.

Some people havent got a scoob. StOcKlEy iS a DONkEy was a quote I see in the match thread and it seems to be a reoccurring theme to slag him off every game.

I'd be getting him signed up as soon as possible.
    When he's not on his game, he's really not adding anything

If we can ALWAYS play him with a partner he should start every game. 
    I could go all Schwartz here and say 'we arent playing to his strengths' when he isnt on his game

Every time I see him he works his nuts off and as you can see above his goal return isnt too bad considering he is playing in a team that a lot want to see the back of come the end of the season.

I'd say when he isnt on his game neither are the rest of his team mates.
    Works his nuts off? You sure? Chuks works his nuts off, Washington works his nuts off... Stockley though... No where near working them off. If he adds that to his game, I'd be singing his praises more.

I agree entirely about playing to a players strengths, Stockley should not be on his own.

In reference to Schwartz, the big difference is one of those players has had a proper chance, the other has had cameos. Stockley being a big lad will obviously get more chances when a manager prefers one up top. 

If we're looking at two up front next season (and if Adkins keeps Schwartz) I'd be excited to see our front four options as combinations of Aneke, Stockley, Washington, Schwartz with a new fresh fifth option. 

Is this satire? So hard to tell these days 
    It is not. Stockley does nowhere near the work of our other forward players. Sure he plays for longer, but his overall workrate is lower. I like Stockley, but I don't love Stockley in a 4-3-3 because he's too limited in terms of work rate and skill to do it every game. 

I'm happy for him to start alongside Chuks or Conor any day of the week. 

• Options
    Am amazed that people think a promotion challenge can be built around a half fit striker. Can't see next seasons team resembling anything like this lot. They aren't good enough and a lot of them are in the twilight of their careers. Fair play to Adkins, as he at least got them to produce a run of form that put them in with a chance of top six. Busy summer let's see what they bring in. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    That turnaround was unreal. 

We started the first 10 minutes well but from that moment we were under pressure and passing was sloppy... until the moment Morgan came on and boy was he was up for it.

He collected the ball from defence and didn't just ping any old hollywood ball he played it easy and calmly more often than not. It enabled Millar to get up and Gilbey to support Stockley which saw us to half time, though we were unlucky ourselves not to nick one as the half drew to a close. 

Second half Purrington was off and Maatsen regained the LB spot and we were something else as the BEAST came on to support Stockley... Bosh immediate effect Stockley slaps one in from a Chuks chest down, then Morgan with a pinpoint corner to Inniss and finally a side foot from Millar to allow Chuks to drill home. 

A mistake at the end, but nothing too costly. 

It will be very costly if Oxford lose, we draw and Portsmouth lose by one goal. Lincoln's goal will make the difference between sixth and seventh place. I can just see this happening now.
    No it won't we can look at so many goals we have conceded needlessly if we don't go up it's dropped points like Crewe or points we should have had in the bag like Oxford that are the issue.

Conceding one goal to the team in third as we slap them 3-1 wasn't the problem over the course of the season.

Stop with your miserable spin. 
    Miserable spin, lol. I'm just pointing out the error in saying 'nothing too costly'. Of course it's no more costly than any other goal we've let in all season. The issue here is that with 120 minutes left of the season a Portsmouth one goal defeat could have done the job but that's no longer the case with 90 minutes left.

Portsmouth win - Game over Oxford and Charlton do not make the playoffs.
    Portsmouth lose or draw, oxford draw, charlton draw Oxford make the playoffs
    Portsmouth lose or draw, oxford win, Charlton win but fail to move above oxford on GD (score 5 more than Oxford)- Oxford make the playoffs.
    Portsmouth lose or draw, Oxford lose or draw - Charlton win - We unexpectedly make the playoffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Against Sunderland JF-C was fantastic, channelling Cullen. I've never liked the more natural, languid JF-C as he seems to miss-pass too much. Win the ball and pass it simple bro. Meanwhile Albie is beginning to make his mark. We need more of our own in the team. Maybe Henry will make the squad next season?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stockley has 8 goals for us since January. With or without a strike partner if we can get him in permanently we should. People can talk about not liking the way we play with him all we want but that's a brilliant goal return. He's not the issue, the players around him are. We should improve those
    This totally.

It's so funny the number of people who have slagged Stockley off despite the fact he has scored 8 goals and he's played up front by himself for most of the recent games getting s**t kicked out of him by 3 defenders.

Agree.

Some people havent got a scoob. StOcKlEy iS a DONkEy was a quote I see in the match thread and it seems to be a reoccurring theme to slag him off every game.

I could go all Schwartz here and say 'we arent playing to his strengths' when he isnt on his game

Every time I see him he works his nuts off and as you can see above his goal return isnt too bad considering he is playing in a team that a lot want to see the back of come the end of the season.

Works his nuts off? You sure? Chuks works his nuts off, Washington works his nuts off... Stockley though... No where near enough. If he adds that to his game, I'd be singing his praises more.

I agree entirely about playing to a players strengths, Stockley should not be on his own.

In reference to Schwartz, the big difference is one of those players has had a proper chance, the other has had cameos. Stockley being a big lad will obviously get more chances when a manager prefers one up top. 

If we're looking at two up front next season (and if Adkins keeps Schwartz) I'd be excited to see our front four options as combinations of Aneke, Stockley, Washington, Schwartz with a new fresh fifth option. 

Stockley doesn't work his nuts off 🤦‍♂️

Ok we will have to agree to disagree. All I will say is Stockley must be doing something right to be starting week in week out.

A lot of people on this forum must be incredibly unfit or lazy if they think Stockley is *that* hard a worker. He works hard, but not so much that I'd say he works his nuts off. 

Plus He's our only fit striker that can (although as we have seen, probably shouldn't have to) play up front in a 4-3-3 and is the headmaster.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    What a load of utter b*llocks. Adkins being hailed as a "genius" for his "managerial masterstroke" bringing Chuks on... more like a happy clappy scouse airhead, if you'd bothered to f*cking play the fella since you've been manager tonight would've been a dead rubber cos we'd be in 3rd or 4th spot! 

Infuriating load more rubbish hoofing first half, then surprise surprise we actually look a threat soon as we bring somebody able to have a shot on.. would've rather got tonked tonight now I still have to even entertain bloody Sunday even though there clearly isn't a bat in hells chance of us actually doing anything

excruciating
    Angriest post I’ve ever seen after a 3-1 win. Bizarre. 
    Feels like some people don't listen to the manager, or they simply want him to fail.

@paulsturgess
    1. Adkins is being advised to Not start Chuks & to limit his playing time if he is used
    2. He knows a lot more about football management and injury management than most on here ever will. You do not know more than him about how much Chuks can play. 
    3. I hope this is a whoosh.

It's being missed by many but it was a combination of Morgan and Aneke that changed the game, Morgan immediately steadied things coming on when we were making sloppy passes and became the short pass option all over the pitch, reducing the pressure to play wasteful balls up to Stockley. 

Not at all, want him to succeed and crucially want Charlton to succeed (please see "are you bothered if we don't go up thread"!!) But yes @stoneroses19 angry and frustrated hence the semi tongue in cheek aggression... took no pleasure out of a meaningless 3-1 win

which just made me angry about the fact that:

despite a load of erratic half arsed players, we could and should have been comfortably in the play offs if it wasn't for quite a lot of, in my opinion, pretty poor managerial decisions across the course of the season from both Bow and Adkins. On points 1 and 2, he clearly knows more about injury management than me. But he's misjudged this, as he's kept Aneke fit but we finish in midtable and don't make the play offs.... he should have been used better - as should Morgan IMO, who as you rightly point out made a huge difference today as well

we've played a front 6 in some must win games without a single player who can or even ever tries to shoot... so frustrating!!!

all that said I'm not really "Angry" with any one specific player or manager... just thoroughly frustrated and still not over the fact we're even in this position... 

fuck league one
    fuck roland
    fuck esi
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    This totally.

Agree.

Works his nuts off? You sure? Chuks works his nuts off, Washington works his nuts off... Stockley though... No where near working them off. If he adds that to his game, I'd be singing his praises more.

Is this satire? So hard to tell these days 
    It is not. Stockley does nowhere near the work of our other forward players. Sure he plays for longer, but his overall workrate is lower. I like Stockley, but I don't love Stockley in a 4-3-3 because he's too limited in terms of work rate and skill to do it every game. 

I'm happy for him to start alongside Chuks or Conor any day of the week. 

stockley is a target man, not a channel runner - for a target man, his work rate is very good 
    See that's a more fair argument. Chuks however is a target man and a channel runner. Just a shame his fitness and ability to stay injury free is diabolical. 
  • Options
    ....and there I was thinking this might be a fun and positive thread tonight.

Shall we turn it into an Open Charlton thread.
  • Options
    how about
    Oxford loose
    Charlton draw
    Portsmouth loose by 2 goals
    then us and Pompey same points and same GD
  • Options
    I think Stockley does a helluva lot of work for a big man lone striker personally.