Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    I've gone on about a left back so will make this the last time. We cannot push for promotion with one recognised LB. We cannot push for promotion if Stockley gets injured. 
    Sorry to sound like a negative nelly and I really hope I am wrong but the balance of our squad seems all over the place.
    I will  support of course but just have a bad feeling about this manager and this team. 
    Is that allowed on here or not?
    It's fair to think that but I think you are vastly overestimating other teams relative to us. I doubt there's many squads/teams in the whole league that are perfectly balanced and have quality in depth.

Yes a few injuries could screw us over, but that's not just us. Any team in the league is a few injuries away from disaster.
    Apart from Ipswich. Not sure what their defensive options are like but they seem to have 3 attacking players for every position. Perhaps they'll be going with an Ossie Ardiles style 3-2-5 formation.
  • edited September 2021
    We're so much stronger than we were a couple of weeks ago. Yeah I would've liked a left back & that's still a concern, just gotta hope purrington stays fit. 

The striker situation is less of a worry for me now. Washington or Leko coild play in a front 2 with Stockley, but If Stockley gets injured, Washington can take the striker role & revert back to a 433 as we now have so many attacking midfield & wing options.

Overall very happy with this window & excited to see where we go from here 

• Left back free agents…

Neil Taylor
    Zeki Fryers
    Scott Golborne
    Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
    Stephen Hendrie
    Brandon Mason
    We're a bit snookered in that position right now, and need a break so it'd be good to get him in.

#taxi
  • Very good window, would say 2 signings away from excellent, 3 from perfect.

• Sponsored links:

• Very good window, would say 2 signings away from excellent, 3 from perfect.

Yesterday’s dealings look very good .  I suspect they’ve looked at this as a 2 year rebuild - we are, imo, a striker away from promotion 
  • From what Adkins said we'll look to get a keeper in on an emergency loan if and when we need to. I'd like to think we're also looking at free agent left backs as Callum mentioned above. Then i think we're pretty set.

We'll surely also see Schwartz leave and probably the likes of Dempsey and Vennings get National league loans.
  • edited September 2021
    Chunes said:
    Adkins did say he was happy with Gunter at left-back. Not everything is a ploy to get fees down. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say it's a lot easier to just take the manager at his word.
    He did say that yes but if Adkins found a guy in bed with his wife, he'd still find a positive in the situation. I can't believe he's honestly that happy that we don't have another natural senior left back.

Plus of course if Matthews gets injured then Gunter will be needed at RB, so it's a bit dangerous to only have 3 players for 2 positions in a 46 game season.
    Clare can play RB. I think he's also mentioned that in an interview.

If we were going to sign a LB, we likely would have signed one.
  • Neil Taylor would be good. 
  • Left back free agents…

Neil Taylor
    Zeki Fryers
    Scott Golborne
    Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
    Stephen Hendrie
    Brandon Mason
    Neil Taylor would be a good signing, someone that Purrington can learn off aswell. Aside the top 3 I don't know much about the others!
  • Solid window.

However - Arter was very good at Fulham.  Not so good at Forest.

Leko was good at Charlton not so good at Birmingham.

A left back and a striker please and we'll compete for promotion.  Without them we are a Stockley injury and Purrington breakdown from struggling against the best in this division. 

Crewe and Crawley dispatched.   Harder tests to come.  The quality of actual signings has been good - not a Matt Smith in sight.
  • I would add, I don’t think any of us should feel let down by the business done. Yes TS made some outlandish statements about blowing the league away but he never promised crazy spending. We’ve paid actual transfer fees for several players and,  if the rumoured fees are correct, it could tott up to over £1 million. I don’t care what anyone says - that’s a stament of intent. We have haven’t spent that kind of money for seasons and seasons. 

None of us know for sure if there was a last minute increase in budget or not but, even if there was, I see that as a positive because it shows that there’s a willingness to learn and adapt. It means the intent was always there, and perhaps it was just over optimism on what was needed to be spent to get what we need rather than penny pinching. 

We may or may not get promoted this season. We may or may not have got this transfer window right in the end. But we are clearly now a million miles from being allowed to die the slow painful death under Roland. 

All I want from an owner is to run the club as a football club, run it sensibly but not solely to try and make money, and to aspire to take the club to bigger and better things while adhering to that ideal
    of preserving its future. I do believe the things TS has done this window, even if it hasn’t been perfect, demonstrate he’s trying to be that kind of good owner. We should be very happy to have that. 
    The final paragraph is very sensible.
  • I think if Purrington will be fine for the majority of the season we'll be ok without another left back.

Biggest concern is if Stockley gets injured, but if we bought a back up they'd be a shit journeyman nobody wants (like Bogle was). I think we have enough goals in our squad now to weather a few games without him. But, we're just going to have to keep our fingers crossed on that one.

Decent window overall - squad looks infinitely better than a month ago. Let's just get a good run going after a tricky start. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
  • Good window, good squad.
    congrats Recruitment team, NA and TS.
    Automatic promotion here we come.
    COYR
    Why is this liked so much?
    Good window my arse 
    Don’t see how you come to the conclusion that the 10 we’ve brought in makes a bad window. 
    Because some of them clearly aren’t good enough 
  • Decent window and we've spent some cash, but if Purrington or Stockley get injured we are stuffed 
  • edited September 2021
    So initial reactions, of the three today (Arter, Lavelle, Leko), what one are you most pleased about?
    Arter should be the best of the lot but the big positive of this window has been finally signing players to long-term deals, so Lavelle. Hopefully it reduces the chance of rebuilding every summer. 
  • Good window, good squad.
    congrats Recruitment team, NA and TS.
    Automatic promotion here we come.
    COYR
    Why is this liked so much?
    Good window my arse 
    Don’t see how you come to the conclusion that the 10 we’ve brought in makes a bad window. 
    Because some of them clearly aren’t good enough 
    It’s not often every signing works out. It’s also too early completely write players off, especially if they’re now squad players.
  • Ended up being quite a decent window 
    Seven out of ten I'd say.
    I would have given a higher Mark had we replaced Aneke and got a left back. 
    But overall not to bad.
  • edited September 2021
    This has not been the rebuilding we all envisioned. 

We have however brought in some real quality in this window and a few that should be good enough at this level to be in and around it. 

Quite honestly I think we'll be the start slow but scrape into the playoffs type team as we gel. 

I am a bit disappointed we didn't find a left back, even on loan but all in all I think we've been shrewd.

(Obviously not chronological order)
    MacGillivray
    Dobson
    Clare
    Famewo
    Blackett-Taylor
    Stockley
    Lavelle
    Leko
    Lee
    Arter
    Kirk