Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    The lanyard around Gallen's neck seems to suggest he was at Gillingham or a guest of Gillingham's. The tweet is from 31st July, they were away at Leyton Orient that day. Maybe we're looking at Paul Smyth, rated winger/striker, an area we're certainly lacking...
    It was at Fulham. Zoom in in the pic and you can see the Fulham badge on the fence behind
  • Options
    The lanyard around Gallen's neck seems to suggest he was at Gillingham or a guest of Gillingham's. The tweet is from 31st July, they were away at Leyton Orient that day. Maybe we're looking at Paul Smyth, rated winger/striker, an area we're certainly lacking...
    It was at Fulham. Zoom in in the pic and you can see the Fulham badge on the fence behind
    Or the lanyard round his neck which says Fulham FC
  • Options
    That is a Fulham FC lanyard.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Yes the final squad won’t be in place until Sept.

But you do all realise there are 5 games before then? I would rather not throw 5 games - and whilst we could feasibly bring in the 5-6 top league one players we need on 31st August, I wouldn’t be that confident that we will then go on such a tear up of the division that we can give the rest of the league a 5 game head start.
  • Options
    Honestly be shocked if anyone walks away with the Division

Hull only got promoted with two games remaining.

Two years before that Luton only confirmed promotion prior to the last game of the season.

An exceptional squad would need to be put together by a team that gels really well for them to walk away with the League this year - Because of the way COVID has treated the transfer market I see it being even tighter this year than what it has been.
  • Options

But you do all realise there are 5 games before then? I would rather not throw 5 games - and whilst we could feasibly bring in the 5-6 top league one players we need on 31st August, I wouldn’t be that confident that we will then go on such a tear up of the division that we can give the rest of the league a 5 game head start.
    Ridiculous thing to say. Our current starting XI is perfectly capable of picking up points in those first 5 games.

Talk about a defeatist attitude! Some of you on here need to grow some balls. 
    This is my point of view, it is unlikely though not impossible that we will pick up injuries in these 5 games, but even if we do we should be competitive over the first 5 games.

Even with some of our academy products filling in at centre back, full back and let's say in place of Stockley, I'd be surprised if we didn't manage to stay competitive to be honest.

Adkins may have to fiddle his formation, but I think we would still be able to compete. (Worth remembering we shouldn't even face that scenario as we will still be building our squad).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So I have always believed there will be good business in August as everyone starts to become open to negotiation.

What concerns me is who we are playing in August, Sheff Weds, Wigan and Oxford are going to be competing with us for promotion.

Crewe currently have an exciting attack which caused us problems late last season & MK Dons have also strengthened with class to become dark horses for this season. 

We need to be taking points off these teams as much as putting them on the board for ourselves. We are all bemoaning the polarised views in the fanbase, but as good a squad as we may have on 1st September, we could be sat there with only a few point in the bag compared to our perceived rivals.
  • Options
    Reckon we will still get another 5 bodies in. 1 decent quality starter (left wing), the rest proper "squad meat" of the Bogle and Smyth variety. 
    Carl Marks. Scored 12 from 27 appearances for Borehamwood last season. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

But they WON'T have a head start because unless one team or another goes on a mad tear up and makes four or five signings this week, no-one will be much more prepared than we are.

I get that people are worried by the lack of signings but I don't see many clubs who will think they have a squad ready yet (a team perhaps - but not a squad.)

I agree with this even though seemingly contradicting myself from the earlier post. What I do see however is a risk/ opportunity in who our opponents are our first 5 games to not be on par with where we need to be for the season as a result of not completing a couple of signings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:
    Reckon we will still get another 5 bodies in. 1 decent quality starter (left wing), the rest proper "squad meat" of the Bogle and Smyth variety. 
    Carl Marks. Scored 12 from 27 appearances for Borehamwood last season. 

I think he has a brother Skid plays in the bottom 3
    Scrapping the bottom of the pan for players now then
  • Options
    agim said:
    Two players that really caught my eye last season especially when we played them were Charles & Bishop from Accrington Stanley. Surely that's the kind of club we could negotiate a deal with, maybe sending one of our duds there as part of the deal or Davidson on loan? 
    We’re not in the the Premier League anymore. We’re a League One club with dreams of playing in the Championship, no different to Accrington Stanley - we have no right to start making deals for their best players just because we were half decent 20 years ago
  • Options
    golfaddick said:Golf
    AndyG said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Obviously Joel Randall was a target...he was mentioned in January. Sad state of affairs when we lose out to Peterboro with their shitty stadium and donkey field of a pitch.....granted they are in the championship but we should be selling the club as having a very good chance of being there next season
    Yeah I'm sure the management team aren't doing that at all 🤣
    It's not helpful when players can see that we've not pushed the boat out though is it. If I was a player or an agent I'd be questioning our ambition. I'm pretty sure that Stockley might have 2nd thoughts if he was about to sign now. 
    Golfie when I said we wouldnt lose another 4 games last season you took a bet for the upbeats. Fancy another 1 ? You undoubtedly seem to think we are going to struggle. I think we will make top 6. £25.00 for the upbeats again ? 
    Firstly I haven't said we are going to struggle & secondly, although I dont like the mantra of "wait until the transfer window closes" it is indeed true that you cant assess a squad until that has happened.

I make no bones that I think we are currently weaker than last season as well as believing that we will not be bringing in enough quality to see us promoted, but only a fool would bet any money until all the pieces of the jigsaw are in place.

Golfie suddenly not so confident in his misery and even admitting that you can't truly assess the squad until till the window closes.

Wonders will never cease.
    Don't get your hopes up, Henners - there is a plausible explanation (in fact the only possible explanation).

Golfie's account has been hacked.
  • Options
    Enhance
    Ahhh, cheers. Was a bit tired at 2.30 this morning!
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

But they WON'T have a head start because unless one team or another goes on a mad tear up and makes four or five signings this week, no-one will be much more prepared than we are.

I get that people are worried by the lack of signings but I don't see many clubs who will think they have a squad ready yet (a team perhaps - but not a squad.)

I agree with this even though seemingly contradicting myself from the earlier post. What I do see however is a risk/ opportunity in who our opponents are our first 5 games to not be on par with where we need to be for the season as a result of not completing a couple of signings.
    I can see that point but I think we have to try and look at it as a relative thing rather than an absolute one. In terms of pure numbers, in absolute terms, we are not ready for the coming season yet. We're one or two injuries away from struggling. I don't think this is a particularly controversial position.

On the other hand, RELATIVELY speaking I don't think it's as bad. There's few if any clubs in the league who are any better off than we are. Even the clubs who made more signings than us were mostly replacing players they'd lost. If the likes of Ipswich or Wigan were to be unlucky with injuries they would be in the same threadbare position we would - Sunderland are apparently struggling to field an 11 with two established full backs apparently and they have money to spend.
  • Options
    2 permanent attacking players this week - music to my ears - perfect - here we go !!! 
  • Options
    Enhance
    Ahhh, cheers. Was a bit tired at 2.30 this morning!
    Yeah Fulham lanyard. 

@Callumcafc's enhance post made me chuckle, thinking of every bad Sci Fi film where they seem to be able to boost the resolution using digital zoom though. 

• Options
    tea lady could play left back, lets get the ammunition sorted first COYR !!!!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!