Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    cs1986 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    Surely we can wait for another 60 mins or so before calling this window either way and / or suggesting the need for a meltdown 
    Yeah, because after 3 months of the window being open signing someone with 60 mins to go is seen as a positive & part of a plan. 
    All clubs are doing it… it’s how it goes. It’s not ‘typical Charlton’ - it’s transfer deadline day. Like other clubs we’ve done most of our business already. 
    I don't think you've been paying attention. We've not "done most of our business already". We are still 5 or 6 players short of what is needed & dome players we've brought in (Clare & Dodson) are average League 1 players. And we've still not replaced last seasons top goal scorer. 

But apart from that everything's peachy.
    5 or 6, give over
    He’s not wrong. Have you seen our squad? So short in most departments. 
    GK, of which they said can be done after the window.

LB, agree.

STK, back up needed.

There’s a CB about to be signed.  So I make it 2 short, do you not think you’re being a tad dramatic?
    x1 winger 
    x1 good DM 
    This. A winger as we only have 2 that are good enough.

A DM as Dobson is shite.
    What wingers are good enough? Plus we now have Arter too. 
    CBT isn't. Our two are but you need more than 2 over a season especially when they will get kicked to pieces and DJ needs a rest more often.
  • Talal said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    It’s like people need something to hang their anger on, and a left back signing is it 
    I think the LB situation is baffling. Without even contemplating the position with Roddy or any of the situation behind that, I have no idea why we can't reasonably expect to have two left backs with a professional appearance between them at the club - particularly when our two right backs are one-footed and we don't have an obvious centre half or midfielder who can drop in there. This is before any consideration of Purrington's injury.
    Purrington with Gunter as back up for me is fine, it’s the not the reason we won’t get promoted, and the Roddy stuff is just a bunch of people with sand in their privates, who are desperate for something to blame.
    People said this about the CB situation in January and it turned out to be very "not fine". Gunter has been pretty terrible there, Crewe game aside.
    No it’s not, it’s nothing like that, having stability at centre half is crucial to the spine of a team, having to deal with a right footed left back is an inconvenience, not a deal breaker. 

What happens if the right back gets injured while the back up right back is filling in at left back? 
    Barker comes in at Right-Back?
    Is that good enough for a prolonged number of games? Maybe but I'm not sure. 
  • And you can quote me
  • But if your budget is tight and you need a back up to Stockley then it is a weird one.
  • And you can quote me
    Done
  • Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    It’s like people need something to hang their anger on, and a left back signing is it 
    I think the LB situation is baffling. Without even contemplating the position with Roddy or any of the situation behind that, I have no idea why we can't reasonably expect to have two left backs with a professional appearance between them at the club - particularly when our two right backs are one-footed and we don't have an obvious centre half or midfielder who can drop in there. This is before any consideration of Purrington's injury.
    Purrington with Gunter as back up for me is fine, it’s the not the reason we won’t get promoted, and the Roddy stuff is just a bunch of people with sand in their privates, who are desperate for something to blame.
    People said this about the CB situation in January and it turned out to be very "not fine". Gunter has been pretty terrible there, Crewe game aside.
    No it’s not, it’s nothing like that, having stability at centre half is crucial to the spine of a team, having to deal with a right footed left back is an inconvenience, not a deal breaker. 

What happens if the right back gets injured while the back up right back is filling in at left back? 
    Not sure... But equally cant think of anyone else who could play out there

Elewere maybe?
  • Leko would be good 
    Not what we need.....unless DJ or Kirk or Lee arent going to play.
    Isn't he a nippy striker? 
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    Surely we can wait for another 60 mins or so before calling this window either way and / or suggesting the need for a meltdown 
    Yeah, because after 3 months of the window being open signing someone with 60 mins to go is seen as a positive & part of a plan. 
    All clubs are doing it… it’s how it goes. It’s not ‘typical Charlton’ - it’s transfer deadline day. Like other clubs we’ve done most of our business already. 
    I don't think you've been paying attention. We've not "done most of our business already". We are still 5 or 6 players short of what is needed & dome players we've brought in (Clare & Dodson) are average League 1 players. And we've still not replaced last seasons top goal scorer. 

But apart from that everything's peachy.
    5 or 6, give over
    He’s not wrong. Have you seen our squad? So short in most departments. 
    GK, of which they said can be done after the window.

LB, agree.

STK, back up needed.

There’s a CB about to be signed.  So I make it 2 short, do you not think you’re being a tad dramatic?
    x1 winger 
    x1 good DM 
    Wingers we have Kirk, CBT, Jaiyesimi and also Washington who can do a job there.

DM, we have Arter now, that’s the good one.
    Washington isn’t a winger and CBT isn’t proven at this level. 

If leko signs that’s a great addition, but we’re still short. 
    Neither is Lionel Messi but I'd have given him a chance to prove his worth had we signed him. 
    Hahaha 🤔
  • Leko on a perm. Big statement of intent by TS 

just a guess btw 
    Unlikely permanent deals get done at any level this late on in the window. 
    I thought quiet a large number generally do. 
  • edited August 2021
    I'd take Leko in league one, Cheers Bowyer!
    I think we have enough wingers-cum-strikers. Lee is about the best one of these & it might be hard enough to squeeze him into the side atm. So its a no from me.
    There's a fucking surprise!

So even if we sign Leko we will still be "5 or 6 short"!
  • Rothko said:
    Exactly, I spent most of last season wanting Purrington to come in for Maatsen.
    agreed and adkins did that as well so not that surprised if we don't sign another LB although ideally a pacy marauding left back as well would have been a good addition 
  • Not signing a left back in this window is the same as not signing a centre back in the Jan window, leaves us so thin, threadbare and vulnerable to injuries in that area. 

I just don't understand how it now looks like we're not going to sign anyone in that area.   
    Agree totally.

and we are up shit creek without a wooden implement if Stockley gets injured.
  • edited August 2021
    Valley11 said:
    Leko is a weird one.
    Kirk, DJ, CBT, Clayden. Do we need another winger?
    Course we do CBT and Clayden are nowhere near the quality we require.
  • Why do they keep calling him a striker? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Not sure... But equally cant think of anyone else who could play out there

Elewere maybe?
    Or Gunter gets put on the right, maybe Famewo LB? In any case I just don't understand why we haven't brought in another LB when we've had so much time. 
  • Not signing a left back in this window is the same as not signing a centre back in the Jan window, leaves us so thin, threadbare and vulnerable to injuries in that area. 

I just don't understand how it now looks like we're not going to sign anyone in that area.   
    Agreed. Having a total of 3 senior right/left backs is asking for trouble
  • Off_it said:
    Honestly, you guys.

I can only imagine what you were like as children on Christmas Eve.
    More like Christmas morning and your parents promised 5-6 toys for 3 months and yet the only 2 presents under the tree are clearly just new socks.
    but you've already had nine presents in the run up to Christmas......

Now, whether those presents are good enough and will fit in with your existing toys is a different question but you've had nice presents already.
    But then those 9 presents were replacements for your toys that were taken away from you and given to other children in Birmingham, Wigan and Leyton or were only borrowed from children in Chelsea and Liverpool  ;)
  • Rothko said:
    Exactly, I spent most of last season wanting Purrington to come in for Maatsen.
    same here,his a decent LB in L1 and only 25,scores the odd important goal as well
  • Why do they keep calling him a striker? 
    Leko? - Not sure, we were the first side if I remember rightly to play him as a proper Striker
  • CBT works at all levels and a few people on here should give it a try. 
  • Talal said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Sign Paul Smyth and ask him to do a job
    I gave you a lol, but don’t ever joke about that again. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!