Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• RedRobin said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Scott Fraser would be an amazing signing... tore us a new one this season
    Yeah but you know if he signs for us it won’t take him long to be charltonised like every other good player we sign! 
    Oh dear oh dear....how negative can one get?
    🙁
  • Do people on here not slightly overrate Scott Fraser? He's a good player but I feel like a lot of eggs are being put in the 'must sign him' basket. He was very good against us once this season, and then was completely marked out of the second game by Darren Pratley who many felt wasn't good enough to play for us anymore. I'd be happy if we got Fraser but I think his performance against us at The Valley has had some overstate his brilliance. Kind of reminds me of when we were linked with Danny Green, people were absolutely fixated on us signing him and he went on to be...ok. Basically, I don't think we should put too much pressure on this signing, there are others out there if the deal isn't right
    He won MKDons players player of the year and community ambassador of the year.  Fans player of the year I think he was second after Lewington.  Seems promising although I note their fans did also vote their team performance of the year being the game v us so you may be right about us over rating him.
    Amazingly after nearly 20 years, that was the first POTY award Lewington has won!

https://www.mkdons.com/news/2021/may/lewington-named-player-of-the-year/

Looking at the awards, the fans voted their win over us as the best performance of the season. Yes they were great that day, but it suggests they weren't always that good
  • Do people on here not slightly overrate Scott Fraser? He's a good player but I feel like a lot of eggs are being put in the 'must sign him' basket. He was very good against us once this season, and then was completely marked out of the second game by Darren Pratley who many felt wasn't good enough to play for us anymore. I'd be happy if we got Fraser but I think his performance against us at The Valley has had some overstate his brilliance. Kind of reminds me of when we were linked with Danny Green, people were absolutely fixated on us signing him and he went on to be...ok. Basically, I don't think we should put too much pressure on this signing, there are others out there if the deal isn't right
    He won MKDons players player of the year and community ambassador of the year.  Fans player of the year I think he was second after Lewington.  Seems promising although I note their fans did also vote their team performance of the year being the game v us so you may be right about us over rating him.
    He's definitely a good player in a good time in his career, and 14 goals from midfield is impressive, but yes, I doubt many have seen him play much more extensively than against us that time. I hope we get him, but he's not Messi
  • I think when the manager has said along the lines of, we are looking to do our business early, we want to have our signings in for the start of pre season training, we need more energy in the team & are looking to bring in younger players & play a high pressing game & that will be us next year as Hull cavorted on the pitch & the owner tells us we will blow this division away next season, you tend to think/hope targets are lined up ready to sign as in the Chris Powell revolution. So far the only signing has been the impressive Stockley but he was on the verge of signing for Pompey if you believe the Pompey chiefs posts.

Look at some of the appalling performances from last season & yet the majority of those players will still be at the club this coming season if those offered new contracts sign on.

It's still early days for sure & plenty can happen between now & the start of the season but I have to admit I thought we would have seen 2 or 3 coming in by now. Not bedwetting but have taken the plastic sheets out of the drawer just in case.
    Sure, but it was a different manager then. A new manager in place now, and he orchestrated a strong finish to the season with the same squad that he inherited from Bowyer.

Bring in the players that the management consider enhances the squad ...... and it's "Start again. The sun is shining. The birds are singing."
    Maybe that will be the mood of the squad also?

He's definitely a good player in a good time in his career, and 14 goals from midfield is impressive, but yes, I doubt many have seen him play much more extensively than against us that time. I hope we get him, but he's not Messi
    I do get what you mean and if he did sign then he'd probably get hyped beyond all realistic levels but signing another club's POTS would still be a fairly strong statement signing.

Plus even if he doesn't manage the same heights as last season, I'd hope between him and Gilbey we'd be seeing at least a few goals from midfield which is a definite bonus.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shine166 said:
    Scoham said:
    shine166 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Doesn't seem much like we're building anything new at this stage.
    No one moaned about Cullen or DeSilva returning in loan few times .. 
    1. It's a perspective not a moan.

2. We have been told we're rebuilding, it's not a reach to expect that to mean a number of new signings, not the same ones that were part of a failed squad last season.

I don't mind either or both of them rejoining as don't think we'll get much better at this level.

So far the only players openly mentioned as targets were all here last season on loan and only one has actually signed a permanent deal.

Fwiw I think Millar and Maatsen will join championship sides.

But if Adkins would have been here 1 month earlier, they would probably have been part of a squad that at the very least made the playoffs. 
    Probably not, we won under Jackson and Bowyer won 2 and drew 2 of his last 4, and that came after that terrible performance against Blackpool.
    I wouldn't over analyse what I said 😅, just making a point of how close we were to not being a 'failed' squad. 
    Being loved or loathed is a fine line.  If we had lost to Donny on pens that team would have still been much more loved than the team that lost to Swindon in similar circumstances.

Despite missing out on goal difference this is a better squad (when the season ended) than the one that got beaten by Shrewsbury.  It didn't take a revolution to transform that.  2 or 3 shrewd signings and 2 or 3 quality loans. 
    Agree. Some people seem to forget that we've already got some very decent footballers.

Okay, we need some numbers in to increase the squad ....... but squad building is about the right blend of players to compliment what we already have.
    Competition for places will give players the edge they need to perform at their best.

And Prem loanees are young, and bring pace and energy to the squad - even if they can only be signed late in the window.

PS: Note the Oxford comma. :wink::smile:

Its a comma separating two clauses, not a list, and if omitted does not confuse the meaning, so not an Oxford comma  ;)
    Very good, Dipps. You're right, of course. I was just about to tidy up what I had written, before remembering last nights discussion on this thread and left it as it was for a bit of fun. It seems to have passed over everybody else's head! :smile:

No it didn’t 
  • GoalkeeperRob Elliot
    DefenderChris Solly
    DefenderMatt Taylor
    Defender/Centre backMichael Morrison
    MidfielderDanny Hollands
    MidfielderJohnnie Jackson
    MidfielderDale Stephens
    Midfielder/ForwardScott Wagstaff
    ForwardPaul Hayes
    ForwardBradley Wright-Phillips

This is the team we kicked off the Powell (automatic) promotion year with on August 6. Kermogant and Hamer were the only really important additions to the side after that date, in terms of appearances.
    We have a long way to go to be anywhere near this in 7 weeks time.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Do people on here not slightly overrate Scott Fraser? He's a good player but I feel like a lot of eggs are being put in the 'must sign him' basket. He was very good against us once this season, and then was completely marked out of the second game by Darren Pratley who many felt wasn't good enough to play for us anymore. I'd be happy if we got Fraser but I think his performance against us at The Valley has had some overstate his brilliance. Kind of reminds me of when we were linked with Danny Green, people were absolutely fixated on us signing him and he went on to be...ok. Basically, I don't think we should put too much pressure on this signing, there are others out there if the deal isn't right
    Yup totally agree, if one off games against us counted for everything Jan Åge Fjørtoft and Ricky Otto would have won the Ballon d'Or.

He would be a very good signing for us IMO but we won't get promoted just because we sign him, neither will we not get promoted of we don't sign him. 
    Don't forget Marco Gabbiadini.

It's all subjective.  I think we made a lot of ordinary sides look good lat season, which in turn lead to us after games say things like 'I wouldn't mind so and so, or he would be a good addition'.

I simply don't watch enough football outside of us to pass judgement on the likes of Scott Fraser.  I have no idea if he is capable of being in a promotion winning team
  • Southbank said:

This is the team we kicked off the Powell (automatic) promotion year with on August 6. Kermogant and Hamer were the only really important additions to the side after that date, in terms of appearances.
    We have a long way to go to be anywhere near this in 7 weeks time.
    We also have seven weeks to get there. 
  • I'd add to that I think we overrate some of our own players quite a bit as well

• Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    I'd add to that I think we overrate some of our own players quite a bit as well

I think almost all our players, for as long as I can remember, are either well over rated or well under rated.

Very few of the players we have had are significantly better, or worse, than most of their team mates.  Obviously there are exceptions but almost all our players are portraited as the next Pele or "Dog Shit" when most of them are alright or pretty good. 
  • I haven't really read that so much as we're trying actively to get those two. I feel like Adkins was asked about them and said that he'd be happy to have them back on loan but it's not something being pursued. I'm not expecting to see them back, and I seem to remember we were paying quite a lot for Maatsen so might not be the best use of our budget if we can get a permanent player not on Chelsea wages in
    Were we paying Maatsens wages? I assumed Chelsea were paying them. Sports salaries had him listed at  £8k per week.
    I liked him ...but at that price......?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Let's put it all into context, this is the midfield, defence, and bench from the 1st game of the 18/19 season.  We didn't even fill the bench.  The positions are a bit out but does anyone think we will start next season in the same position?  Remember we got promoted that season! 

Difference that season was the ownership issues - I would be massively disappointed if we don't have the full squad basically sorted for the start of the season.
    This with bells on ! 

I might seem pessimistic to some but in the 18/19 season we had an owner who couldn't give a shit & would like to have sold the club if someone was daft enough to pay him upwards of £50m for it and so was loathe to spend any money on players. In the 19/20 season we were under a transfer embargo from January 2020, which lasted most of of summer transfer window of the 20/21 season.

This season we have an a owner who has publicly said that we are going to "blow through League 1" and has said that he has a 5 year plan to get into the Premiership. You don't do that without spending significant money - either on fees or wages.....or both.
    Just remember that they have already said they’re saving a couple of spots till the end of the window because that’s often when some previously unattainable people become available because their parent clubs want them to go and get first team football or want them off the books. It means that the squad definitely won’t be complete till after the start of the campaign.
  • SamE7 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Wigan have signed Max Power today to follow up the signing of Cousins yesterday… they could be a real problem next season 

… and it’s means that ‘spotty kid on Twitter’ that everyone was knocking is at least 25% right so far 👍🏼
    I don’t rate him at all and neither did the Sunderland fans the last two seasons . 
    Cousins and Power …..blimey can you imagine reaction if we brought them !!!!!

Would not worry to much about Wigan if this is the level of player there getting 
    BOUGHT !!!!!!!!!!
    They haven't bought either of them have they?  They have however brought them in. 
    just no - happy to have the discussion - depends how bored u r 

YOU !!!!!!!!!!
    ARE !!!!!!!!!!

Also, while we're policing grammar; incorrect use of hyphens. You should have gone for, 'Just no. Happy to have the discussion, depends how bored you are.'
    Brought/bought isn’t policing grammar, it’s highlighting stupidity? a bad education? I’m not sure exactly what but it’s not grammar. 
  • edited June 2021
    Not sure why people are worried.  Stockley chose Charlton over other clubs, as he was probably told that we would be building a squad to win promotion, and build a team around him as the main man.  They may already know that Millar and Famewo are coming back on loan next season.  I would suspect other players will be happy to sign, when they see the intent we have, by signing Stockley.   WE ARE GOING UP!
    Did Del Boy sell you a box load of rose tinted glasses ???

To talk about they "may already know that Millar & Famewo are coming back on loan" is just pie in the sky. Gallen has already said, and its also very common, that Premier League loanees don't generally join clubs until close to the transfer deadline  - certainly not in June or even July. Liverpool & Norwich would not have given CAFC any prior "heads-up" or verbal agreement this so far from the start of the season. 

The thing I am clinging onto atm is that we are looking at players that other clubs are looking, and haggling, after....ie, good ones under contract that will incur a fee. And is maybe why we haven't yet signed any out of contract players.....although a lot of that is probably down to the player   1) still being paid by his current club & therefore in no rush to sign for anyone else  and 2) still mulling over a few offers & until they stop being paid & pre-season starts (July) then we wont see too many of those moving clubs.

As I said - I'm not panicking YET. I'm hoping that by the start of July we would have brought in another 2 or 3, with the same number coming in before the season starts. Then 4 or 5 loans before the end of August, making around 10 -12 in total. 
  • Wibble 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Let's put it all into context, this is the midfield, defence, and bench from the 1st game of the 18/19 season.  We didn't even fill the bench.  The positions are a bit out but does anyone think we will start next season in the same position?  Remember we got promoted that season! 

Difference that season was the ownership issues - I would be massively disappointed if we don't have the full squad basically sorted for the start of the season.
    Yes I get that, what I am saying is that what we had at the start of the season.  Pratley hadn't been here 48 hours either and we still went up.

To say "if we don't have all 20-25 players in place at the start of the season we will throw promotion away" is wrong.  I am presenting the evidence. 
    I totally agree with you.

The fact that the season is 46 games, & there are a number of teams over the past few seasons in this division, who have had slow starts, but then built momentum to finish in promotion or play off positions.

Our start in 18/19 wasn't great, but we did that very same thing. 
  • cabbles said:
    I'd add to that I think we overrate some of our own players quite a bit as well

Not as much as we overrate our former players ;) 
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCsayer said:
    Scott Fraser would be an amazing signing... tore us a new one this season
    In the 1st game he did, pratley sorted him in the second to be fair.
  • A name that hasn’t been mentioned is George Dobson. Was at Wimbledon last season and has been released by Sunderland. Good young defensive midfielder, Wimbledon have offered him a deal but think he’s going elsewhere. 
  • RedRobin said:
    A name that hasn’t been mentioned is George Dobson. Was at Wimbledon last season and has been released by Sunderland. Good young defensive midfielder, Wimbledon have offered him a deal but think he’s going elsewhere. 

He's  Welsh as well!
  • RedRobin said:
    A name that hasn’t been mentioned is George Dobson. Was at Wimbledon last season and has been released by Sunderland. Good young defensive midfielder, Wimbledon have offered him a deal but think he’s going elsewhere. 

Didn't realise he was on loan or now on a free. Would be a good signing. Young and already shown he can perform in L1, hope we are looking at him.
  • alangee said:
    RedRobin said:

He's  Welsh as well!
    Cant really hold that against him
  • Jac_52 said:
    RedRobin said:

Didn't realise he was on loan or now on a free. Would be a good signing. Young and already shown he can perform in L1, hope we are looking at him.

Same agent as Ben Amos and Scott Fraser it should be noted.
  • alangee said:
    RedRobin said:

He's  Welsh as well!
    Haha! Surely he’s been touted to us it’ll be interesting if he’s one we are looking at. 
  • Solomon-otabor anybody has been linked.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!