Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Leko would be great at this level but who do we drop?
    Squad 
  • Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    We aint even taken our full quota of loans have we?
    Two slots left
    Got to assume we will take 2 loaness then unless Adkins has told those above that he's happy to bleed in our youngsters.
    I won't argue if that's the plan.
    At this time of the night I cant see Lavelle and two loans coming in.

Its a frustrating / bitter sweet scenario if we dont fill our quota as towards the end of the season there were a lot of complaints about people getting fed up of us signing five loans each summer as we need to build our own squad

So its good we've reduced our quota at the present.

But we still need a Left-Back
    We definitely should not feel obliged to use 5 loans just because we can have up to 5 loans in a matchday squad.

However, we are going to end up obliged to use 5 loans because we don't have a sufficient number of senior players under permanent contract.
    Pretty much. If we don't take 5 loans then we are putting a lot of trust in our youngsters in this league.

Elerewe is the only youth player close to the level needed for the first team squad just now.
    We have a few good youth players.
    Would fans be happy us playing them in a tough L1?
    Adkins might be thinking its the way forward.
    Clayden might get 10 minutes now and again. Who else do you think could help us win games this season? Nobody I have seen yet for sure.
    Barker is a player to bleed in in my opinion.
    Some of us were saying the exact same thing this time last season. And again when we had the injury crisis in Nov & Dec
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    It’s like people need something to hang their anger on, and a left back signing is it 
    I think the LB situation is baffling. Without even contemplating the position with Roddy or any of the situation behind that, I have no idea why we can't reasonably expect to have two left backs with a professional appearance between them at the club - particularly when our two right backs are one-footed and we don't have an obvious centre half or midfielder who can drop in there. This is before any consideration of Purrington's injury.
    Purrington with Gunter as back up for me is fine, it’s the not the reason we won’t get promoted, and the Roddy stuff is just a bunch of people with sand in their privates, who are desperate for something to blame.
    I don't think Purrington is good enough, and Gunter can't cover both full back positions for an entire season. It's just a basic part of the squad that lacks quality and depth in my eyes. Not fussed about Roddy - regardless of his name, he is ultimately an academy player who has never made an appearance in senior league football and is therefore a stretch to be part of a senior squad at this point.

We are really missing a trick in getting the best out of Kirk as well.
  • cs1986 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    Surely we can wait for another 60 mins or so before calling this window either way and / or suggesting the need for a meltdown 
    Yeah, because after 3 months of the window being open signing someone with 60 mins to go is seen as a positive & part of a plan. 
    All clubs are doing it… it’s how it goes. It’s not ‘typical Charlton’ - it’s transfer deadline day. Like other clubs we’ve done most of our business already. 
    I don't think you've been paying attention. We've not "done most of our business already". We are still 5 or 6 players short of what is needed & dome players we've brought in (Clare & Dodson) are average League 1 players. And we've still not replaced last seasons top goal scorer. 

But apart from that everything's peachy.
    5 or 6, give over
    He’s not wrong. Have you seen our squad? So short in most departments. 
    GK, of which they said can be done after the window.

LB, agree.

STK, back up needed.

There’s a CB about to be signed.  So I make it 2 short, do you not think you’re being a tad dramatic?
    x1 winger 
    x1 good DM 
    This. A winger as we only have 2 that are good enough.

A DM as Dobson is shite.
    What wingers are good enough? Plus we now have Arter too. 
  • I’d be pleasantly surprised if we managed to bring Leko back. Can Bowyer come with him? 
    Leko has failed to score a single goal at Birmingham, I can't imagine they'll be heartbroken to let him go
  • Leko in League One - out of our seats… Can only hope this is genuine. Still praying for a LB mind.
  • What does everyone think about Leko?
  • DOUCHER said:
    hoping for a striker and lavelle personally - use loans for a LB and goalkeeper and maybe another and think we are there 
    Loan deadline is 11pm tonight too.
    oh ok - i should know by now - statement retracted although i do see another striker as more vital than a left back if purrington back soon - leko would do me 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dizzle said:
    Any free agent attacking left backs we could sign that don’t need to be done tonight? 
    You'll have a better idea tomorrow when all the contracts have been cancelled tonight. 
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    It’s like people need something to hang their anger on, and a left back signing is it 
    I think the LB situation is baffling. Without even contemplating the position with Roddy or any of the situation behind that, I have no idea why we can't reasonably expect to have two left backs with a professional appearance between them at the club - particularly when our two right backs are one-footed and we don't have an obvious centre half or midfielder who can drop in there. This is before any consideration of Purrington's injury.
    Purrington with Gunter as back up for me is fine, it’s not the reason we won’t get promoted, and the Roddy stuff is just a bunch of people with sand in their privates, who are desperate for something to blame.
    That is no where near good enough to have a RB as back up come on even you must see its poor
  • I'm not sure where Leko fits in actually but useful to have on the bench at the very least. Or could play down the wing, gives us decent options in the final third. 
    Can he play LB?
  • Leuth said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Purrington with Gunter as back up for me is fine, it’s the not the reason we won’t get promoted, and the Roddy stuff is just a bunch of people with sand in their privates, who are desperate for something to blame.
    Basically going to have to rely on the "we'll score more than the opposition" approach.
    I mean, got any other bright ideas?
    I'd prefer it if we kept clean sheets and only had to score one... But you knew I meant that didnt you

We showed last season that you cant expect to keep conceding twice (which we're already consistently doing) and still win the game
  • Leko would be great at this level but who do we drop?

Anyone not in defence or goal.
  • edited August 2021
    You do wonder if the number of people who want sex on the transfer deadline day is much lower than most days
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    TeeC said:
    TeeC said:
    Surely we can wait for another 60 mins or so before calling this window either way and / or suggesting the need for a meltdown 
    Yeah, because after 3 months of the window being open signing someone with 60 mins to go is seen as a positive & part of a plan. 
    All clubs are doing it… it’s how it goes. It’s not ‘typical Charlton’ - it’s transfer deadline day. Like other clubs we’ve done most of our business already. 
    I don't think you've been paying attention. We've not "done most of our business already". We are still 5 or 6 players short of what is needed & dome players we've brought in (Clare & Dodson) are average League 1 players. And we've still not replaced last seasons top goal scorer. 

But apart from that everything's peachy.
    5 or 6, give over
    He’s not wrong. Have you seen our squad? So short in most departments. 
    GK, of which they said can be done after the window.

LB, agree.

STK, back up needed.

There’s a CB about to be signed.  So I make it 2 short, do you not think you’re being a tad dramatic?
    x1 winger 
    x1 good DM 
    Wingers we have Kirk, CBT, Jaiyesimi and also Washington who can do a job there.

DM, we have Arter now, that’s the good one.
    Washington isn’t a winger and CBT isn’t proven at this level. 

If leko signs that’s a great addition, but we’re still short. 
    Neither is Lionel Messi but I'd have given him a chance to prove his worth had we signed him. 
    Can't see that one happening.
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    People said this about the CB situation in January and it turned out to be very "not fine". Gunter has been pretty terrible there, Crewe game aside.
    No it’s not, it’s nothing like that, having stability at centre half is crucial to the spine of a team, having to deal with a right footed left back is an inconvenience, not a deal breaker. 

• Sponsored links:

• I remember leko being able to play either wing or upfront so offers alot

in champ he would of been a decent squad addition in league 1 this could and should be pretty big !
  • Hope he's still got the same burst of pace after his ACL
  • Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    We aint even taken our full quota of loans have we?
    Two slots left
    Got to assume we will take 2 loaness then unless Adkins has told those above that he's happy to bleed in our youngsters.
    I won't argue if that's the plan.
    At this time of the night I cant see Lavelle and two loans coming in.

Its a frustrating / bitter sweet scenario if we dont fill our quota as towards the end of the season there were a lot of complaints about people getting fed up of us signing five loans each summer as we need to build our own squad

So its good we've reduced our quota at the present.

But we still need a Left-Back
    We definitely should not feel obliged to use 5 loans just because we can have up to 5 loans in a matchday squad.

However, we are going to end up obliged to use 5 loans because we don't have a sufficient number of senior players under permanent contract.
    Pretty much. If we don't take 5 loans then we are putting a lot of trust in our youngsters in this league.

Elerewe is the only youth player close to the level needed for the first team squad just now.
    We have a few good youth players.
    Would fans be happy us playing them in a tough L1?
    Adkins might be thinking its the way forward.
    Clayden might get 10 minutes now and again. Who else do you think could help us win games this season? Nobody I have seen yet for sure.
    Barker is a player to bleed in in my opinion.
    Some of us were saying the exact same thing this time last season. And again when we had the injury crisis in Nov & Dec
    I was one of them.

• Leko is a weird one.
    Kirk, DJ, CBT, Clayden. Do we need another winger?
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    People said this about the CB situation in January and it turned out to be very "not fine". Gunter has been pretty terrible there, Crewe game aside.
    No it’s not, it’s nothing like that, having stability at centre half is crucial to the spine of a team, having to deal with a right footed left back is an inconvenience, not a deal breaker. 

In fairness a lot of people have talked about an attacking left back to also improve Kirk's game. 
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Basically going to have to rely on the "we'll score more than the opposition" approach.
    That’s generally how football works…
  • edited August 2021
    Leko on a perm. Big statement of intent by TS 

just a guess btw 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!