Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Gunter, Matthews, Purrington, Inniss, Famewo, Lavelle, Pearce, Watson, Dobson, Clare, Dempsey, Gilbey, JFC, Arter, Lee, DJ, Kirk, CBT, Leko, Washington, Stockley, Davison, Schwartz. 

23 players who would count for the squad cap rules. Could have an effect on whether we will dip into the free agent market. Dempsey, Schwartz and JFC are the obvious ones who may not be included. 

Some brutal decisions will have to be made in January concerning the sheer number of central midfielders taking up squad places, unless that rule is scrapped, as JFC should be fit by then and Gilbey before then. We may need to free up a couple of squad places
    I suspect Dempsey and Schwartz may be the two who wouldn't be in our squad post January. Even then I agree another CM could drop out as Morgan is added to list too. 
  • felix_31 said:
    felix_31 said:
    In my opinion... Great window. Strong team. Spent well over £1,000,000 signing young, talented, motivated players on long term contracts. Also signed players with links to CAFC (Lee, Arter, Leko & Clare) and signed natural leaders and players of the season (Lavelle Kirk & MacG). I also think the temperament of the players we've brought in has been well thought through.

Whats not to like? Yes, we might be a LB or a ST short, but I reckon we might dip into the free transfer market to plug whatever minute holes there might be.

Finally, a sensible window, not one where our sole target is to bring In 'bodies.'
    Wow we spent a million.
    I will go Charlton and support the team as Always but I'm not expecting us to be anywhere near the play-offs.
    I think this is a below average squad.
    I hope I am wrong I honestly do.
    Playing some youngsters through the season will keep me interested and then mount a challenge next season. I'm not in a rush for promotion like others 

I agree re. not rushing - however would you not agree this window is a step in the right direction though, a solid base on which to build? 
    Yes I'd agree we are building.
    I've no problem with that.
    But this squad compared to Sheff Wd, Sunderland,Ipswich even Oxford,  we won't be challenging 
    Way too early to make that prediction. We don't know enough about Lavelle. Dobson and Clare need to improve, but made that first step tonight. We don't know what Leko or Arter we're getting either. I'd also predict few people know much about other League 1 squads in too much depth. Oxford look to have a very decent side but a lot of unknowns beyond that. 
  • Gunter, Matthews, Purrington, Inniss, Famewo, Lavelle, Pearce, Watson, Dobson, Clare, Dempsey, Gilbey, JFC, Arter, Lee, DJ, Kirk, CBT, Leko, Washington, Stockley, Davison, Schwartz. 

23 players who would count for the squad cap rules. Could have an effect on whether we will dip into the free agent market. Dempsey, Schwartz and JFC are the obvious ones who may not be included. 

Some brutal decisions will have to be made in January concerning the sheer number of central midfielders taking up squad places, unless that rule is scrapped, as JFC should be fit by then and Gilbey before then. We may need to free up a couple of squad places
    I suspect Dempsey and Schwartz may be the two who wouldn't be in our squad post January. Even then I agree another CM could drop out as Morgan is added to list too. 
    I assume you mean JFC? Morgan would presumably be underage for the whole season, and only become part of the squad cap in 22/23
  • Sponsored links:

I assume you mean JFC? Morgan would presumably be underage for the whole season, and only become part of the squad cap in 22/23
    No I mean post January when JFC is back. Now I expect 21 included with Dempsey and JFC missing out. I suspect JFC will replace Schwartz in January to keep it at 21. 

And yes I know Morgan isn't included, just mean he is in terms of CM's available so when JFC is back we have an extra body to consider. 
  • thenewbie said:
    felix_31 said:
    felix_31 said:
    In my opinion... Great window. Strong team. Spent well over £1,000,000 signing young, talented, motivated players on long term contracts. Also signed players with links to CAFC (Lee, Arter, Leko & Clare) and signed natural leaders and players of the season (Lavelle Kirk & MacG). I also think the temperament of the players we've brought in has been well thought through.

Whats not to like? Yes, we might be a LB or a ST short, but I reckon we might dip into the free transfer market to plug whatever minute holes there might be.

Finally, a sensible window, not one where our sole target is to bring In 'bodies.'
    Wow we spent a million.
    I will go Charlton and support the team as Always but I'm not expecting us to be anywhere near the play-offs.
    Playing some youngsters through the season will keep me interested and then mount a challenge next season. I'm not in a rush for promotion like others 

I agree re. not rushing - however would you not agree this window is a step in the right direction though, a solid base on which to build? 
    Yes I'd agree we are building.
    I've no problem with that.
    But this squad compared to Sheff Wd, Sunderland,Ipswich even Oxford,  we won't be challenging 
    Way too early to make that prediction. We don't know enough about Lavelle. Dobson and Clare need to improve, but made that first step tonight. We don't know what Leko or Arter we're getting either. I'd also predict few people know much about other League 1 squads in too much depth. Oxford look to have a very decent side but a lot of unknowns beyond that. 
    2 injuries and we are screwed mate
    I think that puts us in the same position as 90% of the teams in the division though. In terms of pure numbers, most teams seem to have made roughly the same amount of signings as we have so I can't imagine that it's only Charlton facing potential injury crises.
    We're coming out of a pandemic which as badly affected football clubs everywhere. Barcelona were holding a fire sale today! With this and the squad cap, like you say a lot of clubs in exactly the same position. We'll need a bit of luck but we added players today, it's slightly unbalanced but could have been a lot worse. 
  • I've gone on about a left back so will make this the last time. We cannot push for promotion with one recognised LB. We cannot push for promotion if Stockley gets injured. 
    Sorry to sound like a negative nelly and I really hope I am wrong but the balance of our squad seems all over the place.
    I will  support of course but just have a bad feeling about this manager and this team. 
    Is that allowed on here or not?
  • I've gone on about a left back so will make this the last time. We cannot push for promotion with one recognised LB. We cannot push for promotion if Stockley gets injured. 
    Sorry to sound like a negative nelly and I really hope I am wrong but the balance of our squad seems all over the place.
    I will  support of course but just have a bad feeling about this manager and this team. 
    Charlton Athletic 2018/2019 - One left back who got injured. Then one fit left back for the second half the season. End of season result - promoted. 
    So that's 2 left backs

Overage players - 23
    Defenders - Gunter, Matthews, Purrington, Inniss, Famewo, Lavelle, Pearce - 7
    Central midfielders - Watson, Dobson, Clare, Dempsey, Gilbey, JFC, Arter - 7
    Attacking midfielders/wingers - Lee, DJ, Kirk, CBT, Leko - 5
    Strikers - Washington, Stockley, Davison, Schwartz - 4

It's struck me that we haven't been that cute with the age profile of our summer signings, in that a number of them are between 22 and 24 - Famewo, Lavelle, Clare, Dobson, Kirk, CBT, Leko - but NONE of them are under 21, and outside the squad number cap
    Charlton Athletic 2018/2019 - One left back who got injured. Then one fit left back for the second half the season. End of season result - promoted. 
    So that's 2 left backs

One of whom was always injured. We went into that season with one left-back who everyone knew would be injured, Purrington doesn't carry the same risk. In the second half of the season we had one who played. We have that now. In fact, it's the same guy. 

Overage players - 23
    Defenders - Gunter, Matthews, Purrington, Inniss, Famewo, Lavelle, Pearce - 7
    Central midfielders - Watson, Dobson, Clare, Dempsey, Gilbey, JFC, Arter - 7
    Attacking midfielders/wingers - Lee, DJ, Kirk, CBT, Leko - 5
    Strikers - Washington, Stockley, Davison, Schwartz - 4

It's struck me that we haven't been that cute with the age profile of our summer signings, in that a number of them are between 22 and 24 - Famewo, Lavelle, Clare, Dobson, Kirk, CBT, Leko - but NONE of them are under 21, and outside the squad number cap
    Definitely thought we'd sign at least one on loan U21, particularly given the link to someone like Omole. 
  • Sponsored links:

Maybe if we had had LB cover in the first half of the season, we would have got automatic promotion, as the rest of the side was so good. We only finished 3 points behind Barnsley
  • I would rank the signings in groups:

- Those who I think will turn out to be solid signings:

Stockley 
    Famewo
    MacGillivray
    Lee
    Kirk
    Lavelle

- The risks that could go either way:

Leko
    Arter
    CBT

- Those who should only be squad fillers as they aren’t really good enough for promotion:

Clare
    Dobson

- Future Charlton legends:

Roddy

Do I think we will go down now? no and compared to where we were two weeks ago I will take that. Do I think we will challenge for promotion? No - I don’t think that’s realistic.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle of the table. Could have been a lot worse but could have been better.
    Maybe if we had had LB cover in the first half of the season, we would have got automatic promotion, as the rest of the side was so good. We only finished 3 points behind Barnsley
    Fair point. Had we signed Purrington in the summer, we might well have. The point is you can almost rule Page out, he played 27 games for us in 3.5 years, that's an average of about 8 games a season. We managed to get promoted despite that, so it can be done. We need a bit of luck but it doesn't end our hopes in isolation. 
    So that's 2 left backs

One of whom was always injured. We went into that season with one left-back who everyone knew would be injured, Purrington doesn't carry the same risk. In the second half of the season we had one who played. We have that now. In fact, it's the same guy. 
    OK
    I think you have contradicted yourself but I'm not commenting again about LB 
    Let's wait and see 
    So that's 2 left backs

OK
    I think you have contradicted yourself but I'm not commenting again about LB 
    Let's wait and see 
    I don't think I have. I don't think you can really count Lewis Page because he was always injured. Famewo has spent a massive chunk of his time here out injured and he's already played for Charlton as much as Page did.

I do get your point though, I am disappointed we didn't address the issue, not just today but weeks ago when Purrington got injured. There are a few left backs out there on a free whether they are good enough is another question but it wouldn't hurt to take a look. Either way, it's disappointing but if Ben stays fit I don't believe it's the end of the world.
  • edited September 2021
    I've gone on about a left back so will make this the last time. We cannot push for promotion with one recognised LB. We cannot push for promotion if Stockley gets injured. 
    It's fair to think that but I think you are vastly overestimating other teams relative to us. I doubt there's many squads/teams in the whole league that are perfectly balanced and have quality in depth.

Yes a few injuries could screw us over, but that's not just us. Any team in the league is a few injuries away from disaster.
  • felix_31 said:

Wow we spent a million.

🐓
  • edited September 2021
    The honest truth is I don’t know much about any of our new signings except Leko, Famewo, and Stockley as they have played for us before and Arter because I’ve actually seen him play. The rest, mostly never heard of them before they showed up here.  

Time will tell if we’ve done good business or not. I think we needed a left back for sure so that is a hole that we must hope we can plug temporarily for now and fix properly in January or with an unattached player.

I also worry what happens if Stockley gets injured. They seem to have faith in Davison though. 

The rest of the players all have questions attached, so it’s a B+ for me for now. I would expect we are challenging for the playoffs but not sure this looks like an automatic promotion squad to me.

Certainly not one that will blow through the league. 

• edited September 2021
    It all turned out as I thought it would. I knew Thomas would open the checkbook. Everyone needs to stop worrying all the time, especially that Henry bloke. Sheesh.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!