Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• If Purrington is our biggest concern then we have a pretty decent XI. 

Concerned by strength in debt at LB and striker positions, but all in all it was a decent window - I would give it a B grade. 
  • Reasonably happy with how things have turned out……I think the 7.5 score that has been banded around is about right.
    It’s so hard to take that we aren’t as much of an attraction to the next level of player up the scale that we might otherwise have gone after. I have a feeling that it was largely due to personal terms that we weren’t able to bring in some on our wish list, although that’s rather stating the obvious.
    Very interesting times ahead, true we’ve already put ourselves on the back foot as far as automatic promotion is concerned but I am confident that (initially anyway), the playoffs are well within our reach.
    The question of the left back situation has hung around repeatedly over the last month or so but I think in Purrington we have a very able ‘go to’ player, who is now back in full training and should be ready to go quite soon. Personally I have always liked him and look forward to his return.
    Sit back and watch the fun!
  • Oggy Red said:
    Some people questioning Purrington's ability at LB.

Sure, he's not the marauding attacking full back/wingback that perhaps is missing as an option from the squad.

But he's very good at keeping the shape of the defence.

Remember back in 2018/19 after Page was injured, our defence was being pulled all over the place and it was costing us plenty of points?

After Purrington was signed, the defence settled down and was a major factor as we found form to push for promotion. 

He may have his limitations, but Purrington's own strength is that he's a very decent defensive fullback at League One level - as he proved in our 2018/19 promotion team.

Granted, but we signed Kirk who is proven to be much more effective/productive when he has an attacking/overlapping FB behind him.

For me it's not a question of Purrington's ability but his suitability for the system/team as a whole. There's a time and place for steady Eddie solid defending full backs for sure, I'm just not sure this is either.
  • I’m slightly disappointed we didn’t get Simms (Ex Southampton) but happy enough with the players we brought in that position 
  • I’m slightly disappointed we didn’t get Simms (Ex Southampton) but happy enough with the players we brought in that position 
    Still a free agent isn’t he?
  • mart77 said:
    I’m slightly disappointed we didn’t get Simms (Ex Southampton) but happy enough with the players we brought in that position 
    Still a free agent isn’t he?
    Yes but a winger is just about the last thing we need. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    Oggy Red said:

Sure, he's not the marauding attacking full back/wingback that perhaps is missing as an option from the squad.

Remember back in 2018/19 after Page was injured, our defence was being pulled all over the place and it was costing us plenty of points?

After Purrington was signed, the defence settled down and was a major factor as we found form to push for promotion. 

He may have his limitations, but Purrington's own strength is that he's a very decent defensive fullback at League One level - as he proved in our 2018/19 promotion team.

I frequently see things like "He plays simple passes to the winger... He keeps the shape... He defends his post..." But those are the minimum you would expect out of a competent full-back. 

The frequent criticism is that he is very basic. But that's also the praise given in his defense... That he does the basics. So I think we're all in agreement somewhere. He doesn't have anything else to his game and does the basics to a decent enough level. 

I would just hope that we could have good players and not ones that are "decent enough."
  • thenewbie said:
    felix_31 said:
    felix_31 said:
    In my opinion... Great window. Strong team. Spent well over £1,000,000 signing young, talented, motivated players on long term contracts. Also signed players with links to CAFC (Lee, Arter, Leko & Clare) and signed natural leaders and players of the season (Lavelle Kirk & MacG). I also think the temperament of the players we've brought in has been well thought through.

Whats not to like? Yes, we might be a LB or a ST short, but I reckon we might dip into the free transfer market to plug whatever minute holes there might be.

Finally, a sensible window, not one where our sole target is to bring In 'bodies.'
    Wow we spent a million.
    I will go Charlton and support the team as Always but I'm not expecting us to be anywhere near the play-offs.
    I think this is a below average squad.
    I hope I am wrong I honestly do.
    Playing some youngsters through the season will keep me interested and then mount a challenge next season. I'm not in a rush for promotion like others 

I agree re. not rushing - however would you not agree this window is a step in the right direction though, a solid base on which to build? 
    Yes I'd agree we are building.
    I've no problem with that.
    But this squad compared to Sheff Wd, Sunderland,Ipswich even Oxford,  we won't be challenging 
    Way too early to make that prediction. We don't know enough about Lavelle. Dobson and Clare need to improve, but made that first step tonight. We don't know what Leko or Arter we're getting either. I'd also predict few people know much about other League 1 squads in too much depth. Oxford look to have a very decent side but a lot of unknowns beyond that. 
    2 injuries and we are screwed mate
    I think that puts us in the same position as 90% of the teams in the division though. In terms of pure numbers, most teams seem to have made roughly the same amount of signings as we have so I can't imagine that it's only Charlton facing potential injury crises.
    We're coming out of a pandemic which as badly affected football clubs everywhere. Barcelona were holding a fire sale today! With this and the squad cap, like you say a lot of clubs in exactly the same position. We'll need a bit of luck but we added players today, it's slightly unbalanced but could have been a lot worse. 
     I am.not so sure we are out of this pandemic with 33,000 a day infected and 100 deaths a day and a lot of resistance to vaccine in some sections plus people so untiring to wear masks on public transport. 
    I didn't say we were out of it. But with fans allowed back in the ground, then it is getting back to normal for football clubs with increased revenue. Of course another lockdown changes that. However, despite this being the thread to discuss almost everything, it's definitively not to discuss Covid and restrictions. 
    It has to be seen if we are coming out of it and the reasons are as I said. You mentioned the pandemic first and now you want it not discussed.  Why is that 🤔.  It a forum after all.
    I never said it shouldn't be discussed on the forum did I? I said this isn't the thread to do so. There's a whole thread for it so if you want to discuss people wearing masks, not wearing masks or using them to hold their alcoholic beverages then that's the place to do it. I mentioned the pandemic in relation to football clubs and the impact it's had on revenue and consequently budgets for clubs around the world. Dave from Number 42 refusing to have the vaccine doesn't need to come into the conversation. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Oggy Red said:

Granted, but we signed Kirk who is proven to be much more effective/productive when he has an attacking/overlapping FB behind him.

For me it's not a question of Purrington's ability but his suitability for the system/team as a whole. There's a time and place for steady Eddie solid defending full backs for sure, I'm just not sure this is either.
    I wouldn't argue against what you say here. Maybe Kirk could be more effective with an overlapping full back ...... but that's not Purrington's fault.

That's down to the manager to either bring in an attacking fullback. 
    Or change the system to get the best out of the players he does have.

• bit surprised there has not been something today from Nigel welcoming yesterdays new signings, saying how pleased he is with his final squad, etc etc
  • Purrington is nowhere near bad as such.
    In many games his caution or instructions have been to pass back or square for safety when on the ball. But he is capable of overlapping or advancing, can put a ball in, and has been known to appear at the far post and score a goal. Defending per se I am not able to analyse that well. Against a super right winger he is probably less capable than Matthews on the other side.
    He is young enough to learn from experience and be guided by good management and coaching, and he doesn’t seem too dim to learn team play or shape.
    His throw ins are better than Gunter’s.

As an aside, we have a veritable smorgasbord of midfielders now, I wonder where or if a fit again Gilby would fit in, let alone Aaron Henry or @Leuth’s mate Vennings.
    I didn't post it on here but on Monday I did see a Range Rover type car with the number plate S1MCY driving not far (3 miles?) from the training ground. I'm sure it was just a coincidence...
  • bit surprised there has not been something today from Nigel welcoming yesterdays new signings, saying how pleased he is with his final squad, etc etc
    I
    After working past midnight last night and getting home much later, I wouldn't begrudge Nigel Adkins a day off today?  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    Window ended up good i would say - i'm reliably informed that TS spent £2m on transfer fees, loan fees and agents fees and we were trying to buy Leko as well but couldn't agree fee - something that might happen further down the line - i'd like to see a big ovation for TS when he next attends the Valley 
    I'll absolutely second that!! Sorry I can't be at The Valley to personally contribute to a big ovation for TS following from this apparently very productive transfer window!
  • edited September 2021
    when, if at all, are the squads announced?
  • DOUCHER said:
    I'm not convinced that he suddenly doubled the budget as wasn't the plan always to buy quite a few close to the end of the window? It may have cost us some points but i'm genuinely excited to see some of the pace and 'ballers' that we've brought in to compliment what we had - looks a good blend to me.  
    Fair - but I suspect it was raised. 2m in the end you say? I sense it may have been 1.5 at first. We won't know unless TS says I guess.
  • Leuth said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I'm not convinced that he suddenly doubled the budget as wasn't the plan always to buy quite a few close to the end of the window? It may have cost us some points but i'm genuinely excited to see some of the pace and 'ballers' that we've brought in to compliment what we had - looks a good blend to me.  
    Fair - but I suspect it was raised. 2m in the end you say? I sense it may have been 1.5 at first. We won't know unless TS says I guess.
    I think Arter and Lee were the unbudgeted or rebudgeted players. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!