Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Rhodes is so overrated and hasn’t done much since having a couple of great seasons 8/9 years ago, I would much prefer someone much more hungry like Stockley who works hard and offers more to the team.
  • Ballard’s been a rock for Blackpool this season. Can imagine him going back for another season if they got promoted..
  • Shame we didn't manage to get an Arsenal player in the position we needed, rather than him 100s of miles away at Blackpool. 

We must be out of credit with our signing/killing off of Smith's season.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    You can have all the money in the world but if you're spending it on Jordan Rhodes... 
    Scored 52 goals in his last 2 seasons at this level, let's wank ourselves silly over a Exeter winger who 90% of people have never seen play and has never played above league 2. 

Makes sense. 

I know he's been playing in the Championship, but he hasn't made double figures in the league since 2015. Strikes me as another Will Grigg in that he no longer has the stats to backup his reputation. Wouldn't be the worst signing at this level, but I'm not sure he's any longer the kind of striker you could build a promotion campaign around.

Ideally you want a striker at or just before his peak.
    I think you missed the point I was making.  
    Rhodes is on his way out career wise. We need to build a team that has energy in abundance.

We have our seasoned pros already. Would rather take a punt on a talented youngster than go for someone by rep alone.

Anyway...his records been shit last few years and he isnt better than Aneke or Stockley.
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    You can have all the money in the world but if you're spending it on Jordan Rhodes... 
    Scored 52 goals in his last 2 seasons at this level, let's wank ourselves silly over a Exeter winger who 90% of people have never seen play and has never played above league 2. 

Makes sense. 
    Randell Williams? Many of us have seen him play, he scored against us in 18/19 when playing for Wycombe in League 1.

I don’t know enough about Williams but I know I don’t want us bringing in too many older players who are on the way down. One or two is fine but that strategy didn’t work last season and we’re in a much better position to go and build a proper squad with 2/3 seasons in mind rather than 1.
    I never suggested that we should sign or Rhodes, or that we will.  He has either already signed for Huddersfield or will in the next few days.

I was making a general observation that some players are seen as the "right type" and others are quickly dismissed as a joke or a "no thanks".  Quite often with general agreement based on very little or nothing at all.  We saw the same thing we Eisa and Akpom the other day.  It almost as if some posters think it's actually relevant what we/they think. 

We won't sign Rhodes, I very much doubt we would even consider it but if he did sign for Ipswich I would have a couple of quid on him being league 1 top goal scorer. 

• Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Makes sense. 
    Randell Williams? Many of us have seen him play, he scored against us in 18/19 when playing for Wycombe in League 1.

I don’t know enough about Williams but I know I don’t want us bringing in too many older players who are on the way down. One or two is fine but that strategy didn’t work last season and we’re in a much better position to go and build a proper squad with 2/3 seasons in mind rather than 1.
    I never suggested that we should sign or Rhodes, or that we will.  He has either already signed for Huddersfield or will in the next few days.

I was making a general observation that some players are seen as the "right type" and others are quickly dismissed as a joke or a "no thanks".  Quite often with general agreement based on very little or nothing at all.  We saw the same thing we Eisa and Akpom the other day.  It almost as if some posters think it's actually relevant what we/they think. 

We won't sign Rhodes, I very much doubt we would even consider it but if he did sign for Ipswich I would have a couple of quid on him being league 1 top goal scorer. 

Wasn't saying you were suggesting we would sign him.

I know what you mean on the "right type", we also saw the same with managers when Bowyer went. Paul Cook was right type as he had a recent L1 promotion, as were young managers doing well in League 2. The likes of Adkins were seen as past as his L1 promotion seasons were so long ago.
  • AURAL CUM ROUT

That's an anagram for 'ACTUAL RUMOUR' ... Well,... you have to make your own fun, eh?

• AURAL CUM ROUT

That's an anagram for 'ACTUAL RUMOUR' ... Well,... you have to make your own fun, eh?

Ah one of my favourite movies, now what's this about an anagram?
  • edited May 2021
    Interesting how negative people are towards Smyth, I thought bar a couple and the right wing back performance he looked decent for us, ran the channels and moved well. His main issue was he sometimes also overran the ball off of the pitch haha

I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect better than Smyth as a bit part player, there's no way we are gonna get in as many 'quality' players as people think. I'm with Curbs, we will re-sign most out of contract and add about 4-5 new bodies and then 3-4 loans. 

I also certainly was not happy with our squad this season, I was one of what felt like the few saying it was not even close to be strong enough for promotion, only a handful of players

• When I saw Rhodes name mentioned I thought I hope no one suggests we sign him. Way past his best and not someone I’d want to sign. Cecil might be a better option.
    Who the hell is Jordan Cecil ? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Makes sense. 

Well in my opinion you’d be chucking two quid down the toilet.
    We will have that bet if it comes to it though. 
  • When I saw Rhodes name mentioned I thought I hope no one suggests we sign him. Way past his best and not someone I’d want to sign. Cecil might be a better option.
    Oxford should sign him, they've already got a Rhodes statue
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Makes sense. 

Wasn't saying you were suggesting we would sign him.

I know what you mean on the "right type", we also saw the same with managers when Bowyer went. Paul Cook was right type as he had a recent L1 promotion, as were young managers doing well in League 2. The likes of Adkins were seen as past as his L1 promotion seasons were so long ago.
    I am more talking about the people who were against people like Cook because they were the same old.  What ever that ment.  Or the perception that the Cowleys were "hoof ball".

I am convinced that some people see a comment on here or twitter about a player, manager etc then repeat it as gospel and before long it's a Charlton Life Fact. 

Remember 6 months ago we were all experts on Boreham Wood...... I bet more than a hand full of posters have ever seen them play. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2021

Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Makes sense. 

I know nothing about Williams but (genuine question) if he played against us 2 years ago what is he doing back in league 2 ? I would of hoped we were going to target the best of League 1 as Chris Powell did. Nobody knows what is happening regarding new signings but so far we know of three players who have been released, the rest of those out of contract it seems that we are in negotiation with to sign new deals which would suggest the core of the squad will be the same as last season. This doesn't sound to me like the "he's letting everyone go" rumour that we heard nor that we are changing the make up of the squad & we need younger, fitter players to play a high energy pressing game. If TS believes that  "We are going to blow it out of the division." with a large number of last years squad & league 2 youngsters I think he will be sadly mistaken. We have 15 players either under contract or have been offered new terms. JFC will possibly miss most of the season if he ever comes back at the standard we need. Even if we bring in another 10 will our squad be good enough when suspensions & injuries start to bite ?
  • Been told we are interested in Daniel Ballard (Arsenal, centre-back)... most likey a loan 
    Transfer market shows him out of contract at the end of May? 
  • edited May 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Makes sense. 

Surely that's the whole point of the forum though? Expressing opinions and viewpoints is what we all do every day on here. I'm not naive enough to think Sandgaard or Gallen are going to be reading the forum to find their targets, but discussing who we should sign is a massive part of this forum. Same with the criticism of tactics, selections etc. Never claimed I could do better than any manager (I wouldn't have done worse than Fraeye) but surely allowed to express an opinion?
    Yes an opinion based on something.  Other than something a person read 3 posts before.

I am talking about the double standards that are applied, seemingly randomly.

We need a proven goal scorer.  No not that one.

We can't have players that are always injured.  Let's sign x that's never played more than 20 games in a season.

We want players on the up and inform.  Let's sign a bloke that scored a load of goals in league 2 3 years ago and has had 15 good games since.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Makes sense. 

Surely that's the whole point of the forum though? Expressing opinions and viewpoints is what we all do every day on here. I'm not naive enough to think Sandgaard or Gallen are going to be reading the forum to find their targets, but discussing who we should sign is a massive part of this forum. Same with the criticism of tactics, selections etc. Never claimed I could do better than any manager (I wouldn't have done worse than Fraeye) but surely allowed to express an opinion?
    Yes an opinion based on something.  Other than something a person read 3 posts before.

We can't have players that are always injured.  Let's sign x that's never played more than 20 games in a season.

We want players on the up and inform.  Let's sign a bloke that scored a load of goals in league 2 3 years ago and has had 15 good games since.

Yeah of course an opinion should be based on something, not mindless optimism or one ill informed. Also agree on the injuries, but the proven goal scorer one is so tricky. More often than not a proven goal scorer will be someone who has recently scored goals. Eisa fits the bill, but then didn't do it last year. Mullen has just fired, but look at his history. Even Clarke-Harris' record was open to discussion, but look what he's done. 
  • edited May 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Makes sense. 

Yeah of course an opinion should be based on something, not mindless optimism or one ill informed. Also agree on the injuries, but the proven goal scorer one is so tricky. More often than not a proven goal scorer will be someone who has recently scored goals. Eisa fits the bill, but then didn't do it last year. Mullen has just fired, but look at his history. Even Clarke-Harris' record was open to discussion, but look what he's done. 
    You are right in that sometimes a certain player is a fit for a certain club. Eisa for example might come to us and score twenty goals next season but go to say Portsmouth and he only scores five. Doesn’t necessarily make him a bad player if that happens but sometimes it just clicks and that player is a success. 

I’m against Rhodes for example because I feel his career is on the wane and he’s the wrong side of 30. I’m hoping we sign younger, dynamic, hungry players who have a point to prove and that we can improve and take them forward with us to hopefully the next level. Yes we need a smattering of senior pros who have experience but I’m hoping they will be in the 27/28 age group and still have more than a few years in them.
  • Not sure if posted yet

Alex Hunt who we were linked with by a few sources signed an extension with Wednesday, so I assume that's off the cards now
  • edited May 2021
    Interesting how negative people are towards Smyth, I thought bar a couple and the right wing back performance he looked decent for us, ran the channels and moved well. His main issue was he sometimes also overran the ball off of the pitch haha

I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect better than Smyth as a bit part player, there's no way we are gonna get in as many 'quality' players as people think. I'm with Curbs, we will re-sign most out of contract and add about 4-5 new bodies and then 3-4 loans. 

I also certainly was not happy with our squad this season, I was one of what felt like the few saying it was not even close to be strong enough for promotion, only a handful of players

Have you seen the actual number of players we currently have under contract...?  I think you'll find its 10 !!  We've offered contracts to another 5 but I doubt Aneke will sign & JFC is crocked until at least xmas. Adding 4 or 5 plus a few loans ain't going to cut it my son - it wont even make up a matchday squad of 18. We need to bring in at least 8 new signings plus another 4 or 5 on loan. 
  • Ipswich don’t look like they’re messing around. They’ve offered Jordan Rhodes a 3 year deal on crazy money. 

Looks like he’s going back to Huddersfield but the intent is there
    How much did they offer him? It can't be that crazy if he's signing for Huddersfield.

Also Rhodes is a northerner and apart from a couple of years early in his career when his Dad was also at Ipswich, he's always signed for northern teams.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!