Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if we are restricted in our budget, due to the fact Roland has whacked up the cost of the rent on the valley and the training ground?
    I very much doubt we are restricted in the budget at all. It's a slow market in general.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    thenewbie said:
    I wonder if we are restricted in our budget, due to the fact Roland has whacked up the cost of the rent on the valley and the training ground?
    I very much doubt we are restricted in the budget at all. It's a slow market in general.
    I'm sure if you offered Crewe £1m it would quicken up a tad.

There are lots of clubs in League 1 suffering from the effect that Covid had last season. Some clubs have taken the EFL money & therefore are restricted on their transfer dealings.

I thought that we weren't in either group & therefore would have been in a stronger position to bargain/buy players. 

• Options
    Do we know what clubs have taken financial assistance in league one. I’m guessing those that have will need to cash in on a few assets in order to do business themselves. I’m also guessing these are the clubs holding out in the game if who blinks first. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    rikofold said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rikofold said:
    This thread is unbelievable. The sense of entitlement is off the scale. Grown men spending another person's money and throwing keyboard tantrums left right and centre as the other person isn't throwing his money round in a manner which they deem acceptable.

This time last year we were on the brink. A very real possibility of going out of business. Sandergaard might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he is well in credit for effectively saving the club from going out of business.

He set his stall out very early on and made it clear he would be running things as a business. A business does not burn through a fuck ton of money that it potentially has no hope of recouping.

We all know the squad is thin, but the business we have done so far is good. There is no way we won't being additional players in before the window closes.

I wish people would stop with the I want it and I want it now bollocks. There are people on this thread who are like a fucking stuck record. Spouting the same shit over and over whilst launching toys round whatever room they are sitting in.

The sooner people accept that the club were just about at rock bottom and that unless you get a billionaire coming in with very deep pockets, coming back from that takes time, the better.
    You're right, of course you're right.

Only thing I'd observe that puts a slightly different perspective on things is that Sandgaard didn't come in quietly promising a slow build. We all know that getting established in the Premiership within 5 years is unlikely to begin with a poorer League One squad than missed out on promotion the  previous season.

Time will tell, but I'm not sure the frustration is that we're not spending millions but with what seems strikingly obvious: we're missing out on our target players because of financial constraints. 

I really wish he'd just talked about a long term plan, getting the foundations in place and getting us challenging in the Championship, than promising top end Premiership within 5 years - because no-one would have any unrealistic expectations on transfer spend. 

Tl:Dr - it was Sandgaard who said, I want it and I want it now. 

Who have we missed out on? 
    No names. Just putting Adkins's expectation to make signings early together with an inability to land them.

We'll wait for a Trust or Bromley Q&A with Gallen for the details 🙂

Edit: Also, compare to 2011 and Powell's recruitment. The money was clearly there then as he managed to get many of his first choices before the end of July. 
    With your 2011 comparison are you suggesting the money isn't there now as the inability to have signed more players by now? Aren't pretty much every other club in the league still at least 4-5 players short of where they want to be?

Not convinced the money isn't there, it's very easy to spend somebody else's money but if clubs are demanding high fees for there best players, should we just pay out what they want so we can all be satisfied we've followed the 2011 model? 

As many others have said it all seems to be a game of who'll blink first. I'd rather us wait and get the players we want for the right price rather than blow the budget just because we need players, as do pretty much everybody else in the league.
    Not quite. My point re Powell's recruitment is that they were able to meet what the player/club wanted sufficiently to persuade them to sign early on. The clubs that have been signing players are those prepared to spend. The fact they gelled from the start is testament to the importance of having the core of the squad together in preseason. 

It's all very well comparing ourselves to other L1 clubs, but if our budget is the same as theirs then it's going to be tougher to sign players, right? And if clubs being in financial straits is a reason for lower spending, it's hardly pushing transfer fees up either - quite the opposite.

It seems obvious to me that the difference between the clubs landing players and those who aren't is money. 

My main point was that the promise didn't appear to have been backed up. No issue with the points Tim made but it wasn't Charlton fans who set the expectation - it was Mr Sandgaard. Like I say, better to set lower expectations and over deliver than the other way round. 

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I’m frustrated like most, but relaxed about transfers, hopefully we’ll get their in the end.

No point in getting stressed about stuff tou have no control over, just hope we’re not under a transfer embargo!
  • Options

We’re going to get to deadline day with nobody but Callum Harriott and Nathan Eccleston in the building 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We’re going to get to deadline day with nobody but Callum Harriott and Nathan Eccleston in the building 
    Nathan Ecclestone. There's a name from the past. Remember he came in on loan and scored an absolutely brilliant goal. Thought he would have a great career based on that goal.

Whatever happened to him?

• Options
    I’m frustrated like most, but relaxed about transfers, hopefully we’ll get their in the end.

No point in getting stressed about stuff tou have no control over, just hope we’re not under a transfer embargo!
    We've signed four players under that embargo then  :)

And the EFL now announce embargos.

But yes, why stress over it.

We can't control new signings so while it might be frustrating there is nothing we can do about it.  Talk about it, critique it by all means but don't let it stress you out.
  • Options

He’s going to the Championship, I’m always amazed by the mental gymnastics people to get a different point 

• Options

Nathan Ecclestone. There's a name from the past. Remember he came in on loan and scored an absolutely brilliant goal. Thought he would have a great career based on that goal.

Whatever happened to him?

Yeah he looked a right talent in League One, he somehow fell off a cliff and barely played since 2015. 

He now owns www.peachessportswear.com 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

He’s going to the Championship, I’m always amazed by the mental gymnastics people to get a different point 

I’m obviously being facetious. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rikofold said:
    This thread is unbelievable. The sense of entitlement is off the scale. Grown men spending another person's money and throwing keyboard tantrums left right and centre as the other person isn't throwing his money round in a manner which they deem acceptable.

This time last year we were on the brink. A very real possibility of going out of business. Sandergaard might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he is well in credit for effectively saving the club from going out of business.

He set his stall out very early on and made it clear he would be running things as a business. A business does not burn through a fuck ton of money that it potentially has no hope of recouping.

We all know the squad is thin, but the business we have done so far is good. There is no way we won't being additional players in before the window closes.

I wish people would stop with the I want it and I want it now bollocks. There are people on this thread who are like a fucking stuck record. Spouting the same shit over and over whilst launching toys round whatever room they are sitting in.

The sooner people accept that the club were just about at rock bottom and that unless you get a billionaire coming in with very deep pockets, coming back from that takes time, the better.

Only thing I'd observe that puts a slightly different perspective on things is that Sandgaard didn't come in quietly promising a slow build. We all know that getting established in the Premiership within 5 years is unlikely to begin with a poorer League One squad than missed out on promotion the  previous season.

Time will tell, but I'm not sure the frustration is that we're not spending millions but with what seems strikingly obvious: we're missing out on our target players because of financial constraints. 

I really wish he'd just talked about a long term plan, getting the foundations in place and getting us challenging in the Championship, than promising top end Premiership within 5 years - because no-one would have any unrealistic expectations on transfer spend. 

In fairness the poster said it was obvious, which personally I don't quite agree on, but it's also fairly clear we're not splashing the cash. I think it's a good bet we'd have missed out on a few, Cawley hinted as much, but whether this was because our offer was poor or a Championship club simply won the battle I don't know. Sandgaard is probably going to be very disappointed if he thinks he can get to the Prem without spending a large amount of money though, I think he'll regret some of his ambition when we're miles away. 
    I doubt Thomas had watched much League One football when he bought the club. It’s tougher than he expected. 
  • Options
    Tbf I dont think many people would have seen this coming. I expect agents are trying to hold out for pre covid money which they need to get in the real world about imo. Maybe there is a reset on the horizon which many of us have been saying is needed
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rikofold said:

In fairness the poster said it was obvious, which personally I don't quite agree on, but it's also fairly clear we're not splashing the cash. I think it's a good bet we'd have missed out on a few, Cawley hinted as much, but whether this was because our offer was poor or a Championship club simply won the battle I don't know. Sandgaard is probably going to be very disappointed if he thinks he can get to the Prem without spending a large amount of money though, I think he'll regret some of his ambition when we're miles away. 
    I doubt Thomas had watched much League One football when he bought the club. It’s tougher than he expected. 
    And I imagine the ramifications of Covid etc have turned out a lot tougher than expected. This is a season not quite like any other before and we're not the only ones struggling to get signings done in large numbers.
  • Options
    If there is a formal contract without a clause to allow that, then I think it’s unlikely.

im wondering if we had an agreed budget but then an increased budget of Pope was sold.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    rikofold said:

And I imagine the ramifications of Covid etc have turned out a lot tougher than expected. This is a season not quite like any other before and we're not the only ones struggling to get signings done in large numbers.
    As I said earlier, all depends on why other clubs are struggling. For some it might be because they are strapped for cash. For others it might be because they are under a "soft" emabargo due to taking the EFL loan money. I would like to think that we are not in either camp. Understand there are budgets.....just didnt realise the budget was going to be the same or less than last year. 

I hate trying to compare us to other clubs & being honest I couldnt give a f**k what other clubs are doing. I just want to get out  this league & to do that it's best to be in the top 2 come May next year rather than 3rd to 6th. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ogilvie gone Portsmouth, confirmed. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Obviously Joel Randall was a target...he was mentioned in January. Sad state of affairs when we lose out to Peterboro with their shitty stadium and donkey field of a pitch.....granted they are in the championship but we should be selling the club as having a very good chance of being there next season
    Yeah I'm sure the management team aren't doing that at all 🤣
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Obviously Joel Randall was a target...he was mentioned in January. Sad state of affairs when we lose out to Peterboro with their shitty stadium and donkey field of a pitch.....granted they are in the championship but we should be selling the club as having a very good chance of being there next season
    Not after his mate moved to Hull there was no way he was accepting anything other then championship  move .. 1.2 mill for league two player proves how ridiculous and tough is window is becoming .. we just have to keep our nerve … 
  • Options
    What we reckon in all seriousness, Gomes in this week then a few weeks in the wilderness until the premier league names their 25?
    Pretty much how I see it. 

I think it’s going to be dead quiet until the final week of the window 
    Speaking for myself, I can’t bear the thought of this thread trundling along for the next three or four weeks……pure agony!🥺
  • Options
    We really need everyone in because our first two fixtures will be big games when it comes to the end of the season. 

Dropping points to Sheffield Wednesday and Oxford will put us in catch-up mode already. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!