Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Fluke is the wrong word but it definitely all came together better than anyone expected. I think we all thought we had a chance going into that season but I don’t recall anyone seriously suggesting we’d piss the league, which is kind of what ended up happening.

There’s an element of luck in any signing (same goes for hiring a new person for a job in normal life) - you can do all the research you like, but because you’re dealing with humans there’s a chance it might just not click or they might exceed even your highest expectations. 
  • Southbank said:
    Scoham said:
    I was certainly in the squad not good enough camp but from what I saw of Smyth he is good enough for a promotion side as a bench player, stop gap option for a year.

I don't see how we are gonna sign 10 promotion quality players, where are they coming from? Grafters like Smyth, Washington are important to make the space for Chuks and Stockley (assuming they sign)

This window is gonna be good for me, cause either I'm gonna be whelmed like expected when we don't sign anywhere near what people are expecting or I've got 10+ league1 upper/championship quality players to watch next season, win win for me 

I also wonder the future of Ronnie, he looked fantastic against Rochdale with Chuks, I wonder if Adkins can save us a fee with him 
    In the summer of 2011 we signed...

Hamer
    Wiggins
    Morrison
    Taylor
    Cort
    Green
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Hughes
    Pritchard
    Kermorgant
    Hayes

That’s 12 who played a key part, plus the likes of Evina as cover, loan signings during the season and Haynes in January.

Some signings will work out better than others but we’ve got to set our sights higher than players like Smyth.

We have no idea what the budget is, even if it’s not the biggest in L1 there will be plenty of good free agents and loans available plus clubs struggling due to Covid who will sell players more cheaply than normal.
    4 of them went on to play in the Premier League. If we approach that level of class we will be doing very well.
    Hamer, Stephens, kermogant and?
  • edited May 2021
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    A few of those signings were a bit flukey though and we didn't expect them to do as well as they did.

4 prem players? Who, Yann never even got a real chance up there, Hamer was a bench warmer, Stephens a regular though of course. Who's the 4th? 

I would say only Stephens counts as a proper prem player from that list
    Which signings were flukey? Pritchard was the only one with no expectations, and Hughes came in to be a squad player, but the rest were expected to make a big contribution.

There will be future Champ/Prem players out there, whether they'd be stepping up from a smaller club (like Stephens and Wiggins) or needing to get their career going again by dropping down a level (like Yann and Morrison).

I don't think anyone is expecting 10 top quality signings, We do though need 4/5 stand out players for this level and others who give us a strong balanced squad. That doesn't feel that unrealistic, not every club is in a position to ask for a big fee and some might be out of contract as they know they have interest from bigger clubs.

On the Prem players I assume Wiggins was the fourth. He went back to Bournemouth, but I'm not sure he actually played in the Prem.
    Yann was definitely a bit of a fluke, no one expected him to be as impactful as he was
    Chris Powell knew exactly how good Yann was. You may be forgetting that he had spent years with Yann at Leicester.
    Na I remember, one of my good mates is a Leicester season ticket holder (seriously) and his two brothers. When we signed him I was told he was absolutely pony and looking at his record if it's right 1 goal in 20 would suggest that. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but no one knew Yann would be as good as he was and it was definitely a bit of a 'punt' by Powell
    Fluke is the wrong word but it definitely all came together better than anyone expected. I think we all thought we had a chance going into that season but I don’t recall anyone seriously suggesting we’d piss the league, which is kind of what ended up happening.

There’s an element of luck in any signing (same goes for hiring a new person for a job in normal life) - you can do all the research you like, but because you’re dealing with humans there’s a chance it might just not click or they might exceed even your highest expectations. 
    Maybe it's the wrong word but you see my point. How often does a team sign that many players and walk the league? The chemistry and understanding was very fortunate and I can't imagine it happening again.
  • Scoham said:
    cabbles said:
    Interesting how negative people are towards Smyth, I thought bar a couple and the right wing back performance he looked decent for us, ran the channels and moved well. His main issue was he sometimes also overran the ball off of the pitch haha

I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect better than Smyth as a bit part player, there's no way we are gonna get in as many 'quality' players as people think. I'm with Curbs, we will re-sign most out of contract and add about 4-5 new bodies and then 3-4 loans. 

I also certainly was not happy with our squad this season, I was one of what felt like the few saying it was not even close to be strong enough for promotion, only a handful of players

And just a handful at best imo.  We missed a lot of the season with Inniss and Famewo at CB. I think they are capable enough to be the CB pairing to achieve promotion, based on what I’ve seen.  We need 4 new full backs imo.  Never gonna happen as Purrington and Gunter are on 2 year deals, so we’re only likely to bring in 2 new full backs, or one if we keep Matthews.  A full back quota of Gunter, Purrington, Matthews and one other isn’t really inspiring me with confidence.  

Fair enough, we’re probably looking at Pearce as cover, but that leaves us likely to pick up just one other CB.  I’d say it needs to be a bloody good CB.

Midfield isn’t strong imo.  I’ve got no idea what Jayisemi can bring to the table.  I think he will be good with a full close and pre season under his belt, but we just don’t know.  JFC is likely to be back in Dec/Jan.  I rate this boy’s professionalism and I guarantee he does everything right in rehabilitation etc, but I still believe he shone last year on account of the dross around him.  

I’m not a fan of Gilbey.  Yes, there was definitely an upturn under Adkins, but I’ve watched a lot of football over the years, and he just doesn’t strike me as a player that can go any higher than league one, or drive us to promotion.  That’s just my opinion, I could well be wrong.  

Watson is Watson.  If he’s here then we just have to accept it.  He should definitely be used as a bit part player.  I like Morgan, I think he can definitely play a role, but that leaves another wide player, and an absolute unit in the middle to break up play.  I would say the midfield is 4 short, maybe 5

Finally, up top.  This is actually the area I think we may be okay, if we get Stockley, plus 1 other if we keep Aneke.  I think Washington is decent.  Works hard, got a decent(ish) return, and can add something.  Stockley would be great.  The only thing I would say, is find him a strike partner.  I felt the 4-3-3 fell away a bit toward the end.  He cut quite a lone figure in some of the final games.  I would like him to form a partnership with someone 

for me, we’re probably only looking at 1 full back :-(

1 CB

We’re probably looking at 4 midfielders and maybe 1 other forward after getting Stockley and Aneke secured on deals 

That’s 7 players 

Actually 8 maybe, depending on the Amos situation 
    We need at least 2 CBs with Oshilaja and Famewo gone.

Not convinced Aneke will stay and we haven’t secured Stockley yet.

I think it’ll be closer to 11/12 than 7/8.
    And how do you know we haven’t ?? 

Stockley been openly  seen looking at houses in the Bexley area ... PNE want to recoup most of their 750,000 but he not worth that .. the player wants to join it’s just down to the clubs to come to a deal 
     I haven't  seen him in the area. Usually  they live in Chislehurst. 
    Two things here.......why would you think because you have never seen him in Bexley that he wouldn’t be looking to buy a house there?
    Secondly, when we were in The Prem and Championship yes ‘some’ players lived in Chislehurst and one or two still do.
    However, to say they usually live there is simply not true and never has been.
     That area has been a favourite  for quite a few Charlton  players over a number of years / decades. It is more usual than you suspect,  I think.
    Yes.....everyone knows that but you said they usually live there.......which isn’t correct.......some do/have but far far more  haven’t.
    Anyway.....not worth arguing about.
  • Interesting how negative people are towards Smyth, I thought bar a couple and the right wing back performance he looked decent for us, ran the channels and moved well. His main issue was he sometimes also overran the ball off of the pitch haha

I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect better than Smyth as a bit part player, there's no way we are gonna get in as many 'quality' players as people think. I'm with Curbs, we will re-sign most out of contract and add about 4-5 new bodies and then 3-4 loans. 

I also certainly was not happy with our squad this season, I was one of what felt like the few saying it was not even close to be strong enough for promotion, only a handful of players

Have you seen the actual number of players we currently have under contract...?  I think you'll find its 10 !!  We've offered contracts to another 5 but I doubt Aneke will sign & JFC is crocked until at least xmas. Adding 4 or 5 plus a few loans ain't going to cut it my son - it wont even make up a matchday squad of 18. We need to bring in at least 8 new signings plus another 4 or 5 on loan. 
    JFC crocked until at least Christmas.....where have you got that from?
    JFC himself .... Dec playing again in Jan 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    You can have all the money in the world but if you're spending it on Jordan Rhodes... 
    Scored 52 goals in his last 2 seasons at this level, let's wank ourselves silly over a Exeter winger who 90% of people have never seen play and has never played above league 2. 

Makes sense. 
    Randell Williams? Many of us have seen him play, he scored against us in 18/19 when playing for Wycombe in League 1.

I don’t know enough about Williams but I know I don’t want us bringing in too many older players who are on the way down. One or two is fine but that strategy didn’t work last season and we’re in a much better position to go and build a proper squad with 2/3 seasons in mind rather than 1.
    I never suggested that we should sign or Rhodes, or that we will.  He has either already signed for Huddersfield or will in the next few days.

I was making a general observation that some players are seen as the "right type" and others are quickly dismissed as a joke or a "no thanks".  Quite often with general agreement based on very little or nothing at all.  We saw the same thing we Eisa and Akpom the other day.  It almost as if some posters think it's actually relevant what we/they think. 

We won't sign Rhodes, I very much doubt we would even consider it but if he did sign for Ipswich I would have a couple of quid on him being league 1 top goal scorer. 

Does that count as an ITK? :wink:@Dazzler21 :wink:

Huddersfield are fast becoming the Palace of the Championship. Two poor seasons in a row, but lucky that there’s been at least 3 worse than them. They’ll eventually drop back to league 1 though I’m sure of it. 
    Palace Prem seasons since getting back up
    11th
    10th
    15th
    14th
    11th
    12th
    14th
    Currently 13th 

cnuts have hardly sniffed relegation 
  • Sponsored links:

• Just shared this on the Millar thread, relevant here too. Means we’ll need 2 ideally 3 new wingers.

Looks certain that he’s not coming back.

I’m not subscribed so can’t see the full article but it says Liverpool are receiving a lot of interest from Championship clubs:

https://theathletic.com/2588533

The 21-year-old Canada international’s parent club have already received a significant number of enquiries about him from sides in the second tier.

• So, once again we have improved a loanee, and assisted in the furtherment of his career, what a nice bunch we are
    B) 
  • edited May 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    You can have all the money in the world but if you're spending it on Jordan Rhodes... 
    Scored 52 goals in his last 2 seasons at this level, let's wank ourselves silly over a Exeter winger who 90% of people have never seen play and has never played above league 2. 

Makes sense. 
    Randell Williams? Many of us have seen him play, he scored against us in 18/19 when playing for Wycombe in League 1.

I don’t know enough about Williams but I know I don’t want us bringing in too many older players who are on the way down. One or two is fine but that strategy didn’t work last season and we’re in a much better position to go and build a proper squad with 2/3 seasons in mind rather than 1.
    I never suggested that we should sign or Rhodes, or that we will.  He has either already signed for Huddersfield or will in the next few days.

I was making a general observation that some players are seen as the "right type" and others are quickly dismissed as a joke or a "no thanks".  Quite often with general agreement based on very little or nothing at all.  We saw the same thing we Eisa and Akpom the other day.  It almost as if some posters think it's actually relevant what we/they think. 

We won't sign Rhodes, I very much doubt we would even consider it but if he did sign for Ipswich I would have a couple of quid on him being league 1 top goal scorer. 

Huddersfield are fast becoming the Palace of the Championship. Two poor seasons in a row, but lucky that there’s been at least 3 worse than them. They’ll eventually drop back to league 1 though I’m sure of it. 
    11th
    10th
    15th
    14th
    11th
    12th
    14th
    Currently 13th 

Palace First Team players out of contract next month.

• Christian Benteke
    • Michy Batshuayi
    • Patrick van Aanholt
    • Gary Cahill
    • James McArthur
    • James McCarthy
    • Joel Ward
    • Mamadou Sakho
    • Nathaniel Clyne
    • Wayne Hennessey
    • Stephen Henderson
    • Scott Dann
    • Max Meyer
    • Andros Townsend
    • Connor Wickham
  • edited May 2021

So, once again we have improved a loanee, and assisted in the furtherment of his career, what a nice bunch we are B) 
    But that is the purpose of a loan from the parent club's point of view.  if we'd gone up we'd be one of those championship clubs chasing him.

And because we did improve him Liverpool are more likely to loan us another player. Ditto Chelsea.

We loan players out for the same reason. Doughty being the most recent example of that success

AMB will hopefully be loaned out to improve him and further his career with us.
    Well that told me eh Henry ;)
    Of course from the parent club yes, I was just a bit selfish probably, and looking it from our perspective, of course we benefitted from his time here.
  • Addickted said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Makes sense. 

11th
    10th
    15th
    14th
    11th
    12th
    14th
    Currently 13th 

• Christian Benteke
    • Michy Batshuayi
    • Patrick van Aanholt
    • Gary Cahill
    • James McArthur
    • James McCarthy
    • Joel Ward
    • Mamadou Sakho
    • Nathaniel Clyne
    • Wayne Hennessey
    • Stephen Henderson
    • Scott Dann
    • Max Meyer
    • Andros Townsend
    • Connor Wickham
    Main problem with all
    these wages !!!!
  • Valley11 said:
    Wow. Palace’s league finishes for the last decade....
    Be great to have a rumour once in awhile. 

No thanks 
  • Addickted said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Makes sense. 

11th
    10th
    15th
    14th
    11th
    12th
    14th
    Currently 13th 

• Christian Benteke
    • Michy Batshuayi
    • Patrick van Aanholt
    • Gary Cahill
    • James McArthur
    • James McCarthy
    • Joel Ward
    • Mamadou Sakho
    • Nathaniel Clyne
    • Wayne Hennessey
    • Stephen Henderson
    • Scott Dann
    • Max Meyer
    • Andros Townsend
    • Connor Wickham
    I think Meyer left by mutual agreement in January. 

Heard on the radio that they have at least 4 players on 100k + a week. 
  • Scoham said:
    A few of those signings were a bit flukey though and we didn't expect them to do as well as they did.

4 prem players? Who, Yann never even got a real chance up there, Hamer was a bench warmer, Stephens a regular though of course. Who's the 4th? 

I would say only Stephens counts as a proper prem player from that list
    Which signings were flukey? Pritchard was the only one with no expectations, and Hughes came in to be a squad player, but the rest were expected to make a big contribution.

There will be future Champ/Prem players out there, whether they'd be stepping up from a smaller club (like Stephens and Wiggins) or needing to get their career going again by dropping down a level (like Yann and Morrison).

I don't think anyone is expecting 10 top quality signings, We do though need 4/5 stand out players for this level and others who give us a strong balanced squad. That doesn't feel that unrealistic, not every club is in a position to ask for a big fee and some might be out of contract as they know they have interest from bigger clubs.

On the Prem players I assume Wiggins was the fourth. He went back to Bournemouth, but I'm not sure he actually played in the Prem.
    Yes Wiggins, although he never made it past the subs bench mainly because of injuries. Point is, it was a talented bunch overall and a big ask to emulate in a short period. League 1 begins August 7, a decent minimum 4 week pre season means there are about 6/7 weeks left to sign half a squad. Tbey had better have a good plan.
  • Sponsored links:

• given this thread has absolutely no rumours on it so far we worried but the lack of noise?

Anyone worried we’ve left it late in our planning or confident it’s just been done in a secretive manner behind the scenes (very unusual for Charlton)
  • Maccn05 said:
    given this thread has absolutely no rumours on it so far we worried but the lack of noise?

Anyone worried we’ve left it late in our planning or confident it’s just been done in a secretive manner behind the scenes (very unusual for Charlton)
    Either that or the club feels that information was too easily leaked in the past so have tightened up under Adkins
  • Maccn05 said:
    given this thread has absolutely no rumours on it so far we worried but the lack of noise?

Either that or the club feels that information was too easily leaked in the past so have tightened up under Adkins
    Or that in the past people have got involved in "stuff" outside of their normal day job.

Unless Roddy is back to whatsapping his university team I doubt him, Gallen, Adkins ot Thomas will leak.  I doubt anyone else even knows until the contract is ready to sign. 
  • Maccn05 said:

Not worried , think things have tightened up a bit on the things being leaked front. 
  • Is this the Palarse finishing place rumour zone...newly formed out of the ashes of the 'Is Jordan Rhodes worth a gig at Huddersfield ' rumour.
    63 pages and rarely a rumour or sniff of a signing for us. 
    Haha ...... Perhaps you've joined this forum in fairly recent times?

Just wait until you've been on here for 15 years. You'll finally begin to understand the foibles of how it all works! :wink: :

• Yeah ok but can they atleast leak some fake stuff to give us something to have a meltdown about ? 😂😂😂
  • edited May 2021
    yeah 4-5 is what I am expecting but I don't think it will be as big an overhaul as people think. I reckon Amos, Gilbey, Matthews, Albie, Innis, Stockley, DJ & Chuks (assuming they sign) will play a lot. Time will tell but I am mentally prepared for us to go into next season with a similar side.LargeAddick said:
    Which alternate reality is that in?
  • AndyG said:
    Yeah ok but can they atleast leak some fake stuff to give us something to have a meltdown about ? 😂😂😂
    Have fun: https://news.paddypower.com/football/2015/06/24/paddypowers-bullshit-transfer-generator-create-made-transfer-news/

Just replace the club with us, the player with a random lower league player and divide the transfer fee by 100.
  • AndyG said:
    Yeah ok but can they atleast leak some fake stuff to give us something to have a meltdown about ? 😂😂😂
    OK we are going to sign a striker that scored 1 in 25 in the championship 2 seasons ago.  Just because he goes to the same dentist as Roddy.  Using no hindsight what so ever in ten years time we will be saying he was a sure thing and in no way a gamble at all. 
  • Leaks may come if players are seen at Sparrow's or The Valley.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!