Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    Just because Golfie is bigging up Roland... Here's his first three years ins and outs for the first team squad - because I got bored. It seems having loads of players doesn't guarantee success at all! 

Care free signings are as dangerous as too few. 

Players sold:
    Joe Gomez £4.4m

£4.4m, Jesus wept.
  • Days since last transfer/loan:

Accrington - 6
    AFC Wimbledon - 7
    Bolton - 5
    Burton - 15
    Cambridge - 6
    Charlton - 22
    Cheltenham - 2
    Crewe - 12
    Doncaster - 5
    Fleetwood - 9
    Gillingham - 16
    Ipswich - 2
    Lincoln - 15
    MK Dons - 13
    Morecambe - 1
    Oxford - 10
    Plymouth - 13
    Portsmouth - 1
    Rotherham - 1
    Sheff Wed - 1
    Shrewsbury - 14
    Sunderland - 26
    Wigan - 2
    Wycombe - 7
    I thought our last was Clare on 8th July, more than 22 days ago.
    Where did you get the 8th from?

Signed 20/7.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60f60a8334f83/done-deal-energetic-midfielder-sean-clare-signs-for-charlton
    the 20th July it is, my error.
  • The official Twitter account is quiet this morning, usually they are reminding us about something ticket related (or similar) so why are they silent?  Busy working towards an announcement, nothing to tell us or promote today or just fed up with all the obvious replies every tweet gets?
  • Macronate said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just because Golfie is bigging up Roland... Here's his first three years ins and outs for the first team squad - because I got bored. It seems having loads of players doesn't guarantee success at all! 

Players sold:
    Joe Gomez £4.4m

£4.4m, Jesus wept.
    I heard it was £3.5m
  • cfgs said:
    The official Twitter account is quiet this morning, usually they are reminding us about something ticket related (or similar) so why are they silent?  Busy working towards an announcement, nothing to tell us or promote today or just fed up with all the obvious replies every tweet gets?
    Probably got the day off after the game last night
  • edited August 2021
    Alex Ferguson was a bully who banned Reporters who asked questions he didn't like at Man United press conferences.
    He was such a powerful and successful manager he could treat reporters with total disdain who didn't brown nose him.

@LouisMend this shouldn't happen to you (yet !) but well done with the questions you put to Nigel, because I'm a fan of transparency where possible. Nigel Adkins is a good guy who is frustrated with many things during this whole transfer window.
    But the questions have to be asked by Journalists because that is what the readers of papers/on line want to know.

Obviously during negotiations, silence can be golden but the "pathway to the first team" has changed the narrative from  Adkins and Thomas Sandgaard has also curbed his "blow League 1 out of the water"

In many ways the 5 year plan should've been to establish our selves as a Championship team. 

Rumour created by Sam:
    With Purrington our only natural LB, we could do worse than give Charlie Daniels a one year contact if he hasn't  signed  for anyone. Assuming he is fit ? 

Would prefer a younger fitter overlapping Left attacking full back who can defend better than Ruud van Maatsen. This would help Washington to get closer to Stockley as having two right footed players on the left in Gunter and Conor totally negated our attacking ambitions on Saturday and is easy to defend against with a clued up defense.

• One shot on target
    We've had 1 shot on target 
    One shot on target
    We've had one shot on target 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    Quiet enjoying the revisionism of the RD era
    Grass was always greener on the other side springs to mind. 
    In retrospect players like Yoni Buyons, JBG, Vetokeke, Teixeira, Bulot & Watt were a damn sight better than Clare & Dobson. 
    Which of those were signed in league one?
    Taylor, Cullen, Bielik, Williams…. Even Jamie Ward and Billy Clarke 
    They weren't on his list? Point being, he's comparing two signing in one league one window to a series of signing made in the championship.

As for the players you've just listed.

Cullen and Bielik were loans

Taylor was a great signing on a free.

Williams is shit.
    I’d still have Williams back like a shot . We are desperate for some creativity in this current  midfield. 
    The funny thing is alot of last season's squad players would get in our team now. 

Shinnie & Maddison are arguably better / more creative than what we have in their positions today.

• Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    In retrospect players like Yoni Buyons, JBG, Vetokeke, Teixeira, Bulot & Watt were a damn sight better than Clare & Dobson. 
    They weren't on his list? Point being, he's comparing two signing in one league one window to a series of signing made in the championship.

Williams is shit.
    I’d still have Williams back like a shot . We are desperate for some creativity in this current  midfield. 
    The funny thing is alot of last season's squad players would get in our team now. 

Shinnie & Maddison are arguably better / more creative than what we have in their positions today.

Arguably so, but neither bring the physical edge and pressing that you need in the chosen formation. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Think Kirk is still pretty much done. Obviously the kid needs time to grieve.
    Was he there last night? In the match thread I made reference to a new player in the directors box, there was a blonde lad back left shaking hands etc looked as though he was being shown around. Probably nothing especially given his current circumstances but it caught my eye nonetheless.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:

Williams is shit.

Shinnie I would have kept.  Maddison, definitely not .  Adkins clearly wants us full of athletes .  
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:

Williams is shit.

Even Paul Smyth would be a better option as a backup wide attacking player than what we currently have as backup to Washington and DJ, the likes of Clayden and Ghandour.

• Said it before that I thought the rebuild would need to take a few windows. Build a real quality first eleven and decent alternatives. Much prefer signing two really good players each window and getting there over three windows. Fill in gaps with loans until the quality is reached. 
    By the time you've built your squad though, some of the better signings would already have been poached

Say DJ has a storming season as we finish 8th. Next summer there'll be interested from Championship clubs, not least the newly promoted ones from L1.

Modern football doesn't allow much time to build sides
    Hear you but. If as you say DJ has a storming season then if you have to sell you sell from a position of strength a get 2 million pounds. Invest that in the team with two 1 million pound players. Getting out of this division is very difficult. We won’t do it with average to just above average players. There will be eight teams like that.
    But who have we signed with the potential of a big transfer fee next summer? McG, Dobson and Clare are all solid L1 players, but none strike me as the sort of starlets that we could sell for a fat fee next summer if necessary, especially as all 3 are only on 2 year deals anyway, so will have just 1 year left next summer
    That’s my point. We’re buying players that are just above or even average. We need two or at least one top player every window. Certainly get players like Clare and Dobson in but players that get you promoted are going to cost. Hard fact of life.
  • I thought he had a release clause?
    If so why was it not triggered in Jan with bid reportedly higher than the current one ?
    No idea, that’s why I’m asking
  • Think Kirk is still pretty much done. Obviously the kid needs time to grieve.
    Was he there last night? In the match thread I made reference to a new player in the directors box, there was a blonde lad back left shaking hands etc looked as though he was being shown around. Probably nothing especially given his current circumstances but it caught my eye nonetheless.
    Don't think so. 
  • Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    You could also look at the 2012 team there too. 
  • Could be related to length of contract remaining. So in January he had over a year left (or over 2 years left, or whatever), so the release was £500k, now that we've passed June 30th, we're into the last year (or last 2 years, or whatever) and the release clause has dropped to £400k.

From the little I know that isn't that uncommon, for release clauses to scale depending on the length of contract remaining.
  • Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Players sold:
    Joe Gomez £4.4m

£4.4m, Jesus wept.
    and Mary, Joseph, and the Wee Donkey.. B)
  • edited August 2021
    Rothko said:
    Okay so in the interest of balance.  

Now give us a list of key players that Roland sold off for nothing/lower than market value Vs what TS has sold??

Roland outs

Button undisc
    Smith undisc
    Stephens undisc
    Alnwick free
    Yann undisc
    Hughes free
    Cook free
    Court free
    evina free
    Gower free
    Holland's free
    Hamer free
    Green free
    Pritchard free
    Devite free
    Poyet compo
    Wood free
    Morrison free
    Ben haim free
    Lepoint undisc
    Gomez 3.5 million
    Church free
    Eagles released 
    Etheridge free
    Onyewu released
    Bikey cancelled 
    Wilson released
    Wiggins undisc
    Nego free
    Vaz te free
    Moussa free
    Parzyszeck free
    Reza released 
    Motta released
    Piggott released
    Tucudean released 
    Dimitovic free
    Cousins undisc
    Gudmundsson undisc 
    Pope undisc
    Henderson free
    Harriot undisc
    Bergdich released
    Diarra released 
    Lookman - 11 million
    Foley released
    Fox undisc
    Ba released 
    Chicksen released 
    Johnson released 
    Texiera undisc
    Ceballos undisc
    Watt undisc
    Novak undisc
    Holmes undisc
    Crofts released 
    Konsa undisc 
    Lennon undisc
    Magennis undisc
    Kashi released
    Grant undisc
    Clarke free
    Ajose released 
    Aribo compo
    Bauer free
    Fosu free
    Marshall free
    Reeves free
    Parker free
    Ventokelle free
    Dijksteel undisc

Sandgaard outs

Lockyer free
    Bonne undisc (2mil)
    Phillips undisc 
    Lapslie undisc 
    Doughty undisc 
    Bogle undisc 
    Williams undisc 
    Amos free
    Aneke free
    Madison released 
    Deji released 
    Oztumer released 
    Pratley released 
    Shinnie released 

For curiosities sake 
  • Squad seems really short. You know we'll get injuries and will be complaining about lack of depth come November time 
  • Think Kirk is still pretty much done. Obviously the kid needs time to grieve.
    Do you think there was no truth in him being linked to Sheff Utd?
  • We have a short squad but a tall team for the first time in ages. Can't have it all I suppose ;-)
  • Squad seems really short. You know we'll get injuries and will be complaining about lack of depth come November time 
    People are complaining about it now......
    People are complaining about it now......
    I know, just shows how much needs to be done in the next few weeks.
  • cafc999 said:
    Macronate said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Players sold:
    Joe Gomez £4.4m

£4.4m, Jesus wept.
    I heard it was £3.5m
    I was told 2.9 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!