Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• We have a half decent squad so we have made progress but still a bit light up front. Adkins has enough to work with and we're moving in the right direction.

• Very good window, would say 2 signings away from excellent, 3 from perfect.

There is a limit on squad size.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Very good window, would say 2 signings away from excellent, 3 from perfect.

There is a limit on squad size.
    How many spaces do we have?

If it’s true that we’re after two free agents they’ll presumably be two of a GK, LB and striker.
  • edited September 2021
    CAFCsayer said:
    Decent window and we've spent some cash, but if Purrington or Stockley get injured we are stuffed 
    Possibly, but it would depend on when they were injured, as there’s always the January window. 
    Also, strikes me that Gunter may be improving in that LB position, and I remember Magennis getting injured and we picked up a four one away win. Stockley may be better than Josh, but he’s less influential than Lyle Taylor. Wiith our more new improved midfield I think we’ll be creating more chance and getting more players into the box. 
    Of course continuing the optimistic vibe, we may pick up a free agent left back, we’ll see. The birds are singing etc etc. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Decent window and we've spent some cash, but if Purrington or Stockley get injured we are stuffed 
    Possibly, but it would depend on when they were injured, as there’s always the January window. 
    Also, strikes me that Gunter may be improving in that LB position, and I remember Magennis getting injured and we picked up a four one away win. Stockley may be better than Josh, but he’s less influential than Lyle Taylor. Wiith our more new improved midfield I think we’ll be creating more chance and getting more players into the box. 
    Of course continuing the optimistic vibe, we may pick up a free agent left back, we’ll see. 
    We have options now in midfield and hopefully they can also contribute with goals. Things are looking brighter.
  • edited September 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Of course continuing the optimistic vibe, we may pick up a free agent left back, we’ll see. The birds are singing etc etc. 
    Not in the way Adkins wants to set up. But he may just have to accept he can’t play that way without Stockley, if the worst happens.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Need someone to hold up the ball and bring the midfield into play for them to score goals... Leko isnt going to do that. With Stockley this team looks very dangerous, without him, i'm not sure that the ball will stick
  • edited September 2021
    Would be no bad thing not to get too stuck in the rut of only playing one way, as per the game without Magennis which was probably the best performance of the season if my memory isn’t playing tricks on me. 
    Agree that the Wigan defeat might have been a blessing in disguise in terms of recruitment, after the Oxford and MK away defeats. Felt that at the time. 
  • Do we think there is method behind all of our loans being linked to the club in one way or another , Akin , Leko and Arter were here before and Lee has family links , perhaps the management  think that they may be more interested in the club improving rather than just seeing out a loan spell ?
  • edited September 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    Very good window, would say 2 signings away from excellent, 3 from perfect.

Yesterday’s dealings look very good .  I suspect they’ve looked at this as a 2 year rebuild - we are, imo, a striker away from promotion 

A two year rebuilt may well happen. We need to play attractive but winning football.

I hinted at this by saying my 5 year plan was being where Millwall or Preston are now and having progressed not only on the field but kept our better youngsters; Deji and Burstow who in my opinion and I'm sure in the coaches and Management of CAFC,  will play higher than League 1.

The biggest problem for Charlton fans/critics is the mindset that we have a right to be in the Championship; We Don't.

We now have a combination of Journeymen, youngsters and players that have played at their peak in the premier and Championship.

Steve Gallen, Ged Roddy, JJ, Jason and with Thomas Sandgaard backing we have assembled a squad that will give us a chance of top 6. Gallen alone will have thousands of contacts in football and I have seen how it works lower down the Pyramid. 

My mantra stays the same. Relationships and link up play with variety will determine if we get to the promise land of the Championship. 
  • AndyG said:
    I dont think anyone can now say we dont have enough firepower ! DJ, Kirk, CBT, Leko ! other teams will be terrified by that lot.

Midfield also looking really strong with plenty of options. Yes it would have been decent to get another LB in but you cant have everything and I know Gunter got some stick but imo he didnt do much wrong.

Lavelle will be a great signing and adds to an already decent backline.

Whats not to like ?
    If only we had a decent centre forward who wins everything thing in the air to go along with that lot we’d be laughing! 😉
  • Well Leko is the icing on the cake.
    I'm off to bed very very happy and I sympathise with everyone who still think we need 5/6 players etc etc.
    Well done TS, SG & the team, you played a blinder.
    What a night! An entertaining 6-1 win as the precursor to further excitement. Then late doors voulez-vous! (Get it?)
  • I presume the club are now looking at unattached left wing backs ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    AndyG said:
    I dont think anyone can now say we dont have enough firepower ! DJ, Kirk, CBT, Leko ! other teams will be terrified by that lot.

Midfield also looking really strong with plenty of options. Yes it would have been decent to get another LB in but you cant have everything and I know Gunter got some stick but imo he didnt do much wrong.

Lavelle will be a great signing and adds to an already decent backline.

Whats not to like ?
    If only we had a decent centre forward who wins everything thing in the air to go along with that lot we’d be laughing! 😉

Plus the variety of a  pass on the deck to a goal scoring Attacking midfielder ?

Elliott Lee you may never have a better chance to finish top scorer at Cafc if you stay fit. 

Just my opinion but if the ball is on or around the deck Lee and Davidson are the best strikers of a football. Stockley is supreme in the air and a great leader of the attack.

• The forwards will improve with better service and in the players that have now been brought into the club, plus the eventual return of Gilbey and Forster Caskey, we should see an improvement in the performances.
  • Not sure the thinking behind not signing a left back. It throws the whole balance of the team out of kilter for me. The rest of the team / squad looks to me like if things gel, then we could claw ourselves back into top six contention but not signing that player looks very risky to me. Free agents still out there. Anyone we should be on the phone to ? 
  • Too early to judge the transfer business or close this thread as we now have a rumour of two free transfers lined up. 😃

I wonder just how good our U18's are. Maybe 1-2 years away from first team?  If so this season could be big for the club, find a way to be promoted and if the likes of Beadle, Burstow, Elerwre, Kanu etc come good maybe with some of our signings we have a core to not only compete in the Championship but either give it a go or sell for significant sums.  If we stay down they will all be off in the blink of an eye.
  • Didn't read the whole thread but scored the window 7.5/10

Read on and Golfie had scored the window 7.5/10

I need a lie down.
    Ha ha, I do find it unusual after spending weeks complaining about not buying the players Ipswich and Wigan were buying, and leaving to it the last minute etc... he goes and scores it the same score I have.

I said I would wait until the transfer window 'slammed shut' before I made judgement on how I think it went - and overall I am very happy.

If I could change anything it would probably have been to have brought in one less midfielder/winger and got a left back instead, and off-loaded Schwartz for another striker.

All in all though I feel like Adkins has the tools to mount a very serious challenge this year. 
  • edited September 2021
    This squad would have got promotion last season (based on the quality of division one last year). This year however the league has more big clubs (Bolton, Sheff Weds etc), clubs that have been building / progressing for years and are now promotion contenders (Oxford) and new big spenders (Ipswich & Wigan) that have spent at a level that has rarely been seen in this league.....making the challenge of promotion alot tougher.

The good news though is that after yesterday we DO now have a squad that can compete (which we didn't at the start of the season)...so its all to play for! 
  • Plenty of options now for different formations. 

a midfield 3 of Arter , Lee and Gilbey - is as good as anything in League 1 

a forward line of Stockley , Leko and Washington will get goals.

and thats not mentioning Kirk , DJ , Ronnie, Davison, Clare, Dobson , JFC , Albie , Watson. 

Very positive and yes i still think Ronnie will come good this season. 
  • Can't see Ronnie being included in the 22 man squad to be honest. It's a shame as I thought this season we would get to see the real Ronnie Schwartz but unfortunately not
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!