Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• What does everyone think about Leko?
    He’s certainly not a striker.
  • Off_it said:
    Honestly, you guys.

I can only imagine what you were like as children on Christmas Eve.
    More like Christmas morning and your parents promised 5-6 toys for 3 months and yet the only 2 presents under the tree are clearly just new socks.
    but you've already had nine presents in the run up to Christmas......

Now, whether those presents are good enough and will fit in with your existing toys is a different question but you've had nice presents already.
  • I know there’s a bit of poker/Who blinks first played in these transfer windows but I’m still none the wiser of ‘working around the clock’ and ‘leaving it all really late’ entails. I can’t imagine it’s like the offices in Wolf of Wall Street down in SE7.
  • cfgs said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    We aint even taken our full quota of loans have we?
    Two slots left
    Got to assume we will take 2 loaness then unless Adkins has told those above that he's happy to bleed in our youngsters.
    I won't argue if that's the plan.
    At this time of the night I cant see Lavelle and two loans coming in.

Its a frustrating / bitter sweet scenario if we dont fill our quota as towards the end of the season there were a lot of complaints about people getting fed up of us signing five loans each summer as we need to build our own squad

So its good we've reduced our quota at the present.

But we still need a Left-Back
    We definitely should not feel obliged to use 5 loans just because we can have up to 5 loans in a matchday squad.

However, we are going to end up obliged to use 5 loans because we don't have a sufficient number of senior players under permanent contract.
    Pretty much. If we don't take 5 loans then we are putting a lot of trust in our youngsters in this league.

Elerewe is the only youth player close to the level needed for the first team squad just now.
    We have a few good youth players.
    Would fans be happy us playing them in a tough L1?
    Adkins might be thinking its the way forward.
    Clayden might get 10 minutes now and again. Who else do you think could help us win games this season? Nobody I have seen yet for sure.
    Barker is a player to bleed in in my opinion.
    He is too short for a centre back and not fast enough as a fullback
    Chris Perry? Franco Baresi?
    Cannavaro
  • Leko would be great at this level but who do we drop?
    Competes with the wingers if we play Stockley up top on his own

Competes with Washington for the place alongside Stockley in a 4-4-2 role
    I agree but you’d think he’d be an automatic starter or Birmingham wouldn’t bother sending him here. 

I’d be amazed if we landed him as he’s quality
  • Valley11 said:
    Leko is a weird one.
    Kirk, DJ, CBT, Clayden. Do we need another winger?
    He wasn’t really a winger for us was he? 
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    It’s like people need something to hang their anger on, and a left back signing is it 
    I think the LB situation is baffling. Without even contemplating the position with Roddy or any of the situation behind that, I have no idea why we can't reasonably expect to have two left backs with a professional appearance between them at the club - particularly when our two right backs are one-footed and we don't have an obvious centre half or midfielder who can drop in there. This is before any consideration of Purrington's injury.
    Purrington with Gunter as back up for me is fine, it’s the not the reason we won’t get promoted, and the Roddy stuff is just a bunch of people with sand in their privates, who are desperate for something to blame.
    People said this about the CB situation in January and it turned out to be very "not fine". Gunter has been pretty terrible there, Crewe game aside.
    No it’s not, it’s nothing like that, having stability at centre half is crucial to the spine of a team, having to deal with a right footed left back is an inconvenience, not a deal breaker. 

What happens if the right back gets injured while the back up right back is filling in at left back? 
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    Surely we can wait for another 60 mins or so before calling this window either way and / or suggesting the need for a meltdown 
    Yeah, because after 3 months of the window being open signing someone with 60 mins to go is seen as a positive & part of a plan. 
    All clubs are doing it… it’s how it goes. It’s not ‘typical Charlton’ - it’s transfer deadline day. Like other clubs we’ve done most of our business already. 
    I don't think you've been paying attention. We've not "done most of our business already". We are still 5 or 6 players short of what is needed & dome players we've brought in (Clare & Dodson) are average League 1 players. And we've still not replaced last seasons top goal scorer. 

But apart from that everything's peachy.
    5 or 6, give over
    He’s not wrong. Have you seen our squad? So short in most departments. 
    GK, of which they said can be done after the window.

LB, agree.

STK, back up needed.

There’s a CB about to be signed.  So I make it 2 short, do you not think you’re being a tad dramatic?
    x1 winger 
    x1 good DM 
    Wingers we have Kirk, CBT, Jaiyesimi and also Washington who can do a job there.

DM, we have Arter now, that’s the good one.
    Washington isn’t a winger and CBT isn’t proven at this level. 

If leko signs that’s a great addition, but we’re still short. 
    Neither is Lionel Messi but I'd have given him a chance to prove his worth had we signed him. 
    Was messi’s last club Tranmere?
  • Hope he's still got the same burst of pace after his ACL
    This exactly.  If he is still fast and his injury has not had long term affects on him he will be real quality in L1 and covers a lot of places across the attacking group of players so would be delighted if we had got him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    It’s like people need something to hang their anger on, and a left back signing is it 
    I think the LB situation is baffling. Without even contemplating the position with Roddy or any of the situation behind that, I have no idea why we can't reasonably expect to have two left backs with a professional appearance between them at the club - particularly when our two right backs are one-footed and we don't have an obvious centre half or midfielder who can drop in there. This is before any consideration of Purrington's injury.
    Purrington with Gunter as back up for me is fine, it’s the not the reason we won’t get promoted, and the Roddy stuff is just a bunch of people with sand in their privates, who are desperate for something to blame.
    Basically going to have to rely on the "we'll score more than the opposition" approach.
    That’s generally how football works…
    Thanks Sherlock - Provided we keep them out ourselves...
  • Talal said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    People said this about the CB situation in January and it turned out to be very "not fine". Gunter has been pretty terrible there, Crewe game aside.
    No it’s not, it’s nothing like that, having stability at centre half is crucial to the spine of a team, having to deal with a right footed left back is an inconvenience, not a deal breaker. 

What happens if the right back gets injured while the back up right back is filling in at left back? 
    Don’t matter we’re going to a back three
  • Leko on a perm. Big statement of intent by TS 

just a guess btw 
    Unlikely permanent deals get done at any level this late on in the window. 
  • paulfox said:
    Valley11 said:
    Leko is a weird one.
    He wasn’t really a winger for us was he? 
    He wasn't but he wasn't an out an out striker either. I can only see him fitting into our 433 as a winger - bloody great one I have to add.
  • Talal said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

You play Leko there.
  • I want a left back, but if it’s a left back or Leko I’d take Leko I think.

Barker could fill in at right back for Matthews?
  • Leko has been struggling since the injury
    Who are the two in the bag ?
  • Sponsored links:

• cfgs said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    We aint even taken our full quota of loans have we?
    Two slots left
    Got to assume we will take 2 loaness then unless Adkins has told those above that he's happy to bleed in our youngsters.
    I won't argue if that's the plan.
    At this time of the night I cant see Lavelle and two loans coming in.

Its a frustrating / bitter sweet scenario if we dont fill our quota as towards the end of the season there were a lot of complaints about people getting fed up of us signing five loans each summer as we need to build our own squad

So its good we've reduced our quota at the present.

But we still need a Left-Back
    We definitely should not feel obliged to use 5 loans just because we can have up to 5 loans in a matchday squad.

However, we are going to end up obliged to use 5 loans because we don't have a sufficient number of senior players under permanent contract.
    Pretty much. If we don't take 5 loans then we are putting a lot of trust in our youngsters in this league.

Elerewe is the only youth player close to the level needed for the first team squad just now.
    We have a few good youth players.
    Would fans be happy us playing them in a tough L1?
    Adkins might be thinking its the way forward.
    Clayden might get 10 minutes now and again. Who else do you think could help us win games this season? Nobody I have seen yet for sure.
    Barker is a player to bleed in in my opinion.
    He is too short for a centre back and not fast enough as a fullback
    Chris Perry? Franco Baresi?
    Cannavaro
    Was going to say him as well but couldn't remember how to spell his name. Perry was great for us and Baresi was the man when I was a kid and you never noticed his lack of height.
  • Rothko said:
    Did you see Jaiyesimi’s goal on Saturday?
    Still wouldn’t mind an attack minded LB though. 
  • All loans.
  • Talal said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Barker comes in at Right-Back?
  • Didn't rate Leko.

Good night
  • Leko would be good 
    Not what we need.....unless DJ or Kirk or Lee arent going to play.
  • Talal said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Sign Paul Smyth and ask him to do a job
  • Valley11 said:
    Leko is a weird one.
    Clayden not good enough yet from the little I have seen of him.  CBT completely unproven and only 4 months.  Could send Clayden to non league on loan now assuming can be done after the window?
  • We aint even gonna be near the top with this squad
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!