Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Sage said:
    The signings today have been strong.

Arter has real quality and I think he will really want to show everyone he has got it. To be prepared to drop to League One says he wants to play and get back to a good level of form.

Lavelle I know nothing about. However, signing a captain from another team in our league, where reports are he’s strong and can play a bit, he’s at a good age and should be coachable, I’d take that. Good luck to him.

Leko is the wildcard we knew about before. If he can produce the moments of magic he did in The Championship, he’ll be class for us in League One. I actually think he was a big factor in us eventually being relegated that season. He never got replaced, and neither did Gallagher. But Leko done well for us and should link up nicely with Stockley. Unfinished business that’s for sure. Cheers Bow.

My main concern is now left back. It’s putting huge pressure on Purrington to be fit and firing quickly. To. It being in a left back is poor to be honest. Not replacing Aneke is shocking but don’t want to cover that now as Leko signing slightly papers over the cracks. Not signing an attacking left back is far, far from ideal. I now hope that there is a left back that is a free agent that can come in and do a good job for us because if we want to get the best out of players like Kirk, we need to allow these players the tools and platform to perform. I actually think Purrington and Kirk could work well. But it’s not good going into the season until January with only Purrington who is not yet fit.

Overall, I think we have got in some very good players over the last 10-14 days. We are still short and some bits do concern me, but the quality of player coming in recently seen far stronger than the quality in the early to middle part of the window.
    Summarises my thoughts well. A strong end to the window but short at left back. 

That being said I doubt there’s any team in the division that has strength in depth in every position.
  • So initial reactions, of the three today (Arter, Lavelle, Leko), what one are you most pleased about?
    Arter for me if he performs as I hope. Great experience, bit of bite and could easily be too good for this league. 
  • If you look back to our halcyon days in the Premier League - and I know we had money - but we could basically field two strong teams and still have four or five strong players not involved.

It was similar in the Chris Powell promotion season although to be fair we had a smaller squad under Lee Bowyer in our last promotion season, although we had a lot of quality in our first team.

What do we have now?

We DO have decent depth everywhere apart from strikers, only TWO experienced first teamers on our books, and left-back, with only Purrington in our squad.

Midfield looks very competitive with Dobson already looking like he will be squeezed out and it looks like Watson was pretty lucky to get signed up for this season as he won't be playing much.

If this team is going to get anywhere near the Play Offs then we need a wide range of players to chip in with goals.

If Stockley plays 46 league games he will score 18-20 league goals - a very decent return.

However, to give ourselves a chance of the Play Offs we need to score at least 70 goals which means we need 50 goals or so from elsewhere in the team, where do they come from?

At best Washington may get 10 over the season so that means we need Lee, Leko, Kirk, Gilbey and DJ to also pitch in with 6 or 7 goals each over the season and we are then getting close.

First Team

MacGillvray

Matthews - Famewo - Innis - Purrington

Arter - Lee - Morgan

Leko - Stockley - Kirk

+++++++++++++++++++++

Reserves

???

Gunter - Lavelle - Pearce - Barker

Gilbey - Watson - Clare 

Jayishemi - Davison - Washington

+++++++++++++++++++

Others

Forster-Caskey, Dobson, Schwartz, Blackett-Taylor, Vennings.
  • Now the dust has settled, my rose-tinted glasses can agree that it's annoying so much happened so late in the day giving the others a head-start, but... another LB aside I'm very happy with that squad. 
    Yes, Stockley is a risk as he's so good, but Washington, now he's freed from LW duties, can certainly cover if we adapt our style slightly. Now blessed with midfielders, CBs must be as strong as any in this league. And I don't think we even used up our full loan complement? Leko, Lee, Arter, Famewo... that's it, right? 

Add the fun 6-1 jaunt this evening and it's been a good day! 
  • So, Thomas has got out his chequebook, again, and we now have a decent squad. A freebee left back would be a good extra but Gunter has covered Purrington's position pretty well. Now it is up to Nige to figure our a formation that will suit the players. Surely Lee has to be a main-man. It remains to be seen if Arter can blow us away...or be a dud. I think Innis will play when fit in a five man defence but we'll see in due course. I think the recruitment team have done pretty well, under financial restrictions. I'll give them 7/10.
    Good night to another deadline day. Phew!
  • So initial reactions, of the three today (Arter, Lavelle, Leko), what one are you most pleased about?
    Lavelle.
    Same, position we needed and sounds a good bet.
  • Sponsored links:

• I loved Leko before. If he's kept his pace, he will be an exciting player for us at this level. 
  • any chance of a free agent lb, like Zeki Fryers, Stephen Hendrie or Neil Taylor?
  • IR94 said:
    any chance of a free agent lb, like Zeki Fryers, Stephen Hendrie or Neil Taylor?
    Think he's too busy commentating on the snooker
  • Very good window, Tom Lowery would have made it perfect being greedy, but should have enough to get us to January and I’m sure based on our league position that Thomas and the team will know what to do.

got a really good feeling about Lavelle 
  • Happy apart from the fact we needed a LB to whom Purrington would be the cover and a striker for when Stockley is out.
  • Off_it said:
    Good window, good squad.
    congrats Recruitment team, NA and TS.
    Automatic promotion here we come.
    COYR
    Why is this liked so much?
    Good window my arse 
    I think it is has now been a good window.
    It hadn't been when the season started.
    We are in the promotion race and anyone that thinks otherwise is simply unhappy for other reasons, nothing to do with Charlton. COYR & thanks to Thomas Sandgaard & the team. 
    Personally I think this view is massively skewed by us winning on Sat. Suspect you (and others) would be saying very different had we played bad on Sat and lost. 
    But we didn't play bad or lose on Saturday, did we?

You could equally say that peoples views had been skewed onto a downer because we hadn't played well or won up until then.

Both statements have credibility, which is why its important to take a balanced view.

A few weeks back the general consensus that we were "5 or 6 bodies short". I don't think anyone was arguing against that.

We've now signed 5 or 6 extra bodies and whilst we can all debate about the positions or the quality of the individuals, there's surely no argument that both the first XI and the squad as a whole are stronger now than they were a couple of weeks ago.

So on that respect it's been a "good" window, and certainly not the total disaster some of the usual suspects were predicting (and possibly even hoping for, bizarrely!)
    Fair point. Had a long day and probably chatting shite. Personally I’m cautiously happy with the signings, but don’t think you can ever say someone is a good or bad signing until seeing some proof one way or another. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    The signings today have been strong.

Arter has real quality and I think he will really want to show everyone he has got it. To be prepared to drop to League One says he wants to play and get back to a good level of form.

Lavelle I know nothing about. However, signing a captain from another team in our league, where reports are he’s strong and can play a bit, he’s at a good age and should be coachable, I’d take that. Good luck to him.

Leko is the wildcard we knew about before. If he can produce the moments of magic he did in The Championship, he’ll be class for us in League One. I actually think he was a big factor in us eventually being relegated that season. He never got replaced, and neither did Gallagher. But Leko done well for us and should link up nicely with Stockley. Unfinished business that’s for sure. Cheers Bow.

My main concern is now left back. It’s putting huge pressure on Purrington to be fit and firing quickly. To. It being in a left back is poor to be honest. Not replacing Aneke is shocking but don’t want to cover that now as Leko signing slightly papers over the cracks. Not signing an attacking left back is far, far from ideal. I now hope that there is a left back that is a free agent that can come in and do a good job for us because if we want to get the best out of players like Kirk, we need to allow these players the tools and platform to perform. I actually think Purrington and Kirk could work well. But it’s not good going into the season until January with only Purrington who is not yet fit.

Overall, I think we have got in some very good players over the last 10-14 days. We are still short and some bits do concern me, but the quality of player coming in recently seen far stronger than the quality in the early to middle part of the window.
    I know you don’t want to go over it, but out of interest could you think of one single player available that would replace Aneke’s goals?

Aneke was a bit of enigma, I’m not sure we’ll ever again see a player be so dangerous from the bench. I think we’ve replaced his 15 goals with the signings of Kirk, Lee and Leko. 
    There's no guarantee that Aneke would've replaced Aneke's goals considering that was his first ever double-digit season above League Two...
  • Gunter, Matthews, Purrington, Inniss, Famewo, Lavelle, Pearce, Watson, Dobson, Clare, Dempsey, Gilbey, JFC, Arter, Lee, DJ, Kirk, CBT, Leko, Washington, Stockley, Davison, Schwartz. 

23 players who would count for the squad cap rules. Could have an effect on whether we will dip into the free agent market. Dempsey, Schwartz and JFC are the obvious ones who may not be included. 
  • I've not done the maths in terms of squad numbers, but with our 3 signings today all being over 21, we must be tight. I'd be amazed if we register Dempsey as part of our squad, and will we have to leave JFC out? Especially if we still want to keep open the free agent option?

That's why I'm really surprised we haven't loaned a young PL LB, as not only would it fill a squad gap, it would be outside the squad limit too.
  • I've not done the maths in terms of squad numbers, but with our 3 signings today all being over 21, we must be tight. I'd be amazed if we register Dempsey as part of our squad, and will we have to leave JFC out? Especially if we still want to keep open the free agent option?

That's why I'm really surprised we haven't loaned a young PL LB, as not only would it fill a squad gap, it would be outside the squad limit too.
    Fortunately I just have :)
  • One thing I do suspect is those poor showings and results v MKD and Wigan May prove pretty influential on our season. 

I suspect a reassessment was made and more budget was made available following those two games. 
    Definitely think Arter and maybe Leko were additions we wouldn't have made. 
  • Don’t get me wrong, the signings of Lee, Leko, and Kirk are all excellent, I mean really strong business for League One.

I’m not saying we will find a player quite like Aneke as he has so much to his game. My point was that we wanted both Aneke and Stockley, we only have one. We seem to have drafted in Davison as the replacement role of Aneke, in the sense of being a striker who will play that number 9 position. The difference is we will lose so much quality and see such a difference if we lose Stockley. I think Davison is alright, but he’s not at the level of striker I hoped we would bring in to replace Aneke if Stockley was unavailable.

We have some really good attacking players not and actually quite a bit of pace which we seriously lacked a couple of weeks ago. I think there will definitely be goals in this team now. The only thing it does is put pressure on players like Stockley and Purrington to stay and get fit, respectively.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!