Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Maccn05 said:

The spotty kid that everyone said was wrong on Cousens etc. Reckons Wigan are getting Rochdale’s Humphry’s.

I don’t know if this spending is manageable for their new owners but if they get him & Fraser they will be looking very strong.
    How are Sheff Weds bidding for anyone? Can't even pay the players they have already got.
  • Options
    I thought they were under an embargo. If they aren't they ought to be.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Maccn05 said:

The spotty kid that everyone said was wrong on Cousens etc. Reckons Wigan are getting Rochdale’s Humphry’s.

I don’t know if this spending is manageable for their new owners but if they get him & Fraser they will be looking very strong.
    How are Sheff Weds bidding for anyone?
    They must have bought a Supa Dupa Deal Phone 🤪
  • Options
    I thought they were under an embargo. If they aren't they ought to be.
    We were embargoed when we signed Gilbey and Washington to be fair.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    How much did Grigg cost Sunderland? Multiple millions? Two years later they're still in this poxy league.

Money spent does not equal success.
    No but it helps. 
    Of course, but as Chunes pointed out above, net spend is about as silly as you can get in terms of metrics to define transfer window success.

Spend smarter, not harder.

I would suggest selling Bonne for 2m and getting Stockley for sub 500k nine months later is a good example of that philosophy in action.
    The problem with not being net spenders is who the hell are we going to sell?

The cupboard is pretty much bare for reasons we all know. 

Brentford didn't just find £100 million quids worth of players down the back of the sofa.

The first job is to get promoted and have a core of about 15 players, that can do a job in helping you stay up, under contract then you add to that.  Once your in the championship, with players on proper contracts, you can sell one or two a season and buy 4 or 5 more.

You can't do that in league 1, certainly not from the position we are currently in. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Chunes said:
    Last season Brentford were net sellers by 54 million pounds. The season before that, by 6 million. And by 28 million the season before that. 

Over the past five seasons they have been net sellers by almost 100 million pounds

And they are frequently cited on here as one of the best-run clubs in England. Let's not box ourselves in to this idea that, for us to be successful or for TS to be a 'good owner', that we have to be net buyers. That's not a thing. 

I hope we are going to be sustainably run. 
    Although this is true - you need to have saleable assets in order to be able to sell at that much of a profit. 

Those assets have to come from somewhere which, in football terms, means you’ve either previously bought them (or got free) - or you have otherwise produced them via your academy. 

Let’s also not kid ourselves that Brentford have not spent money along the way. They have just spent it very wisely. 
    I don't disagree with any of that. They have spent money, but at a far less proportion of what they've brought in. The only point is that being net sellers or net buyers is not a measurement to be worrying about.
  • Options
    Anyone know if Matthews was there yesterday? 
  • Options
    Addicks59 said:
    We are interested in tucker but are facing stiff completion for his signature. As for other signings TWO out of contract signings where training with us yesterday will be announced  end of week.No idear who.
    If this thread had anything about it, we'd have all chipped in to pay someone to hang around outside the training ground and take photos of all the entrants. Disappointing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anybody fancy using the tour of Sparrows lane offer that came with their season ticket!?
  • Options
    Addicks59 said:
    We are interested in tucker but are facing stiff completion for his signature. As for other signings TWO out of contract signings where training with us yesterday will be announced  end of week.No idear who.
    If this thread had anything about it, we'd have all chipped in to pay someone to hang around outside the training ground and take photos of all the entrants. Disappointing. 
    If it don't toot and run on tracks it ain't worth photographing
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone know if Matthews was there yesterday? 
    I've heard he's returning to Cardiff. Maybe try and get Ng off them.
  • Options
    The money and wages being spent by clubs in the championship is unheard of compared to even 6-7 years ago, so the gap between most clubs in league 1 I would say and them is getting bigger it seems.

If the rumours are true about Ipswich and Wigan offering 10k a week in wages, then thats made it harder to compete with them at this level. That don't mean we can't because I think we will and I think paying that sort of wages at this level is a bad idea. Many teams have done this thing before at different levels in terms of big spending and ended up with nothing but running out of money and not acheiving anything. 

I understand we have some trust issues in ownership, but when people are shouting every time something they think don't seem right they shout, "he's skint" "we've got no money" "He's worse than Roland and Southall". It's annoying as their is no evidence of that at all.

TS will make mistakes, but let's wait till he does them before going over the top. I do think our trust in owners as a whole is going to take a lot longer than I thought however, maybe even a few years. 

• Options
    Addicks59 said:
    #announcejonnywilliams
  • Options
    At least one more incoming this week. Another good one.
    Any hints?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    cfgs said:
    Need some form of announcement to bridge the tension gap until 5pm this evening.
    I've just logged into work and have a meeting to catch up on some upcoming work between 3-4pm

Thats confirmed by the way... not a rumour - Does that help?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cfgs said:
    Need some form of announcement to bridge the tension gap until 5pm this evening.
    I've just logged into work and have a meeting to catch up on some upcoming work between 3-4pm

Thats confirmed by the way... not a rumour - Does that help?
    WIOTC
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Last season Brentford were net sellers by 54 million pounds. The season before that, by 6 million. And by 28 million the season before that. 

Over the past five seasons they have been net sellers by almost 100 million pounds

And they are frequently cited on here as one of the best-run clubs in England. Let's not box ourselves in to this idea that, for us to be successful or for TS to be a 'good owner', that we have to be net buyers. That's not a thing. 

I hope we are going to be sustainably run. 
    Helped by the stupid generosity of RD selling Konsa at too low a price. 

Basically Brentford are the 'Trotters' of football buying low and selling high.  Therefore ' Tits '. 

All we need to do is keep abreast of the market.

We need to behave like ' Tits '.  Well RD has given us plenty of training for that.
    I think you will need to reduce the 100 million profit by excess wages paid to the players which i reckon could be substantial 
  • Options
    At least one more incoming this week. Another good one.
    LISTED 

;)

• Options
    UEAAddick said:
    The money and wages being spent by clubs in the championship is unheard of compared to even 6-7 years ago, so the gap between most clubs in league 1 I would say and them is getting bigger it seems.

If the rumours are true about Ipswich and Wigan offering 10k a week in wages, then thats made it harder to compete with them at this level. That don't mean we can't because I think we will and I think paying that sort of wages at this level is a bad idea. Many teams have done this thing before at different levels in terms of big spending and ended up with nothing but running out of money and not acheiving anything. 

I understand we have some trust issues in ownership, but when people are shouting every time something they think don't seem right they shout, "he's skint" "we've got no money" "He's worse than Roland and Southall". It's annoying as their is no evidence of that at all.

TS will make mistakes, but let's wait till he does them before going over the top. I do think our trust in owners as a whole is going to take a lot longer than I thought however, maybe even a few years. 

do we have trust issues in ownership? I certainly don't. And where are people shouting that he's skint and we've got no money?
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:

do we have trust issues in ownership? I certainly don't. And where are people shouting that he's skint and we've got no money?
    A scarce few shouldn't be exaggerated but I've noticed a few idiots on twitter saying it's obvious TS has no money because all our contracts are being rejected, no new signings etc. 
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:

Seen it on twitter from loads of people. Not saying you don't, I mean more as a collective fan base, that many are quick to jump to conclusions more than they may have been previously and don't fully trust TS. I didn't explain it well tbf. I trust him aswell 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Some right knobs on Twitter in my opinion.
    Not interested in Twitter.
  • Options
    Work still to be done
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!